PDA

View Full Version : Boozer's comments about AK really piss me off

trentu12
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Boozer is the one who needs to play with more effort. Yesterday's game should have been a huge eye-opener for anyone questioning Andrei's ability to play 4 in the NBA. He looked great. He scored from inside and out, played great defense, passed the ball well, it was an outstanding performance against the NBA's best.

If Boozer played with any kind of effort on the defensive end of the court we'd be a championship team. I can understand why Andrei is not happy in Utah...he probably can't stand watching Boozer play at 1/4 the energy level guys like AK and Millsap play at.

If Boozer would start to box out, play defense, hustle to loose balls, etc. we'd be a championship team. Until he starts doing all those little things, I think AK deserves a shot. He is a legitimate All-Star when playing the 4. Boozer can score points and that's about it.

jimbobjarree
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah I agree, but Boozer has the talent around the basket, its just a shame he isn't dominant enough that other teams have to pay extra attention to him in the paint on D, instead of the other way round.

and I missed the game, I'm annoyed, I thought it was 8pm our time not 8am, Australia tomorow at 6am Utah time isnt it?

futureman
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
when we give AK a shot at anything we are 16-16 The reason russia didn't win is because AK was the 1st option. AK had his chance at PF and blew it.

Raupie
08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Take a look at the Jazz roster before Boozer and Okur and DWill came.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/utah-jazz/team/roster/04/28/1

Their starting point guard is no longer in the NBA. Bell was a good player. Not a huge offensive threat though, but a good player. I believe that is the year Jarron Collins started at center. And harping played SF but was hurt almost the whole year. There are some descent names of young players that sucked with the Jazz but turned into pretty good players, but they didn't do anyting that year.

You cannot compare that at all to what Boozer is surrounded by. One of the best point guards in the world. A pretty darn good cetner. There is no way you can fault AK for the record before Boozer, and don't think that Boozer is the one who got it turned around. He has been a piece... but DWill, Okur, and Boozer all came together and as a unit they turned the team around. AK was pretty much alone before that time, so not his fault the team didn't make the playoffs.

THE_FLASH_21
08-04-2008, 02:05 PM
What the hell did Boozer say???

HotRodsHair
08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I completely disagree. The entire focus for both Houston and LA in the playoffs was trying to shut down Boozer as option 1. They centered their entire defensive philosophy on shutting down one player, and it wasn't DWill, AK, Brewer, Memo or Korver. You guys saw what happens when Boozer is having trouble; it effects the entire offense.

Now try to tell me how AK has that big of an impact on offense.

Boozer is a better shooter than AK. He has a stronger back-to-the-basket game than AK. He is a stronger rebounder and far more physical in the paint than AK. He is better at defending bigs backing down in the paint than AK. (I would have loved to see AK try to defend Yao the way Memo and Boozer did in the paint)

AK's advantages are in lateral quickness, which means guys facing up. He is at best as an off the ball help defender, and that means he would be playing out of position if defending the four. He does not have the size or strength to guard the big power players in this league.

I agree with Boozer's comments, and lest you guys all forget, DWill made very similar comments after the conclusion of the previous season. If you're going to rail on Boozer for questioning AK's effort, you better be ready to criticize DWill as well.

Raupie
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
DWill has the right to talk... he plays hurt and gives 100% every night. Boozer does not. So he doesn't have room to speak when it talks about effort.

If Boozer shows a stronger committment to the Jazz, I would then look at him more seriously as a leader who has the right to make comments about his teammates. But as it stands right now, Boozer is not a leader and his committment is to the team offering him the most money.

trentu12
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
when we give AK a shot at anything we are 16-16 The reason russia didn't win is because AK was the 1st option. AK had his chance at PF and blew it.

When did AK "have his chance"???

