PDA

View Full Version : What should the Nuggets do with Allen Iverson?

JordansBulls
08-05-2008, 10:28 AM
What should the Nuggets do with Allen Iverson?

Considering he has a $20 million dollar contract this year and then his contract ends what should they do?

Should the Nuggets:

A) Just let him play out the season and allow him to walk away to whatever team

B) Trade him to a team for some young talent (i.e - Bulls, Hawks, etc)

C) Extend his contract another 3 years and try to win it all by trying to acquire another player through trade

{º¿º}
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Let his 20m come off the books and position themselves for the 2010 free agent market.

SHONIE
08-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Trade him for young talent.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
if they can get some good pieces to surround melo do it

HouRealCoach
08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Make a trade and get some talent around him

Ph1lly Diehard
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Let him walk after this season and let him weigh his options.. He's a veteran player, and he deserves to be able to do what he wants.

stlramsgo81
08-05-2008, 12:03 PM
trade him and get some young talent in return to suround Melo and start to build for the near future

hyp21
08-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Let him walk. He still has value but not this season cause no one wants the 20M on their books. They'll keep him around and let him walk to whomever he wants. My prediction is since the Wizz sewed up G.A. that he probably may walk right into their front steps.....George Karl probably will get the boot after the '09 season as well...

GRIMLOCK
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Trade him to the bulls for Kirk Hinrich, Larry Hughes and Tryus Thomas.
Nuggets Line Up:
pg: K. Hinrich
sg: L. Hughes
sf: Melo
pf: T. Thomas
c: Nene

Bulls Line Up:
pg: D. Rose
sg: A.I.
sf: L. Deng
pf:D. Gooden
c: J. Noah

WIN WIN FOR BOTH SIDES!

NYMetros
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I'd let him walk. When his salary comes off the books the Nuggets will have a lot of money to do as they please. If I were them I would wait until the 2010 offseason where there will be a lot of top free agents out there.

mikedesi1004
08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
let him walk after the season

JordansBulls
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Nuggets Line Up:

Bulls Line Up:

WIN WIN FOR BOTH SIDES!

Me gusta este equipo.:D

POZUNO
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
He would be nice fit in Toronto, Clevland, and Orlando

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
just let him play his contract out and get his 20mil off the books

#1Mavericksfan
08-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I would take him because then we would have Iverson's and Kidd's 20 mill contracts both coming off the books.

njnets
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Nuggets Line Up:

Bulls Line Up:

WIN WIN FOR BOTH SIDES!

or replace hughes for gordan :D

Storch
08-05-2008, 03:27 PM
AI is great. But the nuggets need to rebuild around anthony. AI and CA dont compliment each other that great. Theyre both first option scorers

hyp21
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
^Which is why the F.O. will let the A.I./Melo experiment go on for one more year then try again with other players. They let Camby bolt out the door. They're waiting on K-mart's contract of like 14-15 mil to come off the books, I don't see a reason they will wanna keep A.I.'s 20 mil with it as well. He'll walk after the season's over and head back east imo. Personally, he'll be a great fit to end his career in D.C. with the Wizards pending their bigs keep their mouth closed and progress. Gilbert needs another scorer out there to help he and Caron Butler. Another option imo would be the Hawks. If we keep J-Smoove and J.J. then I'd be more than willing to part ways with Bibby, let Acie Law run the point, and A.I. be my 2 with J.J.(3), J-Smoove (4), and Horford at center.

SeoulBeatz
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
trade him and nene to orlando for rashard lewis, jameer nelson, and brian cook.

Denver:

PG: Jameer Nelson
SG: J.R Smith
SF: Carmelo
PF: Rashard Lewis
C: Kenyon? Steven Hunter?

Orlando:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Mikael Pietrus
SF: Hedo Turkoglu
PF: Nene
C: Dwight Howard

Orlando turns into the 2nd best team in the east by default. Perfect complimentary weapons for Allen Iverson.

But Nuggets now have a big hole for the frontcourt....

but whatever, its just a fantasy trade.

Marius
08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
He'll be traded at the deadline.

Canucklehead
08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Trade him for a combination of young talent & other exprings as filler

_Sn1P3r_
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Trade him for young talent.

:nod:

TheBatchelor213
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
QUOTE=/QUOTE

wow, thanks for the insight

HOZ THE KNICK
08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
trade him back to philly

midwestmadman
08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Well I voted to trade him for some young talent, but there would need to be a partner and his 21-22M per year salary at his age is more than most people are going to want to take on. Ideally sure the answer is easy move him and move on, but reality is much more difficult.

DeShaun Brown
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Nuggets Line Up:

Bulls Line Up:

WIN WIN FOR BOTH SIDES!

How about Gordon instead of Kirk and a future pick instead of Tyrus?

