PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Winners and Losers

The83rdWonder
08-03-2008, 10:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgentwinnerslosers-080802

The great thing about the offseason is -- for a few short weeks anyway -- every team is a contender. A great draft pick, a savvy free agent pick up or a timely trade can turn around the fortunes of a franchise virtually overnight.

The downside, of course, is that a bad draft pick, a free agent bolting to another team or bungled trade can do serious damage. And sometimes, a team's inaction can be the worst blow of all to a hope-filled fan base.

We're five weeks into the NBA's silly season. Most of the unrestricted free agents have signed contracts. Many of the top restricted free agents are now coming to terms with their teams. And we've even had a few important trades.

Who's improved this summer? Who's taken a step back? Here's our first take at this offseason's winners and losers ...

For complete article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgentwinnerslosers-080802)

daleja424
08-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Haha...I must be confused here b/c I dont think anyone had as good an offseason as the heat. They basically traded for a superstar SG and drafted a stud PF...

phillyphan4ever
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
sixers FTW!

hockeypro68
08-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Ricky Davis, Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordon > Elton Brand and Corey Maggette.

I don't see how they can say the Clippers have had a bad offseason.

daleja424
08-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Ricky Davis, Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordon > Elton Brand and Corey Maggette.

I am going to have to disagree... Davis + Camby + Davis + Gordon combined will put up similar numbers to Brand + Maggs... but Brand/Maggs will do it from 2 guys... I think the clips got worse...sorry

Ph1lly Diehard
08-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Dude, you are the biggest homer iv'e seen on any forums.

I gaurentee you a few months ago you were praising Elton Brand, thinking he's god. Now all you gotta say is that "He will get injured, he's washed up, he's not to good, he's a traitor, etc."

Then you make crazy predictions like the 76ers getting the 8th seed and the Clippers making the WCF.

How you see the Clippers with a positive offseason is beyond me, and really I don't know why i'm getting worked up as 99.9% of your posts are rediculous.

hockeypro68
08-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Dude are you effing kidding me. First of all, I never called Brand washed up or said he'd get injured again or said he was no good. If you're referring to when I alluded to the fact that he only played like 10 games last season then thats another story. You just can't help but get on my ****ing case every chance you get. Yeah, Philly signed Brand, congrats. I still believe Philly will be a bottom 4 seed in the East, and I still think the Clippers are a stronger team, and frankly I don't give a flying **** what you say or think.... Unlike you, as you wait for any chance you get to talk down to people who don't have the same opinions as you. You're an idiot.

hockeypro68
08-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I am going to have to disagree... Davis + Camby + Davis + Gordon combined will put up similar numbers to Brand + Maggs... but Brand/Maggs will do it from 2 guys... I think the clips got worse...sorry

The Clipper's biggest problem has always been at the PG position. Adding a star like B.Davis who can score at will or dish to the open man is going to do wonders. Not to mention the additions of Ricky Davis and Eric Gordon, both lights out 3pt shooters, will spread the floor and create lanes for Thornton or Baron to drive in with ease. Adding a defensive stud and basically another 7footer in Camby is only going to help, even if just defensively. Elton Brand is not adept to any kind of Run n' Gun or fast paced offense, so frankly I'm glad he's not in LA anymore because Baron Davis and Al Thornton are about to transform the team into an entirely different ball club.

POZUNO
08-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Yall can agree or disagree on whether the Clips fell off or not this off season. Their just doing whatever they can to help better their team, just like the rest of the league. Every team has their own problems and some have it worse than others. Its what they do to keep themselves from making things worse.

What if Cleveland loss Lebron this off season or any team that loses their star? Yes that would put them in a very bad situation, just like how the Clips loss Brand. But if that team doesn't make an effort to fix the problem, than that's when you can say they had a bad or negative off season.

How is it not a positive thing? When the Clips had a decent draft, sign Baron (after Brand left), get Camby for nothing, make an effort to sign Kelena, sign Ricky, and so on and so on. Given their situation and whatever cap room they had. They did whatever they needed to do to keep their team strong. Sure they might not be a championship caliber team or even make the playoffs. But come on, don't tell me that they had a negative off season. Don't look at a team negatively for whatever they did in the past. What matters is what they do today and tomorrow.

