PDA

View Full Version : Panthers considering trading Steve Smith?

Soop
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
There are reportedly "rumblings out of Panthers camp" that the team is fed up with Steve Smith and is considering trading him.
There is reportedly a feeling that Smith's become a "divisive" personality on the team, and some Panthers vowed to discipline Smith if the coaching staff didn't. ESPN's Matt Mosley suggests that Dallas would be interested. We'd guess that many others would too. Smith doesn't have an unmanageable contract and is a top-ten receiver. Still, the odds are heavily against a trade.

-rotoworld

Soop
08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Steve Smith, Earl Bennett, and Devin Hester would be pretty hard to defend. What do you guys think?

freaknasty23
08-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Steve Smith, Earl Bennett, and Devin Hester would be pretty hard to defend. What do you guys think?

sexy!

ho_va2006
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
not too bad... kinda small though. But very quick!

urlachermess
08-04-2008, 11:39 PM
grossman would love throwing deep to smith

ugotpitsnoggled
08-05-2008, 12:08 AM
that would turn our scrub WR core into a pretty tough one to guard, our lineup would have so much speed and smith used to be one of the best WR in the NFL

DamnGoat
08-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Give up a 1st, whatever it takes to land him. He's one of the true #1's out there and would pair up very well w/Hester IMO.

superdude79
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
A first round pick would not be required. The whole regime in Carolina is on the hot seat and they want as few distractions as possible. I say a 3rd would get it done, and it should be done as well, maybe he would knock some sense into Turner.

WorldChamps1908
08-05-2008, 02:20 AM
it would be sooo awesome if we got him..knowing JA, he wont even sniff in his direction-we have tank and ced benson to thank for that..(I hope I am wrong)

Tankjeep
08-05-2008, 06:26 AM
how could you pass up on a receiver of his caliber? instant upgrade.

Badluck33
08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Have Olin Kruetz baby sit him.

NaturalRampage
08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
it would be sooo awesome if we got him..knowing JA, he wont even sniff in his direction-we have tank and ced benson to thank for that..(I hope I am wrong)

That probably wouldn't stop JA if he was interested enough to pursure him. Even though Benson did have incidents afterwards, the pick of Marcus Harrison in the draft shows that JA will take risks on players with character issues if the potential/talent outweighs the problems.

CDN_BEARS_FAN
08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Have Olin Kruetz baby sit him.

I bet he would fall in line pretty quick...

IndiansFan337
08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I thought he may demand a trade after they suspended him, but since he hasn't I don't think that they will deal him.

This team needs his explosiveness on offense, since they seem to lack playmakers.

BearSox
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
what, has he become upset because the panthers have sucked for the past couple years, or is he just a *****?

Soop
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
what, has he become upset because the panthers have sucked for the past couple years, or is he just a *****?

No, it's the Panthers that are upset w/ him. He was suspended 2 games after he sucker punched a teammate on the sidelines, breaking his nose.

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-05-2008, 11:39 AM
God I would love to land steve smith. Hes sooooo much fun to watch and having him and Hester on the field at the same time would make DB's wet themselves

CT Bears Fan
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
God I would love to land steve smith. Hes sooooo much fun to watch and having him and Hester on the field at the same time would make DB's wet themselves

We'd have to get a taller QB, though. Rexy has a hard enough time seeing 6 footers over his line.

WorldChamps1908
08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I just dont see this possible as JA never makes trades..he likes to "build through the draft"

Soop
08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I just dont see this possible as JA never makes trades..he likes to "build through the draft"

I wish he was a little more like Jim Hendry sometimes.

Tankjeep
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
We'd have to get a taller QB, though. Rexy has a hard enough time seeing 6 footers over his line.

kyle orton is 6'-4

augipitcher3
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
A first round pick would not be required. The whole regime in Carolina is on the hot seat and they want as few distractions as possible. I say a 3rd would get it done, and it should be done as well, maybe he would knock some sense into Turner.

There is no chance he would get traded for a 3rd rounder. There are way too many teams out there that would be willing to give up more than that for him. I can't see him going for less that a first. He is still a legit #1 receiver and perennial (sp?) pro bowler when healthy and has a managable contract. It will take a first rounder. If the Bears traded for him they may be able to get back into Brett Favre's teams to be traded to list too.

