PDA

View Full Version : This 'QB Competition' Crap.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
I've said it probably 10,000 times already, but the people that want a competition or are pissed about not having one keep bringing it up.

How on earth can you determine a winner, in a QB competition in training camp or the preseason? You cannot determine who your starting QB is when your QB's are wearing red jerseys and practicing.

You cannot determine who your starting QB is going to be when your playing preseason games where you don't use the same plays your going to use in the regular season, where your starters are getting few rep's, and your playing against 2nd/3rd string defensive players that won't even make an NFL roster.

Also, how do you judge QB's in those settings? How can you judge QB's that are not in game situations accurately? You can't.

The whole notion of a QB competition is a complete farce.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
What is he talking about you can't determine a winner in training camp or preseason?? There is like at least 10 teams that are doing exactly that right now. When you have two QB's that are vying for the starter spots, you settle it by a QB competition in training camp and preseason lol What planet are you from? How else would you do it?? Flip a coin?? Just give the job to a guy who's never started a game?

hawkeye
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
What is he talking about you can't determine a winner in training camp or preseason?? There is like at least 10 teams that are doing exactly that right now. When you have two QB's that are vying for the starter spots, you settle it by a QB competition in training camp and preseason lol What planet are you from? How else would you do it?? Flip a coin?? Just give the job to a guy who's never started a game?

Yep, you give the keys to an inexperienced kid and throw the ProBowler out.

lavell12
08-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I've said it probably 10,000 times already, but the people that want a competition or are pissed about not having one keep bringing it up.

How on earth can you determine a winner, in a QB competition in training camp or the preseason? You cannot determine who your starting QB is when your QB's are wearing red jerseys and practicing.

You cannot determine who your starting QB is going to be when your playing preseason games where you don't use the same plays your going to use in the regular season, where your starters are getting few rep's, and your playing against 2nd/3rd string defensive players that won't even make an NFL roster.

Also, how do you judge QB's in those settings? How can you judge QB's that are not in game situations accurately? You can't.

The whole notion of a QB competition is a complete farce.

exactly our point, we know what Favre can do and we know he is a winner and we can't see that in Aaron until he plays a real game so go with Favre.

nosferatu
08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
The coin flip I believe is how Chicago is handling their situation, but what else are OTA's and training camp for if not to determine who is the best at every position brewcity, unless of course you have an established starter at the position, again the only thing that scares me about Favre is how old he is, I know my body doesn't respond the same the next day anymore and I don't have 300+ pound animals trying on every snap to squeeze the life out of me.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
I would love to kick your teeth in. Do you feel the need to post on every Favre issue? Christ, you must be related to Ted Thompson if you think Rodgers could lead this team better than Favre.

Everyone on this board posts on every Brett Favre issue, i'm just pointing this bit specificly because it's been getting lost in the arguments. I've never said Aaron Rodgers could lead this team better than Brett Favre.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM

The only cities where possibly 'real QB competitions' are going on are in Miami and Chicago. THe rest of the NFL is pretty much set, you know who the eventual starter is going to be even though the media blabs on about the 'competition' every day in the papers. If you ask the coaches privately, they know who the starter will be, it's not completely out there like is lead on.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
What is he talking about you can't determine a winner in training camp or preseason?? There is like at least 10 teams that are doing exactly that right now. When you have two QB's that are vying for the starter spots, you settle it by a QB competition in training camp and preseason lol

yep exactly. Why do you think other teams are doing that right now? That is how you determine who is the starter, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
yep exactly. Why do you think other teams are doing that right now? That is how you determine who is the starter, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out

Alright, go through the NFL teams and go through some of the 'QB competitions'. Everything is pretty much set except 2-3 teams who are going through some different circumstances with rookies.

Urbs
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Aaron Rodgers sucks.. really he does. He runs around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Aaron Rodgers sucks.. really he does. He runs around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off.

