PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Enter J.R. Smith Sweepstakes.

*Superman*
08-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Seems as if the Cavs are talking to the Nuggets for J.R. Smith. See for yourselves.

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08/03/its-about-time-cavs-enter-jr-smith-sweepstakes/

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I would really like to get this guy. I am throwing away his Defense and saying he is athletic, and he has the ability to create, and finish. AS the article stated 19mpg and averaging 12.5ppg is good. Imagine him getting 30+ which could easily happen. Smith could average nearly 20ppg for us. I would be very happy if we got him, he isn't the big name we all would like to get but, he still has the potential to be a great scorer in the league.

shaka_kahn90
08-04-2008, 02:37 AM
he may not be the best defender but when he tries he can be above average. Watching in the playoffs this spring he was def up to the challenge of guarding Kobe. He didn't back down at all which is a big part of defense. Overall I think he'd be a great pick up for the right price

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Seems as if the Cavs are talking to the Nuggets for J.R. Smith. See for yourselves.

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08/03/its-about-time-cavs-enter-jr-smith-sweepstakes/

Denver will match any offer, you guys make to him... JR is nice, and him and LeBron combo would be beastly. too bad we'll never know, cuz he's stayin in Denver. :silly:

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Imagine him getting 30+ which could easily happen. Smith could average nearly 20ppg for us.

I have little doubt that on nearly any team in the league J.R. could average somewhere between 21-24 ppg as a starter (depending on how much of the scoring burden he was asked to shoulder by the team). On the Nuggets, next to Melo and AI, breaking the 20 threshold would be hard.

But I'm pretty sure AIMelo=KillaDUO's right. At least I hope so. As a Nugs fan, I'll be pissed if Denver doesn't match any offer he might sign, even if it's for a lot.

Talm
08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Cavs don't have a lot to offer. The only way we get this guy is through a sign and trade. Obviously Ferry knows that though, since he's reportedly talking with Denver, not JR Smith.

IndiansFan337
08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
As some of you have stated, the only realistic way to acquire him would be via S&T.

Does anyone think they'd trade him for Anderson Varejao?

Varejao could further help to replace Marcus Camby.

Sbank
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
As some of you have stated, the only realistic way to acquire him would be via S&T.

Does anyone think they'd trade him for Anderson Varejao?

Varejao could further help to replace Marcus Camby.

I think if the cavaliers do trade and get J.R. Smith in a side is to give up Anderson Varejao. I think it would help us but I not sure the Nuggets think it be a enough for Smith. We might have to give a second round pick for him too if the Nuggets think Anderson Varejao not enough.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I have little doubt that on nearly any team in the league J.R. could average somewhere between 21-24 ppg as a starter (depending on how much of the scoring burden he was asked to shoulder by the team). On the Nuggets, next to Melo and AI, breaking the 20 threshold would be hard.

But I'm pretty sure AIMelo=KillaDUO's right. At least I hope so. As a Nugs fan, I'll be pissed if Denver doesn't match any offer he might sign, even if it's for a lot.

Technically there is nothing saying he can't. There really are only things saying he could. 12.5ppg in 19mpg is really good.. I was originally thinking more 15-20ppg never did I say 21-24..

Cavs_Fan24
08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
i say we give up Andy and a first-rounder to acquire Smith, it'd probably be the best value we'd be able to give them do to the contract situation.

IndiansFan337
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
i say we give up Andy and a first-rounder to acquire Smith, it'd probably be the best value we'd be able to give them do to the contract situation.

I think that we'd be willing to offer that in a trade, assuming Smith would sign a reasonable contract. He have to accept a salary similar to Andy's to make this work.

If he's not just greedy & all about the money he should realize it's worth it to take that amount (if the Nuggets would even have any interest in this trade) to come to Cleveland where he could finally reclaim a starting role for the first time since his sophomore season. And he could play alongside a guy -- LeBron James -- who would take all of the pressure off of him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
naww Andy is a bum.

*Superman*
08-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Another link i found.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9685

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I was originally thinking more 15-20ppg never did I say 21-24..

I said 21-24. :cool: I think if he starts and plays 32-36 minutes a game, he'll meet that mark for sure next season.

Another link i found.

hoopsworld.

That's just typical hoopsworld regurgitation of the original story in cleveland.com. Same as you or me having read that first report and then speculating about what it means.

*Superman*
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
^Yeah...lol

Talm
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
A very realistic trade here would be Varejao and Eric Snow for JR. We'd probably have to bring JR in at least at 9 mil a year which is a bit high on someone who is still just mostly potential, but it's the risk we'd have to take. We'd also have to get memphis in on the deal for salaries to mesh properly, so the likelyhood of this deal is very slim. It'd be nice, but don't get too excited about it. There's a whole lot of details and it would be a messy trade.

