PDA

View Full Version : Spain's chances in the Olympics, Ricky Rubio this kid is good

Knickrocketsfan
08-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Ricky rubio is probably goin to be a top 3 pick in next years draft, moreover he is killing it in the Olympics, he has great ball handling a good shot and he is only 17 come on that is just unfair, IMO Spain is the team to beat with the gasol brothers and rubio. Just want to know what u guys think.

From NBADRAFT.NET
Strengths: The problem with Ricky Rubio is: Where to start? He has more skill than anyone in his worldwide age group. Including but not limited to: Defense, anticipation, intelligence, ball handling, PG (vision) creation, rhythm, coordination, ambition, scoring and personality ... He is practically ambidextrous, has good foot speed (not great) and excellent body control ... With excellent use of speed/ direction changes he excels both on the open court and the half court game as a set up or assist man ... Catch and shoot is quick and clean ... A smart rebounder, he gets optimum position under both boards ... Voted the best Euro young player for 2007, he has only acceptable shooting %'s both from 2 and 3 points. His shooting delivery is consistent with no waste of time or extra movement. I ve thought about it a lot and think the best comparison to past-present NBA players would be the best of both Walt Clyde Frazier and Steve Nash ... At 17 years old he is already a feared and well respected ACB and Euro-level competitor. He is a warrior and plays all out, all the time. On top of that knows how to flop (with this kid it's an art form) ... He's also a master at getting to the FT line, where he knocs down a high rate (80%) ... Adventurous in his passing, he has two skills; Seeing and when necessary, creation of passing lanes. Excellent. Statistically he is a gem and he has personality. He leads. He knows how to win ... He will become a household name in many more households.

Weaknesses: His outside shooting needs to continue to improve ... Maturity will bring the necessary leg strength and stability to shoot with better consistency ... His ratio of Assists/ Turnovers needs improvement, time and experience being the only necessary elements required. Related to this: His youthful inexperience sometimes gets him caught out of control when competing with physically stronger men at the highest Euro level ... He is thin but will fill out as his frame is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLGzkhRHN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnKmfAe-Bg&feature=related

McAwesomeDude
08-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Ricky rubio is probably goin to be a top 3 pick in next years draft, moreover his is killing it in the Olympics IMO Spain is the team to beat with the gasol brothers and rubio. Just want to know what u guys think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLGzkhRHN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnKmfAe-Bg&feature=related

How about the United States with more Big name players on our select team then most countries have on their real team. I'm gonna say the US sweeps the olympics this year...easily.

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
i wanna see this ricky rubio guy play vs usa i wanna see how good he is

Knickrocketsfan
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
How about the United States with more Big name players on our select team then most countries have on their real team. I'm gonna say the US sweeps the olympics this year...easily.

How can u say that after watching todays game vs Australia they struggled against a team resting there best player Bogut come on get real

bogdanrom
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Slow down there, buddy. The last couple of years will prove you wrong. Even today, We barely beat an Australian squad without their best player Andrew Bogut. I am still confident we will gold, but it definitely won't be the 92 Olympics style.

lakers4sho
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't want the games to be blowouts, that would be less entertaining.

_Sn1P3r_
08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Slow down there, buddy. The last couple of years will prove you wrong. Even today, We barely beat an Australian squad without their best player Andrew Bogut. I am still confident we will gold, but it definitely won't be the 92 Olympics style.

I agree. Teams have definitely got tougher. Struggling against Australia today can be pretty scary for how they will do against the better teams.

Goon.Weezy
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
wow this kid is impressive.......the true task for him is when he faces usa.. and goes against j-kidd cp3 and d-will.......but it doesnt matter cuz SPAINNNN IS GONNA WIN THE GOLD

IS27NY
08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
How bout those kids Bron, Wade, Bryant, Melo, Bosh heard they ok

lakers4sho
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I hope Spain lives up to its hype and provides Team USA with real competition...same goes with Argentina and Greece :up:

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
spain and argenttina and greece should give usa a hard time but i still see them winning gold.

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
it would be pretty funny with all these hype about Spain and Greece and Argentina and then when team USA plays them USA whoop their *****

Halladay
08-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I think some Americans are a little overconfident about their team.The international scene has exploded over the last 5 years or so(think Dirk, Nash, Parker, Manu etc etc). Now, I know the States has superior skill level compared to any other country by far but skills don't always result in wins. International basketball is a different animal. Alot of these teams have been playing with each other for years and years...America has by far the best team on paper but we all know that just because it's on paper doesn't always equal wins. It's not a cakewalk anymore.

Halladay
08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
it would be pretty funny with all these hype about Spain and Greece and Argentina and then when team USA plays them USA whoop their *****

Unlikely. Spain has a great team and they've been playing together since they were teenagers.

lakers4sho
08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Unlikely. Spain has a great team and they've been playing together since they were teenagers.

