PDA

View Full Version : Some details from last nights meeting..

iam brett favre
08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre went into a meeting Tuesday morning acknowledging that he was at a "stalemate" with the team and believed the "best thing for this team is for us to part ways."

Consequently, Favre is unlikely to take the field for practice Tuesday afternoon, pending his second meeting with coach Mike McCarthy.

"We're at a stalemate," Favre said. "Mike and I both agreed last night that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction. We all know the reason I'm here is because the commissioner [Roger Goodell] reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It's simple and complicated, both at the same time."

Favre said the team once again rejected his request to talk to teams about a trade within the NFC North, preferably to the Minnesota Vikings or possibly the Chicago Bears.

Favre clarified reports that he and the Packers have backpedaled on the premise that there would be an open competition with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job.

"Mike told me, hey, we're a better team with you on it but wanted to know if I have a problem with an open competition," Favre said. "I don't have a problem with competing -- you know that, but Aaron should be the starter right now because he's been out here all this time. This is more than about an open competition and I can do that, absolutely, but this is going to be mass confusion and that's not good for this team.

"I'll practice my butt off, if it comes to that, and I think we all know what the end result will be, but this probably isn't going to work. And I truly understand that if I was in Mike's shoes, I'd see it basically the same way he sees it, I'm sure. And I think if he was in my shoes, he'd see it my way. I think we both agree on that.

"They want to know if I'm committed but I want to know if they're 100 percent committed. The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it."

Asked what stories have been "planted," Favre alluded to the reports that said he waffled on un-retiring in late March or early April. He said that's "just not the way it went down, at all."

He also expressed anger with the stories that alleged he had a team-issued cell phone that showed the Vikings were tampering with him.

"Again, that was bull on both parts," he said.

"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

He added, "So they can say they welcome me back but, come on, the way they've treated me tells you the truth. They don't want me back, so let's move on. I don't know where it's headed. We'll see."

-ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3520064)

Nothing really new here, but it sounds like its Favre that doesn't want the open QB competition, and that he's still really bitter towards the Packers..

Badger's Badger
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm getting sicker and sicker with every passing minute. This is total bull. Aaron Rodgers is a grown man, and if there is an open competition and Brett wins it, and Aaron can't take it, do we really want him as our QB of the future????

lavell12
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm getting sicker and sicker with every passing minute. This is total bull. Aaron Rodgers is a grown man, and if there is an open competition and Brett wins it, and Aaron can't take it, do we really want him as our QB of the future????

Great point.

junior_trane
08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
The end is near. Favre will get traded to a non NFC-north team. Regardless of all that has happened, it will be good for this distraction to be behind the team. Rodgers will undoubtedly have immense pressure to perform well from here on out, but that pressure was going to be there regardless of whether Favre was on the bench or not. Both sides should have gone about this differently to have avoided all the negative publicity. Now that Favre can be traded to any team, which could end up like the Jake Plummer scenario, the Packers should quickly send him to the highest bidder. Hopefully Favre can finish his career strong and then retire as one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. He will always be remembered as a Green Bay Packer, as it should be. Rodgers might or might not be the solution for the future, but at least we will find out before we have to resign him.

About Rodgers; I find myself wanting Rodgers to have more fight in him. I was not upset in the least at his "get on board" comment. He needs to have some fire in his persona. He should be angry, and he should vocalize it from time to time. Favre is showing how head strong and passionate he is by trying to stick it to the team. Rodgers should stick up for himself in the same respect. If this is your team, stand up and say so. Take charge and say you will prove all the doubters wrong.

We have a strong team, regardless of who the QB is. Our couching staff has shown how well they can game plan and execute over the last couple of years. Favre may give us the best chance now, but I would rather have a "Patriot Dynasty" than a one and done superbowl.

GO PACK!

Packerbacker
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
If I were TT or MM after seeing how A Rod played against the 2nd team defense I would be begging brett to come back

hawkeye
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
So you want a Patriot type dynasty and not a one and done Super Bpowl huh? Well, Rodgers ain't no Brady, and our front office can't draft for crap or spend money wisely in FA. So forget about this team becoming the new Pats. This management team is a laughingstock. Ari Fleischer is now on retainer! What a pathetic excuse for a human being Ted Thompson is.

junior_trane
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
cant draft?

