PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams season that could have been!!

papipapsmanny
08-04-2008, 03:39 PM
So i am very fascinated by ted williams stats and while i was looking at them, i found a season that was going great for him, while i know it was only a taste of the season it was very interesting to do the math. If u look at the 1953 season Williams had 13 homeruns in 91 at-bats which is a homerun every 7 at-bats

I did the math if he kept that pace for 550 at-bats he would of hit around 77 or 78 homeruns, obviously that would have been incredibly hard to do

but say for the next 460- at bats after that he hit a homerun every 12 at-bats that would have been 38 homeruns + his 13 he would have had a 51 hr year

drop it to a homerun every 10 at-bats that would have been a total of 59 homeruns

im just saying imagine if he kept that pace of a homerun every 7 at-bats up that would have been amazing, and williams would have had around 78 homeuns in a season. Too bad, and we all truly know if he didnt go into the wars he would be in the 700 club, probably around 720-730, unless he had a couple of 50 hr season in which it would be higher

just an interesting thing i wanted to point out

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeahh, Williams was a great guy giving up years of his prime years to go to the war. :clap: That also would have been great if he had the single season home run record instead of Bonds. :D

bagwell368
08-05-2008, 07:54 AM
He just didn't have the stroke, and Fenway is death to lefty pull hitters (his power being to dead left and left center).

I think without the wars his HR's goes to at least 685. His BA and SLG may have increased w/o the breaks as well. No way to know for sure but it can be extrapolated by looking at trend lines of other super elite hitters and players that lasted as long as he.

lil'papi
08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Dude could fly a plane too. He was otherworldly. Loads of books written on him and most go over the what if's.

TotallySox9097
08-07-2008, 01:15 AM
He was the ultimate man. Baseball Golf FIshing, Flying I mean DAMN!