MiamiHeat
08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
he better enjoy those 20 mil he wont be getting nothing close to that in his future signing

rapswin98
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
just trde him for young talent, if they do, they can still be in good position for the free agent pool in 2010

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Here's the deal as I see it, basically:

In order for an AI trade to happen, at least one crappy contract (for example, the Hughes contract) will have to go back to Denver in exchange due to the massive salary of $21 million AI's making.

But obviously, the Camby salary dump tells us that the FO is in cost-cutting mode. So the real situation then becomes:

-What kind of player would need to be packaged with a crappy contract in order to make an AI trade more worthwhile to the Nuggets than simply getting his salary off the books?

I think it would have to be a fairly exceptional player. Or maybe two very good ones. Requirements being youth, and a potential for being a key part of the Nuggets' future.

And considering the core is basically JR-Melo-Nene, that player would need to be a point guard or PF/C.

So I don't think it's Hinrich. I like him if we bring him on using the TE we got in the Camby trade so that he's playing next to Iverson. He's got the right kind of skills to be in the same lineup next to AI. But swapping them doesn't make much sense to me. Kirk really isn't the type of pass-first floor general pg that would really be a true playmaker and help Melo and Nene to play better. And looking beyond a Hinrich-Hughes package, I just don't see too many realistic possibilities that both the Nuggets and another team would find acceptable. (Although if you would like to see hundreds of AI trade ideas, they can be found in the Nuggets forum). I just don't see many that really pass the cold, hard, objective reality test.

So I think it's A. He'll probably play this last year out and then they'll let his contract expire and his salary come off the books.

Assuming JR re-signs for the MLE (which is probably more or less accurate), and they tender Kleiza's $2,705,724 QO next summer, that would leave the Nuggets with about $54,000,000 in guaranteed salary in 2009. This won't be very far under the salary cap, but it will be under the cap - and that ain't bad for the team with last season's 3rd highest payroll. Not to mention that this will probably be a full $20 million or more under the 2009-10 luxury tax threshold, meaning that they could use the full $10 million TE from Camby's trade and the full MLE without crossing back into the luxury tax.

I'm guessing that's the plan, roughly speaking.

DaddyCool
08-06-2008, 03:30 AM
I'm a Philly fan and I know up close and personal what a phenomanal player he is. However he is not what a team needs to win championships. AI needs the ball in his hands as much as possible. He isn't a cancer but somehow any team he is on no matter how much talent they have cannot win with him. Let him walk, because I don't think any team will give up much young talent for him.

DaddyCool
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM

In order for an AI trade to happen, at least one crappy contract (for example, the Hughes contract) will have to go back to Denver in exchange due to the massive salary of $21 million AI's making.

But obviously, the Camby salary dump tells us that the FO is in cost-cutting mode. So the real situation then becomes:

-What kind of player would need to be packaged with a crappy contract in order to make an AI trade more worthwhile to the Nuggets than simply getting his salary off the books?

I think it would have to be a fairly exceptional player. Or maybe two very good ones. Requirements being youth, and a potential for being a key part of the Nuggets' future.

And considering the core is basically JR-Melo-Nene, that player would need to be a point guard or PF/C.

So I don't think it's Hinrich. I like him if we bring him on using the TE we got in the Camby trade so that he's playing next to Iverson. He's got the right kind of skills to be in the same lineup next to AI. But swapping them doesn't make much sense to me. Kirk really isn't the type of pass-first floor general pg that would really be a true playmaker and help Melo and Nene to play better. And looking beyond a Hinrich-Hughes package, I just don't see too many realistic possibilities that both the Nuggets and another team would find acceptable. (Although if you would like to see hundreds of AI trade ideas, they can be found in the Nuggets forum). I just don't see many that really pass the cold, hard, objective reality test.

So I think it's A. He'll probably play this last year out and then they'll let his contract expire and his salary come off the books.

Assuming JR re-signs for the MLE (which is probably more or less accurate), and they tender Kleiza's $2,705,724 QO next summer, that would leave the Nuggets with about $54,000,000 in guaranteed salary in 2009. This won't be very far under the salary cap, but it will be under the cap - and that ain't bad for the team with last season's 3rd highest payroll. Not to mention that this will probably be a full $20 million or more under the 2009-10 luxury tax threshold, meaning that they could use the full $10 million TE from Camby's trade and the full MLE without crossing back into the luxury tax.

They couldn't use that since they are under the cap to begin the offseason.
Other than taht :clap::clap::clap:. Great post

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 03:44 AM

Doh, ya caught me. :o That's a lot of stuff to juggle, though, in my defense.

Main point should just be whittled down to this, though:

If the Nuggets traded AI for one great/good player they intend to keep and make a part of their future and one crap contract, and then used the TE obtained from the Camby trade, they'd be right back to where they were at the beginning of this offseason.

However, by letting AI's contract expire and just using the TE to get one great player (which is a very realistic possibility since teams will be looking to dump salary in preparation for 2010), they're still in good financial shape and never took on a crap contract.

