PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers having a 'fantastic' camp.

BrewCityBuck
08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
"We all get paid a lot of money to be professionals," Philbin said. "He's displaying that he's a pro. He's staying on task, trying to lead the football team and do his job."

One of his teammates, fullback John Kuhn, said Rodgers had made few mental mistakes, at least as far as the players can see.

"He's been on his game," Kuhn said. "You could tell from Day One in March. He was coming in and he was ready for his time."

Kuhn sees the offense evolving to fit Rodgers' strength. He is dashing about the pocket, seems to be a fairly accurate deep-ball thrower on the move and is looking to run when the protection caves.

"He's very quick and good on the run," Kuhn said. "We're giving him the ability with run-pass option. Get outside. Get deep. It's pretty much just him getting out there and just seeing the field. 'A-Rod's' a terrific athlete and he's got such a strong arm."

For his part, quarterbacks coach Tom Clements said Rodgers was having an "outstanding" camp.

Hell, yeah," Philbin said. "He's protecting the ball. He's throwing the ball well. He's handling the offense. He's checking plays. Absolutely."

Asked if Rodgers was performing at the level of what an adequate starter would demonstrate, Philbin replied: "We're going to find out soon."

Given the emotional developments involving Brett Favre, it's hard for anyone not to watch Rodgers' every move. Yet, Philbin has not discussed pressure with him.

"We all get paid a lot of money to be professionals," Philbin said. "He's displaying that he's a pro. He's staying on task, trying to lead the football team and do his job."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778680

Good to hear, good to hear. :clap:

servais77
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Good Spin here. I keep hearing that he is having poor practices. As evidenced by the piss poor two minute drill on Thursday and starting off the team session yesterday with a pick to Johnny Jolly.

SDteacher
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Good Spin here. I keep hearing that he is having poor practices. As evidenced by the piss poor two minute drill on Thursday and starting off the team session yesterday with a pick to Johnny Jolly.

John Jolly is at camp? What is the deal with him, any new news?

servais77
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM

He is looking really good...He should be fine IMO. If Marshawn Lynch can get away with a hit and run Jolly should be able to have excessive pain medication.

BrewCityBuck
08-03-2008, 03:43 PM

I believe Johnny Jolly's court date is in late August, then the issue may be over and we'll see what happens with his punishment, and league punishment. :(

newdude
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Really? Some of the reports saying he's not doing so well. Guess we'll see when preseason begins.

Ryan Diesel
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I've heard twice in the last week that he's had really bad practices. I guess you can spin anything the way you want it.

wwfd1220
08-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I've heard twice in the last week that he's had really bad practices. I guess you can spin anything the way you want it.

yes i agree, all i have heard thus far, is that rodgers camp has been crap. until today, good job a.r. keep up the good work. btw, #4 is on his way in too give you a little competition.

hughest4
08-03-2008, 06:42 PM
He is looking really good...He should be fine IMO. If Marshawn Lynch can get away with a hit and run Jolly should be able to have excessive pain medication.

I think that Jolly's and Lynch's situations are totally different. I'm pretty sure that Lynch hit a women in the pouring rain and didn't even realize he did it(not sure how hard he hit her). But that was a complete accident. I still think Jolly could get suspended but until then he will be with us

SDteacher
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Do you think Favre being in green bay will have an adverse affect on Rodgers play in practice? I do

SDteacher
08-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I think that Jolly's and Lynch's situations are totally different. I'm pretty sure that Lynch hit a women in the pouring rain and didn't even realize he did it(not sure how hard he hit her). But that was a complete accident. I still think Jolly could get suspended but until then he will be with us

Couldn't agree more. What do you guys think the chances are of us bringing in someone like Grady jackson? I'd like it, the idea of two huge bodies like his and Pickets sounds awesome to me. I'd like to think that we'll pick someone up after the final roster cut downs. Sorry I know it's a little, well a lot off the topic of the thread, but I don't want to start a new one.

Brendan
08-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Too bad none of this matters anymore since Favre is holding TT hostage

Brooke
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM

I have heard the same exact thing....

wwfd1220
08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Too bad none of this matters anymore since Favre is holding TT hostage

you are entitled to your opinion. my opinion is tt should feel lucky. favre may end up saving his job.

