PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Candidates

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
National League:

* Phillies: Brett Myers, Adam Eaton, Tom Gordon, Geoff Jenkins, So Taguchi. Maybe Taguchi could go in a minor deal. Myers makes $12MM next year, but the Phillies would probably prefer to keep him and get him back on track.
* Marlins: Wes Helms, Mark Hendrickson. It wouldn't be surprising to see one of these two guys moved.
* Mets: Johan Santana, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Pedro Martinez, Luis Castillo. We know the stars aren't going anywhere. Pedro and Castillo are especially likely to clear but aren't coveted players.
* Braves: Mike Hampton, Mark Kotsay. The Braves would have to eat all of the remaining $4.6MM to move Hampton.
* Nationals: Austin Kearns, Dmitri Young. Both are signed through '09, and teams won't want to take that on.
* Cubs: Alfonso Soriano, Jason Marquis, Bob Howry, Scott Eyre, Jon Lieber. Marquis still has $11.8MM coming to him through '09.
* Brewers: Eric Gagne, Jeff Suppan, Ray Durham, Bill Hall, David Riske, Guillermo Mota. The Brewers have some undesirable contracts on the books.
* Cardinals: Chris Carpenter, Jason Isringhausen, Adam Kennedy, Cesar Izturis. In general, most contenders probably won't be shipping off veterans.
* Astros: Miguel Tejada, Carlos Lee, Kaz Matsui, Randy Wolf, Jose Valverde, LaTroy Hawkins, Mark Loretta, Brad Ausmus. Multiple candidates to clear waivers, though the Astros still have their eye on the prize.
* Reds: Adam Dunn, Francisco Cordero, Bronson Arroyo, Jeremy Affeldt, Corey Patterson, Javier Valentin, Matt Belisle, Josh Fogg. I'd be surprised to see Dunn get through waivers unclaimed, even though the Reds still owe him $3.9MM. Keeping him now makes the most sense anyway.
* Pirates: Freddy Sanchez, Jason Michaels, Jose Bautista, Chris Gomez, Doug Mientkiewicz. The Pirates don't have any massive, ugly contracts on the books. Sanchez's remaining $7.9MM through '09 is the worst.
* Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson. Nothing too ugly on the books here aside from the Eric Byrnes contract, which runs through 2010.
* Dodgers: Manny Ramirez, Andruw Jones, Jason Schmidt, Rafael Furcal, Jeff Kent, Nomar Garciaparra, Juan Pierre, Angel Berroa, Pablo Ozuna. I'm sure the Dodgers wouldn't mind unloading Jones or Pierre to clear up the outfield a bit.
* Rockies: Todd Helton, Kip Wells, Yorvit Torrealba, Willy Taveras, Cory Sullivan, Glendon Rusch. Helton's back is still bothering him, not that there'd be interest anyway.
* Giants: Barry Zito, Randy Winn, Dave Roberts, Omar Vizquel, Rich Aurilia, Brad Hennessey, Kevin Correia, Tyler Walker. Brian Sabean should be active in trying to unload a few of these contracts.
* Padres: Greg Maddux, Trevor Hoffman, Tadahito Iguchi, Brett Tomko, Wil Ledezma. If the Dodgers do try to acquire Maddux, it's possible another team could claim him just to block the trade.

MLB TR (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/waiver-trade--1.html)

American League:

