PDA

View Full Version : NBA LIVE and NBA 2k9!

TMAC94
08-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentleman ( Mostly as guys..)

Anywho i was wondering if ya'll know when NBA Live And 2k9 come out? it might be different dates from USA too AUS but im thinking around the same.
yes i know 2k is better but i have the money too get them both :)

also is there any updates for 2k? ive seen about 4 vids for Live but only the one for KG tat goes for 36 seconds for 2k post links ? thaniks :)

Cavs_Fan24
08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
both come out Oct. 7
if you wanna see the reviews for both games (i personnaly think Live is better) here's the link to the site i use.

http://www.gamespot.com/newthisweek.html?date=20081005&type=new_this_week&sort=rdate&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

greek miami hea
08-02-2008, 10:27 AM
i prefer the 2k9

HOZ THE KNICK
08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
live got so much better than 2k this yr. it's not even close.

rico
08-02-2008, 11:50 AM
you guys are dreaming fi you think live is going to be better than 2k9, live comes out with lil things, but 2k always has the best gameplay.

2k9 features: http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=606

Gameplay Features

An advanced shot-stick feature was announced, allowing the user to change shots in mid-air. Gamers far and wide were hoping for this one because changing the shot or passing out of the shot in mid-air was sketchy at best -- not to mention this feature used to be in old NBA 2K games. With this feature back intact, the freedom to create has opened up, and now you may just be able to modify your shot and avoid swat city.

Adaptive AI will now allow the CPU to adjust to your tendencies and strategies. The general consensus on this is that most people want to see this in action before passing judgment.

The AI was also revamped to make the game more realistic. Adaptive AI will now allow the CPU to adjust to your tendencies and strategies. The general consensus on this is that most people want to see this in action before passing judgment. Will the AI adjust and shut down the lane on the pick-and-roll now? Will computer-controlled teammates run the floor harder and cut quicker to the basket if the game tempo is faster? Time will tell my friends.

Association 2.0 was almost taken for granted I believe. With no further in-depth information provided on the customizable options and player roles I think the jury is still out. It is always nice to hear that improvements have been made to an already great product, but the general public wants more.

Presentation Features

Clark Kellogg has now been added to the announcing team, which has been greeted by mixed fan reviews. Kellogg replaces Kenny Smith who has apparently moved on to Sony's NBA game. Cheryl Miller has also been added as a sideline reporter. Kellogg is known more for his work in the college hoop ranks, so the addition of his voice to the game piques my interest to say the least.

End-of-quarter highlights displaying the quarter’s best plays have been added as well. This feature adds more of a TV-presentation style to the fold, similar to what you would see during an ESPN or TNT broadcast. The championship celebration is said to be better as well. Do we get cut-scenes of the guys standing on the podium accepting the trophy from the commissioner? How about the presentation of the MVP trophy? And is Cheryl Miller going to have cut-scenes showing her interviewing the top performer of the half?

Online Features

Here is where things get a little hairy. As most of you already know, NBA Live 09 announced that it will have a featured called “365” that will update player tendencies and ratings daily based on current performance. There will also be player-specific DNA that takes into account the different styles of NBA players and that will be reflected in the 365 updates as well.

The community is starting to wonder if the NBA 2K9 development team copied the idea from the NBA Live folks or if it was the other way around.

Now we get a chance to look at the features list for NBA 2K9 and we see that it too has a feature with player-specific DNA. The community is starting to wonder if the NBA 2K9 development team copied the idea from the NBA Live folks or if it was the other way around. Some skeptics think that EA Sports decided to capitalize on the well-known fact that 2K Sports does not release many early details about the upcoming NBA 2K game. So by holding an event and press conference before 2K Sports at E3, NBA Live 09 could announce the feature first and make it appear that NBA 2K9 is copying the idea.