I hope you aren't referring to the years before Williams and Boozer got here. Not only is it apples and oranges when it comes to supporting cast, but even then AK was an All-Star. So if anything, he proved he can play the 4 spot in the NBA on an All-Star caliber regardless of his point guard/supporting cast.

trentu12
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I completely disagree. The entire focus for both Houston and LA in the playoffs was trying to shut down Boozer as option 1. They centered their entire defensive philosophy on shutting down one player, and it wasn't DWill, AK, Brewer, Memo or Korver. You guys saw what happens when Boozer is having trouble; it effects the entire offense.

Now try to tell me how AK has that big of an impact on offense.

Boozer is a better shooter than AK. He has a stronger back-to-the-basket game than AK. He is a stronger rebounder and far more physical in the paint than AK. He is better at defending bigs backing down in the paint than AK. (I would have loved to see AK try to defend Yao the way Memo and Boozer did in the paint)

AK's advantages are in lateral quickness, which means guys facing up. He is at best as an off the ball help defender, and that means he would be playing out of position if defending the four. He does not have the size or strength to guard the big power players in this league.

I agree with Boozer's comments, and lest you guys all forget, DWill made very similar comments after the conclusion of the previous season. If you're going to rail on Boozer for questioning AK's effort, you better be ready to criticize DWill as well.

Houston made it known that their #1 priority on defense was shutting down Williams, not Boozer. They tried to take away all of his favorite spots/shots and did everything they could to stop him. Williams still came through. The Rockets and the Lakers started off each series showing some double-teams but after the first 2 games stopped doubling him. That's because Scola, Landry, Gasol, Odom, Turiaf, and everyone else that matched up against him shut him down.

The whole league knows that Jazz's problems aren't on the offensive end of the court. We have plenty of scoring. We need defense.

Now try to tell me what Boozer's impact on defense is....

zero.

Go back and watch the games. You can watch entire games on youtube. Boozer is an absolute zero on defense.

"AK doesn't have the size or strength" to guard bigger players in the league? Did you watch the game yesterday? He had no problem guarding Bosh and Boozer. They had a hard time guarding him. YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT AK CAN'T PLAY THE 4 IN THIS LEAGUE. NOT ONLY HAS HE DONE IT, BUT HE HAS DONE IT AT AN ALL STAR LEVEL. He was an all star as a 4 in this league. So that is proven.

Williams can talk because he shows up every night and leaves it all out on the floor. Boozer doesn't.

I would love to see Booze only score 10-15 points a night, take half as many shots, and exert the extra energy on defense and rebounding. If Boozer played the game with a Kirilenko/Millsap mentality we'd be unstoppable.

Spurred1
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
What did Boozer say, though?

trentu12
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
What did Boozer say, though?

He didn't attack AK or anything. In the past, when AK has had a really good game Boozer has said things like "if AK can bring that energy every night we're going to be tough to beat", or "when AK is that active he really helps this team"...

Yesterday after AK's great game against the US team he said: "We look forward to him doing for us more of what he did today," said Boozer, adding "AK was so aggressive and very confident he played great. Let me tell you, if we can get that out of him in Utah, whew, we might be cutting the nets down."

Boozer isn't blatently criticizing Kirilenko, but he is definitely implying that AK doesn't give his best effort consistently. The problem I have with that is that Boozer needs to listen to his own advice and quit worrying about AK. If Boozer would give half the effort guys like AK and Millsap give he'd take us to the next level.

bw2893
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
"Houston made it known that their #1 priority on defense was shutting down Williams, not Boozer. They tried to take away all of his favorite spots/shots and did everything they could to stop him. Williams still came through. The Rockets and the Lakers started off each series showing some double-teams but after the first 2 games stopped doubling him. That's because Scola, Landry, Gasol, Odom, Turiaf, and everyone else that matched up against him shut him down."

First of all, it doens't matter if the rockets said that or not. Why? Well, who did they supposedly have to shut Williams down? Jackson? Alston? Yeah right. They had no one to shut williams down. And boozer? He wasn't shut down totally with the rockets, he was a huge contributor against houston. It was L.A, who is a much smarter team with a lot more talent in the front court department (being that Yao was injured) that shut Boozer down. If AK was in boozer's spot going against L.A.? I think we'd be reading these exact same words that have been coming from you, but only refering to AK not Boozer.

