PDA

View Full Version : Miami Claims Bobby Jones off waivers!

fairandbalanced
08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
The Miami Heat announced today that they have claimed forward Bobby Jones off waivers. Jones, a 6’7”, 215-pound forward, appeared in 47 NBA games (two starts) last season with five different teams, including Miami. He averaged 3.8 points, 2.0 rebounds and 11.3 minutes per game while shooting 42.9 percent from the field. He played in 25 games for the Denver Nuggets, nine for the Memphis Grizzlies, six for the HEAT, four for the Houston Rockets and three for the San Antonio Spurs.http://www.nba.com/heat/news/bobby_jones_off_waivers_080805.html

I am thinking, why do we need anymore forward?

fins08
08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Woo! The answer to our problems.
No, the dude is OK, at least I have heard of him. But won't do much. On last years team he would of.

LayZbone
08-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I wish we'd address the Center (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/mark_blount-arton20872-240x240.jpg) situation...

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I wish we'd address the Center (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/mark_blount-arton20872-240x240.jpg) situation...

damn man you should of put a warning, it almost gave me a heart attack what is that ugly thing:)

ATX
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, I just can't tell you how ecstatic I am over this.... :yawn:

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
well im not mad about this because bobby jones was playing decent with the miami heat but i would much rather get a C, but maybe we will use him in a trade :D

ATX
08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Wow, so dude played for 5 NBA teams last year...that's got to be some kind of record...

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
:confused:

I'm not sure what to make of this....Maybe a trade is forthcoming...

J$mo0th_3o5
08-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I misread it I thought it said Bobby Jackson

ATX
08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
:confused:

I'm not sure what to make of this....Maybe a trade is forthcoming...

Ya, this must be a precursor to a trade involving Dorrell Wright if I had to guess...Thoughts?

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 07:02 PM
^Maybe

Or Marion...

ATX
08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
^Maybe

Or Marion...

Hmmm...maybe, but personaly I doubt it. I really want to keep Marion for next season...

LayZbone
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
^Maybe

Or Marion...

true...c'mon Pat, make something happen.

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Hmmm...maybe, but personaly I doubt it. I really want to keep Marion for next season...

yea i just cant wait im picturing thAT trio in my dreams :D
wade beasley marion :jumpy::speechless:

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Ya, this must be a precursor to a trade involving Dorrell Wright if I had to guess...Thoughts?

Who can we get for Dorell Wright?...Maybe it's a package involving Udonis Haslem I don't know, just throwing out the most likely candidates....

LayZbone
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Who can we get for Dorell Wright?...Maybe it's a package involving Udonis Haslem I don't know, just throwing out the most likely candidates....

Ray Felton, Andre Miller, Mo Williams....maybe one of those guys.

Haslem and Wright would be very solid role players for any team...

ATX
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM

I think that Wright still has enough upside to get us a young Center? He also comes cheap, and that has to be attractive to prospective suitors. Who...Who knows? I wish I could speculate further, but honestly I just don't know what the Heat are doing these days...They're so secretive...

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
IF a team believes in wright and has alot of confidence in him that he would turn out to be a good player like we all thought he would become, i think we could get good players in return, besides hes only 22(wow) and good size for a SF

noturnormalhero
08-05-2008, 07:27 PM
why does this topic end with a exclamation point as if it's good news or something to be excited about? why do we need another forward? and even if we send out haslem..we're stuck with this dude coming off our bench? :pity:

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Ray Felton, Andre Miller, Mo Williams....maybe one of those guys.

Haslem and Wright would be very solid role players for any team...

I think that Wright still has enough upside to get us a young Center? He also comes cheap, and that has to be attractive to prospective suitors. Who...Who knows? I wish I could speculate further, but honestly I just don't know what the Heat are doing these days...They're so secretive...

I'll take any of those PG's--In this order--

Andre Miller
Mo Williams
Ray Felton

How you rank them?

And the only young center I could think about is probably Sean Williams and I hope we can get him...I'm not sure if they'll part with Boone though...The Heat are like the CIA now-a-days but it's cool...I can deal with surprises....

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Sean and Boone will be a huge upgrade from that bum Blount hope we get them some how:pray:

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
why does this topic end with a exclamation point as if it's good news or something to be excited about? why do we need another forward? and even if we send out haslem..we're stuck with this dude coming off our bench? :pity:

I was thinking the same thing... :eyebrow:

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Sean and Boone will be a huge upgrade from that bum Blount hope we get them some how:pray:

Definitely!

LayZbone
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I'll take any of those PG's--In this order--

Andre Miller
Mo Williams
Ray Felton

How you rank them?

And the only young center I could think about is probably Sean Williams and I hope we can get him...I'm not sure if they'll part with Boone though...The Heat are like the CIA now-a-days but it's cool...I can deal with surprises....

just like that.

