PDA

View Full Version : Update: Ortiz back in the lineup today

Tragedy
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
David Ortiz said that he felt a "click" in his surgically repaired left wrist during his ninth inning plate appearance Monday.
"My last at-bat, it kind of pulled back a little bit," Ortiz said. "You feel that click and you get a little concerned about it." When asked after the game Ortiz wasn't sure whether it would impact his status for Tuesday, but did say that experiencing some instability in his wrist was to be expected following surgery and two months on the sidelines. If the 'click' becomes a significant setback, expect to see Barry Bonds-to-Boston rumors heat up again.
Source: Boston Herald
Rotoworld.com

We can win without David when we have Ramirez. We can win without Ramirez when we have Ortiz. Without either? That would be very, very tough.

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
If Ortiz is out.. I just don't want to think about it.. I know it sounds crazy, but is it to late to pick up Bonds or Sosa?

Yes.. I said it.. Bonds..

americaspasttim
08-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Not good. Although I highly doubt Bonds would be signed...

Tragedy
08-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I think the Sox take a pass on Bonds.

It would really, really hurt our chances this season if Ortiz were out for the year.

lil'papi
08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
He is fine it's normal and he knew it might happen the medical staff told him as much. I'm sure they might be cautious. Way too early to mention DL or season ending.
I'm more worried about his timing.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
if Ortiz is out, that is very bad :( I hope he is ok

cocossox
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
:speechless:
Rotoworld.com

We can win without David when we have Ramirez. We can win without Ramirez when we have Ortiz. Without either? That would be very, very tough.:speechless::hide: please not Bonds! is there anyone else if need be?

iam brett favre
08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Welcome to my life.. ARod, Jeter, Posada, Wang, now Joba.. the list keeps on going.

-Lavigne43-
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Son of a *****. If he is gone we have no other choice but signing Bonds

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 12:58 PM
:speechless::speechless::hide: please not Bonds! is there anyone else if need be?I don't know the rules on FA's after Trade Deadline.. but no one that could replace David is going to go on Waivers (at least not soon enough to help).

I would prefer not Bonds either.. he's a prick.. but, I'm willing to bet he can still knock the hell out of the ball (especially in our short left field)..

But if nothing is on Waivers and we can sign FA's.. you only have 3 options, the same three talked about previously and all are prime DH candidates. Bonds, Sosa and Piazza.

I hope he's not gone.. but if he is, we're going to need to swallow the pride and do something. I would prefer Sosa.. but Bonds will come cheap at this point and he still scares pitchers.

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
If this is serious, which I don't think it is, then I say the Sox have to sign Bonds. We need another big bat, and this lineup cannot survive without Ortiz and Manny.

JimmyMal450
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry but if Ortiz is out, we need Barry Bonds...

cocossox
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry but if Ortiz is out, we need Barry Bonds...:( the thought of that makes me wanna puke!!!

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
:( the thought of that makes me wanna puke!!!

The thought of having a gaping hole in the lineup makes me want to do the same.

Run Gardner Run
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I doubt its anything serious yet. Terry is smart enough to sit him for 2-3 games and let him rest it. I hear clicks in my wrist all the time from breaking each 5 times as a kid, but its nothing. His might be more severe since he had major surgery and my surgeries were always minor

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I doubt its anything serious yet. Terry is smart enough to sit him for 2-3 games and let him rest it. I hear clicks in my wrist all the time from breaking each 5 times as a kid, but its nothing. His might be more severe since he had major surgery and my surgeries were always minor
I think the click was different.. I broke my right wrist 5 times and left 3.. I have the same clicks you probably do.

I think his was in relation to his surgery.. I think it was expected however.. as his tendon's continue to strengthen they are going to continue to move into place and settle.. unless he's in pain, nothing to worry about. If there is something, then we need to make a giant sign (even if it is a big headed goon.. we only need him for 2 months and his trial is next year.. haha)

JimmyMal450
08-05-2008, 01:41 PM
:( the thought of that makes me wanna puke!!!

