PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Enter J.R. Smith Sweepstakes.

*Superman*
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Seems as if the Cavs are talking to the Nuggets for J.R. Smith. See for yourselves.

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08/03/its-about-time-cavs-enter-jr-smith-sweepstakes/

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2008/08/terrys_talkin_about_davis_tack.html Scroll down till you see JR.

Game_Over
08-04-2008, 12:01 AM
The only thing I am surprised about is that it took so long for some team to show interest.. I am not worried it said they should go after him with the mid level and from everything I have heard we are going to match so I hope he gets a 3-4 year deal and we match it.. We Better!!!!!!

Crunchy12489
08-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Denver's FO did say that they would match any offer.

But I think the term "any" is being used very loosely.

It depends on how far the Cav's FO crosses "that" line. If they are wanting to overpay him (say 10-11 million), then I think we should let him go.

Yes he's one hell of a prospect, but he and his father said they won't agree on 8 million (what Denver offered him). So the Cavs are going to have to go over 8 million if they want this guy on their team. He's not worth over 8 million in my opinion, but the Cavaliers are desperate in adding 3PT depth on their squad. It's a possibility that the Cav's FO will skyrocket the price over 8 million and I doubt Denver will match that offer. I know I wouldn't.

But our FO is so dumb, I mean we gave away Camby for a soda can. So at this point, I'm confused on how intelligent our Front Office is at making decisions. We may or may not let JR part his ways.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Seems as if the Cavs are talking to the Nuggets for J.R. Smith. See for yourselves.

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08/03/its-about-time-cavs-enter-jr-smith-sweepstakes/

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2008/08/terrys_talkin_about_davis_tack.html Scroll down till you see JR.

Columnist in the 2nd link says:

Denver has said it will match an offer for Smith. I think the Cavs should offer something close to the mid-level exception and see if the Nuggets will do it -- or force their hand in a deal.

The MLE is $5.585 million for the 08-09 season.

It would just be a dream come true for Denver if Cleveland signed JR to a $5 million/year (= "close to the mid-level), 4-5 year contract. That's an offer I'm highly confident the Nuggets would match, and we'd lock Smith up for what really is a steal.

Do it, Danny Ferry - wave that offer sheet right in front of J.R.'s nose and get him to sign it. And then he'll be ours, mwah-ha-ha-haaaaaaa.....

Crunchy12489
08-04-2008, 01:02 AM
J.R. is getting a bit cocky to turn down a guaranteed 8 million from Denver.

He's actually thinking there are teams that will go over 8 million for him. That's why he's waiting so long to sign to Denver.

He's still being immature!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-04-2008, 01:28 AM
you can't fault the man for waitin for a little more money.

Crunchy12489
08-04-2008, 01:33 AM
you can't fault the man for waitin for a little more money.

I understand that, but 8 million is a lot up front... I would wait too, but not 2 whole months. I would have given up earlier.

*Superman*
08-04-2008, 01:48 AM
J.R. is getting a bit cocky to turn down a guaranteed 8 million from Denver.

He's actually thinking there are teams that will go over 8 million for him. That's why he's waiting so long to sign to Denver.

He's still being immature!

Wow, 8M, thats a bit much. Seriously, if he thinks he is going to get 9-10M, forget about him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-04-2008, 01:56 AM
I understand that, but 8 million is a lot up front... I would wait too, but not 2 whole months. I would have given up earlier.

Yea alot of people would have but, have you ever heard the saying... "Time is money"

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 02:32 AM
I think it's important to realize here that his father isn't his agent.

If J.R.'s agent is worth his salt, and they get an $8 million offer, he'll be telling J.R., "Look, you would be crazy not to take this deal." Think about it. I think his QO is for just over $3 million. If he just settles with that, then next summer he'll become and unrestricted FA.

So if he had this offer in front of him, he'd basically have two choices:

A - Take the $8 million (or if it's the MLE, then the $5.6m) for, say, 4-5 years (meaning he'd be looking at a guaranteed $22-40 million over that period).