* Rays: Trever Miller, Jonny Gomes. Gomes is already earning $1.275MM this year; he might be a non-tender candidate after the season. Miller is earning $2MM. Both are having poor seasons.
* Red Sox: Jason Varitek, Julio Lugo, Mike Timlin, Alex Cora. These players should pass through waivers unclaimed, but no one will want to trade for them. Lugo has $20.8MM remaining on his contract.
* Yankees: Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Bobby Abreu, Johnny Damon, Ivan Rodriguez, Carl Pavano. Many of the Yanks' high-priced stars could clear waivers, but trading them wouldn't make sense. Pavano could be moved in the right situation.
* Blue Jays: Scott Rolen, Vernon Wells, Lyle Overbay, Gregg Zaun. The Jays don't seem likely to attempt to unload any of these contracts, except maybe Zaun. Jon Heyman believes A.J. Burnett could also slip through waivers.
* Orioles: Aubrey Huff, Melvin Mora, Ramon Hernandez, Jay Payton, Jamie Walker. It's not hard to envision most of these guys clearing waivers, and maybe a few salary dump deals can be worked out. Huff's .912 OPS ranks 10th in the AL, and he has about $10.5MM left on his contract through '09. I could see a team claiming him.
* Twins: Michael Cuddyer, Mike Lamb, Adam Everett. These players should all clear waivers. Lamb and Everett could become DFA candidates.
* White Sox: Jim Thome, Ken Griffey Jr., Paul Konerko, Jose Contreras, A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Uribe, Mike MacDougal. The Sox have plenty of high-priced vets who could make it through waivers. Konerko would be tough to move given his poor performance and 10-and-5 rights.
* Tigers: Gary Sheffield, Edgar Renteria, Kenny Rogers, Todd Jones, Dontrelle Willis, Nate Robertson. The Tigers are seven games out in the AL Central; a few weeks from now they might look to get some money off the books.
* Royals: Jose Guillen, Jimmy Gobble, Ross Gload. Gobble and Gload don't seem likely to help a contender, while the Royals apparently want to keep Guillen. Jon Heyman believes Mark Grudzielanek would clear.
* Indians: Paul Byrd, David Dellucci, Jamey Carroll. Byrd has almost $2.5MM left on his deal, but we could still see a team put in a claim. Jon Heyman thinks Byrd will clear waivers.
* Angels: Garret Anderson, Gary Matthews Jr., Justin Speier. The Halos have some questionable contracts, but trades are not expected.
* Rangers: Kevin Millwood, Vicente Padilla, Michael Young, Frank Catalanotto, Marlon Byrd. It wouldn't be surprising to see Catalanotto and/or Byrd moved this month. Padilla is owed more than $17MM through '09. If a team claims that contract maybe the Rangers should let him go.
* Athletics: Eric Chavez, Emil Brown. An August deal seems unlikely for the A's.
* Mariners: Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista, Jose Vidro, Kenji Johjima, Miguel Cairo. All kinds of bad money here. Washburn has another $13.45MM coming through '09, but he might be claimed. Jon Heyman believes Adrian Beltre would also clear waivers.

MLB TR (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/waiver-trade-ca.html)

Some interesting names here.

Tragedy
08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Eh.

Waiver period is too difficult to read into. They try and pass pretty much everyone through waivers.

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I agree, but I saw it, and I just posted it.

A lot of those guys are not going to come close to going into waivers:

-Johan Santana
-Alfonso Soriano
-Carlos Lee
-Derek Jeter
-Vernon Wells
-Jim Thome

All pretty much franchise guys.

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
It's all just a method to get more options for trades past the deadline.. the odds of Tek going is not good.

The Intimidator
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm hoping that we can pick up a reliever through the waiver wire during the month...

tonyd3b54
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
ya im open to pretty much any reliever we can get our hands on... kinda feeling a bard call up tho...

brandonwarne52
08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I agree, but I saw it, and I just posted it.

A lot of those guys are not going to come close to going into waivers:

-Johan Santana
-Alfonso Soriano
-Carlos Lee
-Derek Jeter
-Vernon Wells
-Jim Thome

All pretty much franchise guys.

Has to do with money, actually.

Either way, Cuddyer wouldn't clear waivers and the Twins have no reason to trade him.

The Intimidator
08-05-2008, 06:27 PM
ya im open to pretty much any reliever we can get our hands on... kinda feeling a bard call up tho...

that's what i'm hoping for as well...i hope that the organization feels that he's ready.

cocossox
08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm hoping that we can pick up a reliever through the waiver wire during the month...Scott Eyre was released by cobs today could he help?