But to elaborate, Varejao gives them a solid young big-man to help fill their frontcourt, and Snow takes 7 mil off their payroll after the trade, which would get Denver under the luxury tax.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Varejao gives them a solid young big-man to help fill their frontcourt, and Snow takes 7 mil off their payroll after the trade, which would get Denver under the luxury tax.

We'll already have AI's $21 million contract coming off the books on 2009.

Talm
08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Yes, but Denver is 20 mil over the cap, and eric snow's contract can come off the books immediately. He's ready to retire under a disability clause, but the Cavs haven't passed the paperwork through as he's very valuable to every team who wants to clear payroll before the start of the season. Essentially he'd save Denver $14 mil if you include the amount saved in what would otherwise be luxury tax penalties. For a team that wants to clear payroll, Eric Snow is a once-in-a-decade opportunity.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Yes, but Denver is 20 mil over the cap, and eric snow's contract can come off the books immediately. He's ready to retire under a disability clause, but the Cavs haven't passed the paperwork through as he's very valuable to every team who wants to clear payroll before the start of the season. Essentially he'd save Denver $14 mil if you include the amount saved in what would otherwise be luxury tax penalties. For a team that wants to clear payroll, Eric Snow is a once-in-a-decade opportunity.

He'd save us $14 million only provided that we signed and traded J.R. for $7 million in a straight up trade for snow, without the inclusion of Varejao. But given that J.R. is totally worth $7mil, those are some costly savings.

Besides, we already did our "once-in-a-decade opportunity" salary dump by getting rid of Camby for a $10 million trade exception.

J.R., unlike Camby, is an asset that is far too valuable to let go of merely for the purpose of saving money. I'm sorry, but I really don't see the Cavs as having anything that we could really get value back on J.R. for.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
I said 21-24. :cool: I think if he starts and plays 32-36 minutes a game, he'll meet that mark for sure next season.

That's just typical hoopsworld regurgitation of the original story in cleveland.com. Same as you or me having read that first report and then speculating about what it means.

So you think he could average 15pp-20ppg more closer to 20 then 15?

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
So you think he could average 15pp-20ppg more closer to 20 then 15?

I think he can average more than 20 points a game.

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 07:30 AM
The 22-year-old Smith is a restricted free agent, but there is no indication that he and the Nuggets are going to part ways anytime soon. In fact, I've been told by a very reliable source that J.R. is not going anywhere and he could re-sign with Denver within the next 7 to 10 days...

The Nuggets already have extended a one-year, $3.04 qualifying offer to Smith, but it looks like he's going to get some long-term security. The question becomes: How much are the Nuggets willing to commit?
rockymountainnews (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/08/keeping_tabs_on.html)

IndiansFan337
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
He'd save us $14 million only provided that we signed and traded J.R. for $7 million in a straight up trade for snow, without the inclusion of Varejao. But given that J.R. is totally worth $7mil, those are some costly savings.

That doesn't make sense though. Why wouldn't the Nuggets just let him walk then? Unless we also included a 1st round pick too?

AMC31
08-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I think adding JR would be a great addition, he would probably start for us at shooting guard, he can hit the 3 very well as we saw in that one game against Denver where we got blown out, but ya i would want him.

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
That doesn't make sense though. Why wouldn't the Nuggets just let him walk then? Unless we also included a 1st round pick too?

That was kind of my point, that it really doesn't make sense, and the Nuggets wouldn't do that trade - and they won't just let him walk, either.

monster_mash
08-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree. They would need to start adding players and picks...maybe even the Grizzlies getting involved...then it gets messy. I have no doubt Danny Ferry has talked to Denver about him...just asking what it'd take. But like that article said...Smith and LBJ were talking to each other about wanting to play together. Not the Teams in serious trade talks. I'm sure Ferry has contacted Smiths agent and asked what they are looking for. But I'm sure that he's called multiple teams and talked to multiple free agents this off season. We just don't have the resources to get anything done right now.

Does anyone else wish that we could hear about things like the Cavs talking to the Bulls about Deng before he resigns with them...not 2 days after the fact. I think it'd give us all a little more hope...false hope..but hope

Cavs_Fan24
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
all he has to do is offer Andy and a first rounder and like Denver wont take that for JR

DenButsu
08-06-2008, 11:44 PM
like Denver wont take that for JR

They won't. I really believe they see JR as being a much more heavy impact player than Varejao in the very near future and for years to come.

*Superman*
08-07-2008, 12:41 AM
They won't. I really believe they see JR as being a much more heavy impact player than Varejao in the very near future and for years to come.

Yeah, this threads life is done, Denver is looking to keep JR, sorry Cavs fans.

Cavs_Fan24
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
you never know, until they resign him and i dont think they're willing to pay him what he wants, then it isnt over.
we still have hope!!:pray: