PDA

View Full Version : Gaborik to pittsburgh?

piratesfan95
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
many websites are reporting that marian gaborik is drawing attention from pittsburgh,vancuver,and washington with pittsburgh being the best possible and likely place for gaborik to go this would fit in well with gaborik playing along side with crosby

ryan whitney is most likely going to be in the deal for gaborik if this does take place

trading whitney with his 4 mil dollor salary and trading some others for gaborik should also free up room to sign gaborik as well

sao123
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
according to TIOPS, there is ZERO truth to the Gaborik to Pittsburgh Rumor.

No truth to the Gaborik Rumor; Shanahan continues to express an interest in Pittsburgh
There's a rumor on Hockeybuzz.com (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16407) that indicates the Penguins putting together a package to acquire Wild forward Marian Gaborik. To put it nicely, there's absolutely no truth to that rumor. A source also tells me, the Wild are closer to signing Gaborik then trading him.

As reported first by the TIOPS way back on July 3rd, Brendan Shanahan approached Ray Shero about signing with the Penguins. http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/2008/07/day-3-nhl-free-agency-live-updates-will.html, Since the inquiry from Shanahan's camp, Pittsburgh didn't show that much interest but according to a source, Pittsburgh remains Shanahan's #2 destination behind New York.
Today it's August 3rd and Pittsburgh is beginning to inquire about the possibility. Over the past 72 hours the Penguins had discussions with Shanahan's representatives. Discussions were brief and centered around what kind of role Shanahan would have but Shanahan made it known to Shero early in free agency he would be willing to sign for 1.5 -1.8 million. At this moment, nothing is imminent but for the first time in a month, Pittsburgh is at least looking into the possibility.
Talked to a Rangers source who is denying that the Rangers are looking to trade Scott Gomez to clear space for Mats Sundin. I don't know who started the Gomez rumor but once again there is no truth to him being shopped.
Speaking of Sundin, from what I'm hearing it's Toronto or retirement.
The Nashville Predators are in the market for a forward according to the THE TENNESSEAN. The Preds are expected to give Mark Parrish a look and have had brief discussions with Ladislav Nagy.

Posted by DePaoli Editor-in-Chief of TIOPS at 1:45 PM Links to this post

Labels: DePaoli - NHL Insider

MaZin420
08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
2 bad there is no truth to this. That would be a HUUUUGGEE Upgrade

jmiller26
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Gaborik + Crosby + Malkin = :drool:

KJL
08-07-2008, 01:47 AM
The only way I could see anything remotely like this happening is if Pitts included Jordan Staal in the deal as well. I don't think Shero can afford to pay him what he is worth and Therien can't give him the premium offensive minutes he deserves and that may make this his last year with the Pens.

Dashtary
08-07-2008, 02:33 AM
no there is actually some truth to this rumor, im a caps fan and i hope that they can get gaborik. there was an article about this on another page, heres the link:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/43841-marian-gaborik-going-to-the-buffalo-sabres-closer-to-happening-than-you-think

mrbowflex1223
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I think we would do it and become unstoppable we traded for Hossa at the deadline which shocked many so do not be surprised if they pull a deal off which includes a package with Whitney, Staal, and others along with a pick or 2 in the deal

KJL
08-08-2008, 04:03 AM
The other thing to remember is that if Minnesota faulters Gaborik becomes very tradeable at the deadline. So even if it doesn't happen sooner - later may not be such a bad thing.

ldarius21
08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Gaborik will not bring what Hossa left with but a pure goal scorer would be a perfect fit on Sid's line. I would trade Whitney for him every day but cant imagine letting Staal go as well in the trade or by himself. I think this is a can that is being kicked around but that is about it. Nice thought though.

Sbank
08-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Gaborik would make us better then we are now but we need to clear some cap in order to make a move like this.

MG3
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
pleeeeeeeease everyone needs to stop hating on ryan whitney. He was the best defensemen we had in the stanley cup series. He's still young and he'll come into his own this year. Bank on it

ldarius21
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I wouldnt call it hating on him, I would call it disappointment at his performance leading up to the cup series. A good portion of the season he put us into more trouble then good and this was his worst year in the bigs. He has a lot to prove this year and I think the pressure of knowing he needs to be a number one defenseman with Gonchar getting close to the end of his contract is too much for him, I really hope that I am wrong but I dont think I am, I hope he does well so you and all of the Whitney fans can say I told you so. I at one time was a big fan of his too :)

bartlett2266
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
He hasnt played 3 years in the league yet hell come around. he stepped up when it mattered most in the finals

mrbowflex1223
08-17-2008, 12:10 PM
its not really hating he gives the most value in a trade and we seem to have a surplus of defense men so losing a defense man such as Whitney he could b interchangeable with any defense man in a trade just as long as we save some money and get a better player in the deal

jmiller26
08-17-2008, 03:08 PM
so much for trading whitney

Steelinks
08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I think that injury just showed how valuable he may actually be. Here all the man did was play on one bad foot and still put up halfway decent numbers and all he did was excel in the Final when Gonch got hurt and he knows he needs to get better. I think Whits will be fine. When he comes back from this surgery I'll be surprised if everyone is talking trade bait.

