View Full Version : Joba to see Dr. James Andrews

PHX-SOXFAN
08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
This is never a good sign, sending someone to a doctor who rebuilds joints:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3520940

Guess he won't be throwing at Youk's head for a while

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 10:11 PM
It doesn't sound like good news for NYY and Joba no matter what the outcome. I usually associate Andrews with elbow (TJ) issues rather than shoulder, though.

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Hate to say I said this was going to happen.. but.. well.. I did.

i am bob
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Sucks for them. Their pitching is already thin.

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not going to cheer on a player's injury, but that is huge to the Yankees success. If he isn't healthy, their pitching better step up big time or else they won't be making the playoffs.

Tragedy
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Like said, I'll never :clap: at another injury, but, this absolutely helps the Red Sox going forward. I think he's done for the year. Seeing Dr. Andrews = Death.

papipapsmanny
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
does this suprise anyone 1st he fell in the draft due to injury problems, and then the yanks were idiots in how they transitioned him to the rotation, he should have gone to AAA for liek 3 or 4 starts to build arm strength

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I was argued with by just about everyone in the Yankee's forum when I said the following on April 21st.. I was afraid it would happen.. to bad everyone else was mainly concerned with immediate return and not long term affect.

if he doesn't wear out Joba (since Joba is not used to pitching 5 or 6 innings), he will wear down some of the bullpen..

it's just a bad idea.. I think Joba would be a tremendous starter (probably not as lights out as if he took Mariano's role over), but a great person to have in the rotation.. I just think it's the wrong time, he has just spent the last 2 months training in the mentality of a MR/Setup pitcher.. it will have it's toll on his body.. I hope for his sake it doesn't.. wouldn't be right to see him go down because of the likes of Hank.

I am actually genuinely concerned for the health of Joba's arms.. he may not have been brought up to be a setup man.. but he spent last year, ST of this year, and the first month of this season doing just that. His body is in Relief mode.. he could wear down that arm very quickly doing 5 - 6 inning stints.. but oh well.. guess that's what I get for giving a **** about the health of a young top prospect..

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I was argued with by just about everyone in the Yankee's forum when I said the following on April 21st.. I was afraid it would happen.. to bad everyone else was mainly concerned with immediate return and not long term affect.

:clap:

sboyajian = :worthy:

gcoll
08-05-2008, 11:49 PM
I actually felt bad when I saw Joba grasp his shoulder in that start against Texas.

I had mentioned my concern over Joba's health....but I thought it'd be his elbow, not his shoulder. I thought all those sliders could mess up his elbow a la Francisco Liriano.

You worry more with a shoulder though. They're better at fixing elbows. I actually sincerely hope there's nothing too wrong with him. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

kazzy4080
08-05-2008, 11:52 PM
i hope hes ok too i kind of like him cause i always think if he was on the sox id like him

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 11:52 PM
I actually felt bad when I saw Joba grasp his shoulder in that start against Texas.

I had mentioned my concern over Joba's health....but I thought it'd be his elbow, not his shoulder. I thought all those sliders could mess up his elbow a la Francisco Liriano.

You worry more with a shoulder though. They're better at fixing elbows. I actually sincerely hope there's nothing too wrong with him. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Same way I felt last year when Hughes had a no-no through 5 or 6 and he came out sore.. (was listening on the radio on the way home from work and remember actually feel bad for the kid)

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Man, I hope he's alright. He is such a special pitcher... It's a shame to see him go down with an injury.

Superiority
08-06-2008, 12:12 AM
you all sicken me. Putting clapping smileys and crap.

-Lavigne43-
08-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Someone needs to learn how to read.

That's also very hypocritical considering in the Yankee forum people were happy when Ortiz got hurt and Manny was at the time reported to be hurt

knittingmill
08-06-2008, 12:32 AM
:rock::up::laugh::dance::moon::cheer::hi5::cheers:

gcoll
08-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Same way I felt last year when Hughes had a no-no through 5 or 6 and he came out sore.. (was listening on the radio on the way home from work and remember actually feel bad for the kid)

It was actually a similar feeling that I had when I saw Papelbon grab his shoulder a few years ago.

Which was odd. It's kind of that "stomach drop" feeling. Never thought I'd have it for a Yankee player.

kazzy4080
08-06-2008, 12:36 AM

hahahahahaaha

JimmyMal450
08-06-2008, 02:08 AM
This isn't good news for Joba or the Yankees.

Run Gardner Run
08-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Jobas father said its not as serious as people are thinking, dont get all excited yet. But its nice to see some of you have a heart.

Run Gardner Run
08-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Take what you want from this, idk what to believe anymore

“It needs rest,” Harlan Chamberlain told the Daily News in a telephone interview. “Nothing serious, is what I’m told, from talking to Joba. Hopefully, his injury won’t mean he’s out real long. I’m sure he won’t start in (Anaheim). We just have to wait to see what the doctor says. Only time will tell.”