A majority of the team that almost took us to the super bowl was drafted!

FA?

Woodson, Grant?

Brady wasn't ANYBODY until Bledsoe went down. He was a pleasant surprise, but you can't say Rodgers sucks until you see him play some games. That is effectively what the Packers are doing, giving him a chance to prove he is the future. They refuse to mortgage the future for the now.

You have nothing to support the negativity you are spewing.

OnWisconsin2007
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, I just don't know what to think anymore...

Brooke
08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Rodgers will never be NO Brady, not even close. Sure maybe he got his shot when Bledsoe went down but he still is a 3 time champ and won the MVP.

junior_trane
08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Never said he would be Brady, just saying he was a nobody until he got a chance. Comparing what someone has done to what some one MIGHT do is ********. Rodgers needs a chance to show if he can do the job or not.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Again, explain to me how you can have an honest/fair competition to find the best QB in trainingcamp or the preseason. You can't.

Brett Favre doesn't want to be a Packer, he thinks Aaron Rodgers should be the starter, so what difference does it make.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
So much for being welcome back. Pretty interesting that Favre is saying his near unretirement in march was all a bunch of BS too. The Pack has been playing that card for awhile now. This is a hostile takeover, and it's not what is best for the team. And where is Thompson in all this?? Hiding in Racine again??

tbizzle1984
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Favre's gonna be on the cover of Madden in a Packer jersey and be playing for a different team.

I want to throw up right now with all of this.

Why even make the report that Favre is back and the Pack has plans for him and it's an open competition. Now we're back tracking again.

Why are they treating Rodgers like the golden boy child of the organization just handing him the job? Favre makes the team better, we have a better chance of winning with Favre. The fans want Favre, Rodgers can wait... again. It is NOT worth ruining the Favre-Packers legacy. 16 yrs here and now we're lying to the media and pissing Favre off .. come on

tbizzle1984
08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Again, explain to me how you can have an honest/fair competition to find the best QB in trainingcamp or the preseason. You can't.

Brett Favre doesn't want to be a Packer, he thinks Aaron Rodgers should be the starter, so what difference does it make.

Favre wants to be a Packer .. and knows he would start.

He said he will bust his butt to win that competition.

hawkeye
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
cant draft?

A majority of the team that almost took us to the super bowl was drafted!

FA?

Woodson, Grant?

Brady wasn't ANYBODY until Bledsoe went down. He was a pleasant surprise, but you can't say Rodgers sucks until you see him play some games. That is effectively what the Packers are doing, giving him a chance to prove he is the future. They refuse to mortgage the future for the now.

You have nothing to support the negativity you are spewing.

The offensive linemen he picked to replace established vets are garbage. The deffensive line is decimated by letting a VERY solid guy like CW go to Cleveland with the hope that a reach pick like the fat kid would from Tennesse would pan out. We overpaid for Woodson AND overpaid Barnett. Grant was a GREAT pick up, but it wasn't like we got him in free agency - the guy was on the street without a job. Hawk was a no brainer, and Jennings was a solid pick in the 3rd round. Jones has potential, but faded badly at the end of last year. You want to annoint all these draft picks as future studs, let's see what they do on offense with no Favre this year. Rodgers will struggle simply because of lack of experience. When he does, this team will explode due to the fact that our leader, icon of the franchise, and ProBowler from a year ago was thrown out with the trash. Keep on drinking Ted's Koolaid, you have all the fine makings of a Hitler youth. No way this team wins more than 9 games this year. I'll take all wagers. Hell, Rodgers won't make it thru half the season before getting dinged. Grant won't be as nearly as effective without Favre. He'll be running behind very good, but aging tackles and a porous middle of the line. Yeah, you're right, I have no basis for the venom I have for Ted Thompson. Enjoy the Aaron Rodgers era. Me? I'm going to be a fan of wherever #4 lands. I've supported this team since 1967 and am gone UNTIL Ted Thompson is fired, dies, or is killed. I have a feeling I'll be back sooner than later.

Bfavreforever
08-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, I just don't know what to think anymore...

