PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Admits to Having Opposing Hitters Beaned

CubsGirl
08-04-2008, 01:21 PM
OZZIE ADMITS TO ORDERING HITS, CUSSING LOTS

Amid a typical flurry of Tourette-fueled ranting, Ozzie Guillen owned up to having opposing hitters beaned in retaliation for when one of his players gets hit. This, of course, is something all managers do, but aren't supposed to say that they do, because that would make Wally and the Beeve doubt the beneficent nature of their fellow man. Then go rob a liquor store.

“I’ve hit people before on purpose,” said Guillen, the Chicago White Sox manager, after a game Sunday in which umpires levied a suspect ejection in the fifth inning of a blowout when Chicago reliever D.J. Carrasco hit Kansas City’s Miguel Olivo with the bases loaded and incited a bench-emptying square dance.

“Yes I have,” Guillen continued. “Because that’s my job. Protect my players.”

“You think I’m going to bring somebody in to hit somebody and they’re going to throw a fastball 82 (mph) at the hands?” Guillen said. “I’m going to bring in my best guy and make sure he gets it done. That’s Major League Baseball. That’s baseball. That’s the baseball I grew up with. Not the (expletive) they play right now.”

Other than wanting to kick in the writer in the nuts for using the cornball euphemism of "square dance" rather than just saying it was a fight, I'm always buoyed by the open admission of excessive violence in sports. That's right, you don't bring in Greg Maddux to hit someone, you call in a guy with 102 mph fastball and no control like Daniel Cabrera. That way the guy can get drilled in the head when you said you were just asking for a beaning to the hip.
withleather.com

I'm not posting this to say "oh, Ozzie's classless/crazy/bush league." We all know managers do it, I just think it's hilarious that he has no issue with admitting it. Ozzie's attitude cracks me up sometimes because I kind of love when people have no filter - "Yeah, I have my pitchers hit the other players sometimes in retaliation. Suck it!"

JDIsMyGod23
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Take that advice to the Twins next time and you will be my favorite person of all time.

cwilson21
08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Take that advice to the Twins next time and you will be my favorite person of all time.

Ozzie loves us too much to do so.

GrinderBall41
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Nobody ever called Ozzie dishonest.

RockTheCell
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I believe the majority of managers do this intentionally sometimes (KC against Swish yesterday), but my first thought was "can he get in trouble with the league for admitting it?".

GrinderBall41
08-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I believe the majority of managers do this intentionally sometimes (KC against Swish yesterday), but my first thought was "can he get in trouble with the league for admitting it?".

Yes, he will get in trouble.

And all managers do it, although they shouldnt have to the pitchers should do it themselves.

In high school we had this big SP, actually ended up pitching at Aurora, threw real hard with below average control. Coach never said anything, but it was known that if this guy was brought in relief it was to throw at somebody.

cq-4mvp
08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
To tell you the truth nobody gives a ****. Everybody does it, Ozzie is just the only manager to get so pissed off to admit it

35th&Shields
08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't get this "have the right guy do the job" BS. I don't think Sean Tracey was the right guy in that situation a couple years back.

sager729
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I hope Ozzie is the manager of the White Sox for a very long time. I really like KW and Ozzie very much and hope they stay with this orginazation for a long time.

GrinderBall41
08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I hope Ozzie is the manager of the White Sox for a very long time. I really like KW and Ozzie very much and hope they stay with this orginazation for a long time.

Amen to that one.

WindyCitySox
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

jcs88
08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Ozzie is the man, gotta respect a guy who says what he believes

whitesoxbowler
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
This was bound to happen. How many WS batters has KC hit this year??? I think JD has been hit twice or three times???

kingbrentg
08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
I love Ozzie and his big mouth.

Impaler
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I hope he keeps beaning people. I like his attitude, it fits the whole south side mystique.

Tragedy
08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
To tell you the truth nobody gives a ****. Everybody does it, Ozzie is just the only manager to get so pissed off to admit it
Agreed.

I think we all know that the 30 managers at one point in time said "bean him". Not a big deal, as long as they aren't head hunting.

monica73174
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM
What I find funny is that they seem to take this more seriously than performance enhancing drugs.

DaSox_05
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Very true Monica I guess they dont want to start bean ball wars with basically every team and have people lose interest. Especially with young kids watching baseball and looking up to players. Like Charles Barkely always said im not a role model which may be true in his world but a lot of kids do look up to athelets whether they like it or not.