How can you possibly know that when Aaron Rodgers never plays. How can you be critical of Aaron Rodgers running around, when he hasn't played enough to even get comfortable? You can't bash people that think Rodgers will do well because he's inexperienced and then trash Rodgers based on nothing. You can't have it both ways.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Alright, go through the NFL teams and go through some of the 'QB competitions'. Everything is pretty much set except 2-3 teams who are going through some different circumstances with rookies.

Well off the top of my head I know the Ravens have a competition going right now between 3 QB's. I think Atlanta is another. The Jets. That's all without looking. Oh yeah, the Chiefs. Pretty sure there's a couple more.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Let's just hope Rodgers isn't Rob Johnson. That didn't work out so well for them.

wissportsfan
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
You just hope one falls flat on their face. I don't see either one doing that. In a tie though I bet the organization would pick Rodgers.

PSDIsTrash
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Let's just hope Rodgers isn't Rob Johnson. That didn't work out so well for them.

Don't pretend you care about how Rodgers turns out. You'll be a fan of whatever team your hero Favre ends up on.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Atlanta, NY Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, Ravens, Chiefs and maybe Cardinals off the top of my head

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Don't pretend you care about how Rodgers turns out. You'll be a fan of whatever team your hero Favre ends up on.

I've been a Packer fan a lot longer than Favre has been here. I'll be one after he's gone. He makes the Packers a better team dumbass. I remember the Pack before Favre, and I like to see the Packers win. The Packers have won more games than anyone else in the last 16 years. With Favre next year, we have as good of a chance of winning the SB as anyone. With Rodgers, we might not make the playoffs. So maybe you are a Packer fan, but if you don't want to see the Packers win, what kind of Packer fan are you??

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Atlanta, NY Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, Ravens, Chiefs and maybe Cardinals off the top of my head

Yes, I forgot about the Cardinals. The 49'rs as well say its open competition between Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. Buffalo might be open as well. lol all these teams are using training camp and preseason to decide who their starter is lol I don't know how dude can say that you can't use TC and preseason to decide a QB competition when that is like how half of the league has done it every year for at least the last 20 years if not the last 50.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Well off the top of my head I know the Ravens have a competition going right now between 3 QB's. I think Atlanta is another. The Jets. That's all without looking. Oh yeah, the Chiefs. Pretty sure there's a couple more.

As long as Chad Pennington is healthy, he'll get the nod. He's the favorite. The Falcons and Ravens are dealing with rookie situations where it all depends on how the rookies get things down. Both will ultimately play this year anyway since Chris Redman and Kyle Boller are pretty much nothing and there's so much fan pressure to see both play. Brodie Croyle is going to win the Chiefs job.

I think the only crapshoot QB situation is in Chicago.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
^^ LOL this is how teams have done this for years now. This isn't new

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
^^ LOL this is how teams have done this for years now. This isn't new

What do you mean? I don't know what your pointing out...

Bauermundo
08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Let's face it. Favre is leaving. Management has chosen Rodgers to lead this team.

This whole argument of Rodgers running around with his head cut off is such an invalid argument. He was thrown in a game and almost provided us a comeback from a hole that Favre got the Pack into.

We've got a young team that's growing without Rodgers. Rodgers can finally take this team and show everyone what he has, or does not have.

By the looks of it, Favre is out. He won't play for Green Bay. So why bash on Rodgers. save it. Save it for if we have a losing record. Until then, support this guy, he could develop into something special.

grantarchy
08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Let's face it. Favre is leaving. Management has chosen Rodgers to lead this team.

This whole argument of Rodgers running around with his head cut off is such an invalid argument. He was thrown in a game and almost provided us a comeback from a hole that Favre got the Pack into.

We've got a young team that's growing without Rodgers. Rodgers can finally take this team and show everyone what he has, or does not have.

By the looks of it, Favre is out. He won't play for Green Bay. So why bash on Rodgers. save it. Save it for if we have a losing record. Until then, support this guy, he could develop into something special.

