PDA

View Full Version : Glazer: Split between Packers, QB looks likely

hughest4
08-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Brett Favre's Packers career appears exactly as it has over the last several months, at best in limbo, at worst over. After hours of meetings and few if any details emerging, it now seems less and less likely that Favre will be back on the playing field for the Packers, FOXSports.com has learned.

The two sides are expected to meet again in the morning as they try to work toward a solution palatable to both sides. However, one detail FOXSports.com gathered from the meeting was Favre's insistence that he did not want his presence to destroy the team's chemistry. In fact, Favre was adamant that he wanted to do what was in the best interest of the locker room and admitted this distraction was not what his teammates needed.

Another agreement from the meeting was that, despite reports to the contrary, there would not be an open quarterback competition as even Favre felt this would not be in the best interests of the locker room. Thus, Aaron Rodgers is the team's starting quarterback.

As Favre met with head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson late Monday, the sides were moving toward an agreement to end this circus, but uncertainty remained about what that agreement ultimately will be.

Favre and the team continued to hold the same viewpoints they've held for weeks but rather than continuing their stalemate, they have joined in pursuit of a mutually agreeable solution. Whether that solution will entail a trade, a release or another option was not determined in the meeting.

Favre, however, stood to his long-standing desire to stay within the division. But the Packers were still hoping to find another option.

Favre now has to truly decide if he wants to play football for one of the two teams that have shown interest the Jets and the Bucs or continue to push for a solution that does not appear to be viable to the Packers.

The two sides aired grievances and actually had amicable talks. In fact, McCarthy and Favre met for so long the coach was unable to attend his scheduled team meeting and chose to cancel his press conference rather than address the media before having an opportunity to meet with his players.

Thompson and Favre then met at about 11 p.m. local time as the two tried to come to determine what their next step would be.

While they did not find an answer to a situation that has become stressful to all involved, at least all parties now appear to agree that this situation must soon come to a workable conclusion.
-FoxSports.com

All i have to say is that this is garbage...he can't go to the Vikes, its just not supposed to be like that

Rtardz
08-05-2008, 06:29 AM
wow, the F.O. is starting flip flop worse than Brett

Badger's Badger
08-05-2008, 06:41 AM
If this turns out to be true, I will take a brief time out (& I do mean brief, because this WILL cost TT his job, if it ends up that way) from be a Packers Fan until this Front Office is gone. End of story!

Don't get me Wrong, I will still be a Packers Fan, but will be unruly and won't give a &*%@ until TT is gone.

robdizzle3
08-05-2008, 06:54 AM
this has been a bad time for us guys because instead of talking about us being a top team in the NFL we are talking about us trading away perhaps the best Packer player of all-time and we might trade him to our rival this year who happen to already have a good team that needs a good QB to be considered an elite team and you know Fave is not gonna stay retired so he will push for that trade.We are on the cusp of going to te bowl and we trade away our QB to a division rival?Ted will be ridiculed everywhere he goes and I know I wont ever forgive the Front Office for that

Brooke
08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
The FO just really ticks me off. They are idiots

servais77
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Great....So what is the solution?

lavell12
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
TT should be fired right NOW!!

SDteacher
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
This is basically the same thing Peter King said this morning. Very upsetting. I have accepted the fact that he could very well play for a different team.That being said, I really hope TT sticks to his guns and refuses to let him go to the Vikings, this would really kill me. It's just too bad all of these emotions have gotten in the way of a business decesion. I really hope something good comes out of there meeting, something good not going to the Vikings, and we are able to move on.

RcrkllrH2
08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
how is this the front offices fault?

they were the ones who wanted to have the qb competition, its brett who said no to it

and then they finally agreed to do something else....so i dont see how its the offices fault

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
People blame our management for these problems because they don't want to blame Brett Favre (not saying they should) and they don't really know who to blame but want to blame someone.

I've said over the last couple days that a QB competition was a complete farce and it wouldn't happen, and that Aaron Rodgers would be our starting QB. Looks like i'm right.