jmiller26
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Maybe that's why he got surgery now, so he couldn't be used for trade bait

phinsfan
08-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I would Trade Whitney, for Gabarik no problem. Only if it doesn't break the bank.

Cessna
08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
i hope pittsburgh does trade for Gaborik, they would give up a ton in the process and end up screwing themselves in the long run.

jmiller26
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Give me a break, how would we screw ourselves for the long run? Whitney, plus another player and a pick. Please. Our team would be unstoppable with Gaborik. Sid to Gabby all day every day. :dance:

Steelinks
08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
i hope pittsburgh does trade for Gaborik, they would give up a ton in the process and end up screwing themselves in the long run.

I love how Cryer fans stalk our threads and think we care about what they think. What they fail to realize is our Baby Pens went to the Calder cup. If we really wanted to trade some people to clear some cap space we could do it easily and just call up some baby Pens and do just fine.

Sbank
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
If we trade to get Gaborik for Whitney and a pick for him I do it in a hart beat.

ShaunRiching9
08-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Id like to see this trade happen But i dont want to let go of Whitney, Rather it be Gonchar because hes getting old dont get me wrong i mean he is still their best d-man but i think Whitney, Orpik, Letang, Scuderi, Goligoski, and Gill is pretty damn good and Gaborik can easily have 50 goals playing with Crosby or Malkin probably 100 points too

jmiller26
08-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Why wouldn't you want to get rid of Whitney for Gabby. He might even be an upgrade of Hossa. I think if a deal were to get done, the pens would have to give up Whitney + a pick + another 3rd liner

bartlett2266
08-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I love how Cryer fans stalk our threads and think we care about what they think. What they fail to realize is our Baby Pens went to the Calder cup. If we really wanted to trade some people to clear some cap space we could do it easily and just call up some baby Pens and do just fine.

They have to stalk our threads check our progress because baring a major change or move they know they have no chance of beating pittsburgh like come on marty biron might as well :surrender:

ldarius21
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Who would have ever thought we would be talking about an over-abundance of defensemen in Pittsburgh and not enough fire power up front? As for Philly fans they have to have a good team to talk about and it isnt in their back yard :)

I think in order to get Gaborik we would have to have an agreement in place for a couple of years before we could let important pieces of the Stanley Cup puzzle go so unless he is willing to talk long term deal I think this is wishful thinking.

JMcAdams55
08-20-2008, 11:51 PM
They have to stalk our threads check our progress because baring a major change or move they know they have no chance of beating pittsburgh like come on marty biron might as well :surrender:

I'm sorry but I thought we were allowed in here? I'm also sorry that we follow other teams and care about hockey in general and not just 1 team.

Who would have ever thought we would be talking about an over-abundance of defensemen in Pittsburgh and not enough fire power up front? As for Philly fans they have to have a good team to talk about and it isnt in their back yard :)

I think in order to get Gaborik we would have to have an agreement in place for a couple of years before we could let important pieces of the Stanley Cup puzzle go so unless he is willing to talk long term deal I think this is wishful thinking.

Agreed. After all that was given up for Hossa, I don't think they would do it again without locking him up. It was worth it for a strong playoff push but would've been even better if they could've kept him. Also welcome.

bartlett2266
08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry but I thought we were allowed in here? I'm also sorry that we follow other teams and care about hockey in general and not just 1 team.

Agreed. After all that was given up for Hossa, I don't think they would do it again without locking him up. It was worth it for a strong playoff push but would've been even better if they could've kept him. Also welcome.

Relax buddy just a little trash talk stop by whenever would love to hear from ya and i do follow the enitre league quite a bit so u can bring up any team bud aint no worries and dont worry man i think the flyers will be alright there a lock for 2nd place this year in the atlantic much better then the rangers

jmiller26
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Philly fans are frontrunners. It wasn't me who said it. Cough Jimmy Rollins Cough

JMcAdams55
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Philly fans are frontrunners. It wasn't me who said it. Cough Jimmy Rollins Cough

Funny... He gets mad at us when we boo him when he's playing like **** but when we cheer him when he's playing good, we're front runners.

jmiller26
08-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I know, but at least you have a major league team. We have the pirates.