PDA

View Full Version : your favorite red sox position player

Sportfan
08-04-2008, 08:49 PM
i would pick youk. it can be from anyone of all time

LOL my thread got edited by someone. the question is your favorite batting stance

brandonwarne52
08-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Ted Williams? I think? My head hurts from the title.

bosox1899
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
haha what? my favorite red sox batting red sox :confused: ummm...ted williams i guess

bosox3431
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
either Williams or Yaz

JimmyMal450
08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Im not sure I understand the Question?? But my favorite hitter this year would be Youk.

TDbank24
08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
My favorite Red Sox hitter all time would be Ted Williams

JamesGang
08-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Yaz for sure.

tc2deuce
08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Mike"the Gator" Greenwell

-Lavigne43-
08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Julio Lugo

Tragedy
08-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Hmmm.

Players I've actually watched? Probably Nomar/Pedro.

Player I didn't get to see? Ted/Yaz.

bosox1899
08-04-2008, 11:47 PM
well after further thought I use to love watching John Valentin, tim naehring troy o'leary, mike greenwell and mo vaughn, they werent great as a team but they were good htters

BTownTeamsRKing
08-05-2008, 12:48 AM
this wont be popular, but Manny Ramirez and Dustin Pedroia.

Osiagledknarf
08-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Red Sox Batting Red Sox sounds like some mutation of Manny Being Manny. At any rate, I am assuming the question is something to the effect of "Who is your favorite Red Sox hitter?" with the further proviso that it can be all-time. So...

Clearly, obviously, Ted Williams. He was a .344 lifetime hitter, hit 521 homeruns, and drove in over 1800 RBI. Oh, and he missed the 1943,1944, and 1945 seasons while he was off serving as a flight instructor for the Marines and then missed just about all of the 1952 season while he was in Korea bombing communists...awesome. He was 24, 25, and 26 in 1943, 1944and 1945, respectively, and in the prime of his career. He had hit 35 or more HR's in the two seasons prior to going to war...where would he be if he hadn't missed 3 of his prime years. Oh, and when he came back after missing three years...that's a hell of a shot to your rhythm and timing...he hit 38 HR's and compiled a .342 batting average. He was superman. He's the last guy to hit .400, and he did it 3 times. The first time he did it, he had compiled a .400 batting average by the last day of the season. He could have sat on it and took the record easily. But he opted to play...BOTH games of a double header. That's about as honorable as it gets...imagine Manny Ramirez in the same spot. As a huge Sox fan I take a great measure of pride that the last man to hit .400 did it for the Red Sox...and thank Christ it wasn't for the Yankees.

Plus he used to shoot pigeons with a .22...IN FENWAY. He also used to shoot the "0's" out of the scoreboard...which the grounds crew were thrilled about. Awesome. That's friggin manly...and alot cooler than Manny just taking a piss in there. Stupid. Teddy Ballgame was the man...he's my choice. Yaz is a good runner up...But Ted Williams won TWO Triple Crown's.

If it has to be someone we actually saw play in our lifetime...Nomar Garciaparra was pretty exciting when he came up, before he got all powty and brooding. He could hit, and man...remember some of those plays he made? He was really fun to watch when he was young...I remember thinking "Yeah this is it, this guy is going to take us to the Promised Land...he has to, look at him!" It's funny how things work out.

Tankjeep
08-05-2008, 06:29 AM
manny ramirez. sweet swing and plenty of patience.

i love pedroia's tazmaniacal swing....it's like he's about to pop a blood vessel.

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Ted Williams? I think? My head hurts from the title.

Same here. I changed the title of the thread... I hope it's accurate.

My favorite position player on the current club is Pedroia. I took a lot of crap about him in September 2006 and am smugly satisfied to see how he's turned out.

Favorites of all time? Limiting it to guys I've watched play, Dwight Evans and Trot Nixon. Purely coincidence that they play RF. Evans was the greatest defensive OF I can remember and Nixon is cut out of the same mold as Pedroia. His HR in the ALDS against the A's was one of the great moments in Sox history.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Kevin Youkilis and Dustin Pedroia. My favorite guys hands down.

lil'papi
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Pedy ^^ Me too.....jeez.....

All time Yaz, George Scott, Reggie Smith, Jim Rice , Fred Lynn , even Boggs.....Williams I never saw play.
I don't know how anyone can have a favorite hitter they never saw hit? or play for that matter....
odd..... he retired the year after I made my entrance. :p

Brian Daubach.......he was fun to watch hit. Rick Burleson another.....Nomar drove me nuts with the wrist bands heel clicking.....he thought he was on the wizard of oz.

Dwight Evans had his moments. I loved to watch him play the field.

