PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Watch

Sportfan
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
if there is a player on the red sox that is put on waivers or you think w3e should put on waivers name it right here. also if there is someone you think we should go after on waivers you could tell here.

Sportfan
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
oh and pretend you can't put julio lugo on waivers cause everyone was going to pick him

WilymoPena
08-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Does Joe Borowski count?? I heard we offered him a contract.

WilymoPena
08-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Ive been training with him in between beers at my local watering hole and let me tell you those 56 mph fastballs are really gonna surprise some hitters.

RedSoxtober
08-02-2008, 09:32 PM
if there is a player on the red sox that is put on waivers or you think w3e should put on waivers name it right here. also if there is someone you think we should go after on waivers you could tell here.

Two problems with this:
1. The kinds of waivers used in August are completely confidential.

2. Almost every player gets put on waivers. It's a procedural thing. Basically they all get put on waivers and you hope to sneak a few guys through. The ones that skate by unclaimed can be traded to anyone. Those claimed can be traded to the claiming team with the worst record or pulled back.

Net result: you won't know who was really 'waived' until it's over and you probably won't care about the ones who get through.

The Intimidator
08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, teams try to pass a lot, if not all, of their players through waivers during the month of August, just in case. For example, the Astros tried to pass Roger Clemens through waivers back in 2004 or 2005, and the Sox claimed him. The Astros pulled him off after that.