I think everybody feels that way, I'm at a point where "Just get this done and over with" so I can be normal, and get excited about the Packers.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
We traded for Grant, not a FA.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Our front office can't draft for crap or spend money wisely in FA.

Ted Thompson's draft record is solid. It's not spectacular, but it's solid. Many more teams in the NFL are much worse off than we are going by recent draft history. Your just being overly pessimistic.

We've spent money very well in FA. We haven't picked up many FA's, but when we have they've been worth the price.

tbizzle1984
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Favre asks to be released again .. this is so sickening :mad:

hawkeye
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Ted Thompson's draft record is solid. It's not spectacular, but it's solid. Many more teams in the NFL are much worse off than we are going by recent draft history. Your just being overly pessimistic.

We've spent money very well in FA. We haven't picked up many FA's, but when we have they've been worth the price.

I'm sure offenses are quaking in their spikes over our pickup of Chillar. Actually Ted's draft are in the bottom 3rd of production. I'm referring to an article in the Chicago Tribune that rated all GM's and their drafts from the last few years. Wish I would have kept it so I could shove it down your throat.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
The offensive linemen he picked to replace established vets are garbage. The deffensive line is decimated by letting a VERY solid guy like CW go to Cleveland with the hope that a reach pick like the fat kid would from Tennesse would pan out. We overpaid for Woodson AND overpaid Barnett. Grant was a GREAT pick up, but it wasn't like we got him in free agency - the guy was on the street without a job. Hawk was a no brainer, and Jennings was a solid pick in the 3rd round. Jones has potential, but faded badly at the end of last year.

I agree that our guards are nothing special. But every team has weaknesses, god forbid we have one. Like i've been saying, most teams have MANY more holes than we have. Saying our defensive line is 'decimated' is a bit of an exaggeration. We had more depth at DT than any team in the NFL last year. We are simply in a situation that most teams are in now, having 2 starters, and one guy behind them with experience, and question marks behind him. It's kind of fishy but not the end of the world.

We overpaid for Charles Woodson, but we had no choice. Thats what happens when you play with the FA market, and we had to overpay for Woodson because like so many players, Green Bay was not a top choice for him.

Greg Jennings was a second rounder.

-------------------

Bottom line, Ted Thompson's done a solid job bringing in young talent.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
We've been weak at G since 2005. That's inexcusable. Get a new weakness already. The hole's at G and S are getting pretty tired year after year.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Ted's draft are in the bottom 3rd of production. I'm referring to an article in the Chicago Tribune that rated all GM's and their drafts from the last few years. Wish I would have kept it so I could shove it down your throat.

How did the article define 'production'...Was it starts, statistics, etc?

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Spent money well in FA?? What money? Haven't signed many?? Haven't signed ANY is closer to the truth.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Spent money well in FA?? What money? Haven't signed many?? Haven't signed ANY is closer to the truth.

When we have spent money in FA, we have come out on top in every deal since Ted Thompson's been here (EDIT - Manuel, but not too big a deal). We overpaid for Charles Woodson, but he's been worth every penny.

Truth is, when you go through a list of FA's, you have to pick out the players that don't fit your scheme, and the players that are not interested in playing in your city, and the players that have attitude problems and want more than what their worth....when you consider all those factors, you have a slim picking and it comes down to bidding wars.

The Packers are never going to be in a position to be big FA players. I'd like us to be a little more active in FA, but to be honest, we have very few holes and young talent I like at a lot of the positions (except guard).

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
How do you figure?? Ron Wolf was always a major player in FA. He wasn't known for overspending or picking up guys that were too old to play. Reggie, Rison, Beebe, Dotson, Jones just to name a few. You've got to be too young to remember those days, or just became a Packer fan recently or something. I don't think we overpaid for Woodson, you have to overpay a good FA if you really want him. He's produced so I got no problems with it. But when your 35 mil under the salary cap, with those same old holes at G and S, it really makes absolutely no sense. It's a good thing he's passed n most of the scrubs who hit FA, but let's not pretend that there was nobody out there. Why didn't we sign Ken Hamlin?? The guy ended up going to the Pro Bowl last year, TT drafted the F'n guy in Seattle. Between his bad FA, his questionable and puzzling 1st round picks,(except Hawk, he was a no brainer at 5) his botching of the Moss situation, his treatment of Favre over the last 3 years, I had already had it with this guy. But the pain and embarrassment he has caused this team in the last couple months is inexcusable. I agree this is a tough and unique situation, but I couldn't imagine this being handled any worse. It's almost like everyday we do something that makes the Packers look worse and worse. They're out there lying and making up stories to try and turn the fanbase against Favre.