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
does this suprise anyone 1st he fell in the draft due to injury problems, and then the yanks were idiots in how they transitioned him to the rotation, he should have gone to AAA for liek 3 or 4 starts to build arm strength

I totally disagree about his transition to the BP. I thought they did a great job. They started by letting him throw 2+ IP from the bullpen. Once, when it was a save situation, he came out of the game and then went back to the pen to get more pitches in. They set extended pitch count limits on him and pitched to those. When it was time he went into the rotation and another "starter" was ready to pick up the slack when he came out early (60-70 pitches iirc). The pitch count progression was almost identical to what we'll see with Colon or any other rehabbing MLB guy. Please explain what is idiotic about that.

I remember that. At the time I took a lot of crap about suggesting it was a bad idea. My argument was that whether he stayed in MLB or went to the minors the Yankees would effectively lose him for a period of time while he got stretched out. I didn't foresee any arm troubles, though.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I remember that. At the time I took a lot of crap about suggesting it was a bad idea. My argument was that whether he stayed in MLB or went to the minors the Yankees would effectively lose him for a period of time while he got stretched out. I didn't foresee any arm troubles, though.

I think honestly it would have been easier for someone like Kennedy .. but Joba just throws so hard, it seemed inevitable to me.

BRADY4MVP
08-06-2008, 10:35 AM

warning! warning! douchebag alert. Read what most people are saying, they feel bad.

I obv. dont wish injury upon anymore. IF it is serious, that is a huge blow to the Yanks. which translates into good for Sox, thats all. He's a good young pitcher, it sucks that he has arm trouble this early on in his career

Tankjeep
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
^shoulder trouble.

Insanity
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I must say I'm glad to see that people can put aside a rivalry (for the most part) and realize the situation at hand. Many of you feel bad for Joba and I still feel glad for Lester's success. Nothing wrong with a rivalry, but its good that people (or a majority) can reach a common ground.

That being said, they were talking about Dr. Andrews last night and said he wasn't doing many surgerical procedures anymore. If it was absolutely required, otherwise it wouldn't be likely. On a good note, Joba still managed to clock 96 on the radar gun when his arm was buggin' him a bit, something he couldn't have done with anything major.

This season has been filled with a bit of disappointing events, but that happens every once and a while. I'd also like to say, screw the Rays, good luck the rest of the season :D

Bwangster12
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Hahaha... reading this thread was my reaction too. I think it takes a special group of people to actually be happy when guys get injured.

My stomach dropped when Lester was diagnosed with cancer. Anytime a player on the other team gets carted off the field or taken out with clear injury its upsetting. I'm happy they are out, but upset they are hurt.

This group seems happy about him hurting himself.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Hahaha... reading this thread was my reaction too. I think it takes a special group of people to actually be happy when guys get injured.

My stomach dropped when Lester was diagnosed with cancer. Anytime a player on the other team gets carted off the field or taken out with clear injury its upsetting. I'm happy they are out, but upset they are hurt.

This group seems happy about him hurting himself.

I only see two people in this thread who showed positives about him being hurt. One of them was clearing joking in retaliation to Superiority's post.

Learn to read, most of us feel bad about his injury.

TheKid
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM

wow read their messages. they are saying they aren't :clap:

Tragedy
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Dude, not cool.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Dude, not cool.

not positive.. but I think that was in retaliation to Superiority (in jest)

americaspasttim
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM

In this forum we don't get excited when a talented young pitcher no matter which team he is on, gets hurt...

Insanity
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
In this forum we don't get excited when a talented young pitcher no matter which team he is on, gets hurt...

It should always be that way. Website, stadium, friends house, wherever you might be. Doesn't matter what team they play for or whom they are when a kid goes down with something like an injury or something as bad as cancer, you never get excited.

Sportfan
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
BREAKING: joba to DL. i just heard it on the hotlist on espnews

Run Gardner Run
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
He was placed on the 15 day DL which means it isnt too bad or else Cash would have said see you next spring. So this is likely just precautionary. Like I said in the MLB page he will probably sit for 20 days and be back around the 24th or 25th along with Hughes and Pavano

-Lavigne43-
08-06-2008, 04:43 PM
He was obviously joking.

Being placed on the 15 dl does not mean it's just a precautionary thing. I would be worried until Cashmen talks and says it is nothing serious.

Tragedy
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
He was obviously joking.

Being placed on the 15 dl does not mean it's just a precautionary thing. I would be worried until Cashmen talks and says it is nothing serious.

Agreed.

People are just assuming it's not serious because the Yankees are putting him on the DL and not saying "He's done for the year". It could easily be more serious than some of the fans (RGR, clearly) are being lead to believe.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Wasn't Papi on the 15 DL when he was out for like 50 games?