PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant seeking a ridiculous $40 million contract

BrewCityBuck
08-02-2008, 02:35 PM
The agent for Ryan Grant has been aiming for a six-year, $40 million contract, a proposal the Green Bay Packers find far too rich for a running back with Grant's limited résumé.
It is unknown what the Packers have offered Grant over six years, but sources said Grant's proposal includes $8.5 million in the first two years compared with the Packers' offer of about $4.5 million.

During coach Mike McCarthy's first two seasons, the Packers had all of their veterans signed in time for the first day of camp, making for harmonious summers.

The Packers have been without Grant's services for a week now and there is no end in sight.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779147

This for all the people that are ripping Ted Thompson for not getting a deal done, considering how ridiculous this demand is, I don't blame Thompson, good freaking lord Grant and his agent are out there.

blujaysrock
08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
that's only roughly 6.6 M per season and he did have a good yar last year proving he can be a #1 guy

hughest4
08-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I guess i'll let this stay even though there is a Ryan Grant contract thread that we are discussing it in. 40 million does sound like a ton of money for a guy who only had 1 good year but he would have to play great to earn all 40 mil. If he plays to that level then i don't have an issue giving him the money. If he doesn't play well then he won't make as much. Makes sense to me

BrewCityBuck
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
that's only roughly 6.6 M per season and he did have a good yar last year proving he can be a #1 guy

I'm sorry but he was our #1 RB for 10 weeks, hardly enough to prove your durable or set to be the RB of the future. And he was playing with an offense last year where the passing game was lethal, things aren't as clear with a new QB taking the snaps.

wwfd1220
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
what are the terms of brandon jacksons contract ?? can anyone find that information out ?

BrewCityBuck
08-02-2008, 03:06 PM
what are the terms of brandon jacksons contract ?? can anyone find that information out ?

I believe his rookie contract was 4 years, $3 million w/incentives.

wwfd1220
08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
so 4 year 16 million sounds about right for grant

BrewCityBuck
08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
so 4 year 16 million sounds about right for grant

Sounds about right I guess. I guess I can't blame Grant and his agent for trying, he's 25 years old, this will most likely be his only big payday, but I don't think Thompson will give into this, it will likely be a lower figure because Grant can't afford to start missing game. It's not like other teams will give him this deal.

newdude
08-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Rotoworld says four-year, $2.805 million contract, it's not much cuz he's a second rounder.

Even though it's high, 6 yrs 40 mil, it really isn't insane and ur ripping him for doing it only for 10 games. Look at Darren McFadden, 6 years for 60 mil!! And he haven't taken a single snap. Like Hugh said, if he performs well this upcoming season, that contract is not that big of a deal, but he performs badly, he'll still get paid for what he did last season. " $8.5 million in the first two years" of the contract isn't that bad, if he performs he'll get more. The only problem is the escalators from the rushing yards, bcuz the difference between a few hundred yards is a few million dollars.

packertracker
08-02-2008, 04:00 PM
go read the ryan grant contract thread... someone gives a very good explanation of the proposed contract on there. its really not a ridiculous contract at all if you look at the terms.

Richinillinois
08-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Hell there offering Favre 20 million to stay home!

jenk2722
08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
This is ridiculous that he could even ask for that kind of money after 7 good games. And for him to expect this kind of money after 7 good games. Greedy bastards. I could see something like 6 years $25 mil. possibly, but even that seems excessive to me. This is just a guy trying to get something that he is not due, and I have lost a lot of respect for Grant now, and can see why Thompson low balled him. I would have too, if I was in Thompsons position and saw what Grant wanted.

jenk2722
08-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Rotoworld says four-year, $2.805 million contract, it's not much cuz he's a second rounder.

Even though it's high, 6 yrs 40 mil, it really isn't insane and ur ripping him for doing it only for 10 games. Look at Darren McFadden, 6 years for 60 mil!! And he haven't taken a single snap. Like Hugh said, if he performs well this upcoming season, that contract is not that big of a deal, but he performs badly, he'll still get paid for what he did last season. " $8.5 million in the first two years" of the contract isn't that bad, if he performs he'll get more. The only problem is the escalators from the rushing yards, bcuz the difference between a few hundred yards is a few million dollars.

Darren McFadden proved that he could do it year in and year out at Arkansas consistently putting up huge numbers. Grant didn't do that in college, and he couldn't do it in the NFL until he got to the Packers. I would really hesitate to give a guy a 6 year deal based on 10 games of work. It's just a bad idea in the NFL. That's how you get into salary cap trouble.

newdude
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Darren McFadden proved that he could do it year in and year out at Arkansas consistently putting up huge numbers. Grant didn't do that in college, and he couldn't do it in the NFL until he got to the Packers. I would really hesitate to give a guy a 6 year deal based on 10 games of work. It's just a bad idea in the NFL. That's how you get into salary cap trouble.

Did u really look into the numbers, they r not mind blowing. The majority is just performance based incentives, he's not guaranteed the whole $40 mil.

And back to McFadden, r u being serious comparing snaps taken in college to snaps taken in the NFL? Success in college means squat in the NFL, it don't always translate into the NFL. Seriously:rolleyes: Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to drafting college players.

hughest4
08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Looks like this whole ordeal has been resolved! Thread closed