4wanderingeyes
08-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I am a Vikings fan and wanted to give you my thoughts. Now I am not looking to start anything and I dont post much so I am not looking to start any arguements, because I probably wont even reply back.

First off I applaud the front office in standing up to Favre, they gave him many chances to not retire. Favre has put your team in a tight spot, if they keep him and start him, then they gave into a player and have went back on every thing they said they wouldnt do this offseason, and they show weakness to the players in allowing one player to dictate on how the team is run.

Their second option is to keep him and have him as a back up, Rodgers would get boo'd on every incomplete pass, that wont be good for his confidence. I think this is their worst option!

They could trade him, but Favre holds the cards on this option, and seems he only wants to be traded to a certain team, which isnt in the teams best options either.

They could release him outright, but then he would end up signing for the team he wants to go to anyway.

I dont see any option that will make everyone happy, the front office might as well cave in, and let Favre play, or just trade him to the Vikings to get something out of the deal. I would hate to be the Packers front office and have to make this choice!

As a Vikings fan, I dont want Favre to play for the Vikings, I have grown to hate him over the years, and I dont like the circus that will come along with him! It is sickening that anything about sports, and all I hear is all about Favre. Sure Favre is better then our young QB, but Favre isnt the Vikings future and if the Vikings bring in Favre that would put our team several steps back at finding a QB for the future. I am afraid though that I just might have to suffer with having Mr Favre as a Viking, I wont like it, and I am sure you Packer fans wont like it either! There just isnt any easy answer.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
First off I applaud the front office in standing up to Favre, they gave him many chances to not retire. Favre has put your team in a tight spot, if they keep him and start him, then they gave into a player and have went back on every thing they said they wouldnt do this offseason, and they show weakness to the players in allowing one player to dictate on how the team is run.

Brett Favre will not be our starting QB. Let's just throw that out the window.

augipitcher3
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
As a Vikings fan, I dont want Favre to play for the Vikings, I have grown to hate him over the years, and I dont like the circus that will come along with him! It is sickening that anything about sports, and all I hear is all about Favre. Sure Favre is better then our young QB, but Favre isnt the Vikings future and if the Vikings bring in Favre that would put our team several steps back at finding a QB for the future. I am afraid though that I just might have to suffer with having Mr Favre as a Viking, I wont like it, and I am sure you Packer fans wont like it either! There just isnt any easy answer.

The only way it sets us back is if you think Tarvaris is going to be our QB for the long term. If you think he may not ever be good (which is the opinion of most fans outside of the Vikings) 2 years of Favre would be a perfect way to groom John David Booty. (I apologize beforehand for discussing Vikings topics in the Packers forum, but I think it followed the conversation)

iam brett favre
08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
****! what the **** is wrong with TT and MM

Brooke
08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
^^ They're idiots

newdude
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
how is this the front offices fault?

they were the ones who wanted to have the qb competition, its brett who said no to it

and then they finally agreed to do something else....so i dont see how its the offices fault

Huh?

"Another agreement from the meeting was that, despite reports to the contrary, there would not be an open quarterback competition"

They didn't want competition, and Favre then agree bcuz he didn't want to split the team. (I don't know why, bcuz it would majorly be towards his side:p)

lavell12
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Good thing is if Aaron sucks this year atleast TT will be out of a job.

CuseDude87
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
ESPN says that the Packers are getting ready to release Favre. This would be one of the worse options. However, if he is released, there is a better chance he signs with the Bears. If he is traded, the only place he will go will be to Minnesota.

newdude
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
My head hurts.

lavell12
08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
so he could go to another team and the Pack gets nothing. Great job MM and TT. Now your fired.

iam brett favre
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
ESPN says that the Packers are getting ready to release Favre. This would be one of the worse options. However, if he is released, there is a better chance he signs with the Bears. If he is traded, the only place he will go will be to Minnesota.

