PDA

View Full Version : What to make of the change at the point?

phlp_bj
08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
SHANGHAI, China -- Jason Kidd sat and watched the final 20 minutes of Team USA's friendly competition against Russia from the bench Sunday, his warm-ups never coming off.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski, when asked why he benched Kidd, was in the middle of answering during his postgame interview when Kobe Bryant interrupted with a two-word explanation: "He's old."

Krzyzewski said Kidd will be back in the starting lineup Tuesday night when the Americans play their final pre-Olympic exhibition game against Australia, but what will happen beyond that point is fair game for open speculation.

With Chris Paul and Deron Williams looking especially effective against Russia's zone defense, what we saw in Team USA's 89-68 victory over the reigning European champions could be an indication of what we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

J-Kidd could be done, or at least on his way to being marginalized. That's not the way he saw it, though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USARussiaRecap-080802

daleja424
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
he should take one for the team and fake an injury... then we can bring in tyson chandler... b/c Kidd is useless on this team and we could use another big athletic body inside for defense and rebounds (and b/c Dwight could get into major foul trouble with just 5 fouls a game in FIBA)...

hey do you think the rotation will stay the same when the real games start or will we see more minutes for bron/kobe/wade?

phlp_bj
08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
kidd is not useless!!! he is the best passer on this team. he is also one of the leaders on this team

daleja424
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Kidd is repatative. he is still a great PG... but with Paul and Williams how can you say we wouldnt be better off with having an extra center?

and he can still be a leader in a suit...

phlp_bj
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
can we still carry kidd on the team if hes not playing? if we could, i would do it. get someone like chandler or marion

daleja424
08-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Id just have him fake an ankle injury and just sit on teh bench in a suite with the guys... The only problem is that he wouldn't get a metal (so he wouldnt do it) but it makes the most sense to me...

phlp_bj
08-03-2008, 11:20 PM
although it is difficult to make a change to the initial 12-man roster unless there is an injury to one of the players that can be verified by a doctor from the International Olympic Committee

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3467851

it would have to get passed a committee

GunFactor187
08-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Kidd is still valuable to this team, maybe not a starter but someone who can provide some veteran input to the team. I compare him to my Detroit Pistons' Lindsey Hunter, someone who can play that player-coach role.

_Sn1P3r_
08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Id just have him fake an ankle injury and just sit on teh bench in a suite with the guys... The only problem is that he wouldn't get a metal (so he wouldnt do it) but it makes the most sense to me...

Yup he won't do it. I'm pretty sure he wants the gold.