I hate watching Youk too, he squirms, wiggles , bounces, slides his hands, makes faces, he is annoying. :p

George Scott could field his position and could hit balls a long way. Mo Vaughn? Not so much....

Yaz was my fav all time

ReggieLewis35
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Of all time MO VAUGHN!!! Today J.D. DREW!!! Williams is no doubt the best of all time but im 29 and sorta missed his playing career lol! My grandfather was very close w/ Ted so i have heard many great stories of what a great man he was!!!

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
All time I would have to lean towards Rice, who I saw a little. Boggs is also right there on the all time list. But I still like Rice more.

Bigant2412
08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
#24 Manny Ramirez!! Thanks For The Memories!!

Osiagledknarf
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Pedy ^^ Me too.....jeez.....

All time Yaz, George Scott, Reggie Smith, Jim Rice , Fred Lynn , even Boggs.....Williams I never saw play.
I don't know how anyone can have a favorite hitter they never saw hit? or play for that matter....
odd..... he retired the year after I made my entrance. :p

Brian Daubach.......he was fun to watch hit. Rick Burleson another.....Nomar drove me nuts with the wrist bands heel clicking.....he thought he was on the wizard of oz.

Dwight Evans had his moments. I loved to watch him play the field.

I hate watching Youk too, he squirms, wiggles , bounces, slides his hands, makes faces, he is annoying. :p

George Scott could field his position and could hit balls a long way. Mo Vaughn? Not so much....

Yaz was my fav all time

I'm not sure how odd it is...I think I've watched more footage of Ted Williams than I have seen live games with Pedroia...and I watch like every game. I definitely didn't get to experience the excitment of Ted playing in the time he did...but it's so much fun to imagine how he'd do today. He was the consummate hitter, and a total professional.

I don't know...I get your point about having to actually see them play contemporarily. I'm only 25 so I haven't seen all the guys you have...

I remember really liking Mike Greenwell as a kid, even though I never played a day in the outfield. And, in retrospect...knowing what we know about Canseco now, Greenwell definitely should have won the MVP in 1988.

Nomar picked up right when Greenwell left, and he was a shortstop (and from Little League on I always played either short or third) so it was natural I locked in on him. The neuroses were kind of annoying at times, but after a while I even thought that was cool...it freaks pitchers out too, which I thought was a cool tactic. He started the hell clicking thing because as a kid his cleats were too big, and that was his way of re-situating them...I don't know where the wrist thing started. He is a strange bird, that's for sure.

I also liked Trot Nixon, just because he was such a gritty, tough player. He hustled...every...single...play. Similarly, I like Varitek for the same reason...I really don't care that he couldn't hit a beach ball at this point, he's the Captain. He and Trot are both old school...hustle, grit, toughness, and the high socks. It's just cool.

Sportfan
08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Bump

Raidaz4Life
08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Gotta go with Pedroia and Lowell

NESports2004
08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
come on guys this ted williams talk is all crap..IT'S ALL ABOUT

Mark Bellhorn

Tankjeep
08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
^lol, that dude was clutch when it mattered most....especially at yankee stadium. it's funny you say that....i was watching lowrie at bat tonite and thinking about bellhorn. i guess it's the number 12

old blue
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Yaz----- but hey thanks for Manny---- from the dodgers

bosox1899
08-07-2008, 05:13 PM
well if the question is about batting stance, Mo Vaugns swing was very peculiar, I don't even know how he hit the ball the way he had his head all tilted in different directions haha...if you want to go with the best looking/best mechanics I'd have to go with Manny.

papipapsmanny
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
hmm john valentine was my favorite player when i was like 6

RedSox24
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
People I havent sean probably Ted or Yaz
People I have pedro, pedroia, Youk

yaowowrocket11
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I was a really big Nomar fan. I would say Williams or Yaz, but I've never seen them played, so I can't call them my favorite.

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
right now my favorite red sox player is Pedroia...i love his i dont give a **** what you think of me attitude. hes just fun to watch play

Raidaz4Life
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I was a really big Nomar fan. I would say Williams or Yaz, but I've never seen them played, so I can't call them my favorite.

i miss Nomar!!!:cry::cry::cry:

lil'papi
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure how odd it is...I think I've watched more footage of Ted Williams than I have seen live games with Pedroia...and I watch like every game. I definitely didn't get to experience the excitment of Ted playing in the time he did...but it's so much fun to imagine how he'd do today. He was the consummate hitter, and a total professional.
I don't know...I get your point about having to actually see them play contemporarily. I'm only 25 so I haven't seen all the guys you have...
I remember really liking Mike Greenwell as a kid, even though I never played a day in the outfield. And, in retrospect...knowing what we know about Canseco now, Greenwell definitely should have won the MVP in 1988.