Where does it say that? I am watching ESPN, and on ESPN.com.

CuseDude87
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Where does it say that? I am watching ESPN, and on ESPN.com.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It says Favre has asked for his release from the Packers, not that they are getting ready to do it.

Brooke
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Favre said he thinks it is best if they part ways. There is some special on ESPN at 1:00 so I am sure they will be talking about that

Urbs
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
wow!!! this **** will never stop.

You guys saw the family night scrimmage right??? 9 of 21 with two picks one in the end zone... Then MM said this was the packers best practice yet!! OH MY GOD.. Sorry but if Rodgers looked that bad knowing that no one could hit him it is going to be a really long season..

www.savebrett.net

Urbs
08-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I ****ing Hate Tt So Much

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
wow!!! this **** will never stop.

You guys saw the family night scrimmage right??? 9 of 21 with two picks one in the end zone... Then MM said this was the packers best practice yet!! OH MY GOD.. Sorry but if Rodgers looked that bad knowing that no one could hit him it is going to be a really long season..

Our definition of a good practice is going to be different from Mike McCarthy's view of a good practice. We're just fans, observing things in our view, Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff are seeing things a lot differently then we are.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff are seeing things a lot differently then we are.

ha ha obviously. I think they probably covered their eyes on that pick in the end zone.

PSDIsTrash
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
ha ha obviously. I think they probably covered their eyes on that pick in the end zone.

Well better to throw a bonehead pick on family fun night than in overtime in the NFC title game right?

:laugh:

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Well better to throw a bonehead pick on family fun night than in overtime in the NFC title game right?

:laugh:

Well you gotta get to the NFC title game to throw a pick in one.

Well I'd rather lose in the playoffs than to miss them altogether.

PSDIsTrash
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Well you gotta get to the NFC title game to throw a pick in one.

Yeah that's what we should be shooting for every year...Overtime playoff losses.

Ryan Diesel
08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I think TT already picked Rodgers in his fantasy football league and doesn't want to his pick to be wasted. We all know how he feels about his draft picks.

BrewCityBuck
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I think TT already picked Rodgers in his fantasy football league and doesn't want to his pick to be wasted. We all know how he feels about his draft picks.

I can't imagine Ted Thompson playing fantasy football, he'd quickly realize he would have absolutely no control and freak out. :D

robdizzle3
08-05-2008, 06:51 PM
The only way it sets us back is if you think Tarvaris is going to be our QB for the long term. If you think he may not ever be good (which is the opinion of most fans outside of the Vikings) 2 years of Favre would be a perfect way to groom John David Booty. (I apologize beforehand for discussing Vikings topics in the Packers forum, but I think it followed the conversation)

I dont think T-Jack is the Vikes future QB but this year will tell the Vikes what to do with him but if he is just doing what he has the past couple of years in the offseason meaning how he works out then he will play like he did last year and thats bad.Instead of trading for Favre if I were the Vikes I would go and get Brady Quinn because his work ethic i second to none

ryanph30
08-05-2008, 08:03 PM
This is not the FOs fault what so ever, this is now squarely on Bretts shoulders. I was on his side, not any more. **** him.

socalpkrbkr
08-06-2008, 12:39 AM
TT the tool had better stick with at least one thing he told us.

Q: Would you ever consider trading Brett within the NFC NORTH?

TT: "No"

OnWisconsin2007
08-06-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm a huge Packers fan, but if we finished like 8-8 next year, I'd probably laugh. How ironic would that be? Then I'd join the march down the streets of GB to lynch Thompson.

ryanph30
08-06-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm a huge Packers fan, but if we finished like 8-8 next year, I'd probably laugh. How ironic would that be? Then I'd join the march down the streets of GB to lynch Thompson.

Why? We are obviously taking a step back this year. The next 2-5 years is what I'm interested to see, and when we will have a much more legit shot at a title, not this year, mind you we are the youngest team in the league.

TT isn't going anywhere soon BTW.