PDA

View Full Version : Where's the passion AK??

Enderson
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
AK looked great Sunday playing Team USA. Some might say it was because he was playing the 4, his natural position, but I think there is more to it than that. I saw passion, focus, and drive. A few minutes into the game he is in a small shoving match under the basket with Melo fighting for position on a rebound, he was slamming the ball to the floor and getting fired up about "no-calls." It looked like...he actually wanted to win.

Where is that passion - that leadership - when it's time to put on the Jazz uniform? Throughout the season Andre seems uninterested and at times I get the impression that he doesn't care that much about winning. Does it have something to do with being an international? (I would make the same criticism of many international players.) Did Jerry just beat it out of him? Or is he truly that unhappy paying in the US?

If he were to play with that type of aggression, whether at the 3 or the 4, he might just be worth the money. Does the responsibility fall on Jerry to draw that passion out? I might argue (although I am sure he wouldn't) that it in part does. Yes, AK is making allot of money and should be professional enough to bring "it" every night, but I think that we are seeing something in China; money does not equate to commitment.

Look in the eyes every US player. They are playing for free, even putting their careers at risk, yet they are more focused and driven then I have seen most of those players - ever.

What does that mean to the NBA and its importance? How do we get players like AK to care as much about the 82 as they do about a "pre-season" tune-up played thousands of miles away in the wee hours of the morning (local time) once every four years?

jimbobjarree
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Exactly, it must be hard for Europeans to be loyal to their teams, I see it over here in the EPL (soccer) where a good 60 percent are foreign and they have absolutely no commitment, only to their wallets.

I think AK is an energetic guy and does a lot for the team, but I was unfortunate to miss the Russia game. He seems like a nice guy, and I think he does have loyalty to his team mates, but if CSKA Moscow came in for him I'm sure he would consider that strongly.

You can say that about any player though, how loyal and passionate are they when they take home the same fat paycheck whether they win or lose? I'd say only a handful of players play to win and for their team.

futureman
08-04-2008, 12:03 PM
He is a very selfish basketball player IMO. We can sale him back to russia can't we?

THE_FLASH_21
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Selfish??? Y?? He was the Jazz heart and soul b4 Dwill came.. Do u guys remember Boozer?? He almost got ran'd out of town cuz he couldn't stay healthy??? Boozer is a chump only cuz he yells and screams like a little ***** climaxing after scoring, that means he plays with heart?? Yeah Right!! AK is still to me our second best player.. after Deron..
It's not that he lost passion. I wouldn't try as well if I knew i was the second best player on the team but was treated like a 5 option!!!! I don't blame him!

HotRodsHair
08-04-2008, 03:16 PM
AK's best offensive plays come outside of normal offensive sets. He does best when improvising on the end of an interior pass, or trying to cut through the paint. His length and quickness allows him to get the ball off against defenders. He is very crafty with the ball around the basket. He is also one of the best passers I have ever seen, particularly in traffic. However, he doesn't do any one thing well enough to actually run plays for him. I mean, do you consider his shot solid enough to run him off picks for open looks consistantly? Do you think his shot is solid enough to warrant settling at the three point line and waiting for an open kick pass look? Would he be capable of posting up fours and fives in this league if we threw it into him five times a quarter, and the defending teams knew it was coming? (as they do with Boozer)

If AK's shot were really solid, he would command respect from defenders, and they would be forced to close on him any time he got the ball, which of course would open up the opportunity to drive to the hoop and cause havoc in the paint. But defenders around the league have little respect for his offensive game, and simply sag off him and dare him to shoot.

AK is super talented when cutting to the hoop and improvising, but he is not, and never will be, a reliable offensive option.

Seventh King
08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I love the talk about determination, hunger, and being a player who has drive. I watched the same lacking attributes with several Chicago players this year . . .It can be disheartening as a fan. Does AK just need a change of scenery? Or, is it more of personal issue with him?

Raupie
08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I think the passion was beat out of him. Plays were no longer run for him. It almost isn't fair the way they do offense sometimes... if AK shoots an Open jumper, he gets yelled at, but boozer can shoot fadeaway shots all day without be repremanded.

Also, compare Boozer to AK in the game. Boozer hasn't done much for team USA and that is even with his coach being his same coach from college... so that doesn't say too much for Boozer and his ability.

Seventh King
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
^Meaning that Sloan gets on his case if he misses a jumper?

HotRodsHair
08-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Sloan hates nothing more than a quick long shot, especially from someone who shoots a low percentage, and in a half court set that didn't even try to get the ball inside first. But then, when AK ends up with the ball in his hands twenty four feet from the hoop, and all the defenders back up and start yelling "Go ahead, shoot it, we dare ya" what is the poor guy supposed to do?

In my opinion, if AK isn't constantly cutting through the paint, he isn't really trying. More times than not he's standing at the arc hoping someone will pass him the ball.

trentu12
08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
AK looked great Sunday playing Team USA. Some might say it was because he was playing the 4, his natural position, but I think there is more to it than that. I saw passion, focus, and drive. A few minutes into the game he is in a small shoving match under the basket with Melo fighting for position on a rebound, he was slamming the ball to the floor and getting fired up about "no-calls." It looked like...he actually wanted to win.