Nomar picked up right when Greenwell left, and he was a shortstop (and from Little League on I always played either short or third) so it was natural I locked in on him. The neuroses were kind of annoying at times, but after a while I even thought that was cool...it freaks pitchers out too, which I thought was a cool tactic. He started the hell clicking thing because as a kid his cleats were too big, and that was his way of re-situating them...I don't know where the wrist thing started. He is a strange bird, that's for sure.

I also liked Trot Nixon, just because he was such a gritty, tough player. He hustled...every...single...play. Similarly, I like Varitek for the same reason...I really don't care that he couldn't hit a beach ball at this point, he's the Captain. He and Trot are both old school...hustle, grit, toughness, and the high socks. It's just cool.

you have a way better cable package than me......:p

When you see footage its only the good. When you watch daily you see both. Ted Williams I saw on footage mostly highlights man he never made an error or missed a fly ball, he hit an HR everytime up too. lol

I had a bunch of guys I liked growing up Boog Powell being a huge fav, also Brooks Robinson ....the guy was hoover before hoover.
In fact if I ever invent a vacuum cleaner screw dyson it would be a robinson.

Yaz, and pedy because they get the most out of what they have. No nonsense BS just pure BB guys. Yaz was somewhat terse with the media like Rice but he got alot of flack for replacing Williams.

Another fav all time George Brett.....

But just Boston, yaz... watch him go into 2b was priceless.

bruschifan54
08-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Dustin Pedroia, no doubt. The kid gives 110% and more every single night when he is out there. There is nothing more you can appreciate than hustle.

Osiagledknarf
08-08-2008, 07:18 PM
you have a way better cable package than me......:p

Haha...Extra Innings from Time Warner Cable, haha. I get every MLB game, every team, every day...for like $169 for the whole season. It works out to like 14 cents a game...awesome. The only thing that sucks is that there's regional blackouts...and since I live in NYC, that means I have to watch the Red Sox-Yankees games on YES, with Yankees EVERYTHING.

lil'papi
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Haha...Extra Innings from Time Warner Cable, haha. I get every MLB game, every team, every day...for like $169 for the whole season. It works out to like 14 cents a game...awesome. The only thing that sucks is that there's regional blackouts...and since I live in NYC, that means I have to watch the Red Sox-Yankees games on YES, with Yankees EVERYTHING.

I gotta nice rope if you need it? :p

I have the BB package too. ;)

Ted Williams used to fish with a good friend of mine he took him striper fishing off Block Island every year. Almost till he died.....I got a chance to mate the boat and had to turn it down because of a BB commitment. I've always regretted it.

Another fav was Bernie Carbo...and...believe it or not the guy who let the ball under his glove too. He was a super 1B and could hit. Kids now just don't realize how good he was. Go pull up his numbers.....

We've been pretty blessed even though we suffered.

Osiagledknarf
08-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I gotta nice rope if you need it? :p

I have the BB package too. ;)

Ted Williams used to fish with a good friend of mine he took him striper fishing off Block Island every year. Almost till he died.....I got a chance to mate the boat and had to turn it down because of a BB commitment. I've always regretted it.

Another fav was Bernie Carbo...and...believe it or not the guy who let the ball under his glove too. He was a super 1B and could hit. Kids now just don't realize how good he was. Go pull up his numbers.....

We've been pretty blessed even though we suffered.

Buckner was a great player and from everything I heard, a stand up guy. I was really glad to see the Red Sox honor him officially earlier this year at Fenway. I was 4 years old in 1986 though, sooo... Man, I'd have nightmares everyday if I missed a chance to shoot the shizz with Ted...that suuuuuuucks.

futureheisman
09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
have to be youk

BoSox47
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Current Player: Jed Lowrie... if anyone has noticed since he joined the team, the red sox have done considerably better. Definate upgrade from Lugo.

All-time favorite player: Nomar first game i saw at Fenway he hit 2 grand slams and a 2 run home-run against seattle.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Craig Grebeck, hands down. Mike Lansing is a close second though. :D

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Youkilis, Pedroia, Papi, Lowrie,

RedSoxtober
09-09-2008, 08:27 AM
What is the sudden freakin' fascination with threads that have been dead for a month or more?!?!

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
We like to stray from the conventional way of doing things. :D

BRADY4MVP
09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I would have to say that this year, my favorite red sox on the roster is Julio Lugo......because without him, we would not appreciate and recognize Jed Lowrie:hi5:

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
very true man.

Osiagledknarf
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I would have to say that this year, my favorite red sox on the roster is Julio Lugo......because without him, we would not appreciate and recognize Jed Lowrie:hi5:

...or the value of any kind of offensive ablity or defensive reliability.