Let me make it easier for yall to understand. Would you rather be in the Clippers situation today or the Knicks? No disrespect to the Knicks, both teams are not the greatest as we all know. But I don't think the Knicks have made enough moves this off season to make them contenders next season IMO. Agree or disagree? PEACE.

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I agree with everything you said

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
08-04-2008, 12:27 AM
The Warriors. We are a better then we were last year even with Baron gone.

POZUNO
08-04-2008, 12:29 AM
The warriors got mad money son. BALLERS!

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Maggette was a solid pickup, Anthony Randolph has already shown us in summer league that he can BALL, and Monta Ellis is amazing... I can't wait to see how he fairs as their fulltime point guard. Still though, it won't be easy for them to make the playoffs.

JordansBulls
08-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Rockets IMO and then Sixers and Clippers

POZUNO
08-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Hornets didn't have to do much this off season but damn, really good pick for their team. Can't wait to see them play Boston..

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 05:09 AM
James Posey to the hornets... damn. I don't see why Boston didn't resign him. Still though, I think a lot of the hornets success last season was due to teams not taking them seriously right off the bat. They went from a sub .500 team to a 56 win team seemingly over night. Chris Paul has turned into a bona fide star. Still though, even with Posey, I don't see them winning more than 50 games next season. Teams know they're for real now, and a lot of non-contenders from last season are stepping it up in both the East and the West.

Chronz
08-04-2008, 05:31 AM
The Clippers made the most out of a bad situation, hard to say it was a bad off season when you keep things in perspective.

Crunchy12489
08-04-2008, 05:32 AM
The Clippers made the most out of a bad situation, hard to say it was a bad off season when you keep things in perspective.

Coach Dunleavy has a high chance of receiving the COY award.

He can bring this team from the dust back to its contending self.

Tblaze
08-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I'd say Rockets and 76ers had a real good offseason..

Also I think the blazers did some nice things, getting Bayless for basicly the 13th pick...

TheNewbster
08-04-2008, 07:07 AM
The Clippers this offseason became a better team, whether overall talent is less or not. Granted, the loss of Brand and Maggette is a travesty, but by addressing the PG needs of the team, while still getting players like Ricky Davis to fortify the bench, and Camby to take over the defensive presence, the Clipper team of now is much better than the Clipper team of before. Those who would disagree (ESPN) would argue that the Clippers now lack the dominant inside game that Brand had, and are simply now a team of "potential talent" that would be a question mark to mesh together. However, let's not forget..the team got a POINT GUARD for a reason..to help bring the team together. Having a great PF and SF isn't going to mean much if there's no PG... The team now still has talent at both ends of the court and at least a PG to lead the way. The potential of this team is much greater.

Oh, and there was no real way the Clippers were going to resign Maggette because of the eventual bidding war for his services.. with Al Thorton, any GM would have told the Clippers to let Maggette go and concentrate on PG. That's not a loss. So essentially, the trade this offseason is in fact:

Brand for Baron Davis, Ricky Davis, Marcus Camby; not a bad deal, one I would willing take to improve the team as a whole: you get a better bench (dysfunctional or not, there's more talent, end of question), and you get a formidable PF while getting an All-Star PG. Take that deal 100% of the time.

DaddyCool
08-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Oh yea, Sixers are on the rise!

Tom Stone
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Haha...I must be confused here b/c I dont think anyone had as good an offseason as the heat. They basically traded for a superstar SG and drafted a stud PF...

They done ok....but as far as a well rounded team...they arn't even close....yeah they have 3 good gaurds, haslem and another power forward..."who are you talking about by the way"?With the line up they have now you'll see alot of small ball with marion at the 4...and they should give teams headakes, but when has a smallball, team gone far in playoffs.....not very often ...........I believe their gonna struggle with no big man.....its the raptors that walked away from this offseason, fillng the holes thay had to fill......Needed defence and rebounding....aquaried Jermaine o'neal and Baby shaq....and a few other good pick ups, people arn't going to respect untill they prove themselfs....but trust me when I say watch out for the raps.....another team that did good is 76ers....they almost took down detroit in playoffs and know added Elton brand, a huge piece.....another team is Alanta Halks.....no one is talking about them.....They just almost took out the nba champs in a game 7....if that's not saying something then what is....and their team was young....josh smith is becomeing a force and al hortford, marvin willams...and don't forget about Joe jonshon, and mike bibby....and a pretty good bench.....I still think they have a tough task this year because it seems like the whole league is improveing...especially the east.