Same here, but what other choices do you have???

Sammy Sosa...I hope not.

Run Gardner Run
08-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I think the click was different.. I broke my right wrist 5 times and left 3.. I have the same clicks you probably do.

I think his was in relation to his surgery.. I think it was expected however.. as his tendon's continue to strengthen they are going to continue to move into place and settle.. unless he's in pain, nothing to worry about. If there is something, then we need to make a giant sign (even if it is a big headed goon.. we only need him for 2 months and his trial is next year.. haha)

Yeah, the clicks I (you probably too) get in my wrists are a pain in the *** though

The thing about Ortiz, is that everyone thought he was done for the season as soon as he got hurt, but he came back. That shows alot. Now this could easily be nothing, but if it is, like you said, its something that was expected

papipapsmanny
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
well we could bring carter up 24 homeruns and 78 rbi in AAA

Osiagledknarf
08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Well, it's a sad state of affairs when you place your hopes for replacing an injured David Ortiz on...what?...Christ Carter? I know he's tearing it up down there in Pawtucket...but it's still Pawtucket, not Major League pitching in the AL East in a three team pennant race. Yikes. We'll see.

That being said, I'd probably still prefer Carter to signing Bonds or Sosa. Losing Ortiz again freaks me out too, but as far as Bonds...you JUST unloaded one prick, why go out and get another one? Bonds brings more issues to the table than Manny did. Sammy Sosa is about the same story...lots of issues and a weird dude in the clubhouse.

I think, like alot of you guys have said it is probably just the tendons settling back into place and healing up. I think that makes sense. Ortiz is facing alot right now: his timing is off, he's lost alot of lineup protection, and he's still alot more over his regular playing weight than he would be ordinarily.

I hate to see it, but if he has to go on the DL again...we might just be out of luck. There's no way to replace him equally. I think he knows that though and will try to tough it out. Let's hope it's nothing serious.

Osiagledknarf
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
And yeah I didn't mean Christ Carter...I meant Chris Carter. Christ Carter can probably hit a curveball though.

Sportfan
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
:speechless::speechless::hide: please not Bonds! is there anyone else if need be?

why he's a.450 obp for his career which would by far lead the team and league. and last year he had a .480 obp and 28 hr.

kazzy4080
08-05-2008, 03:09 PM
if papi is out for a long time, bring in bonds, i just cant imagine his first at bat with the red sox, i dont know if people would cheer, boo, i just dont know what would happen

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
:speechless::speechless::hide: please not Bonds! is there anyone else if need be?

Sorry, but Bonds is easily the best bat available, and one of the greatest hitters ever, steroids or no.

Wake's Fastball
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
No way in hell Bonds comes to Boston. The Sox just let Ramirez go for 75 cents on the dollar because he was a clubhouse cancer, and especially given that Bonds really isn't an upgrade over what Ramirez' bat was at this point in his career, I'd find it pretty hypocritical if the Sox bring him and his attitude into Boston.

-Lavigne43-
08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Ortiz is fine and in the lineup tonight

A team source has indicated that David Ortiz did not reinjure the sheath or the tendon in his left wrist, but had some discomfort in his wrist from swinging too hard. Ortiz was icing after last night's game. Ortiz was shaking his left hand after fouling off a pitch in the ninth but finished the at-bat.

Afterward he told the Boston Herald that he felt something "click" in his wrist, but it wasn't the tendon. He was in today's lineup DHing and batting third.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/ortiz_and_lowel.html

David Ortiz is in the Red Sox lineup on Tuesday night.
Apparently the "click" in his wrist wasn't serious enough to keep him out of a game. He's batting third tonight.

rotoworld

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 10:29 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Ortiz avoided surgery with rest (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/06/04/hoping_to_avoid_surgery_ortiz_is_cast_in_uncertain ty/).