No matter what, the worst thing that can happen is if Favre goes to the Vikings right?? Does every PACKER fan agree with this?? You do not let your best player go to your division rival especially when he plays the position of their biggest weakness. I don't care what anyone says, it would be the stupidest move in the history of sports except maybe trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees. So if the only other alternative is to have Favre be our starter, then what is the problem?? Every GM in the league is doing everything in his power to get the best players he possibly can. Why we are so against that is absoulutely asinine and not the way that you do business. Not the way the Packers do business.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Favre asks to be released again .. this is so sickening :mad:

Honestly, I cant blame him at this point. They tell him one thing, then they say something else. They haven't been honest with him and are trying to push him out of the town. That is bad business and isnt how you treat a guy who has done so much to the team and meant so much to this team

wissportsfan
08-05-2008, 03:05 PM
This kind of sucks because he's already been a distraction to the team and he hasn't been at any practices yet. The sooner this gets resolved the better.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
How do you figure?? Ron Wolf was always a major player in FA. He wasn't known for overspending or picking up guys that were too old to play. Reggie, Rison, Beebe, Dotson, Jones just to name a few. You've got to be too young to remember those days, or just became a Packer fan recently or something. I don't think we overpaid for Woodson, you have to overpay a good FA if you really want him. He's produced so I got no problems with it. But when your 35 mil under the salary cap, with those same old holes at G and S, it really makes absolutely no sense. It's a good thing he's passed n most of the scrubs who hit FA, but let's not pretend that there was nobody out there. Why didn't we sign Ken Hamlin?? The guy ended up going to the Pro Bowl last year.

Ron Wolf made some nice signings. A lot of guys he signed were when the Packers were rolling and started to dominate the NFC North, it's not too hard to find tack-on's when you've got a powerhouse. I'm not trying to knock what Ron Wolf did, he did a very good job.

All those signings were around 10-15 years ago. It's a different generation of players in the league now, I believe that are less likely to want to come to a place like GB, where marketability, taxes, entertainment, weather all play as big factors for many people.

Ken Hamlin was coming off an ugly neck injury. A lot of teams didn't want to touch him because of it, the Cowboys lucked out.

iam brett favre
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
BREAKING NEWS ON ESPN-
Favre leaves camp, goes to meeting with family and TT to discuss possible trade

WickedBadMan
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Let him go. If this is all for the sake of, "The Future". Favre has no impact on this teams "future" as this team could not make the Superbowl without him anyway. And he can't play for more than 3 years. Make a conditional first round pick trade to the Vikings.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
What are you talking about?? Ron Wolf wasn't our GM when we were in the NFC North. The NFC North didn't exist yet. He also signed all of those guys I mentioned except Rison before we were dominating the NFC Central. Yeah the Cowboys lucked out with Hamlin almost as much as we lucked out with Grant.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
What are you talking about?? Ron Wolf wasn't our GM when we were in the NFC North. The NFC North didn't exist yet. He also signed all of those guys I mentioned except Rison before we were dominating the NFC Central. Yeah the Cowboys lucked out with Hamlin almost as much as we lucked out with Grant.

Ugh, whatever, 'The NFC Central', you know what I mean. ;)

junior_trane
08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
In Brett Favre's last season, the Packers had the 2nd best offense in the NFL. They were 2nd in total yards and passing yards, they ranked 13th in yards per carry, and only gave up 19 sacks (tied for 3rd in the NFL). They have a good mix of veteran and young lineman, which will be a big help with new starter Aaron Rogers.

Yeah our offensive line really needs help. We won't get anywhere with those guards.