-or-

B - Be guaranteed only just over $3m this season, then hope that he'll be able to land a bigger contract in 2009.

Well, he has all the potential so that B might sound appealing to him, especially when he's looking at his teammates' paychecks.

But his agent will advise him of the risks:
-He gets injured and totally loses out on his chance (can you say Livingston?)
-He struggles more than they're expecting him to and ends up falling short of the MLE next summer anyways, meaning his total income over the next 5 years will be cut in half, or even more.
-He finds himself in Karl's doghouse again and is denied the opportunity to deliver a season on the court that will land him a big contract next summer.
-He finds a way to get himself in trouble again - whether that be with the law or on the basketball court - and no teams want to touch him with a 10 foot pole next summer.

And that's what I could just think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

And I'm sure Pops is just seeing dollar signs right now and doesn't want his kid to get screwed by a greedy league, or something along those lines. But reason usually prevails in these situations, and I'm sure "$8 million isn't enough" will become "We don't want to settle for $8 million or less, but we also want what's best for J.R.'s future" will become "We were hoping for more but this was the best move to make for J.R. in the long term".

DJiC
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
does clev even have more than the MLE to spend on smith? the signed gibson and west so obviously they spend a little more, of course wallace/james/wally/Z contract go up a little....so if clev were to try it would just be MLE right?

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
does clev even have more than the MLE to spend on smith? the signed gibson and west so obviously they spend a little more, of course wallace/james/wally/Z contract go up a little....so if clev were to try it would just be MLE right?

I do believe that's a very good point DJiC. If I'm not mistaken, in order to pitch an offer that exceeds the MLE you must be more than the MLE under the salary cap, and if I'm not mistaken, the Cavs aren't there.

mgthompson
08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
How much would we have saved if we just would've extended his contract during last season?

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM
How much would we have saved if we just would've extended his contract during last season?

I don't know, but last December (I think) when the deadline came for extending or not, he really wasn't playing very well. He took a gamble by not accepting the Nugs' 3 year $10 million offer ($3.3 million/year), which seems now to have paid off since he shined so bright at the end of the season. But it will be a much, MUCH bigger gamble for him to take the QO. I hope he doesn't do that.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
The only way the Cavaliers could get him is through a S&T. So Denver might either be interested in gaining to cap room in 2009 by going with the big expiring contract of Wally Szczerbiak or they could be going for a big man like Anderson Varejao.

Game_Over
08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Iverson will give us cap room in 09 so I doubt we would sign and trade.. I am not saying we won't re-sign Iverson either just not at $20+ a year!!

DJiC
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
how bout we dont resign AI, wait till 2010 and sign wade or lebron

*Superman*
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Another link on the subject. I rather have him stay in Denver then be Lebron's sidekick and make it tougher for the Magic.:D

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9685

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Another link on the subject. I rather have him stay in Denver then be Lebron's sidekick and make it tougher for the Magic.:D

Every Nuggets fan agrees with you about that.

See my reply in the Cavs forum for my thoughts on the linked article. I think all the regular posters in here are probably already familiar with my views on its source. :cool:

DJiC
08-04-2008, 10:21 PM
i read the article and i couldnt stop laughing when i saw ridnour to rockets...hahahaha rockets looking for ANOTHER pg dont they already have like 4 on the roster? but ya i seriously hope we dont lose smith..and plus whether smith wants to sign with the cavs or not is up to the nuggets..basically if we want we can match any offer whether he likes it or not >:] and s&t won't be on our agenda esp if were gettin wally on our team...and i cant believe in the article it says "the signign of dahntay jones might mean smith is available" i believe the author has gone mad....and taking ben wallace would be great if we kept camby...and wallace=camby except in FT

TheFuture6
08-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Please offer him the MLE for 4 years. That would make my day.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-05-2008, 03:01 AM
they should have a good shot at signing him.