PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James considering Europe?

McAwesomeDude
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

LeBron James

James
A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

So what does everyone think about this???

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
he could sign a 2 year deal and come back at age 25 lol thats how young he is, but if bron goes i dont see any other superstars follow, unless they are aging

POZUNO
08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
he could sign a 2 year deal and come back at age 25 lol thats how young he is, but if bron goes i dont see any other superstars follow, unless they are aging

If LB goes Kobe goes. Both are considering it.

http://rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=nba&hl=99561

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 08:38 PM

yea but kobe is aging still not old though

Dirty Dirk41
08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
ANYONE...and i repeat ANYONE would leave the NBA for 50 million per year. And you can talk all you want about love of the game. But 50 million for one year is just such a large sum. i doubt hell even get an offer that high but if he does and he DOESNT take it i personally wanna hunt down Lebron and set em on fire.

lakerboy
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I see European teams making a huge run at a superstar player in the next couple of years,.. ala David Beckham/LA Galaxy.

fairandbalanced
08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
$50 mill? Dude you can leave.........you ain't that valuable. You playing ball dude, itz not as if you're creating a new microsoft software. 50mill? dude you iz unbelievably overrating what you can do. Nike would ask for their money back cos, you're not gonna be marketable in the states

jmb8311
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
$50 mill? Dude you can leave.........you ain't that valuable. You playing ball dude, itz not as if you're creating a new microsoft software. 50mill? dude you iz unbelievably overrating what you can do. Nike would ask for their money back cos, you're not gonna be marketable in the states

Yes..because Nike only sales merchandise in America...:confused:
and you have to realize that it's not just LBJ they'd be buying, they'd be buying some sort of relevancy for their sport ala Beckham in US soccer.

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
i mean i would go to anywhere in the world for 50mil :D

POZUNO
08-05-2008, 09:09 PM
That Lebron sig is comedy! Never seen that before

danbola
08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
And that would be 50 mil Euro right? Wow.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
If by some miracle this happens, expect David Stern to REMOVE the cap suddenly in the middle of 2010 summer to avoid Melo,Wade, Stou, Bosh etc following him.

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
if the capspace gets removes wow all those NBA LIVE teams will come true

vigilantex69
08-05-2008, 10:43 PM
yea i totally forgot about his endorsement deals. Lebron would never leave for that matter. Nike and Gatorade would both drop him for sure. Not to mention he is worth nowhere near 50 million a year.

cmellofan15
08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
i mean i would go to anywhere in the world for 50mil :D

Who wouldn't? (ur sig is AWESOME)

jrodmesche
08-05-2008, 10:57 PM
europe better back the %^$^ back beacuase there gonna try to take are nba players and if they tryin to get lebron they are taking it to far and i would look down on him if he went to europe for the money

and what are you fonna do with 50 MIL anyways lol

TruWarrior
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Lebron Will Make More Money Than He Can Spend Here In The States. Why Would He Go Play In Europe When The Best Players In The World Are Here In The States. If He Goes Over There For 50 Mill Then As Fans We Then Realize Its All About The Money, He Has Things To Prove Here In The States Like Win A Championship. Go Warriors!!!!!

SAVAGE CLAW
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
You better cross your fingers that Europe does not start taking Basketball serious or NBA is dead.

You know what the Budget of soccer teams is ?

The Real Madrids, Milans, Barcelonas, Manchesters or Bayerns spend like 300 million euros into paying their 25 men rosters.

If they become serious about bringing Basket Stars then Stern will have to remove the cap for sure or either ALL of the talent will go to europe.

See my Post on the subject if you need more info.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255776

NYKnickFanatic
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM

I would go crazy if LBJ leaves the NBA for them.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

*Superman*
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Who wouldn't consider 50M? I don't care if they have to eat **** for it! Its 50M!

downsos
08-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Let him go to Europe, makes it easier for my Bulls to win.

pimpunleashed
08-06-2008, 12:21 AM
According to a person close to LeBron James, the Cavaliers' star forward would consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of $50 million a year or more.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
thats crazy money.

_Sn1P3r_
08-06-2008, 01:42 AM
That is really, amazing money. I hope 'Bron won't go overseas though.

jetsfan28
08-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Whatever agent was the first to tell his player to do this, I'm very, very impressed. No player who makes as much on endorsements as LeBron will go to Europe, unless it's on a 1 year contract, and even that wouldn't make sense because all of the teams who had cleared cap space for him will have spent it on other guys.

JWalk126
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
That is really, amazing money. I hope 'Bron won't go overseas though.

but if he signs with Toronto its ok (britney spears thinks Canada is overseas)

B2B
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
SI.com is saying the Greek powerhouse that signed Josh Childress would make a run at LeBron James to the tune of $50 million for a single season. ESPN qualified it with a "source" close to LeBron saying he's already been contacted by teams abroad and would consider a $50 million season away from the NBA when he hits free agency in 2010. Now all speculation aside, let's get to the honest parts of this both Kobe Bryant and LeBron James will be nice to people who ask this question, they both do tremendous business in international markets as they both have a vested interest in their respective Nike deals. Kobe's deal is a literally a piece of the action, while LeBron's deal is more of a traditional cash deal, but given how much Nike pays LeBron , Nike is not making a lot of money on LeBron, so neither can "blow off" the international notion and insult a market segment.

If a Greek team could land LeBron James and a Russian team could land Kobe Bryant, the NBA would be talking European expansion very quickly, and as the owner of the team in Greece or Russia jockeying a $40 million one year deal into owning an NBA team would not be a bad investment.

This is not a joke move by European basketball, these offers could be very real, but the odds either player ever leaves the NBA while in the prime of their careers is a bit silly, especially when both are making mountains of money in the NBA.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9700

sevanseven
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
is lebron leaving for the 08-09 season?? if so, good. at least it won't make the cav's such an annoying opponent against the bulls.

jetsfan28
08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
It doesn't make sense for him to leave for one season, since teams are clearing cap for that season. Good teams wouldn't have cap room to sign him the next year, and he couldn't get into a big market (which would increase his endorsements). He'd make money in the short term, but lose it in the long term.

lakerfan1
08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I would consider leaving too but what it all comes down to is Lebron wanting to be one of the best ever and going overseas he isnt going to become great he will need to stay in the NBA and win a few rings first.

mikeyvee
08-06-2008, 10:26 PM
i hope he doesnt go to europe
hes a very exciting player to watch

DJ CHACH
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
he should go to europe..at least over there ur allowed to take that 3 steps before u dunk...lebron leads the league in the most uncalled traveled..the man is a freak, but he nba helps out tha guy they annoint as the next one..how did lebron get the king james name without really winning anything? david stern is making a big mistake..the paved road for lebron is too obvious

ragee
08-06-2008, 11:16 PM

Yeah!!! Send Kobe to Europe so I can be a fan of the Lakers! Besides, he can't win a championship in the NBA without Shaq anyway! Hahaha... It will be a great move for Lebron to go to Europe... He will earn a lot more and he could promote basketball there too... When he comes back, he will still be great...