DaddyCool
08-04-2008, 08:01 AM
They done ok....but as far as a well rounded team...they arn't even close....yeah they have 3 good gaurds, haslem and another power forward..."who are you talking about by the way"?With the line up they have now you'll see alot of small ball with marion at the 4...and they should give teams headakes, but when has a smallball, team gone far in playoffs.....not very often ...........I believe their gonna struggle with no big man.....its the raptors that walked away from this offseason, fillng the holes thay had to fill......Needed defence and rebounding....aquaried Jermaine o'neal and Baby shaq....and a few other good pick ups, people arn't going to respect untill they prove themselfs....but trust me when I say watch out for the raps.....another team that did good is 76ers....they almost took down detroit in playoffs and know added Elton brand, a huge piece.....another team is Alanta Halks.....no one is talking about them.....They just almost took out the nba champs in a game 7....if that's not saying something then what is....and their team was young....josh smith is becomeing a force and al hortford, marvin willams...and don't forget about Joe jonshon, and mike bibby....and a pretty good bench.....I still think they have a tough task this year because it seems like the whole league is improveing...especially the east.

Maybe no one talks about them is because they're the Hawks.

Tom Stone
08-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I'd say Rockets and 76ers had a real good offseason..

Also I think the blazers did some nice things, getting Bayless for basicly the 13th pick...

I like the blazers too......but im not big on bayless....he looks more like a small 2 than a pointgaurd.....and small 2's are a dime a dozen......they have serigo rodrigize...who i like and kopenon from holland who i also like....i'd play both of them first, over bayless...and use him as a combo gaurd.....I think they could have got a better fit at 13 for their team.....They also got batam who looks like he could be really good......The blazers are on the rise.

DaddyCool
08-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Blazers are gonna be contenders for much of the next decade.... unless Greg Oden is a huge bust, along with Bayless. Which I doubt.

Tom Stone
08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Maybe no one talks about them is because they're the Hawks.

Obviously...the halks don't have a big fan base....because the past 5 years....You have totaly missed the point of my article.....It's that the halks almost took out boston.( that's a step in the right direction.)
And for no one to reconize them as a team on the rise....is pathetic.

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
The hawks may be on the rise, but so many teams improved in the offseason. Just focusing on Eastern Conference teams, Washington has Gilbert Arenas back, Toronto picked up JO, Philadelphia signed EB, Chicago drafted Rose, Miami Beasley... all those teams got way more competitive. What have the hawks accomplished this offseason? Not much...

BADizzleBoY
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM

because here is your lineup now

davis
davis
gordon
kaman
camby

and here is you lineup in the years:

blank
blank
gordon
kaman
blank

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
First of all you're wrong... Completely missing Al Thornton.

Our lineup right now would probably be
Davis
Davis
Thornton
Camby
Kaman

and in the years to come we have Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordon and Al Thornton who all have the potential to make a lot of noise in the league. Chris Kaman is only 26 and Baron Davis is only 29.

BADizzleBoY
08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
deandre wont do ****, gordon will be good but gone from that sorry *** team, and thornton will stay because he a chub. and in three years davis, camby, davis will all be gone.

daleja424
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM

ummm... Mike Beasley...

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
deandre wont do ****, gordon will be good but gone from that sorry *** team, and thornton will stay because he a chub. and in three years davis, camby, davis will all be gone.

You could say that about a lot of teams though. In 3 years, think of what the Spurs are going to be like. Tim Duncan is going to be 36 and possibly even retired. Ginobili will be 35. The Suns are going to have the same problem with Nash & Shaq. Most notably, the Celtics are going to be in trouble pretty soon as well. I mean of all the teams in the NBA, I wouldn't worry about the Clippers seeing huge aging problems as immediately as a lot of other teams. You're just a dumbass who hates the clippers.

BADizzleBoY
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
a lot of teams? you only named the spurs.

TheNewbster
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
a lot of teams? you only named the spurs.

Er, hello, read and you notice words also mentioned including: "Suns" and "Celtics". The Suns being "Shaq and Nash" and Celtics being self explainatory to anyone who follows the NBA. But to be nice for people like you, that means KG and Ray Allen. But while you're at it, the Mavericks in 3 years will enjoy their PG position getting old cause they traded Devin Harris...

