PDA

View Full Version : Our safeties aren't perfect, but I like them.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
A lot of fans really don't like what we have at safety. I personally like our 3 safeties. Sure we don't have an Ed Reed or a Kerry Rhodes, but I think we're solid there.

Atari Bigby had some rough games, but I really think he turned around as the season progressed, it was only his first season as a starter. I think he can only get better in coverage. Nick Collins is pretty solid, especially in coverage. I think he gets a bum rap because he doesn't make big hits or have big interceptions, but he's generally solid in coverage. And we have Aaron Rouse, who a lot of fans think could start. He's a very interesting player.

Considering where the cameras are focued on the field, you usually see a safety only when they are caught out of position, or going out of their way to make a tackle, I think a lot of Packers fans don't see the good our safeties do enough.

Thoughts?

lavell12
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Bigby was awesome during the playoffs. I think Collins and Rouse can be good as well.

nosferatu
08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Collins is average at best, Bigby and Rouse I believe actually have a chance to be impact players on a good defence, lets just hope we stay healthy up front on D

newdude
08-05-2008, 04:00 PM
-Bigby had mental lapses now and then, but he brought his game up towards the end.

-Collins, in my eyes, have one of the worse hands out of all our DBs. he cannot take the chance and make it happen, not a true playmaker. Well for coverage, he is meh, and don't use his speed to his advantage. Gets way too behind an opponent.

-Rouse, showed glimpses of a playmaker and a guy who takes chances. Can't be sure, need to see more, but many ppl were high on him when we drafted him.

I think our safeties r not so good with the "supporting" role. When I see them helping out in coverage with a cb, it just makes me cringe, like they aren't even there. They get beat along with the main defender and sometimes get burn even worse. Or when the cb/lb bump-then-pass on the wr to the safety, they quickly loses position. I don't know if u guys understand this para. but still they r meh so far.

RcrkllrH2
08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
bigby is either going to be a beast, or completely terrible....if hes playoffs bigby, he will be a force in this league...but if he is the bigby from the first 10 or 11 games, he is gonna give up every TD thats scored, although he did get better, hes got to keep up that playoff intensity

collins is serviceable...he can play well enough to get the job done, but is not good enough to really be a playmaker in this league, hopefully he can improve

rouse i think is the best we got, whenever he was in he was able to hit hard and be around the ball

i think bigby and rouse have the most potential to be the two starters and really make some plays, but any combination of the three will get the job done enough to prevent a ton of yards or TDs

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I like Rouse, Bigby came on very strong last year after sucking badly most of the season. Collins is OK. He gets burnt sometimes, but he never does anything special. Can't make a play to save his life. This year is do or die for him, with us at least. Rouse is pretty interesting, can't wait to see more of him in preseason. Not sure if he's polished enough yet to start, but I like to think he'll be our starter eventually. I like all of them better than Marquan Manual, but if Collins has a bad year I'll officially hate him.

servais77
08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Nick Collins is garbage. I really like Bigby and Rouse though.

hughest4
08-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I guess our safety situation is ok, but i'm still slightly concerned. Atari Bigby and Aaron Rouse have a ton of potential and have shown flashes of greatness but who really knows what they are going to give. Nick Collins in my mind is average at best. I have never been overly impressed with him

hgtiger32
08-05-2008, 06:49 PM
i think that the Packers might have to trade one of their safties....probably nick collins

newdude
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
i think that the Packers might have to trade one of their safties....probably nick collins

Why do we have to?:confused:

ryanph30
08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Bigby is a beast. He easily could have and should have made the pro bowl last year.

Collins is just OK to me, I really Rouse and I think we will eventually take the starting spot and do well in it.

PackAttack09
08-05-2008, 10:15 PM
peprah has been drawing praise now too... the depth is really starting to grow on this team. special teams should be badass...

socalpkrbkr
08-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Nick Collins is garbage. I really like Bigby and Rouse though.

Ha ha! Garbage, was Ahmad Carrol. I feel the same way about the other two that are mentioned. They're both still young still and have a ton of potential. I really like the fact that they can lay the enemy out.

Nick Collins in my mind is average at best. I have never been overly impressed with him

This is more what I'm thinking at this point in time as far as Collins goes.

SwaggaIke
08-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Bigby isn't GOING to be a beast, he IS a beast. That man brings the wood. Reminds me of Anthony Smith, minus the guarantees.

SDteacher
08-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Bigby is good, and everyone who I've talked to (Shannon Sharpe, Bob Poppa, Adam Schein, Gill Brandt, Randy Cross, Peter King and Karl Banks) thinks that Bigby is the real deal and that this year he will continue to grow off his strong finish. They are also not near as low on Collins as many of us are. That being said, they think that Rouse will over take him, Collins, by mid season. I'm pumped. If Rodgers plays well, I think we're looking really good.

Martz
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Bigby you guys have to remember, that last year was his first full year in the league. He's still learning the position, and as the year went on he got better. That is very promising.

Collins, i feel is a great athlete, maybe the best one out of the safeties, that doesn't trust himself or his talents. He's to tenative and he hesitates. He could be special but he just doesn't want to do it for whatever reason. It's going into your 4 year....if your still having mental issues with assignments which is preventing you from going all out, then when are you gonna snap out of it. This year is his last chance to be special.

Rouse...with him, it's only a matter of time.

BrewCityBuck
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM

What would be the point of that? Nick Collins has been a solid starter for us, and even if he does lose PT to Aaron Rouse, Collins would be great for our depth considering he has so much experience/starts already.

hughest4
08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Bigby is a beast. He easily could have and should have made the pro bowl last year.

I agree with your first part that Bigby is a beast, but do you honestly think he should have made the pro-bowl last season? The first 8-10 weeks of the season he made so many mistakes and was average at best. He showed some flashes but overall the bad outweighed the good. The final 6 games plus the playoffs he played much better defense and was one of our best players. If he would have played the whole season like he did the last 6 weeks then i would agree with you

XJW18
08-07-2008, 01:39 AM
i wanna see Aaron Rouse play big this year!!

TravisU
08-07-2008, 04:57 AM
This is only my 2nd post ever but i still feel like adding my 2 cents. I think Collins is ok, not bad but not great. I think if Bigby plays like he did at the end of the year then he will be a stud obviously, and if Rouse plays like he did and develops even more then he could be dominant, so i guess i think at the end of the year it will be Bigby and Rouse and we'll be set with them for a while.