PDA

View Full Version : David Ortiz

kazzy4080
08-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I think the manny trade made everyone on the red sox happier besides for one player, David Ortiz. after ortiz was traded he seemed pissed and gave short uninspired answers. when papi came back and before manny was traded papi hit 9/23 (.391) since then hes 1/15 (.067). hes left 8 guys on base, including five in the 4-3 loss to the royals.

now some can contribute his drop in numbers to losing protection from manny but apparantly ortiz's numbers have gone up when manny missed long periods of time.

so what do u guys think? is big papi pouting cause his boy man ram was traded?

Tragedy
08-04-2008, 11:28 PM
No. David is a professional, and doesn't get distracted by silly things like losing a friend (It didn't effect him to see his boys Millar and Pedro go).

David will be fine. Players go through droughts.

JimmyMal450
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
No it's not because of Manny. Right now David is still trying to get the timing back on his swings. Lately he's been missing good pitches to hit. Because his timing is off he's fouling these pitches off or poping them up. Give him some more time to adjust back to normal and he'll be fine.

Run Gardner Run
08-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Ortiz was wearing a Manny wrist band or wrist tape (cant remember which they said) on Saturday

gcoll
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
is big papi pouting cause his boy man ram was traded?
Possibly. But I think David Ortiz is professional enough to not let that affect his play.

He's slumping a bit. He's missing pitches he usually crushes. He'll get his swing back in another week or so. When he first came back...he was hitting for some average. But a lot of his hits were seeing eye singles. And the Yankees weren't playing that big of a shift on him. A lot of balls got through against them, that wouldn't have against the normal shift.

I mean....he was in an extreme slump at the beginning of the season. Nobody accused him of slumping then.

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I think it's just a guy who's spent half the season on the DL getting back into the groove. He does/will miss Manny -- they were friends -- but he also acknowledges that Manny's departure is part of the business of baseball. If you recall he himself declined to rule out going to the Yankees when his deal expires; it's the same thing in reverse.

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 08:50 AM
I think it's important to remember that Theo met with ALL the veterans of the team.. not just some.

That would include basically anyone who has been there since probably 2003 - 2004 or earlier.. likely it included: Youk, Timlin, Wakefield, Varitek AND Ortiz..

it may have also included Lowell and Beckett as they are such integral parts of the team and while not long with the team compared to others, are considered leaders.

lil'papi
08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I think it's important to remember that Theo met with ALL the veterans of the team.. not just some.

That would include basically anyone who has been there since probably 2003 - 2004 or earlier.. likely it included: Youk, Timlin, Wakefield, Varitek AND Ortiz..

it may have also included Lowell and Beckett as they are such integral parts of the team and while not long with the team compared to others, are considered leaders.

Whats that have to do with Ortiz not hitting? He definitely looked down Friday during his interview. In fact it was discussed thoroughly on EEI yesterday. He was affected by it.
I don't believe it affects him as far as his timing goes. He needs more AB's he was out two months its like starting over again. Now his wrist clicked last night. Not sure how much that affected him or will.
He is just off when he first came back I thought jeez he was awful good timing wise......now not so much.

No worries unless the wrist is playing in his head.

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Whats that have to do with Ortiz not hitting? He definitely looked down Friday during his interview. In fact it was discussed thoroughly on EEI yesterday. He was affected by it.
I don't believe it affects him as far as his timing goes. He needs more AB's he was out two months its like starting over again. Now his wrist clicked last night. Not sure how much that affected him or will.
He is just off when he first came back I thought jeez he was awful good timing wise......now not so much.

No worries unless the wrist is playing in his head.

Has absolutely nothing to do with him not hitting. It's in response to the point the original poster was saying. He was blaming Ortiz's unhappiness of no Manny being the cause.

I was pointing out all the veterans met with Theo, and they all said he must go. Ortiz was 99% likely to be a part of that meeting. So Manny being gone is not the cause.

kazzy4080
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Has absolutely nothing to do with him not hitting. It's in response to the point the original poster was saying. He was blaming Ortiz's unhappiness of no Manny being the cause.

I was pointing out all the veterans met with Theo, and they all said he must go. Ortiz was 99% likely to be a part of that meeting. So Manny being gone is not the cause.

well if everyone said manny is a headache, doesnt care, etc but only papi defended him they still wouldve traded him

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Papi knows what's best for the team, even if it means telling a friend it's over.

(Que "Remember the Titans" when Gary kicked Ray off the team)

kazzy4080
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM
good to see papi pie jay ray bay in the face