Even when AK had no one around him and put up his very best numbers he still didn't do as well as boozer does now, at least statistically. On the defensive end, yes, boozer HAS to improve. But the jazz's chances are much better relying on boozer the way he is and to continue to improve his defense, rather than relying on AK to somehow get to boozer's level on the offensive end, when he couldn't do it surrounded by no one during his best years.

HotRodsHair
08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
For everyone implying Boozer is somehow a lesser contributor than AK, take a moment to calculate exactly how many 20/10 guys there are in the league. Take another moment and ponder who are considered the top handful of fours in the league. Then ponder who it was that seemingly dominated the Rockets, and Golden State in last years playoffs to nearly will us to series wins. (and no, Deron had not yet become the player he was this year)

And if that isn't enough, don't forget that Deron all but implied the same thing about a certain glorified (in this thread anyway) three that is accused of already having his vacation plans in order prior to the series loss to SA. And then remember that the same player in question actually skipped a playoff practice to make vacation travel plans during this years playoffs.

Ok, back to your AK glory thread. Sorry for the interuption.

bw2893
08-04-2008, 11:23 PM
"And if that isn't enough, don't forget that Deron all but implied the same thing about a certain glorified (in this thread anyway) three that is accused of already having his vacation plans in order prior to the series loss to SA. And then remember that the same player in question actually skipped a playoff practice to make vacation travel plans during this years playoffs.

Ok, back to your AK glory thread. Sorry for the interuption."

This is a pretty funny post, but I have to say that AK did leave last year for vacation plans, but it was for a visa that had to be done on that exact date, or he would have had to wait at least another year to get the same appoinment. That is why Sloan was so easy going about it.

Still, that was a pretty funny post.

trentu12
08-05-2008, 12:07 AM
[I]"[B]On the defensive end, yes, boozer HAS to improve. But the jazz's chances are much better relying on boozer the way he is and to continue to improve his defense, rather than relying on AK to somehow get to boozer's level on the offensive end, when he couldn't do it surrounded by no one during his best years.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am not saying we need to let AK be our first option on offense. I just want Boozer to play some defense. If that happens the Jazz are going to be really tough to beat.

I really hope that Boozer turns things around defensively and has a monster season. That would be the best thing for the Jazz.

Prospect#13
08-05-2008, 01:50 AM
For everyone implying Boozer is somehow a lesser contributor than AK, take a moment to calculate exactly how many 20/10 guys there are in the league. Take another moment and ponder who are considered the top handful of fours in the league. Then ponder who it was that seemingly dominated the Rockets, and Golden State in last years playoffs to nearly will us to series wins. (and no, Deron had not yet become the player he was this year)

And if that isn't enough, don't forget that Deron all but implied the same thing about a certain glorified (in this thread anyway) three that is accused of already having his vacation plans in order prior to the series loss to SA. And then remember that the same player in question actually skipped a playoff practice to make vacation travel plans during this years playoffs.

Ok, back to your AK glory thread. Sorry for the interuption.
Zach Randolph is a 20-10 player. Yet he maintains the reputation of staying too far out of the perimeter, poor decisionmaking, and absolutely atrocious defense.

20-10, while is an amazing feat, is also overrated. There's a reason why your Bruce Bowens, Raja Bells, and Tayshaun Princes are so valuable. They contribute in ways that stats can't calculate for you, so the next time you remark on Boozer being a 20-10 player, recap back to the Rockets and Lakers series where he was held to mediocre values. I watched Odom drive by him numerous times and get his way with him. Odom who is known to be so passive and unsure.

Boozer has no quickness to be an effective defender, and his height only worsens his advantages.

With that said, Boozer is an incredible player and top 10 PF in the league.
I only wrote this post because 20-10 is an overrated statistic.