Where is that passion - that leadership - when it's time to put on the Jazz uniform? Throughout the season Andre seems uninterested and at times I get the impression that he doesn't care that much about winning. Does it have something to do with being an international? (I would make the same criticism of many international players.) Did Jerry just beat it out of him? Or is he truly that unhappy paying in the US?

If he were to play with that type of aggression, whether at the 3 or the 4, he might just be worth the money. Does the responsibility fall on Jerry to draw that passion out? I might argue (although I am sure he wouldn't) that it in part does. Yes, AK is making allot of money and should be professional enough to bring "it" every night, but I think that we are seeing something in China; money does not equate to commitment.

Look in the eyes every US player. They are playing for free, even putting their careers at risk, yet they are more focused and driven then I have seen most of those players - ever.

What does that mean to the NBA and its importance? How do we get players like AK to care as much about the 82 as they do about a "pre-season" tune-up played thousands of miles away in the wee hours of the morning (local time) once every four years?

AK plays with plenty of passion. He hustles for loose balls, sacrifices his body, and gives a solid effort night in night out. I don't see how anybody can say anything like this about AK when Carlos Boozer is on this team. Boozer is just an eyelash away from a Zach Randolph mentality player.

trentu12
08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Sloan hates nothing more than a quick long shot, especially from someone who shoots a low percentage, and in a half court set that didn't even try to get the ball inside first. But then, when AK ends up with the ball in his hands twenty four feet from the hoop, and all the defenders back up and start yelling "Go ahead, shoot it, we dare ya" what is the poor guy supposed to do?

In my opinion, if AK isn't constantly cutting through the paint, he isn't really trying. More times than not he's standing at the arc hoping someone will pass him the ball.

Man i don't mean to attack your posts but I don't know what you are thinking. The only reason anyone is ever just standing around the perimeter is because that's what the offense calls for. If AK is down cutting through the lane all day it gets pretty crowded and Boozer and Memo get hounded by multiple defenders on every touch. Offense in basketball is all about spacing and timing.

It's just too bad that the 3 position in Sloan's offense is built for a Bryon Russell type player. AK is not a 3, he's a 4. We are forcing him to play a position where he is relied upon to knock down 15-25 foot jumpers and that is not his game.

bw2893
08-04-2008, 10:59 PM
AK even in the nba is still a grappler for the ball. But why did he play better for Russia? It's obvious, he's an idol in Russia. He's the go to guy for everything. He is quite literally, the Michael Jordan for Russia.

But something needs to be mentioned and not forgotten. Last year when AK broke down? Does anyone think those feelings have left him? Yeah right. AK is not happy in Utah, but he has been a trained grappler his whole career, so he wouldn't stop looking like he was a maniac out there even if he wanted to.
AK's attitude hasn't changed at I think. He just isn't as verbel about it. He NEEDS TO BE ON A TEAM WHERE HE IS AT LEAST THE 2ND, IF NOT THE FIRST GO-TO GUY. That is why he plays great in Russia and that is why he doesn't quite fit into a jazz uniform.

We need to trade AK and that's it.

HotRodsHair
08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Man i don't mean to attack your posts but I don't know what you are thinking. The only reason anyone is ever just standing around the perimeter is because that's what the offense calls for. If AK is down cutting through the lane all day it gets pretty crowded and Boozer and Memo get hounded by multiple defenders on every touch. Offense in basketball is all about spacing and timing.

It's just too bad that the 3 position in Sloan's offense is built for a Bryon Russell type player. AK is not a 3, he's a 4. We are forcing him to play a position where he is relied upon to knock down 15-25 foot jumpers and that is not his game.

Well, you just dated yourself. Similar complaints were made about BRuss when he stood at the three point line too often and failed to cut. Of course, before him it was Jeff Malone who needed to show more effort cutting through the paint.

Ah, the missconceptions that are those who think standing at the three point line is activity. No offense thrives when two guys play the two man game, and everyone else stands around and watches.

If you really think that's what the offense calls for, then you've missed just a couple Sloan tirades about standing around wanting to shoot the ball everytime you touch it. The reason guys like Harp have a job, and Korver was brought in, was because we need guys who are willing to work like hell to get open, curl around double screens tightly, and hit the shot that action opens up when they get the dang ball.

Of course, if you really think standing around is what the offense calls for, then why are they wasting their time with all those double screens?

Prospect#13
08-05-2008, 01:55 AM
I think in part it is Sloan's fault. Sloan never seemed to me the coach who could call out the best in a player. He demands discipline and earns respect, but I never really saw him as a player-coach kind of man. But that's no excuse for AK. His mindset isn't for the Jazz and their offense isn't the offense that he would fit best with.

Enderson
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
AK plays with plenty of passion. He hustles for loose balls, sacrifices his body, and gives a solid effort night in night out. I don't see how anybody can say anything like this about AK when Carlos Boozer is on this team. Boozer is just an eyelash away from a Zach Randolph mentality player.

I agree that AK hustles most of the time he is on the court, but don't mistake activity for passion. My point is that I don't see AK caring about winning for the Jazz like he cared about winning for Russia.

I also agree that Boozer could use a lot more hustle, but I at least see him care and get frustrated when he is not winning.

Pnoyballer88
08-11-2008, 08:03 AM
I think Boozer is just upset that he was lit up by Odom an Gasol in that Laker series.

I honestly think AK plays his role well. He checks the opposing teams best player every night. Thats what doesn't appear on the stat sheet. Without him the Jazz are like the Suns. All Offense and No D.