PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Ruin?

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
A great deal has been made about the Sox home field advantage during the second half of the season and particularly in September. It was one theme in the "Don't hit the panic button" thread and has been gaining momentum around here since. It's time for a dose of cold water: after a dismal nine-game homestand (4-5, but losing important games with LAA and NYY) the Sox have exactly one more home game than road game during the rest of the season.

While the Sox have a very favorable schedule in September, playing 16 of 25 games at home, they head into that stretch by playing 16 of 25 on the road (including last night's loss to the mighty Kansas City Royals). The Sox are currently 24-33 on the road and have the following road series to look forward to this month:

Aug 4-6: Kansas City Royals
Aug 8-11: Chicago White Sox
Aug 18-20: Baltimore Orioles
Aug 22-24: Toronto Blue Jays
Aug 26-28: New York Yankees

The "break" in the road schedule is a pair of three game series against Texas and Toronto.

For a fair comparison it's worth noting that the Rays are similarly struggling on the road () and start a 10-game swing through Seattle, Oakland, and Texas when they complete their current home series with Cleveland. After three home games with the Angels they go back on the road to face Chicago before heading back to the Trop for series with Toronto and Baltimore to finish August. The Rays play 17 of 27 games in September on the road, with their home series consisting of the Yankees (9/2-4), Red Sox (9/15-17), and Twins (9/18-21). As favorable as that looks, a loss last night to the Royals has left me wondering if the Sox will be in position to take advantage of the Rays stiff September schedule.

Will August be "the road to ruin"? Where will the Sox finish the month?

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm gonna say they pick it up a little bit.. last night was a loss, but we can't honestly expect them to sweep every series, even against power houses like Kansas City.. heh..

They will do better the second half on the road then the first half.

The advantage we can look forward to is that The Rays home games are tough home games in September. If I had to chose 10 games in my last month to play at home, it wouldn't be against the Yankees, the Sox and the Twins that's for sure. They have a tough September as it is facing the previous 3 plus the tigers a combined total of 20 times.

I like our September much more with only playing the Rays and Yankees 9 times and the rest of our month consisting of the likes of Baltimore, Toronto, Cleveland and Texas.

lil'papi
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
I see nothing that makes me think we gain ground. The only thing is TB's schedule and their penchant for playing lousy on the road.
Beckett MUST step up. Drew MUST step up. Lowell MUST step it up. Ortiz too, Ellsbury , Tek is another. Don't give me stats on careers either. Just because guys have done better in Sept or Aug doesn't mean squat this year. They still must do it.

Lowrie has been good enough, Pedy great, Youk great..Lester great.....the rest need to step forward. The pen seems to be stabilizing.

Yankees look to have lost Chamberlain last night at least a start or two.

Seems like we've been 14-17 games over for months now. Hopefully the starters go on a run they certainly have it in them.

I am not real confident at this point. I'm sure neither are the other two teams fans either.

Davey24
08-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm fairly certain that at least one of us will make the playoffs. As good as the Rays are, I just can't see them sticking it out for the last two months. Perhaps I assume that just because I have been saying they will fall off the map every month of the season thus far, but I have a feeling that the wear and tear of the season will catch up with them, plus the hard schedule was mentioned. If I had to make an honest prediction, I would say the Sox will eventually pass the Rays by a slim margin, and it will be a dogflight between the Rays, Twins, and Yanks for the WC. Like always, I pray for my Yanks, but I don't think anything is certain this season for either of our teams. Its amazing how what used to be complete domination by both of us can turn to such uncertainty.

Tankjeep
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
i see the sox getting by with a slim margin as well. i just hope they can get hot.

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm fairly certain that at least one of us will make the playoffs. As good as the Rays are, I just can't see them sticking it out for the last two months. Perhaps I assume that just because I have been saying they will fall off the map every month of the season thus far, but I have a feeling that the wear and tear of the season will catch up with them, plus the hard schedule was mentioned. If I had to make an honest prediction, I would say the Sox will eventually pass the Rays by a slim margin, and it will be a dogflight between the Rays, Twins, and Yanks for the WC. Like always, I pray for my Yanks, but I don't think anything is certain this season for either of our teams. Its amazing how what used to be complete domination by both of us can turn to such uncertainty.

No way anyone can disagree with that. We all knew the Rays would be better this year.. but the guess was that the problem child would be Toronto.. who would have thunk the rays would have held onto 1st for so long.

For the sake of your Yanks.. I hope the call I made 2 months ago is way off base (when I had concerns about what the transition to SP for Joba would do to his arm and shoulder..)

ThreeIfBaerga
08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
The hitting is what really needs to step up on the road. Their OPS at home is great, on the road. . . not so much. Pedroia and Youkilis especially.

homie564
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
i picked the 2nd option i feel theyll miss out on first but take the wild card

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
The hitting is what really needs to step up on the road. Their OPS at home is great, on the road. . . not so much. Pedroia and Youkilis especially.

Except they had the best road OPS in the AL, and it was better than many team's home OPS.

-Lavigne43-
08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
The Rays have a really tough schedule coming up which is why I think we will overcome them. They have to go on a ten game road stretch on the west coast then come home for 3 against the Angels then going back on the road against the White Sox. They have another 9 game road streak in September against us and the Yankees. They close out the season with 8 games on the road including a double header against the Orioles.

lil'papi
08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Maybe BAY gets us past the Bay. :D
He is the wild card and us getting Brian Giles , not them. Ortiz is another factor can he get on track soon enough.

September 8-9-10th we over take the Bay. 26-27-28th we put NYY to bed. :D

RedSoxtober
08-08-2008, 12:39 PM
The good news: we are done with LAA for the regular season. They're the only team that has owned us all year (1-8).

The bad news: we've got a dozen games left with the Jays, the only other team against whom we have a losing record.

My main concern was their struggles on the road since the month of August is dominated by road games. Fortunately the road schedule this month is against lesser teams. KC was not a killer and it looks like the wheels are starting to come off the CWS bus. BAL should be relatively easy as well.

TOR? NYY? Who knows? The Jays are always tough for the Sox but they're clearly out of contention by the time the first series takes. Whether they have the motivation to take the series will determine the outcome. NYY clearly has the motivation but their success may depend on whether Joba can come back; oh, and they're only 5-6 since the Sox snapped their post-ASG winning streak.

With the Rays starting their own road swing with a worse road record than the Sox we may well make up a couple more games by month's end.

sboyajian
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
^^ the on the road series win against KC really helped I think.. we'll see this weekend.

futureheisman
09-07-2008, 10:35 AM
they have played very well since this trade and played very well in august.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, they survived August and are looking good so far in September.