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
People like ph1llydiehard and badizzleboy just see and read what they want, and then try their best to give you shh!t for it

Hawkeye15
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
The Clipper's biggest problem has always been at the PG position. Adding a star like B.Davis who can score at will or dish to the open man is going to do wonders. Not to mention the additions of Ricky Davis and Eric Gordon, both lights out 3pt shooters, will spread the floor and create lanes for Thornton or Baron to drive in with ease. Adding a defensive stud and basically another 7footer in Camby is only going to help, even if just defensively. Elton Brand is not adept to any kind of Run n' Gun or fast paced offense, so frankly I'm glad he's not in LA anymore because Baron Davis and Al Thornton are about to transform the team into an entirely different ball club.

Yeah, and now they have no power forward. Davis was a baby who missed games on a winning team, how is he going to deal with a 30-52 team? Ricky Davis was the starter for the 15-67 Heat. He aint bringing in wins. Gordon is a 6'2" rookie, he is a ways off from contributing. Camby is a great help defender, and great rebounder, but can't score on anyone. I like Thornton, but he is not as good as Magette yet, not even close. Sorry dude, the Clips record will improve this year, simply because their best player missed SO many games last year. But they are worse now than they were 2 years ago by a lot

Hawkeye15
08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
The Warriors. We are a better then we were last year even with Baron gone.

how do you figure? You have no point guard, and no depth. Your top clutch player is gone. Beidris was overpayed, and Magette is good an all, but he is never going to be an all star. The Warriors have no chance at the playoffs. Portland has passed them up. They just have to hope Denver continues its fire sale, they might sneak in that way, but I doubt it.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Maggette was a solid pickup, Anthony Randolph has already shown us in summer league that he can BALL, and Monta Ellis is amazing... I can't wait to see how he fairs as their fulltime point guard. Still though, it won't be easy for them to make the playoffs.

Here is my prediction on Randolphs rookie stats:
games played: 21
mpg: 8
ppg: 2.2
rpg: 1

He is so far off from being a contributor it isn't even funny

hockeypro68
08-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, and now they have no power forward. Davis was a baby who missed games on a winning team, how is he going to deal with a 30-52 team? Ricky Davis was the starter for the 15-67 Heat. He aint bringing in wins. Gordon is a 6'2" rookie, he is a ways off from contributing. Camby is a great help defender, and great rebounder, but can't score on anyone. I like Thornton, but he is not as good as Magette yet, not even close. Sorry dude, the Clips record will improve this year, simply because their best player missed SO many games last year. But they are worse now than they were 2 years ago by a lot

Essentially Camby or Kaman is going to play powerforward. What, did you think he was going to come off the bench for Kaman? They'll be playing at the same time. The Ricky Davis signing was AT WORST acquiring a solid lights out 3 point shooter to come off the bench. Or start. Dunleavy likes to mix up the line up all the time. The Clippers have improved by so many leaps and bounds from last season and I even think they can be better than the team of 2 years ago.

And as for Anthony Randolph, I think you'll be surprised by how much of a splash he makes next season.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Essentially Camby or Kaman is going to play powerforward. What, did you think he was going to come off the bench for Kaman? They'll be playing at the same time. The Ricky Davis signing was AT WORST acquiring a solid lights out 3 point shooter to come off the bench. Or start. Dunleavy likes to mix up the line up all the time. The Clippers have improved by so many leaps and bounds from last season and I even think they can be better than the team of 2 years ago.

And as for Anthony Randolph, I think you'll be surprised by how much of a splash he makes next season.

Of course they have improved from last season. Brand missing all of it basically was a given how bad they would be. I like Thornton, I think he will be a good scorer in the NBA, but you have a front lineup, tall, yes, but one with absolutely no post moves offensively. Kaman lives of primitive low post moves, that only work against lesser teams, and Camby is not an offensive player, at all. They should be a decent rebounding team with those two, but offensively, they are not anything like they were 2 years ago.
As far as Randolph, if he plays in more than 50 games, I would consider that a success. Nelson does NOT play rookies, look at the skinny kid from last year, and Randolph is 6'10", 190 lbs. He wouldn't last 15 minutes in a real NBA game, regardless if he can throw a shot in behind his back on a regular basis.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2008, 09:22 PM

btw, I am a Wolves fan, Davis is good for curls around screens, an breakaways. With Davis being a good point, Ricky could have a decent year, but he is a third banana on his best day. That being said, I am also a Iowa fan, so I gotta give love to Ricky

fins08
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Daleja, waht superstar SG did we trade foR? We got James Jones, B Easy, Mario and that it.