I totally agree. Favre is not coming back. The way he's been treated is bogus, but it's beyond repair. They should give in to his demands for an unconditional trade and just let the dude go finish his career where he wants. He's earned that much slack from GB. I can't imagine John Elway receiving treatment like this. If he'd wanted to come back after he retired, Denver would have welcomed him with open arms. It's not like Favre was going out on a low note either - NFC championship game and a stellar year from him. Man, GB has done so much damage in this whole thing. I always thought they were a great franchise, but not so much now.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Yes, I forgot about the Cardinals. The 49'rs as well say its open competition between Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. Buffalo might be open as well. lol all these teams are using training camp and preseason to decide who their starter is lol I don't know how dude can say that you can't use TC and preseason to decide a QB competition when that is like how half of the league has done it every year for at least the last 20 years if not the last 50.

You can add Chicago to the list..

Where's KG?
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Quite honestly, and yes I will state up front im a Vikings fan...but have posted here before on this issue and always been respectful. I don't think it's about Favre or Rodgers or McCarthy anymore. I think it's the way your upper management has twisted all of this to create controversy in your city, your team, and your coaches. Favre's story has never really changed since he said he wanted to come back. You management has a new "spin" or "plan" every day and it is never the same. That is the one consistency, the story of the GM ad his cohorts has changed by the hour literally every day for the last week. I can say if I was a fan of your team, I would feel betrayed and would have lost a LOT of trust in the upper management. Not even beacause of who it is about anymore, just the constant lies. To my knowledge the Packers are a publicly owned team, someone needs to publicly shove their hypothetical foot, up the Upper Managements behind.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:34 PM

I guess i'm in the minority of fans that think that coaches and management generally know who the starter is, even though they talk about having a 'fair and open competition'...the players know the guy will be, hell, most fans know who the QB will be. And the managers/owners that spend tens of millions on these players want to see their selections succeed.

Alex Smith will be the guy for the 49ers, they've invested too much money in him to let him sit, not to mention he brings more to the table for Mike Martz. Trent Edwards is the obvious choice in Buffalo. Matt Leinart in Arizona, these are all pretty obvious to point out.....

Brooke
08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Quite honestly, and yes I will state up front im a Vikings fan...but have posted here before on this issue and always been respectful. I don't think it's about Favre or Rodgers or McCarthy anymore. I think it's the way your upper management has twisted all of this to create controversy in your city, your team, and your coaches. Favre's story has never really changed since he said he wanted to come back. You management has a new "spin" or "plan" every day and it is never the same. That is the one consistency, the story of the GM ad his cohorts has changed by the hour literally every day for the last week. I can say if I was a fan of your team, I would feel betrayed and would have lost a LOT of trust in the upper management. Not even beacause of who it is about anymore, just the constant lies. To my knowledge the Packers are a publicly owned team, someone needs to publicly shove their hypothetical foot, up the Upper Managements behind.

Amen :clap::clap:

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks for diverting a specific topic into the same Brett Favre/Management drivel thats in every topic on the board.

It's just awesome.

RcrkllrH2
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
did anyone else notice that in the statement the brett made to mort today that brett said (and im paraphrasing) "they asked me if i wanted to have an open competition, and i said no"

so half of this isnt even the managements fault, cuz whatever they suggest, brett shoots down

TCamPacFan
08-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Hmmm... Runs around like a chicken with his head cut off? Reminds me of another young QB I watched play the game almost 17 years ago named BRETT FAVRE!!!! How short sighted can you possibly be? I truly hope for the sake of your credibility that you are like 14 years old so you can tell me that you don't remember those days.

newdude
08-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Hmmm... Runs around like a chicken with his head cut off? Reminds me of another young QB I watched play the game almost 17 years ago named BRETT FAVRE!!!! How short sighted can you possibly be? I truly hope for the sake of your credibility that you are like 14 years old so you can tell me that you don't remember those days.

He still got the job done;)

servais77
08-05-2008, 05:54 PM
How can you have a QB competition when one player is significantly better than the other?

RcrkllrH2
08-05-2008, 05:57 PM
How can you have a QB competition when one player is significantly better than the other?

one of em has been practicing and really working out for the past 5 months

the other has been working hardcore only about 3 weeks, and has really been away from the game

this isnt a "brett is better" or "aaron is better" post....its just a thought

servais77
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
one of em has been practicing and really working out for the past 5 months

the other has been working hardcore only about 3 weeks, and has really been away from the game

this isnt a "brett is better" or "aaron is better" post....its just a thought

Favre will be able to throw the out pass better than Rodgers does when he is in a wheel chair 50 years from now.

KIWI1964
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Rodgers to Dolphins for McCown and 2nd rounder next year!

newdude
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Favre will be able to throw the out pass better than Rodgers does when he is in a wheel chair 50 years from now.
:clap:
I lol'd, and it's probably true anyway.

TCamPacFan
08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
He still got the job done;)

Hey newdude... wow for the first time we actually agree on something! I agree, he did get the job done and so will Aaron!!! I think they are a lot a like, other than the injury factor, which now all we can do is hope they were two flukes. I think it's really ignorant for anyone to say that Aaron will never throw as well as Brett on a certain pass. Who knows??? Who new Brett would be so amazing when he stepped in for Majikowski? Not me...

It just really hurts me to see the lack of support of Aaron on here. Why are so many people so pessimistic? Why not look at it with a positive attitude?

bucksbeat
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
It just really hurts me to see the lack of support of Aaron on here. Why are so many people so pessimistic? Why not look at it with a positive attitude?

Because we're spoiled.

Looking in realistic terms a quarterback that comes near to what Favre has given us comes once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

Jay Cutler looks like he may be the real deal in Denver but how long has Elway been retired?

Miami is still looking for a quarterback that can help them a fraction of a way that Marino could.

Steelers - Bradshaw
Colts - Unitas
Bills - Kelly

See what I'm getting at? All of these teams had plans immediately after their "legends" called it quits. They thought at the time they had the "heir." Most had to wait and some are still waiting for a quarterback.

People are defending Rodgers and that's great but let's not kid ourselves. It's 50/50 on if Rodgers will pan out to be a player worth more than a wobbly stack of pennies. A pessimistic attitude seems to be called for.

We've seen him fall in the draft because of flaws. We've seen a possible injury trend. We haven't seen him accomplish anything on an NFL field except for playing well against a prevent defense when a team had studied and prepared for another quarterback all week.

All of this after a Favre retirement, un-retirement and then a painful situation with his comeback. Of course we are very testy.

newdude
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey newdude... wow for the first time we actually agree on something! I agree, he did get the job done and so will Aaron!!! I think they are a lot a like, other than the injury factor, which now all we can do is hope they were two flukes. I think it's really ignorant for anyone to say that Aaron will never throw as well as Brett on a certain pass. Who knows??? Who new Brett would be so amazing when he stepped in for Majikowski? Not me...

Wolf certainly knew, he traded a high pick for a 2nd round qb who barely did anything in Atlanta.

Sorry to burst ur bubble but that comment wasn't actually agreeing with u. Favre may run around all crazy but we all saw that he got it done. And their styles are not really alike, bcuz Rodgers is more systematic and follow the "guide" kind-of-a-qb, but Favre is just a qb who relies more on his guts and instincts.
But ppl may seem to hate Rodgers, but they'll still be behind him IF he starts on opener(but they will still prefer Favre, like me).

socalpkrbkr
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
They should give in to his demands for an unconditional trade and just let the dude go finish his career where he wants.

I always thought they were a great franchise, but not so much now.

The Packers should absolutely NOT give in to any demands from any player in a situation like this. Why should we? He wants to be released and it ain't happening.

As for your franchise comment.... so long. Go find a new franchise to cheer for then.