PDA

View Full Version : Manny wanted to stay (sniff, sniff)?

RedSoxtober
08-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Of all the Manny moments in Boston, the last ranks as one of the most confounding. Within an hour after Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein informed Manny Ramírez he had been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers Thursday, Ramírez's agent, Scott Boras, called the Sox back, according to a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations. If the Sox dropped the option years on his contract - which they had agreed to do if they traded him - Boras said Ramírez would not be a problem the rest of the season.

For the Sox, the source said, Ramírez's pledge of good behavior only served as a tacit admission that his disruptive conduct of the last couple of weeks had been calculated, and they had had good cause to suspect more was in the offing if they did not trade him. The Sox told him thanks but no thanks, what was done was done, and pack plenty of sunscreen.

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/02/ramxedrez_lobbied_to_stay/)

The Intimidator
08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I saw this article a little earlier...I'm not sure what to make of it haha :D

papipapsmanny
08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
o well thats what manny gets, he is the one who signed the deal with the options so manny shouldnt be mad at anyone else

captaintek33
08-03-2008, 12:18 AM
My six year old daughter knows better than to behave like that nitwit........

Good riddance......

Tragedy
08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Saw it earlier...

:laugh:

Guy is a ****ing clown. I've never seen someone put up such a fit. He acted as if the options we held weren't more money than god.

TDbank24
08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Haha wow, pack plenty of sun screen. Yea see ya Manny. Pack an Indians cap for the Hall of Fame too

TheKid
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
"Amid the inevitable he-said, she-said that results during the breakup between the Red Sox and a star player, agent Scott Boras denied a published report early yesterday that Manny Ramirez lobbied to return to the club up to an hour after Thursday’s trading deadline.

According to a published report, Boras called Red Sox officials about an hour after the 4 p.m. deadline and said Ramirez was having second thoughts about being traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The story suggested Ramirez promised to give the team an honest effort over the final two months of the season if the Sox backed out of the trade.

“Completely inaccurate,” Boras said by phone from his home on the West Coast yesterday. “I never called them back (after the trade).”

While Boras declined to address specifics, he did acknowledge the Red Sox and Ramirez discussed an array of solutions before the three-way deal that brought Jason Bay to Boston. One source confirmed the possible outcomes included Ramirez remaining with the club if the Sox formally declined to exercise the player’s $ 20 million option for 2009 following this season, an alternative organization decided against largely because it deemed the player untrustworthy.

According to Sox officials, the team ultimately decided to trade Ramirez because they could not count on him to give an honest effort during the final two months."

Source: Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_08_03_Boras_says_report_of_call_untrue/srvc=sox&position=6)

Or did he? :eyebrow:

cocossox
08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/02/ramxedrez_lobbied_to_stay/)lol way to go Manny! u JACK ***! thank u Theo for getting him outta here!...3 in a row & counting F U Manny!

Run Gardner Run
08-03-2008, 09:02 PM
He also asked Boras to see if there was any way he could ship him to NY, and Boras said there was no way Theo would do that.

celticfan
08-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I love Jason Bay.
A good [player

SoxRTattedOnMe
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
anyone like to compare Bays and manny numbers on their new teams????

Run Gardner Run
08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
anyone like to compare Bays and manny numbers on their new teams????

Manny: .615 8/13 2HR 5RBI

Bay: .364 4/11 1HR 3 RBI

KmB728
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
^ ^ ^ Ya but Bay also has had a triple, a double, 3 walks, a diving catch and a game winning run

hes also scored like 6 runs himself.....

Run Gardner Run
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
^ ^ ^ Ya but Bay also has had a triple, a double, 3 walks, a diving catch and a game winning run

hes also scored like 6 runs himself.....

Ill count the walks but a diving catch? Ok? Alot of people make diving catches. And it was a sliding catch, not diving. I never said Manny was doing better than Bay the kid asked for the stats. Bay has more walks, but Mannys OBP is still above Bay. But you cant base it off 3 games. No one knows how long Manny continues this tear.

kazzy4080
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
i think manny will be wicked good for the rest of this year and next and then after that i think u might see the return of the manny being manny shanningans

Run Gardner Run
08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
i think manny will be wicked good for the rest of this year and next and then after that i think u might see the return of the manny being manny shanningans

You think he lasts 2 and a half years without causing a ruckus?

sboyajian
08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm more inclined to believe Boras did make the call, but didn't expect it to make it to the papers. Once it did it made him and his client look stupid and they had to back off.

kazzy4080
08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
You think he lasts 2 and a half years without causing a ruckus?

one and a half

iggypop123
08-03-2008, 11:06 PM
thanks again for manny. he nearly had the cycle today

bagwell368
08-03-2008, 11:45 PM
He's like a high maintainence chick. It's all cool until it's not, and then it sucks, and right before u break up with her -- the promises of good behavior come out like Niagra Falls after a monsoon.

It's bull, and you've heard it before...

Don't turn back, its someone else's problem now.

gcoll
08-03-2008, 11:54 PM
He's like a high maintainence chick. It's all cool until it's not, and then it sucks, and right before u break up with her -- the promises of good behavior come out like Niagra Falls after a monsoon.

It's bull, and you've heard it before...

Don't turn back, its someone else's problem now.

That's actually a really good analogy.

thanks again for manny. he nearly had the cycle today

We had nothing to do with it. It was pretty much all Manny, and the Red Sox front office.

Apparently, Manny's antics...rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. And it landed him in Los Angeles.

About this article though...this really bothered me.