We should trade AK. If we're not utilizing his ability to run and gun and play at the 4, then trade him to a team which could use a man of his abilities. AK is definitely all star worthy, but he shouldn't be there, especially now that we resigned CJ Miles.

jimbobjarree
08-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I think you guys have the Boozer from the playoffs stuck in your head, where he obviously had something going on in his mind causing a big dip in performance. If we we'd finnished the season with last years playoffs against the rockets and Warriors everyone would be raving about how much of a beast he is. Its not like he has lost that ability, its his mindset, and if he cant sort that out living in Utah away from his family then I think he needs to be traded, but his ability is still very much there.

Lo Porto
08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Why did Boozer look so bad against L.A.? The answer is very simple. If you look to matchup vs. Utah, you look at 3 things - Boozer's inside/out game, Deron's complete package, and Okur's long range shot. If you stop Boozer, the other 2 are not as effective in Jerry's system. L.A. could care less if AK or Brewer touched the ball all night long. They know, we know, everyone knows that those 2 guys won't beat you on the offensive end in Jerry's system. They are good, but they don't shoot or drive well enough to key on. Phil Jackson even said that stopping Boozer was their top priority. It's easy when you can pinch down on the PF because the SG and SF can't shoot. You could see L.A.'s defense change when Korver was in. Everybody had more space. They had to stay on him. Think about how Malone got even better when Hornacek came in and Bryon Russell started hitting from deep; we got to the Finals.

There was a reason Boozer had a bad series. If a team can spend most it's energy stopping Boozer because the 2 and 3 are no threat, then it makes life hard for everyone. Usually, Boozer is the catalyst for the entire system and the reason we win most of our games because his role in system. He makes Deron better and vice versa. AK will not fill that PF role the same as Boozer. More importantly, AK is not what we need at SF and that's why you saw Utah match on CJ. A future combo of Brewer, Korver, CJ and Almond at the 2 and 3 is much more potent than Brewer and AK. Brewer and CJ will only get better at both ends, especially on D. Remember these guys are only 22. From that age until 30, your D only gets better.

HotRodsHair
08-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I am not saying we need to let AK be our first option on offense. I just want Boozer to play some defense. If that happens the Jazz are going to be really tough to beat.

I really hope that Boozer turns things around defensively and has a monster season. That would be the best thing for the Jazz.

I certainly agree with that. And for that reason I'm really happy about Boozer being on the Olympic team, particularly with their determination to be a good defensive team. Any extra training Boozer receives on the defensive end can only help.

jimbobjarree
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
just think if CJ can turn into a top shooting threat from the perimeter at the 3, it would give us a whole different dimension

Pnoyballer88
08-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I think AK should've been the one defending Odom in that Laker series. Because Odom abused Boozer badly on Offense. I think Sloan has forgotten how effective AK is against bigger players. Thats all I thought about while watching that series. Boozer should have been matched up with Vladi because all he does is shoot threes anyway.

I put the blame on Sloan. He's just not the type of coach who likes to make necessary adjustments. Particularly during the playoffs.

goodfromdeep
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM
A future combo of Brewer, Korver, CJ and Almond at the 2 and 3 is much more potent than Brewer and AK. Brewer and CJ will only get better at both ends, especially on D. Remember these guys are only 22. From that age until 30, your D only gets better.

This I agree with. But only on the offensive end. The problem we have is on the defensive end. And AK is the only shot blocker we have in the starting line up. The reason that Boozer has made a lot of the comments he has is because he sees AK value. When AK is playing with energy and blocking shots and stealing the ball and being one of the only 5 by 5 guys in the league that is his value. The problem is AK wants to score. The one area that he really struggles in when it comes to half court sets. In a system were he can run and do his thing he is great. In the Jazz system where the need him is on the defensive end.

I like the Idea of trading AK due to his horrible contract, lack of perimeter shooting, and basic complaining about his offensive roll. But only if and that is only if we get a good shot blocking Center in return. We at some point well have to stop people and our starting lineup with out AK can not do that.

earschicken
08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
How are the salaries going to match if we try to trade AK for a backup center? Everyone says they want to keep Memo AND get this big shot-blocking defensive bruiser at the same time. If you want to keep Memo, trading AK for another center to fill that need will never make financial sense.