I would definitely consider trading Haslem and/or Wright to NJ for some of their jubilee of young big men. Sean Williams and Stro Swift seem to be the most available...Boone, B.Lopez and Yi are the better prospects to build around for NJ.

daleja424
08-05-2008, 08:00 PM

wright for williams???

LayZbone
08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
wright for williams???

can u give us an initial? there are a ton of williamses. if you're talking about Mo, they won't do it. Marcus Williams is on GS, and he's their only true PG right now. Sean Williams...maybe. But I think we'd have to give em more.

daleja424
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
can u give us an initial? there are a ton of williamses. if you're talking about Mo, they won't do it. Marcus Williams is on GS, and he's their only true PG right now. Sean Williams...maybe. But I think we'd have to give em more.

haha...ya sean. It was just the first thing I tought when I saw we had picked him up. I think its just in case right now...

ATX
08-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't see why NJ wouldn't trade one of thier big men for someone like Wright. They could use a SF, and they're stacked with big men. They seem like the most likely trade partner, however I believe that NJ recognizes that S Willaims could turn out to be a very productive player, thus wanting more in return. But come on, how can they keep Yi, S Williams, J Boone, B Lopez, S Swift and R Anderson...that's six players at 6'10" or taller, with Swift the exception at 6'9". They will inevitable have to trade someone. If I were NJ I would keep Lopez, Boone, and Yi...and yes Williams, but come on Pat...Pry him away, use your Jedi mind tricks...

DrHoops21
08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
yes id make great jizm for a pat jedi mind trick. so great. as long as it doesnt involve ricky davis or smush parker

daleja424
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I dont see the need for a SF on the nets actually. They have Yi now who is a SF and they are thinking lebron down the road. They could take on wright if it gets them another young player...like maybe they would go for cook/wright for williams...

IRUAM #21
08-05-2008, 08:41 PM
This is like our 4th small forward

ATX
08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Well LeBron is still 2 years away...and thats certainly an IF...I understand the ties with Jay Z, and LeBrons desire to become a billionaire, but it's still an IF. My point...everyones point I guess, is that they have an abundance of bigs...We have a dire need for one...I'm just frusterated that we can't address this...but like we discussed last night...Blount and his 8 mil contract...THE DILEMA, I guess we might just have to wait untill his contract is up in '10...but 2 more years of Blount....Maybe he hears all this crticism, and proves us all wrong next year...We can only hope.

ATX
08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
yes id make great jizm for a pat jedi mind trick. so great. as long as it doesnt involve ricky davis or smush parker

haha...Ya the Smush thing was a total disaster, however I can't lie...at the time I was so happy to get rid of Walker, and I truely believed Davis could be a great sixth man...but now in hindsight we have no R Davis (Which is maybe a good thing) and we're stuck sans next years 1st rounder, and with Blount and his hindering contract for two more seasons...Come on Blount bring it next year!...Prove us all wrong!! Learn some D!!!

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
im guessing all the moves will be done after the olympics, hope so

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 09:44 PM
^^^^That sig is hilarious MH!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh2::laugh2:

Queen James! :laugh2:

daleja424
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
im guessing all the moves will be done after the olympics, hope so

that was the funniest shi* ever...:D

DQL
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I smell a Haslem+Wright for Okafor trade

daleja424
08-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I smell a Haslem+Wright for Okafor trade

haha...didnt Okafor already resign... maybe for smith would work...OMG it actually would...but then we would have to trade Marion too...hmmmmm...dilemmas

DQL
08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
haha...didnt Okafor already resign... maybe for smith would work...OMG it actually would...but then we would have to trade Marion too...hmmmmm...dilemmas

I think we still can trade for Okafor? :confused::confused:

daleja424
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey guys I have some CRITICAL NEWS regarding this move...read the highlighted:

The Miami Heat has decided to give journeyman forward Bobby Jones a second chance.

It could be a short one, though.

Released by the Heat in late March after playing with the team on a 10-day contract, Jones was claimed off waivers Tuesday from the New York Knicks.

The move completes a whirlwind for Jones, who was traded along with former University of Florida point guard Taurean Green from Denver to New York on July 28 in exchange for Knicks swingman Renaldo Balkman.

The Knicks then waived Jones and Green, the Cardinal Gibbons product, the following day, on July 29, before their 2008-09 salaries became guaranteed.

Jones' 2008-09 salary, however, does not become guaranteed until Aug. 15. That means the Heat could use his salary in the interim in a trade or simply waive him by that deadline without incurring a financial hit toward its salary cap or luxury tax.