Brendan
08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Mayb its just me but i dont get why everyone wants Favre back.

Me PERSONALLY. I COMPLETELY agree that he is the better QB FOR NOW!!! But i find it that Packers fans are being selfish. They are asking for Favre so they can win THIS YEAR, instead of waiting for Rodgers so they can win for MANY YEARS in the future. Thats just my opinion tho

Brooke
08-03-2008, 09:38 PM
^^ in football you want to win now and Favre gives us the best shot of doing that

Brendan
08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree but you also have to look out for the future of your club. You dont trade all your draft picks for guys that can make you win now. You have to have a plan for the future. And your throwing that plan away

hughest4
08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I agree but you also have to look out for the future of your club. You dont trade all your draft picks for guys that can make you win now. You have to have a plan for the future. And your throwing that plan away

I honestly don't think we are throwing our future away whatsoever. Aaron Rodgers can either sit through another year on the bench at be our starter whenever Brett decides to retire or we can just start Brohm when Favre is done for good. I like both of these young guys and think they will be very good. Personally, i think Brohm is more talented and has more upside

wwfd1220
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM

ummmm we didnt trade all of our draft picks away. that was the vikings remember. we are talking about a guy that has been playing for this team for a decade and a half. if we lose rodgers. oh well, we have brohm waiting in the wings. i fail to see your point about the future of our team. it is the same team as last year and we are young and we have a handfull of q.b.'s waitring for there chance. get over it, it is not like you are a fan of the packers anyways.

masseycubs
08-04-2008, 02:33 AM
If he starts, they'll be lucky to get 8 wins. 7 of those 8 wins would be from the defense.

BrewCityBuck
08-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Agreed. At the QB position every team has put winning at stake to develop a QB at some point, it's the only position where it happens, it's only necessary at the QB position. A lot of fans here don't understand that. "Dur, you have to win now, this year, durrr, Rodgers is inexperienced, durrr." Ugh.

hawkeye
08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Agreed. At the QB position every team has put winning at stake to develop a QB at some point, it's the only position where it happens, it's only necessary at the QB position. A lot of fans here don't understand that. "Dur, you have to win now, this year, durrr, Rodgers is inexperienced, durrr." Ugh.

Agreeing with a Viking fan now. You show your lack of knowledge with each and every post. Rodgers was a dumb pick, just like Harrell - both haven't and won't see the field in a meaningful game.

Keep hanging your hat on the Dallas game. I was at the game and Rodgers looked pretty good against a defense playing on their heels and having NOT prepared for him. The poor bastard is in a horrible situation because of the way this thing has unfolded - both the fault of TT and Favre.

Let's stop this ridiculous arguing back and forth. Let's put some cash on this. You pick the wager - I'll say that we don't win more than 9 games this year with Rodgers as the starter. Or I'll say that should Rodgers actually begin the season as the starter, he won't start more than 8 games before being hurt or he'll be sat down because he sucks. Pick one or both of them for a hundo each, otherwise shut your piehole.

Brooke
08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
hmmm if Rodgers is the starter this year, let's see how he fairs this time against the Cowboys. They prepared for Favre last year, NOT Rodgers this time they would prepare for him it would be very different

I have seen the schedule and they play some good teams with very good defenses, they will prepare for him differently than they would Favre

BrewCityBuck
08-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Keep hanging your hat on the Dallas game. I was at the game and Rodgers looked pretty good against a defense playing on their heels and having NOT prepared for him. .

I'm not hanging my hate on the Dallas game. All i'm saying is, you have people flipping out over his Family Night performance, which doesn't even matter, but the one time we've needed him he came and did well. I said in my damn topic post that I didn't think the Dallas game meant he would be great, it was just a nice little performance in a pressure sitaution, nothing more.

How would the Cowboys have prepared for Aaron Rodgers even if he was the starter for the game. They wouldn't have much to go on. They most likely would have blized the young guy into the ground like they were doing to Favre anyway, what do you think?

lavell12
08-04-2008, 02:36 PM
What is the harm in Favre playing this year?

Brooke
08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
^^ there shouldn't be any especially if the Packers want a real chance to make another run at the Super Bowl

BrewCityBuck
08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
What is the harm in Favre playing this year?

The Packers organization wants to move in a new direction, I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

wissportsfan
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Thats kind of interesting because I heard from someone today that was in GB yesterday that Rodgers did not look very good in practice yesterday. That could've been just one day though too.

twelvePack
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Well Rodgers was having a fantastic camp hahahaaaa, until Favre decided to show up.

wissportsfan
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah you gotta think that Rodgers is really pissed off now. Hopefully he doesn't say anything to the media that he'll probably regret later.

twelvePack
08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah you gotta think that Rodgers is really pissed off now. Hopefully he doesn't say anything to the media that he'll probably regret later.

He handled the media well yesterday, but you can tell he is not very happy. I hope nobody says anything stupid, and this whole thing dies down a little bit.

billybill77
08-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I honestly don't think we are throwing our future away whatsoever. Aaron Rodgers can either sit through another year on the bench at be our starter whenever Brett decides to retire or we can just start Brohm when Favre is done for good. I like both of these young guys and think they will be very good. Personally, i think Brohm is more talented and has more upside

I really am worried that Rodgers may not resign a long term if Favre does become the starter. Brohm is a system qb that had inflated #'s while at Louisville. Also, he has been prone to injury (torn acl and surgery on his non throwing shoulder) He isn't nearly as mobile as Rodgers either and doesn't have nearly the arm (which obviously is a big deal in Lambeau). Now he may be a good system qb for us because he makes good reads and can make accurate short passes, but personally I don't think that this is a guy who you can give the ball to and say go win it. He is very capable but there really is nothing special about him.

Jambox5000
08-04-2008, 06:40 PM

I am in no way trying to start an argument, I also noted that you said "personally" ,but why do you (and many other's I've heard on the subject) think Brohm is more talented? I don't know their combine scores pre draft in their prospective years, but Rodger's had a better final year in college than he did(statistically), plus he's more athletic from what I've seen ( I know Brohm is bigger than Rodgers so that could be considered an advantage) But anyway...not starting anything, just wondering why people think Brohm is a better future QB than Rodgers? For the record I'm glad Favre is back in camp and I hope he get's his job back...I can think of a million things worse than having Brett Favre come back to QB your team.

Jambox5000
08-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I didn't get to the end of the thread before posting obviously, I see someone already started the discussion on this...

hughest4
08-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I really am worried that Rodgers may not resign a long term if Favre does become the starter. Brohm is a system qb that had inflated #'s while at Louisville. Also, he has been prone to injury (torn acl and surgery on his non throwing shoulder) He isn't nearly as mobile as Rodgers either and doesn't have nearly the arm (which obviously is a big deal in Lambeau). Now he may be a good system qb for us because he makes good reads and can make accurate short passes, but personally I don't think that this is a guy who you can give the ball to and say go win it. He is very capable but there really is nothing special about him.

Yes, Brohm did have some injuries in college but he still only missed 3 games in 3 years as a starter. If we are looking for a mobile guy who can run then i wouldn't choose him over Rodgers. Personally i like a guy who is smart with the ability to read defenses and make all of the throws. He might not have the best arm but he is accurate and has enough arm strength to make any kind of pass. With the receivers we have now there is really no need to throw the deep ball. Our QB just needs to get them the ball and let them do the work. I don't think he will be a HOF QB either, but i do think he will be a good QB in this league.

I am in no way trying to start an argument, I also noted that you said "personally" ,but why do you (and many other's I've heard on the subject) think Brohm is more talented? I don't know their combine scores pre draft in their prospective years, but Rodger's had a better final year in college than he did(statistically), plus he's more athletic from what I've seen ( I know Brohm is bigger than Rodgers so that could be considered an advantage) But anyway...not starting anything, just wondering why people think Brohm is a better future QB than Rodgers? For the record I'm glad Favre is back in camp and I hope he get's his job back...I can think of a million things worse than having Brett Favre come back to QB your team.

See above