I hope so, I really hope so :pray:

POZUNO
08-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Guess no one here likes Germany huh. Kaman and Dirk the next dynamic duo?

lakers4sho
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Guess no one here likes Germany huh. Kaman and Dirk the next dynamic duo?

The problem is, that's all they've got. Their backcourt is below average as well.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I wouldnt put Expectations too high on Spain this time, and im spanish.

There is a new coach with a new sistem and he just took the job a month ago.

The old chemistry is broken too because of how badly they fired the Previous Coach.

As for Rubio i doubt he`ll get a lot of Playing Time Against Usa.

Youll have to check Spains game vs angola for example.

lakers4sho
08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I wouldnt put Expectations too high on Spain this time, and im spanish.

There is a new coach with a new sistem and he just took the job a month ago.

The old chemistry is broken too because of how badly they fired the Previous Coach.

Youll have to check Spains game vs angola for example.

Is that a recent game? I'm looking for recent games (full games, not just highlights) over the internet but all I could find are Eurobasket games which was in 2007.

Where can I find Spain vs. Angola?

SAVAGE CLAW
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I meant that you pay attention at Spain games at the olympics, not only the clash with the USA but the games against China or Angola too , of course only if they are airing them ( here they air every game for every team not only Spains games).

The motivation for that is that i feel that Against the tougher oposition as Usa and Greece the Coach wont play him much time due to his lack of experience.

But in the games against " Inferior" Competition he might see a lot of Playing time just to get used to the Teams Game.

Knowledge
08-05-2008, 10:11 PM
i think the US will win but that doesnt mean they are unbeatable. Austria and Russia both proved that if hustled back on D to stop transition baskets and play zone you can slow down team USA. Also they showed how a good half court offense can create shot opportunities no matter who is playing D.

We are still favorites, but coach K and those guys still have a tough road ahead of them. They need to move the ball better and stop trying to show off.

lakers4sho
08-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I meant that you pay attention at Spain games at the olympics, not only the clash with the USA but the games against China or Angola too , of course only if they are airing them ( here they air every game for every team not only Spains games).

The motivation for that is that i feel that Against the tougher oposition as Usa and Greece the Coach wont play him much time due to his lack of experience.

But in the games against " Inferior" Competition he might see a lot of Playing time just to get used to the Teams Game.

Lucky! I wish they would air all games over here in the U.S., but I doubt it :rolleyes:

SAVAGE CLAW
08-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Well its not that they air them for free, it will be on Pay Tv, Lucky that i work at night in a Hotel reception so ill be able to use the Lobby 55" Plasma and watch it for free :D

Joshtd1
08-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I hope we win Gold, but after watching the game against Russia, and then seeing the score today...Im wary of how USA will do against the medal teams.

Hellcrooner
08-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Hey claw guess who is gonna come around to your hotel to see that plasma!!!!

:p

DaddyCool
08-06-2008, 04:14 AM
In a best out of seven series I'd take USA over anyone. However in a single elimination match, there a quite a few teams of taking them out. Spain, Agrentina, Australia, even China.

Knickrocketsfan
08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=SAVAGE CLAW;6166530]I wouldnt put Expectations too high on Spain this time, and im spanish.

idk about that I mean I been following this kid for about a year and a half now and by watching his game I feel he may be the best point guard on the team. Spain can not just not play him b/c of lack of experience, the if the U.S team was like that then paul, williams, redd, kobe, howard shouldn't play. Rubio is well accustomed to the international game so he really doesn't need to adapt like the new players on the U.S team. I Still say SPAIN WINS GOLD just too much chemistry and talent Yes I feel the chemistry of the team is better than ever. The gasol brothers are going to be beasts especially mark. The US team and all USA fans are overconfident im not saying that they don't have a good chance to win, but I just don't like the concept of throwing 12 staes together for like a year and a half and say they have built chemistry just like the other international teams who have played together since they were teenagers.

Hellcrooner
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Runio the best PG from spain?

Uhhhhh wellll he is talented and all and a very big prospect.......but man you have CALDERON there........and Raul Lopez who used to Start for the jazz....

I agree tough that the new Coach could be a bad idea since everybody on the team Loved Pepu the former coach and knew how he played.

Halladay
08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I know I was trying to figure out how people seem to forget about Calderon...the guy is a top 10 maybe top 5 PG in the NBA.

grkmaster
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM

At least Greece beat USA already !

Halladay
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
At least Greece beat USA already !

Where's that Georgeos Prinzentis guy the Raptors drafted a few years ago? Or do you not have any idea who I'm talking about?