Soop
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
kyle orton is 6'-4

But he can't throw it deep like sexy Rexy. We'd just have to get some special cleats that makes Rex taller. :D

VJ18
08-05-2008, 01:13 PM
the highest i would trade for him would be a 2nd round pick...

give up a 2nd round pick and 5th for S.Smith... anything more is too much...

redsox12
08-05-2008, 01:19 PM
ESPN's Pat Yasinkas believes that the Panthers are unlikely to trade suspended receiver Steve Smith.
Yasinkas, a former Panthers beat reporter, points out that Smith is a favorite of owner Jerry Richardson and Carolina's best player. The trade might make sense from the Cowboys' perspective, but Smith likely isn't going anywhere.

rotoworld

We can't give up our first, because if our QB'S suck then we need the 1st rounder for QB.

Kyben36
08-05-2008, 01:19 PM
OK, But who will get him the ball. Grosman can trow it deap yes. but can he get it in their range. But he would be an upgrade to our team. But Im not sure even if he was open that Grosman could look off his first target and find him.

beardown1985
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
There is no chance he would get traded for a 3rd rounder. There are way too many teams out there that would be willing to give up more than that for him. I can't see him going for less that a first. He is still a legit #1 receiver and perennial (sp?) pro bowler when healthy and has a managable contract. It will take a first rounder. If the Bears traded for him they may be able to get back into Brett Favre's teams to be traded to list too.

Agreed! haha i had to laugh when dude said we could get him for a 3rd rounder. if Cinnci wanted 2 1st rounders for Johnson, Smith is worth at least a 1st round and probably another late round pick. But personally, I'm not a fan of him at all after all the **** he was talking before the '05 playoff game... then, of course, proceeded to torch D Manning and the rest of our depleted secondary repeatedly.

I think if we are going to trade for a number 1 WR, we should get a big body that can go across the middle and also win the jump balls in the redzone.

Soop
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I think if we are going to trade for a number 1 WR, we should get a big body that can go across the middle and also win the jump balls in the redzone.

How about Boldin? There aren't many #1 WR's that are on the trading block right now.

beardown1985
08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
How about Boldin? There aren't many #1 WR's that are on the trading block right now.

I'd love to snag Boldin

IvyWentCrazy
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
OK, But who will get him the ball. Grosman can trow it deap yes. but can he get it in their range. But he would be an upgrade to our team. But Im not sure even if he was open that Grosman could look off his first target and find him.

= ********

I'm sure JA would inquire about a player like Smith... However, before everyone gets upset about this, allow Carolina to actually put him on the block... which will not happen... They will ship out the player(s) that don't like Smith before Smith. Top 10 wr, no, top 5

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Sounds like a dangerous combo especially if Hester improves as a wide receiver. What would you give up for him?

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
First rounder offer it now

Cubsfan87
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
We should trade our first round pick this year for Smith

Soop
08-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a dangerous combo especially if Hester improves as a wide receiver. What would you give up for him?

1st and 6th.

ChiCubs4life44
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Favre to Smith Touchdown BEARS!!!

Bulldog76
08-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Boldin or Smith would be great pickups...but I agree that sending our #1 to get them is a bit of a risk, since we won't have anyone to get them the ball.

I would like to see our #1 pick produce a QB via draft or trade...

I think T.O / Randy Moss and a lot of other top players have been traded over the past few years for a 2nd round pick or lower...Should be a fair offer, plus we could throw in Ricky Manning Jr., to sweeten the pot a little.

WCF23
08-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Wasnt Moss traded for a 4th round pick? Either way giving up anything but a number one pick is a steal if you ask me

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Hmm what did we get for Greise? Was that a 6th rounder next year? I dont remember. If so package that pick and the 1st for Smith or that and the 2nd plus RMJ for Boldin

augipitcher3
08-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Wasnt Moss traded for a 4th round pick? Either way giving up anything but a number one pick is a steal if you ask me

Smith now has far more value than Moss did when he was traded from Oakland.