WickedBadMan
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
IMO the sacks can be attributed more to Brett's field awareness than the O-line. Favre was sacked 15 times I think? ALL SEASON. Rodgers was sacked about 3 times... in like half of a game...

junior_trane
08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
you're right. Favre is the only reason green bay is/was/ever will be any good. Lets trade everyone and just pay favre a billion dollars to play until he dies. And after that, lambeau field should serve as his burial site and the team should disband.

I am sick and tired of Favre. No one person is bigger than the team. It takes a team to win, and we have got a hell of a team. Get his butt out of here ASAP. Let him be some rich owners problem.

WickedBadMan
08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
LoL talk about jumping off the cliff. Sorry statistics point to Favre over the O-line. Seeing as the ability to shake sacks has always been one of his best abilities, and the O-line really doesn't have the pedigree to be limiting these sacks like you would indicate. This WAS a great team. The defense is still amazing, and with Brett as the QB the offense was good. Now its just a good team with a great defense and a OK offense.

blom85
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
This is going to be similiar to the Terrell Owens situation a few years back when he wanted a trade to Philly but they sent him to Baltimore, then told the Ravens he wouldn't play for them so they dealt him off to Philly. Favre won't play for anyone but MN or GB, thats just the way it is, I expect Favre to be traded soon to the Bucaneers for a late round pick, he will tell the Bucs he want's to play for Minny so we will send the Bucs a 3rd or 4th round pick for Favre. He will be in a Vikings Uni within the next couple weeks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2690700258_69ab64bc7d.jpg

"It is what it is"

AFlagRules
08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Guy above me -

HE IS NEVER GOING TO PLAY FOR AN NFC NORTH TEAM.....Too bad you spent a long time working on your sig.

blom85
08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Let him go. If this is all for the sake of, "The Future". Favre has no impact on this teams "future" as this team could not make the Superbowl without him anyway. And he can't play for more than 3 years. Make a conditional first round pick trade to the Vikings.

LOL, a first rounder for Favre? Yeah right dude what are you smoking?

blom85
08-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Guy above me -

HE IS NEVER GOING TO PLAY FOR AN NFC NORTH TEAM.....Too bad you spent a long time working on your sig.

Yeah it is to bad, tell me why he won't though? Favre will find a way out of this, he has already proven he is bigger then the Packer organization, the NFL will do whatever it can to make this thing happen, there ratings will sky rocket.

ugottabjoshinme
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
This is going to be similiar to the Terrell Owens situation a few years back when he wanted a trade to Philly but they sent him to Baltimore, then told the Ravens he wouldn't play for them so they dealt him off to Philly. Favre won't play for anyone but MN or GB, thats just the way it is, I expect Favre to be traded soon to the Bucaneers for a late round pick, he will tell the Bucs he want's to play for Minny so we will send the Bucs a 3rd or 4th round pick for Favre. He will be in a Vikings Uni within the next couple weeks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2690700258_69ab64bc7d.jpg

"It is what it is"

i think the packers initail trade (in this case the bucs) can have a condition that the traded player cannot be traded to a certain team (i.e. the vikes). im not postitive on this but i believe that is possible

AFlagRules
08-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah it is to bad, tell me why he won't though? Favre will find a way out of this, he has already proven he is bigger then the Packer organization, the NFL will do whatever it can to make this thing happen, there ratings will sky rocket.

See, heres the biggest problem i have. "he has already proven he is bigger then the Packer organization". Where has he proven this? As far as I've seen the Packers have controlled this whole situation. Favre hasn't been given the starting job, and Rodgers is still the starter. NO one player is bigger than any orginization.

In your little magical world. We trade him to the Bucs, then the Vikings deal for him LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Where have you seen that been done? If Tampa Bay deals for him, don't ya think there gonna want him to play for them? Remember, Favre has to accept a trade anywhere. And John Gruden an old friend is there coach.

How will the ratings sky rocket? Hes going to a bad orginization with no history and thats not that good right now...I don't get that.

WickedBadMan
08-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Well if you weren't blind / a fair weather who decided he liked football when AP came to the Vikings, you would see that I said CONDITIONAL. As in if the Vikings make the NFC Championship and Favre passes for X amount of yards you give a first round pick and it works its way down from there.