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
The ESPN announcers said that Spain's coach is a really good coach that can change defenses several times during the course of a game. Are they referring to the old coach, or the new one? Can either Hellcrooner or Savage Claw confirm this?

grkmaster
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Where's that Georgeos Prinzentis guy the Raptors drafted a few years ago? Or do you not have any idea who I'm talking about?

NO damn clue....

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I was just checking the Raptors draft history, they never drafted a Greek player, or a guy named Georgeos Prinzentis :confused:

Joshtd1
08-06-2008, 01:39 PM

He was drafted by the Spurs, and traded to the Raptors for a 2nd round pick in this years draft I believe. It is the reason we had pick 45 I think.

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh I see who you're talking about. He's part of the Greek Olympic basketball team, so we should be able to see him in action against USA. He currently plays for Olympiacos.

Hellcrooner
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Spain did defeat Pierces usa in 2002.

Hellcrooner
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
In INDIANAPOLIS aka HOME

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
The ESPN announcers said that Spain's coach is a really good coach that can change defenses several times during the course of a game. Are they referring to the old coach, or the new one? Can either Hellcrooner or Savage Claw confirm this?

Hellcrooner can you please respond to my question? :D

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't think Rubio will log major minutes being young and all. And they have really good guards in José Manuel Calderón, JCN, and Rudy Fernandez.

Dirty Dirk41
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Judging by what i hear and read it seem Rubio is better than calderon

Knickrocketsfan
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Judging by what i hear and read it seem Rubio is better than calderon

Exactly the point I've been trying to make here, I've seen calderon play in the nba and im not impressed. With rubio u can see that talent he has and u just know he will be the next nash/walt. I forgot who said he is a top 5 or mabey top 10, but i'll name 10 better pg than calderon: paul, kidd, williams, bibby, parker, alston, tj ford,rose, nash, davis, billups, miller, nelson, arenas, yeah that not any any order but I would take all of them over calderon.

HOZ THE KNICK
08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
they will lose to us in the gold medal game.

knicks1214
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I think he is going to be good but not incredible like everyone else seems to think...he already has a Lebron like Ego when he plays, which can be good or bad, but if he keeps that while in the NBA, he will get smacked by the players on his team and other players in the NBA...he has very good court vision and plays pretty good defense but his shot takes too long to release...hes not like CP3 who can get away with a semi slow release because he is nowhere near as quick or fast as Paul. If he changes his shot mechanics, I can see him as a better version of Calderon when he maxes out his potential...nothing really more. Maybe a 13 and 10 guy, which is still very very good. Rockets fan, I would put only a few of those guys ahead of Calderon...

Knicks845
08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I wish this dude comes to the knicks he has **** loads of potential...

GCOOKIE7
08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
if the US had trouble with that ****** Australian PG they will have way more trouble with Jose Calderone

knicks1214
08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
ASIDE from the fact that the Australian point guard was lightning quick...similar to AI when he was younger (speed/quickness wise.) Calderon is not faster than CP so I doubt they will have problems guarding him, aside from trying to force him into turnovers.

Knickrocketsfan
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I wish this dude comes to the knicks he has **** loads of potential...

yeah me too man... I look at it this way ir won't be a successful season if we don't win atleast 48 games and if we don't do that than I rather the knicks win 10-15 games and get one of the top 2 picks and get rubio u have to think he wont drop lower than 2 mabey if someone is lucky 3

Dirty Dirk41
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
^^Is he even going to be in the 09 Draft.. i thought he was comming out in 2010..who knows.

Knickrocketsfan
08-06-2008, 11:29 PM
^^Is he even going to be in the 09 Draft.. i thought he was comming out in 2010..who knows.

Yeah he coming out this draft coming up he really has nothing more to do internationally, he already won the MVP of his league at 17. so he's coming over this draft... also look at http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ricky-Rubio-1155/ which currently has him ranked #1 in the 2009 draft. This kid is sick projected to be like steve nash but with defense

Dirty Dirk41
08-06-2008, 11:41 PM
yeah ive been there a read that.. they also got a scouting report on him at nbadraft.net but they have in the their 2010 mock draft. thats why i asked.

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 11:49 PM
If he enters the draft next year who do you think will pick #1 overall? Knicks? I'm sure D'Antoni would love this kid because he can thrive in a run-and-gun offense...

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Knicks, Griz, Pacers, T'Wolves will be fighting for the number 1 pick IMO

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 12:11 AM
So it's tanking season again? :sigh:

Hellcrooner
08-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Hellcrooner can you please respond to my question? :D
Aito sure is one of the most high IQ coacehs here in spain, he knows his stuff and is tecnichally perfeect, he knows when and how get a TO to break other teams momentum for example.

