PDA

View Full Version : What about trading Allen Iverson for Jason Kidd and 1st round pk

JordansBulls
08-04-2008, 04:33 PM
What about trading Allen Iverson for Jason Kidd and 1st round pick?

That would give you a lineup of:

PG Kidd
SG Smith
SF Melo
PF Kmart
C Nene

SlowMo
08-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Kidd is good. He'd play a little better D and keep the ball moving. But he's also getting old, and isn't a reliable scorer. I would rather us keep AI for now, see what other moves we can make for a decent PG.

I know we have JR as a great scorer, but he only did that for 1/3 of the season last year. he needs to prove himself again this year up through the trade deadline before we can count on him and melo being a 1-2 punch on offense.

Personally, I think we just need a decent PG, not an all-star caliber PG. As long as he can handle the ball, play good D, and doesn't mind not shooting the ball much.

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
If it were becoming clear that we were definitely out of championship contention (and I think that indeed will happen), then I'd be for it, since getting AI's salary off the books and getting a first rounder back would be better than getting AI's salary off the books and getting nothing back.

I'd love to see what the 2-5 in that lineup could do with a real poing guard running the offense, too. This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but I think we'd be a better team but lose more games.

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
And basically, if the pick weren't involved, I would not want to do AI for Kidd straight up. At this point AI >>> Kidd imho.

*Superman*
08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
It would give Denver the true point that they need...And you giving a free 1st away, why not.:D

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-06-2008, 12:05 AM
If it were becoming clear that we were definitely out of championship contention (and I think that indeed will happen), then I'd be for it, since getting AI's salary off the books and getting a first rounder back would be better than getting AI's salary off the books and getting nothing back.

I'd love to see what the 2-5 in that lineup could do with a real poing guard running the offense, too. This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but I think we'd be a better team but lose more games.[/

How does that work...? "being a better team but, losing more games":confused:

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 12:07 AM
why not.:D

Kidd AI Change
(DAL) (for DEN)

ppg 10.1 26.4 +16.3
fg% 0.409 0.458 +0.049
ast 9.5 7.1 -2.4
reb 6.6 3 -3.6
stl 1.9 2 +0.1

I think I'll take AI's 16.3 ppg advantage (with greater shooting efficiency) and let Dallas keep Kidd's 2.4 assist and 3.6 rebound edge.

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 12:14 AM
How does that work...? "being a better team but, losing more games":confused:

Well, basically what I mean by that is that the quality of basketball that the Nuggets would be playing - in terms of team chemistry, playing together well, looking like they have a purpose and goal on offense - would improve. For lack of a better term, they'd be playing "prettier" basketball.

But given the massive advantage that AI has over Kidd, and the fact that there are a lot of teams in this league we can simply outscore (even without good team chemistry or good defense) because they lack the firepower we have in AI and Melo, our ability to win games might diminish in spite of "looking better" because our scoring would take such a big hit in an AI-Kidd trade.

It may be a flawed theory, but I think it's at least somewhat accurate.

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
dwanna23, you need to chill with the laughing at everybody's posts. You're about one more away from getting an infraction as of now.

avsman05
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
wow DEN you actually did it. But anyway to put some logic into dwanna's post. They want to win now, i know they dont have the team to do it right now. But after all the trades are done we will see. They are better off with AI then Kidd.

Nugget Tony
08-06-2008, 01:06 AM
I would have to pass on the Kidd deal......He is no where near what he used to be. Just look at the Olympic team...the youngsters are way out playing him in the warm up games....

I say we keep AI...and if something better comes along before the trade deadline then yeah possibly move him....but Im not really a fan of moving AI at all....

I think this guy is a diehard player.....loyal....and fun to watch....even if I do get upset with how much he dribbles the ball.....

We may be suprised this year with No Camby at the top of the key all game long....which will hopefully mean we have a big down on the blocks....working the low post.....which may keep teams D's more honest....

Im excited to see what kind of team we have become......On paper to me we are worse.....but I have seen addition by subtraction work before.....I still believe we need that 3 headed monster...Hopefully J.R. will be that 3rd head this year.....or better yet....I would love to see Nene finally shine.....

*Superman*
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Kidd AI Change
(DAL) (for DEN)

ppg 10.1 26.4 +16.3
fg% 0.409 0.458 +0.049
ast 9.5 7.1 -2.4
reb 6.6 3 -3.6
stl 1.9 2 +0.1

I think I'll take AI's 16.3 ppg advantage (with greater shooting efficiency) and let Dallas keep Kidd's 2.4 assist and 3.6 rebound edge.

Sure the points is a big no-no, but doesn't Kidd make the players around him better? Denver already has the offensive game, but what you need is D...So basically this trade gets you nowhere. Its like making a trade to make a trade. Plus i read your post about how AI brings offensive firepower so it makes sense to keep him.

*Superman*
08-06-2008, 01:51 AM
^Livingston hasn't played in forever and is his own risk. I wanted him on the Magic to and then i heard the GM said no to signing him.:(......OK nevermind.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-06-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, basically what I mean by that is that the quality of basketball that the Nuggets would be playing - in terms of team chemistry, playing together well, looking like they have a purpose and goal on offense - would improve. For lack of a better term, they'd be playing "prettier" basketball.

But given the massive advantage that AI has over Kidd, and the fact that there are a lot of teams in this league we can simply outscore (even without good team chemistry or good defense) because they lack the firepower we have in AI and Melo, our ability to win games might diminish in spite of "looking better" because our scoring would take such a big hit in an AI-Kidd trade.

It may be a flawed theory, but I think it's at least somewhat accurate.

Are you saying you would rather look "pretty" and lose?

Don't have me mistaken, I would NEVER even consider AI for Kidd.

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Are you saying you would rather look "pretty" and lose?

Don't have me mistaken, I would NEVER even consider AI for Kidd.

No, that's not what I said at all. Read posts #3 and #4 of this thread. I said that if it were clear we weren't headed for a championship anyhow, so that the final result would be either AI's salary coming off the books and we get nothing back for it, or AI's salary coming of the books and we get a first, I'd do the trade to get the first rounder. As a byproduct of that, we'd have the chance to see what JR-Melo-K-Nene could do with a true pg on deck. (And if that pg were Kidd I think we'd win fewer games but be playing fundamentally better basketball in terms of team chemistry and running a coherent offense).

I also said that if it were Kidd for AI straight up, I would definitely NOT do it. (And went on to explain why).

SlowMo
08-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Also, the whole idea that all Denver needs is a true point gaurd could be flawed. We've played for two years without one, and for the most part our players don't know how to play offense off the ball. That's our biggest problem, I could see AI being more of a distributor (but still dribbling for 8 seconds :D) if we had and OFFENSE, a plan, something other than "here's the ball, lets see what you got."

When he is confident in his teamates, and when they are getting open, he does make great passes. But our offense would have to revolve around him as the point, and not AC or Atkins. Which is how it worked a lot of the time last year anyways... AC dribbles past half court then hands the ball to Iverson, then Iverson decides what to do.