RAPS424
08-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Hilarious How Americans Never Looked Up North... Raps Got Rid Of A Disgruntle Pg (tj Ford) And Picked Up A 6 Time All Star Almost Career 20 And 10 Pf/c.. Numbers Only Went Down When He Was Injured.. Finally Is Healthy Again.. And Now Is Playing Along Side One Of The Best Pf In The Game...bosh And O'neal Are Arguably The Best Front Court In The East Now.. And Surrounded By 3 Point Shooters And A Top 10 Pg (calderon) And Not One Person Mentioned The Raptors....lol

POZUNO
08-04-2008, 10:28 PM
But they are worse now than they were 2 years ago by a lot

Please don't claim such a thing when the season hasn't even started. The Clips are a new team with new faces and for one to say that they are worse now than they were 2 yrs ago by a lot without any recent stats to back up your claim is RIDICULOUS!

UNETOWNBAYAREA
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM

I AGREE!

UNETOWNBAYAREA
08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
how do you figure? You have no point guard, and no depth. Your top clutch player is gone. Beidris was overpayed, and Magette is good an all, but he is never going to be an all star. The Warriors have no chance at the playoffs. Portland has passed them up. They just have to hope Denver continues its fire sale, they might sneak in that way, but I doubt it.

LMAO .. i looked at your total thread entires and i noticed your still new/noob.. figured y u make senseless comments like u did...

Thats good u say biedrins was overpayed.. how so.. he only led the league in field goal shooting and nearly missed averaging a double double.

Dubs have no point guard? u havent watched ne games 2 decide ellis cant play the point cuz he can...

How did portland pass them up? WHo had a better record last year? Who knows if Oden stays healthy.

Dubs r alot deeper than last year... y dont u look at their roster.. only major loss is davis.. Look who they gained...

JustBlaze07
08-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Blazers

pwest6
08-04-2008, 11:27 PM

whos thier superstar SG they traded for?

hockeypro68
08-05-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm Very curious to see how the Heat do next season. They have the talent to be a serious contender in the East. I think it'll depend on how well Wade Marion and Beasley mesh. They could use a pointguard

DaddyCool
08-05-2008, 05:41 AM
They arn't a contender. Beasley and Marion play the same position. They'll have Chalmers start at PG but I don't know how good he'll be. They have no inside presence, and also Dwayne Wade's knees are still questionable.

hockeypro68
08-05-2008, 06:01 AM
They may just put Beasley at the 4 and play him alongside Marion. Both have already shown they can rebound. As far was Dwyane Wade is concerned... he seems to be doing alright for team USA. I think in the east, this heat team is certainly capable of making the playoffs and going past the first round even.

TMAC94
08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Clippers are def one of the big winners.

DaddyCool
08-05-2008, 08:30 AM
They may just put Beasley at the 4 and play him alongside Marion. Both have already shown they can rebound. As far was Dwyane Wade is concerned... he seems to be doing alright for team USA. I think in the east, this heat team is certainly capable of making the playoffs and going past the first round even.

Boston, Detriot, Philly, Cleveland, Orlando, Washington, Toronto are all better than Miami. That means they'll be fighting for the 8th spot with the other 7 teams.

HOZ THE KNICK
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
atlanta hawks lose every off season.....i guess the owners over there are cheap.

LakerzDQ
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
trailblazers had the best draft night.
Rockets had the best trade.
Clippers did the best job of trying to improve themselves.

other winners are:
Raptors, they did a good job in trading for a true low post threat.
Bucks, they got a great scorer in RJ to complement Redd.

hockeypro68
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Boston, Detriot, Philly, Cleveland, Orlando, Washington, Toronto are all better than Miami. That means they'll be fighting for the 8th spot with the other 7 teams.

Yeah, I don't figure the Heat will beat out any of those teams. I think the 8th seed will be fought out between Chicago, Miami, and Atlanta. All I'm saying is, Miami does have the talent to make some noise, if they can form good team chemistry and win games... which is easier to do in the East.

astrosmaniac
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
the first comment about the heat basically trading for a star SG was talking about getting wade back from injuries :pity: to those who dont get it

Hawkeye15
08-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Please don't claim such a thing when the season hasn't even started. The Clips are a new team with new faces and for one to say that they are worse now than they were 2 yrs ago by a lot without any recent stats to back up your claim is RIDICULOUS!

they are not a contender for the playoffs, and two years ago they were. Simple. I don't see any way they make the playoffs with their roster

Hawkeye15
08-05-2008, 01:56 PM
LMAO .. i looked at your total thread entires and i noticed your still new/noob.. figured y u make senseless comments like u did...

Thats good u say biedrins was overpayed.. how so.. he only led the league in field goal shooting and nearly missed averaging a double double.

Dubs have no point guard? u havent watched ne games 2 decide ellis cant play the point cuz he can...

How did portland pass them up? WHo had a better record last year? Who knows if Oden stays healthy.

Dubs r alot deeper than last year... y dont u look at their roster.. only major loss is davis.. Look who they gained...

I am new to prosportsdaily. So what? Beidris was overpayed. $10-11 is too much. Ellis is a combo guard who in my opinion, will not be as effective as a point. At all. Golden State lost its best player, and had a below average draft, and added Magette, a solid, but not great player. Davis is better. Portland is a year older, and Oden will at least be a very solid big man right away. GS fans need to stop thinking Randolph will even play. Nelson doesn't play rookies. I will go out on a limb, and say the Warriors will be 43-41 this year, 10th in the west.
How are my comments sensless?? Everyone is disilusional this time of year, salivating at the best case scenarios for their team. I am a Wolves fan. IF they stay healthy, and IF Foye finally emerges, and IF Jefferson takes the next step, and IF Love isn't a bust, and IF their young guys all grow, they could win 42 games. But they won't. They will be a 34-48 team. And that is hoping. I have followed the NBA for years, since about 1993. Everything I say is my honest opinion. Don't need to be criticized for opinions my man. Just state your argument, and be done with it

RocketsRule
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Winners:
Rockets: Acquired an All Star talent in Artest, for basically two first rounders and bobby Jackson.

Toronto: Made Jose Calderon their future point guard by locking him up. Also, traded former point guard TJ Ford for star Jermaine O'neal. They didn't sacrifice too much, and when healthy JO can be a beast for this team.

76ers: Didn't make much noise trade wise, but a had a huge signing in Elton Brand. A team that took the Pistons to 6 games, adds a post presence and a body down low. This signing catapults them into the top of the East with Detroit, Boston, Raptors, and others.

Losers:

Nuggets: Practically gave away a DPOY. I know they were pressured with the luxury tax, but I still think they could have gotten more.

Clippers: Didn't have to bad of an off-season, but when you lose Brand and Maggette for basically Baron Davis and Marcus Camby, it was somewhat of a down off-season.

POZUNO
08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
they are not a contender for the playoffs, and two years ago they were. Simple. I don't see any way they make the playoffs with their roster

Who said they're a contender for the playoffs??? I simply said don't make any claims or statements about the Clips not being any good now than they were 2 years ago without any recent stats or proven comparisons to prove your claim.

Just admit you don't like the Clips and it's all good. I don't care.

"To each is own" - Grap Luva

Hawkeye15
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Who said they're a contender for the playoffs??? I simply said don't make any claims or statements about the Clips not being any good now than they were 2 years ago without any recent stats or proven comparisons to prove your claim.

Just admit you don't like the Clips and it's all good. I don't care.

"To each is own" - Grap Luva

Who cares about stats? They are numbers. I have no problem with the Clips. Why would anyone hate a team that has never been that good? You only hate a team that spanks yours all the time, and is really good. I hate the Spurs for example. I am not going to research and spend a bunch of time explaining my view with stats, I am making a guess as to how they will do based on following the NBA for 13 years, pretty much all year round. I will admit I don't watch many of their games, they don't show them here. But i don't have faith in any of their players except Baron if he is healthy, and I think Thornton will be a player soon enough. Good replacement for Magette, in 2 years.

POZUNO
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Its all good dog. I ain't trippin. I just wanted a better explanation from you on your take on the Clips. One

Storch
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
You guys cant blame the clippers for trading away brand and maggette. Those two players have been there FOREVER, and the clippers are still down in the dumps. Change is sometimes necessary when the team is not going anywhere.