So I'm thinking the latter situation is probably preferable in the eyes of the FO.

Chronz
08-06-2008, 03:48 AM

DAT 1

Chronz
08-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Doh, ya caught me. :o That's a lot of stuff to juggle, though, in my defense.

Main point should just be whittled down to this, though:

If the Nuggets traded AI for one great/good player they intend to keep and make a part of their future and one crap contract, and then used the TE obtained from the Camby trade, they'd be right back to where they were at the beginning of this offseason.

However, by letting AI's contract expire and just using the TE to get one great player (which is a very realistic possibility since teams will be looking to dump salary in preparation for 2010), they're still in good financial shape and never took on a crap contract.

So I'm thinking the latter situation is probably preferable in the eyes of the FO.

Are you guys sure about that? Technically, werent the Nuggets way over the CAP when the off-season began? And even with the Camby dump isnt their salary over the CAP?

lakersincebirth
08-06-2008, 03:53 AM
The nuggets should make a music video for iverson

DaddyCool
08-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Are you guys sure about that? Technically, werent the Nuggets way over the CAP when the off-season began? And even with the Camby dump isnt their salary over the CAP?

I think they're at like 15 million over the cap as of right now roughly. They're still paying luxury tax I think since the threshold is 71 mil and I think they're paying 73-75 mil.

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 04:59 AM
I think they're at like 15 million over the cap as of right now roughly. They're still paying luxury tax I think since the threshold is 71 mil and I think they're paying 73-75 mil.

Yeah, I think that's about right. We're still not sure what the details of J.R.'s contract will be (assuming we do re-sign him, which most people are fairly sure will happen), and we have no idea whether they will try to negotiate a contract extension for Linas Kleiza by the deadline for that, which is Oct. 31st. If they don't, he'll be a free agent next summer and the Nuggets will have the option of tendering his qualifying offer to make his status restricted. By that time, he may also have already been traded.

At any rate, if none of their minimum one-year contracts or expirings are extended and guaranteed through the following season, then excluding JR and LK, they'll be carrying four guaranteed contracts for 2009-10:

15,613,636 K-Mart
15,779,913 Melo
10,520,000 Nene
3,696,000 Steven Hunter

The amount of LK's QO is 2,705,724, and I don't believe JR will sign for any less than $5,000,000 - and if LK is extended for the full MLE and JR gets more than the MLE (say up to $8 million), then add to the total above somewhere between $7,705,724 and $13,600,000, which gets them up to a total of:

$53,315,273-$58,609,549

Which is probably right at or under the salary cap, and somewhere in the range of $15-20,000,000 under the luxury tax threshold.

heyman321
08-06-2008, 05:04 AM
TRADE HIM TO THE RAPTORS FOR BARGNANI, GRAHAM, ADAMS, JAWAI, SOLOMON, AND ALL THE USELESS GUYS.

:dance:

Come on Colangelo!!! Get on this!!! He's the legitimate scoring SG that we need.

PG: Jose
SG: Iverson
SF: Moon
PF: Bosh
C: O'Neal

That makes my mouth drool. Though not sure it will work out cap-wise, hehehe.

BrizzleBear
08-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Trade him to the bulls.

Lakersfan2483
08-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Detroit should make a serious run at Iverson

Trade Billups and Rip Hamilton for Iverson and Kleiza.

Detroit Roster

Stuckey
Iverson
Prince
Mcdyess
Sheed

Denver

Billups
Hamilton
Melo
K. Mart
Nene

DaddyCool
08-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I doubt any of thes pipe dream trade ideas will ever be close to happening. He'll be let go at the end of the season...

But wouldn't it be awesome if AI comes back and signs the MLE for one year to Philly? That would be a perfect story. With Miller's contract expiring and everything. That is very possible.

PG: AI
SG: AI2
SF: Thad Young
PF: Brand
C: Dalembert.

That could beat any team.

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
What salary space do the Sixers have?

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
What salary space do the Sixers have?

Well, over the cap, they'd have the MLE, which is the price he named for AI... although I doubt Iverson will settle for that.

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
To me it wouldn't make sense for Denver to let Iverson walk. Realistically the best option would be to trade him to Chicago for a young player like Gordon and an expiring contract like Hughes.

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
To me it wouldn't make sense for Denver to let Iverson walk. Realistically the best option would be to trade him to Chicago for a young player like Gordon and an expiring contract like Hughes.

Most Nugs fans - and possibly the FO, too - already believe we have a better-than-Gordon player in the making in J.R.

And the thing about taking a Hughes-type contract on is that instead of being able to add 2 key players we can only add 1.

sevanseven
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
just trade him back to philly.

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
just trade him back to philly.

Good luck making the money work on that one. I'd do Dre for AI probably, but the salaries don't match.

rapswin98
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
PG: Jose
SG: Iverson
SF: Moon
PF: Bosh
C: O'Neali wish, hope, and dream