PDA

View Full Version : "Reliable source": J.R. "not going anywhere", could re-sign w/in 7-10 days

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Keeping tabs on J.R.

By Aaron J. Lopez

NBA rumors are a way of life, but sometimes common sense must rule. That's why I had to shake my head Monday when I saw a report out of Cleveland saying the Nuggets and Cavaliers are talking about a deal involving young shooting guard J.R. Smith.

The 22-year-old Smith is a restricted free agent, but there is no indication that he and the Nuggets are going to part ways anytime soon. In fact, I've been told by a very reliable source that J.R. is not going anywhere and he could re-sign with Denver within the next 7 to 10 days.

Smith is one of those young players the Nuggets can ill afford to let go.....

The Nuggets already have extended a one-year, $3.04 qualifying offer to Smith, but it looks like he's going to get some long-term security. The question becomes: How much are the Nuggets willing to commit? Smith told the Rocky Mountain News last month that he hadn't heard from any other teams. It's now up to the Nuggets to determine his market value -- a difficult task when there are no other bidders. Will they give him a multiyear deal starting at the mid-level exception of $5.585 million or can they convince Smith to take a little less? We should know very soon.
Rocky Mountain News (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/08/keeping_tabs_on.html)

And ^that ain't hoopsworld, folks. Lopez is putting his journalistic credibility on the line by making such a bold assertion, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it's for real, and that we'll see J.R. locked into a long term deal by August 20th.

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Let me just add, if there are any secret front office spies peeping in on PSD to check the pulse of the fan base, that if you get this done, you will have gone a long way to make fans happy and to repair the damage done by the (sorry, but it's true) poor handling of the Camby trade.

:cheers:

So please, just lock this down already.

:pray:

SlowMo
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Its about time some news has started to surface about this. Here's my first applause for the FO so far this summer :clap:

Now don't screw this up :mad:. I agree with you DenButsu, this will be somewhat redeeming of them for the Camby thing. However, we all expected them to sign JR this summer anyways. I feel like the team took a couple of steps in the wrong direction, and now one step in the right direction is just a relief. They still need to do a move or two to offset the Camby loss. I can't imagine where our rebounds are going to be coming from, we are so used to Camby rebounding, gaurds running the outlet and melo running the floor for the easy hoops.

Anyways, with that said... I can't wait to see more of those off-balance long-range 3s dropping in.

BRAVE KID
08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Good to hear, hopefully we are making a good investment in Smith and he won't dissapoint us.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Rocky Mountain News (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/08/keeping_tabs_on.html)

And ^that ain't hoopsworld, folks. Lopez is putting his journalistic credibility on the line by making such a bold assertion, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it's for real, and that we'll see J.R. locked into a long term deal by August 20th.

Nice. :clap:

avsman05
08-05-2008, 01:53 PM
This is a great move good job FO. Now GO GET A PG!!!!

Game_Over
08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
This is a great move good job FO. Now GO GET A GOOD PG!!!!

Sorry just had to add something because I think they(FO) think Atkins and Carter are solid:rolleyes:

avsman05
08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry just had to add something because I think they(FO) think Atkins and Carter are solid:rolleyes:

Maybe they are :D but why risk it when felton hinrich and gordon are ripe for the picking?

DJiC
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
cause gordon isnt a pg hes a shoot first sg, hinrich is nice can shoot open 3's+pass we could use that...felton is good too but hinrich is a better fit...GO GET HINRICH/JSMOOVE

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Okay, so the article linked from the top post was published on August 4th. Today is August 11th, so we just entered into that 7-10 day window. It seems obvious to me that that source was essentially trying to say, "Soon, but not like tomorrow or the next day soon", so I take that 7-10 number loosely. Still, I do hope we get some good news this week. We'll see what happens.

C-Dub
08-11-2008, 10:21 PM
hes ours, now lets trade for jsmoove, lol

DenButsu
08-14-2008, 03:01 AM
Okay, it's been 10 days now. Dammit.

liliverson819
08-14-2008, 03:42 AM
yea i need to see jr smith resigns with denver at the bottom of sportscenter already come on nuggets!!!

TheFuture6
08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Anyone else <3 our front office as much as me?

C-Dub
08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
i think they all need swirlies

DenButsu
08-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes, which is frustrating.

J.R.'s attendance of Tim Grgurich's summer training camp (http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-State-Warriors-Examiner~y2008m8d7-Tim-Grgurich-holds-his-annual-camp-for-NBA-players-and-nobody-notices--just-the-way-he-likes-it) may be part of the reason for the delay in negotiations, though.

But I think what basically is probably happening is that J.R. and his agent (and his father) are pointing to Deng and Iggy and their big deals and saying "We want one of those."

Deng: six-year, $71 million contract ($11.83 million/year)
Iggy: six-year, $80 million contract ($13.3 million/year)

Now, anyone here want to see the Nuggets sign J.R. to that kind of contract?

Or do you think it might be better for them to hold out, while the rest of the league shows so little interest in J.R. that not one team has even extended an offer sheet his way, and say, "Look, 4 years (or 5 years) at the MLE, or at $7 million/year, or 5, or whatever, is a GREAT DEAL for you and you should take it. We all know how talented you are, but given the events of last year, most teams in the league don't want to go anywhere near you. We want to keep you here, keep you as part of our future, and give you a chance where other teams won't."

We're all high on J.R. love right now, but we're not totally out of the woods yet here. We shouldn't forget that his mistakes aren't ancient history - they happened within the last 14-15 months. He's still a high risk player in terms of the "What off court mistake might he make next?" X-factor.

The offseason is far from over. I'm frustrated as hell at just not knowing the outcome yet (see my two most recent posts in this thread). But the time to condemn or praise the FO for how they've handled the J.R. situation will be after we find out the result. I have no problem at all with negotiations lasting a long time (outside of my personal craving to know what's going on) as long as the final outcome keeps J.R. on the roster for years to come. And hopefully, the reason it's taking so long is that they're still working out a way to make that happen.

avsman05
08-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Steve Kerr came out the other day and said we want to sign dragic to a contract and move barbosa to sg and have dragic be the pg of the future. Why cant our FO do something like that i mean why do they have to be so secretive do they have something in the works so big they want to keep it hush hush... argh what is the deal Mark? Stan? Beau?