Jones originally signed with the Heat as a free agent on March 12, appearing in six games. He averaged eight points and four rebounds in 23.8 minutes per game for Pat Riley's injury-depleted roster, but then was released after leading the Heat with 15 points in a March 21 game against Washington.

Jones, 6 feet 7 and 215 pounds, played with five NBA teams last season, appearing in 47 games overall, averaging 3.8 points and two rebounds. He played in 25 games for the Denver Nuggets, nine for the Memphis Grizzlies, the six for the Heat, four for the Houston Rockets and three for the San Antonio Spurs.

Originally drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the No. 37 pick in the second round of the 2006 NBA Draft, Jones was traded before his rookie season to the Philadelphia 76ers, appearing in 44 games for the 76ers in 2006-07.

This sounds to me like maybe they are trying to use him in a deal to match salaries so that the team could then release Jones and not have to take on the extra salary... just thought I would through that out there. I am now expecting a trade in the next week or so...

fins08
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Bobby jones!!!!!!

TheHeat3
08-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I thought it said we picked up Bobby JACKSON.... GREAT PICK UP FOR THE HEAT!..BOBBY JONES >>>>> JOSH SMITH :rolleyes: :p

daleja424
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
...everyone make sure you look back a page at the update I posted... good info there!!!

LayZbone
08-05-2008, 10:51 PM

This sounds to me like maybe they are trying to use him in a deal to match salaries so that the team could then release Jones and not have to take on the extra salary... just thought I would through that out there. I am now expecting a trade in the next week or so...

Nice! I think you're right man! :clap:

Master Mind
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM

Good work Daleja!!!!!...I've been a nervous wreck awaiting a deal...:ohno:

Jonathan2323
08-06-2008, 12:43 AM
why would we sign bobby jones?

DQL
08-06-2008, 01:39 AM
I guess his salary is about $500,000. Is that much of a salary filler?

greek miami hea
08-06-2008, 05:17 AM
well im not mad about this because bobby jones was playing decent with the miami heat but i would much rather get a C, but maybe we will use him in a trade :D

yes!!!!!to make a deal sweater

greek miami hea
08-06-2008, 05:19 AM
I am thinking, why do we need anymore forward?

because we might trade one of our forwards

greek miami hea
08-06-2008, 05:22 AM
actually jones is a sg!!!!!!!!!!so it smells something fishy..maybe a cook or wright trade!!!!!!!!!i dont know.everything is possible with pat!!!!!!!!!!

daleja424
08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I guess his salary is about $500,000. Is that much of a salary filler?

Well the league min for a player with 2 years of experience is 770,000 so it has to be at least that much... which could indeed help a deal get through. Everytime you try a trade on the trade machine don't you always get "blah blah blah needs to cute 500,000 from the deal" or something like that? One minimum contract (that can then be dropped by another team after the trade) could be a HUGE asset...

http://www.insidehoops.com/minimum-nba-salary.shtml

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
hummm what does Pat have up his sleeve this time?

daleja424
08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Ira now has conflicting reports. In one article he says:

Jones' 2008-09 salary, however, does not become guaranteed until Aug. 15. That means the Heat could use his salary in the interim in a trade or simply waive him by that deadline without incurring a financial hit toward its salary cap or luxury tax.
...but in another he says:

No-risk proposition: An interesting tidbit about the Heat's waiver claim of swingman Bobby Jones: Because Jones doesn't begin to collect salary until the start of the season, and because his guarantee date is not until Aug. 15, Jones essentially is currently a member of the Heat at absolutely no cost. He, however, cannot be immediately dealt because of the NBA's 30-day rule after waiver claims.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
^^^ humm interesting to see how this will all play out

MiamiHeat
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
wow very interesting stuff cant wait to see what riley got up his sleeve

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
wow very interesting stuff cant wait to see what riley got up his sleeve

wats with the sig??? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BALLER71
08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Smart move, he had that short stint with us.
I liked what I saw :shrug:

daleja424
08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
wats with the sig??? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

you havent seen that? its really funny. its called "solid gold". It was an snl skit. if you find a link post it...

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-06-2008, 11:49 AM
all i could find... on other websites they had but the video was removed by youtube! :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP9opZoCJrs

daleja424
08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
all i could find... on other websites they had but the video was removed by youtube! :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP9opZoCJrs

I know. I looked for liek 15 minutes b4 I gave up... :mad::mad::mad:

fafan
08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
This bobby jones move is nothing of consequence. he is just a filler for us cause it costs nothing to take him. He will be third string or cut before he counts towards anything. sad to say but I don't think this is a sign of any special deal to come.

DQL
08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Ira now has conflicting reports. In one article he says:

...but in another he says:

hmmm sounds like he isn't for dealing. I guess Wright will be moved

greek miami hea
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
hummm what does Pat have up his sleeve this time?

i hope something good!!!!!!