He is one of the most succesfull Coacehs too he has like 10 or 12 spanish "rings" and like anotehr 10 or so spanish CUps, training Barcelona or HJouventud.

He has also amazing scotuing abilities, he is the one that Nrought up Gasol, Navarro, Rudy or RUbio for example.

But he has too big an ego wich makes his clash with teh stars and he is known for his bad relatonship with players.

Former COach Pepu, was a Simple Man with not Curriculum at all but the chemistry was Awesome with him.

So im not sold on how players are gonna take the change of Trainer.

Also Pepu was kind of " go out and have fun" guy with relaxed training while Aito is a Popovich Like mother****er.

Thats never popular with players.

cmellofan15
08-07-2008, 01:34 AM
I don't think that Calderon being fast is going to change the whole game. They are a good competition but I don't think they are better than the USA.

BTW Is Josh Childress playing for Greece?

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Aito sure is one of the most high IQ coacehs here in spain, he knows his stuff and is tecnichally perfeect, he knows when and how get a TO to break other teams momentum for example.

He is one of the most succesfull Coacehs too he has like 10 or 12 spanish "rings" and like anotehr 10 or so spanish CUps, training Barcelona or HJouventud.

He has also amazing scotuing abilities, he is the one that Nrought up Gasol, Navarro, Rudy or RUbio for example.

But he has too big an ego wich makes his clash with teh stars and he is known for his bad relatonship with players.

Former COach Pepu, was a Simple Man with not Curriculum at all but the chemistry was Awesome with him.

So im not sold on how players are gonna take the change of Trainer.

Also Pepu was kind of " go out and have fun" guy with relaxed training while Aito is a Popovich Like mother****er.

Thats never popular with players.

Why did they fire (or replace) coach Pepu Hernández? :confused:

Hellcrooner
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Because of a sudden Jealousy attack of the federation Presidnet.

He couldnt stand how pupular the coach had become, because the wanted to be the Begining and the end for all spainssucces and that people gave him the credit, so he couldnt stand the coach and ultimatelhy fired him.

Great idea isnt it? a total of 30 games with a 29-1 record a world championship and a silver medl in euro championship and you fire him....

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Because of a sudden Jealousy attack of the federation Presidnet.

He couldnt stand how pupular the coach had become, because the wanted to be the Begining and the end for all spainssucces and that people gave him the credit, so he couldnt stand the coach and ultimatelhy fired him.

Great idea isnt it? a total of 30 games with a 29-1 record a world championship and a silver medl in euro championship and you fire him....

Wow that's an amazing record! And I bet that 1 loss was from the United States :D

But still...why would the President intervene with basketball that has nothing to do with politics and the government whatsoever. And Coach Pepu has only been coaching the Spain national team for what? 2 years?

Hellcrooner
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
No, in fact only loss was against russia by 1 point and with the refereee missing a last call on a foul over gasol in the euro final.

Hellcrooner
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
The president of the Bsketball federation, not the president of the nation :)

Yes Pepup coached just for two seasons.

The previous coach had been fired too because of still to be cleared reasons after 1 silver and 1 BRonze eurochampionship medals.

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
The president of the Bsketball federation, not the president of the nation :)

Yes Pepup coached just for two seasons.

The previous coach had been fired too because of still to be cleared reasons after 1 silver and 1 BRonze eurochampionship medals.

Oh, anyways, I hope this new coach Aíto and the Spain team can provide team USA with real challenge ;)

So if he's the coach of Joventut, he's Rubio's coach as well??

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
No, in fact only loss was against russia by 1 point and with the refereee missing a last call on a foul over gasol in the euro final.

Yeah I heard that Russia upset Spain in Eurobasket 07 IN Spain. I don't know the details though.

Hellcrooner
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes Aito has been the coach he last few Years on JOuventut

He has developed Rudy Fernandez and he briught up Rubio from teh Juvenile schemes of the team to the first team when he was 15!!!!.

He also brought Pau Gasol and Navarro from the Juvenile Schemes into the first team of Barcelona.

He has a real good Eye when it comes to prospect and reaaly good skills developing them.

He has resigend as Jouventut coach anyway to take the job with Spanish National Team.

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes Aito has been the coach he last few Years on JOuventut

He has developed Rudy Fernandez and he briught up Rubio from teh Juvenile schemes of the team to the first team when he was 15!!!!.

He also brought Pau Gasol and Navarro from the Juvenile Schemes into the first team of Barcelona.

He has a real good Eye when it comes to prospect and reaaly good skills developing them.

He has resigend as Jouventut coach anyway to take the job with Spanish National Team.

Maybe we can hire him to work for the Lakers :D

Hustla23
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I can't wait to see this dude Rubio play. They say he can be Steve Nash x 20.