Newest Badger
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
The offensive linemen he picked to replace established vets are garbage. The deffensive line is decimated by letting a VERY solid guy like CW go to Cleveland with the hope that a reach pick like the fat kid would from Tennesse would pan out. We overpaid for Woodson AND overpaid Barnett. Grant was a GREAT pick up, but it wasn't like we got him in free agency - the guy was on the street without a job. Hawk was a no brainer, and Jennings was a solid pick in the 3rd round. Jones has potential, but faded badly at the end of last year. You want to annoint all these draft picks as future studs, let's see what they do on offense with no Favre this year. Rodgers will struggle simply because of lack of experience. When he does, this team will explode due to the fact that our leader, icon of the franchise, and ProBowler from a year ago was thrown out with the trash. Keep on drinking Ted's Koolaid, you have all the fine makings of a Hitler youth. No way this team wins more than 9 games this year. I'll take all wagers. Hell, Rodgers won't make it thru half the season before getting dinged. Grant won't be as nearly as effective without Favre. He'll be running behind very good, but aging tackles and a porous middle of the line. Yeah, you're right, I have no basis for the venom I have for Ted Thompson. Enjoy the Aaron Rodgers era. Me? I'm going to be a fan of wherever #4 lands. I've supported this team since 1967 and am gone UNTIL Ted Thompson is fired, dies, or is killed. I have a feeling I'll be back sooner than later.

I think T.T. is going to get hated on every single offseason for the rest of his career here. Watch all the haters go away as soon as the season starts and the GOOD, YOUNG, TALENTED Packers team (with or without Favre) starts to succeed again. This is just like last year.

hawkeye
08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I think T.T. is going to get hated on every single offseason for the rest of his career here. Watch all the haters go away as soon as the season starts and the GOOD, YOUNG, TALENTED Packers team (with or without Favre) starts to succeed again. This is just like last year.

Ted Thompson has earned the hatred of the fans. You're right, they are a good, talented, and young team - they just got worse showing their best QB the door. Would you be the one that would like to place the first bet that Rodgers won't lead this team to more than 9 wins? Or do you TT supporters feel that 9 wins will be a good/great year with Rodgers? I'm just curious how you guys can justify taking a step backwards after last year. You guys that keep saying that we need to build for the future should listen to some former players and current NFL personnel that are shaking their collective heads at what Ted Thompson is doing. This is NOTHING like last year. Without Favre, this team would have struggled to make the playoffs and will be lucky to make it this year. When (not if) Rodgers struggles, the lockeroom will become divided and there will be a helluva lot of second guessing our in-over-his-head GM.

servais77
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
We are going to be building for a long time again. Just wait until Matt Flynn has to play in a game.

lavell12
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
one thing people forget about Rodgers is that he is another Jeff Tedford product. Such as: Joey Harrington, David Carr, and Akili Smith.

Newest Badger
08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Ted Thompson has earned the hatred of the fans. You're right, they are a good, talented, and young team - they just got worse showing their best QB the door. Would you be the one that would like to place the first bet that Rodgers won't lead this team to more than 9 wins? Or do you TT supporters feel that 9 wins will be a good/great year with Rodgers? I'm just curious how you guys can justify taking a step backwards after last year. You guys that keep saying that we need to build for the future should listen to some former players and current NFL personnel that are shaking their collective heads at what Ted Thompson is doing. This is NOTHING like last year. Without Favre, this team would have struggled to make the playoffs and will be lucky to make it this year. When (not if) Rodgers struggles, the lockeroom will become divided and there will be a helluva lot of second guessing our in-over-his-head GM.

I agree that this is a different situation than last year, but it just seems like TT is the popular scapegoat for all the Packers problems (which haven't been much). He assembled this talented young team, and deserves some credit for that. Brett handled the retirement thing poorly, thats not Ted's fault. I do disagree with Ted for trying to push Brett out of the team recently, thats just not right. But in all honesty, we were a west coast offense last year, running 5 yard slants. I think A-Rod can handle that. Maybe not quite as effectively as Brett, but enough to push us into the playoffs. More than 9 wins. It also depends on whether or not Ryan Grant was a one year wonder, ala Samkon Gado. We'll have to see.