If the Sox dropped the option years on his contract - which they had agreed to do if they traded him - Boras said Ramírez would not be a problem the rest of the season.

I've been a Manny defender for a long time. But this is ridiculous. You don't get to do that, if you've signed a contract. "I swear I'll behave....if you give me what I want".....wtf is that?

The guy was gonna kick and scream until he and his agent, got what he wanted...and the Sox let him hit free agency. Well...if that was the case, I'm glad we got Jason Bay out of the deal, instead of a few draft picks.

Tragedy
08-04-2008, 12:09 AM
The guy was gonna kick and scream until he and his agent, got what he wanted...and the Sox let him hit free agency. Well...if that was the case, I'm glad we got Jason Bay out of the deal, instead of a few draft picks.
It's this reason alone that I couldn't care less about Ramirez on a new team. He kicked and screamed, and then made these comments. He basically tried blackmailing the team that pampered him for 7 1/2 years into letting him hit the market. He's a freaking crybaby.

gcoll
08-04-2008, 12:25 AM
It's this reason alone that I couldn't care less about Ramirez on a new team. He kicked and screamed, and then made these comments. He basically tried blackmailing the team that pampered him for 7 1/2 years into letting him hit the market. He's a freaking crybaby.

Yeah. And if you're crying about getting 20 million dollars next year....come on.

Jason Bay is the left fielder for the Red Sox right now. Let Manny be Manny in LA.

The thing that kind of irks me though, is that at the end of the day....Manny is getting exactly what he wanted. He gave the front office enough of a head ache...and he got out of his contract.

Tragedy
08-04-2008, 12:46 AM
The thing that kind of irks me though, is that at the end of the day....Manny is getting exactly what he wanted. He gave the front office enough of a head ache...and he got out of his contract.
Yeah, that's pretty frustrating. I hate seeing millionaires complain like that and get what they want. I wish something could of happened. Obviously there is nothing really that can be done, but to see him not get the money he thinks he's getting would be so, so awesome.

gcoll
08-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Yeah, that's pretty frustrating. I hate seeing millionaires complain like that and get what they want. I wish something could of happened. Obviously there is nothing really that can be done, but to see him not get the money he thinks he's getting would be so, so awesome.

Ideally, he'd get less than 20 mill next year.

He wants 4 years / 100 million, right?

BigDaddyKaine
08-04-2008, 03:59 AM
I know all red sox fans say they hate manny now but i just wanted to say if it wasn't for manny the redsox would have still not won a world series in 05 or last year IMO...

chomaru
08-04-2008, 04:45 AM
I know all red sox fans say they hate manny now but i just wanted to say if it wasn't for manny the redsox would have still not won a world series in 05 or last year IMO...

nobody is saying they hate Manny bc he was a bum while he was here, they are upset how he was a baby and forced his way out of town....when all the cards are down Im pretty sure everyone would have loved to have Manny stay and do his thing but that wasnt going to happen.

This isnt a case of a guy leaving like say a Ray Bourque, most ppl still cheered him on another team and were happy he got a championship.

LAFord
08-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Boris is the Devil.
He brings out the worst in players and stirs the pot so he'll get the best spoonful. He's as deceitful as the most underhanded used car salesman.
He did it with J.D.Drew, and again with ManRam.
I'm actually grateful (as a Dodgerfan) he did it in both cases. Manny is exactly what my team needed offensively, and J.D.Drew was IMO, just a huge dissapointment in L.A.

The man(Boris) is driven by money and he manipulates these athletes to do things that are not only wrong, they are dishonerable, and distructive to both baseball and to the individual player's legacys.

I feel for any and all of you BoSox fans that were saddened about this whole Manny deal. I know, to some extent what it's like to lose a great player and even your favorite to greed. Mike Piazza came to mind for me. Hell, I even named my damned cat after him. The irony is, the cat ran away from home soon after Piazza was traded...lol.

Rest assured though Sox fans, from where I sit, your team will be a contender for a very long time. And being a longtime NL fan, I can tell you, Jason Bay is a badazz player! He's not Manny, but he's better in many ways...and a hellofa lot more future in him!

Snipeshow
08-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Meh...good riddance, Manny. You won't be hitting .625 forever...

lil'papi
08-04-2008, 08:01 AM

2005? HUH, I missed that one!

lil'papi
08-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Boris is the Devil.
He brings out the worst in players and stirs the pot so he'll get the best spoonful. He's as deceitful as the most underhanded used car salesman.
He did it with J.D.Drew, and again with ManRam.
I'm actually grateful (as a Dodgerfan) he did it in both cases. Manny is exactly what my team needed offensively, and J.D.Drew was IMO, just a huge dissapointment in L.A.

The man(Boris) is driven by money and he manipulates these athletes to do things that are not only wrong, they are dishonerable, and distructive to both baseball and to the individual player's legacys.

I feel for any and all of you BoSox fans that were saddened about this whole Manny deal. I know, to some extent what it's like to lose a great player and even your favorite to greed. Mike Piazza came to mind for me. Hell, I even named my damned cat after him. The irony is, the cat ran away from home soon after Piazza was traded...lol.

Rest assured though Sox fans, from where I sit, your team will be a contender for a very long time. And being a longtime NL fan, I can tell you, Jason Bay is a badazz player! He's not Manny, but he's better in many ways...and a hellofa lot more future in him!

Borass has to feed his staff. His staff iirc is over 70 strong... So he lies, cheats, deceives, ruins, ligates every situation to gain clients and money to pay his staff.

Simple.:D

Tragedy
08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
2005? HUH, I missed that one!
:laugh: