PDA

View Full Version : Boykins to Israel?

RocketsRule
08-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Earl Boykins, at 5'5" (1.65 meters), the shortest player in the National Basketball Association, may be headed to Maccabi Tel Aviv, Italian media reported yesterday.

Boykins, who played last season with the Charlotte Bobcats, was also recently in contact with Spain's TAU Ceramica, but talks broke down over salary issues.
Advertisement

The 32-year-old point guard played college ball at Eastern Michigan University, where he was one of the most accomplished scorers in the school's history, averaging 26.8 points his senior year, and its all-time leader in assists.

He was not drafted out of college, but played at eight different NBA teams, hitting a peak in the 2006-07 season with the Denver Nuggets and Milwaukee Bucks, averaging 15 points a game and 4.5 assists.

Last season, Boykins averaged 5.1 points and 2.7 assists in Charlotte, playing an average of 16 minutes a game.

Boykins' diminutive stature (he weighs 133 pounds) and scrappy play have made him something of a fan favorite.

While he is the shortest player currently in an NBA outfit, he is only the second shortest in the league's history. That honor goes to another fan favorite who played in Charlotte (though with a different team, the now New Orleans-based Hornets), 5'3" Muggsy Bogues.

From The Haaretz (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1007829.html)

Sixerlover
08-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't be suprised. Right now they are taking the 7th, 8th men on NBA teams. It's not going to hit home hard until next offseason when Shawn Marion or Mike Bibby goes over there.

cambovenzi
08-03-2008, 01:56 PM
he should go to china.
he'll fit right in! :rimshot:

jkjk.
would be interesting to see if he would become an elite scorer or player in Israel.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't be suprised. Right now they are taking the 7th, 8th men on NBA teams. It's not going to hit home hard until next offseason when Shawn Marion or Mike Bibby goes over there.

if one of those do go over the NBA has to acknowledge that this is a big potential problem. I guess David stern has no one to blame but himself for trying to make the game so global...

Scheck
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
he should go to china.
he'll fit right in! :rimshot:

jkjk.
would be interesting to see if he would become an elite scorer or player in Israel.

hahaha

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
There were ruors of him joining tau vitoria.

If a Marion playuer or Bibby player goes to europe then it will be time to Double up the salary cap.

Thats the real problem, not the golablitation of basket, but the anachronic salary cap rules.

They shoudl free it all upo lie in soccer.

No more draft, no more saalray cap, no more NOTHING, i want your player even if its under contract, ok he is worth 20 million dollars. here you have your 20 million bucks, bay bay mr player.

cambovenzi
08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
There were ruors of him joining tau vitoria.

If a Marion playuer or Bibby player goes to europe then it will be time to Double up the salary cap.

Thats the real problem, not the golablitation of basket, but the anachronic salary cap rules.

They shoudl free it all upo lie in soccer.

No more draft, no more saalray cap, no more NOTHING, i want your player even if its under contract, ok he is worth 20 million dollars. here you have your 20 million bucks, bay bay mr player.

that would be horrible for the sport IMO.
higher salaries, leading to higher ticket prices, leading to less people being able to come to games.

also it would eliminate any type of parity we have now.
which would alienate many smaller market team's fans.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
08-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Imagine what will happen in 2010. They will play a big part in free agency then.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
smaller market fans.....

uh do they exist?

As far as i know 90% of the people in this boards are either Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, SIxers, Pistons or Celtics Fans

then there are like a 1 percent of fans who are form teh fashion of the moment team liek Suns, Mavs, Spurs or Heat.

The rest of the teams have fans only in their own area.

so believe me people would love the big 6 or 7 teams to have Killer line ups.

Imagine the Davis, Bryant, Melo, Gasol BYnum Lakers face the Nash, Lebron,Marion, Jeffersson, MIng Knicks to decide who goes to teh final battle against the Rose, Wade, Beasley, Stoudamire,Howard Bullls!!!!!

beleive me that is MONEY in the pocket for tv and teams.

cambovenzi
08-03-2008, 03:52 PM
smaller market fans.....

uh do they exist?

As far as i know 90% of the people in this boards are either Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, SIxers, Pistons or Celtics Fans

then there are like a 1 percent of fans who are form teh fashion of the moment team liek Suns, Mavs, Spurs or Heat.

Imagine the Davis, Bryant, Melo, Gasol BYnum Lakers face the Nash, Lebron,Marion, Jeffersson, MIng Knicks to decide who goes to teh final battle against the Rose, Wade, Beasley, Stoudamire,Howard Bullls!!!!!

no its garbage for all the teams who arent stacked.
TV ratings down the drain for the vast majority of horrible teams.
the fans would lose interest in their own teams, outside of the few teams who win it all every year.

parity creates interest in all teams, they have a chance to win.
or atleast a chance to get better.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Can anyone explain me then how Soccer works?

And how soccer makes MANY MANY MANY more millions of dollars aroudn the world and is more popular?

da wood
08-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Can anyone explain me then how Soccer works?

And how soccer makes MANY MANY MANY more millions of dollars aroudn the world and is more popular?

he does have a point and danm bibby or shawn lets say a kobe the best player in the nba) opts out next year and goes to europe (wheres he's understood better anyway) then you don't think the mass departure begins. man something needs to be done bad. and as you say there is no structure so that means if the players do go they can go to whom they want win make money who needs the nba. you would probly get your yearly nba vs euro championship where we get our *** kicked but thats what it looks like its coming too.

cambovenzi
08-03-2008, 04:12 PM
europe has signed ZERO superstars from the NBA.
some people forget that.
yes, it could happen. but i dont see it being a trend.
basketball isnt as big over there.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
europe has signed ZERO superstars from the NBA.
some people forget that.
yes, it could happen. but i dont see it being a trend.
basketball isnt as big over there.

Yet. the dollar isent as much anymore and lets face it a vast majority of players will play wherever they get paid more in this case Europe

*Superman*
08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh well, let him make some cash too.

Kyle N.
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
smaller market fans.....

uh do they exist?

Oh no, Mike Bibby might leave the NBA. Trade all your best players!!!

JAZZNC
08-03-2008, 04:54 PM
smaller market fans.....

uh do they exist?

I always think that there is no way you could make yourself look like any more of an idiot and then you go and do something like this and prove me wrong. That has to be one of the worst ideas in the history of basketball. You might as well just have about 6 teams and that's it. Wow, you really know it all don't ya:pity:

Kyle N.
08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
smaller market fans.....

uh do they exist?

David Stern press conference: Due to lack of small market fans on the ProSportsDaily forums we have decided to take all the best players in the league and put them on 6 teams and wipe out the rest of the NBA. This will give the league more money. Thank you for your time.