The common theme seems to be that the die-hard NBA 2K fans know the series is light-years ahead of NBA Live so the thinking is that Live is piggy backing off of NBA 2K. The sentiment is that NBA 2K is always the best basketball game on the market so naturally the player-specific DNA was 2K Sports’ idea in the beginning. Some are optimistic and truly feel that NBA 2K9 development team listened to the cries and provided a way to update things daily. In actuality we may never know who came up with the concept first. The only thing that's clear is that NBA Live's DNA feature has a real-life license that feeds the game the real NBA data, whereas 2K's feature probably works via its own engine and doesn't take into account real-life happenings.

There are still users sounding off about what changes they hope to see in the upcoming game. The banter back and forth becomes mundane because 2K Sports has usually done a good job at making the NBA 2K series a thing of beauty. You will always see users complaining about the accuracy of the passes through the lane to cutters or the effectiveness of the pick-and-roll, but for the most part there really isn’t anything gameplay-related that should make you raise a stink.

I too hoped for NBA Live to overthrow the ruler but I have now come to my senses.

The humorous thing about the previous lack of information is found when perusing the message boards at Operation Sports and the forums over at the 2K Sports site. There are always people claiming to love the previous installment of NBA 2K, but those same people are always saying that they heard NBA Live was working to close the gap. I have to laugh when I read those posts because they are reminiscent of my glory days long ago. I too hoped for NBA Live to overthrow the ruler (if you don’t believe me then check my open letter to 2K Sports) but I have now come to my senses.

Everyone has heard the saying that there are no sure things. Most people believe that there are no absolutes in life; and those of us that do, know that when the dust settles and the smoke clears NBA 2K9 will absolutely be the last one standing. I know that regardless of the amount of information that is presented beforehand, there is no need to lose patience and start resigning yourself to only purchasing NBA Live when the season rolls around. I know which game reigns supreme, so stand firm and know that 2K Sports will not let everyone down.

boston08champs
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
2k all day

ejdacanay
08-02-2008, 12:34 PM
2k hands down. If you want more fun they usually say go for Live, but realism is where 2K triumphs.

kobe2008mvp
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
nba live baby...

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 12:44 PM
2k has had the upper hand in basketball video games since NBA Live 05 fell off.

But I will say this, I've seen gameplay footage from E3 about NBA Live 09. Looks promising and the crossovers are beautiful. The games fluidity looks realistic.

Anyone else thought that Live 07/08 on PS3/Xbox 360 had a "glitchy" look to it? Especially when the ball goes through the net. The net like locks up for a second then it proves its realistic physics when the ball falls down.

They changed that, when the ball goes in it actually looks like a ball going through a net. I'm in love with that new pick & roll feature. That's going to be great for teams like the Suns and Hornets!

bball1217
08-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I like 2K because it is a lot more realistic.

stevefrancis
08-02-2008, 12:50 PM
its been 2k since 07 since live 06 was the best and they messed it up but if you got playstation do not get 2k cuz the graphics suck i have both games so there's no biasism =]

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
its been 2k since 07 since live 06 was the best and they messed it up but if you got playstation do not get 2k cuz the graphics suck i have both games so there's no biasism =]

The graphics may suck, but the gameplay is outrageously FUN!

It has that arcade feel to it, along with it's few realistic features as well.

I love the shot blocking on the older consoles. It's perfect. You hold Triangle or Y to jump, let go of the button to swat. I wish the XBOX360/PS3 had it like that. I'm tired of jumping out of bounds or doing panzy fly swats.

I averaged 11 blocks a game with Marcus Camby :D Most coming from the weak side

theuuord
08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
lol @ choosing 2K9 before either game has even come out yet.

rico
08-02-2008, 08:29 PM
lol @ choosing 2K9 before either game has even come out yet.

nothing to LOL about. kinda common sense really. unless they change their engine to be like 2k's gameplay ot will be < 2k9.

the only thing that it boated about was the dna thing, but since 2k doesnt boast / give out information all early they couldve stole the idea from 2k. only thing they DO have for sure is the license/live updating which will be maybe more frequent than 2k's updating. since its 'real time' or whatever.

cmellofan15
08-02-2008, 09:13 PM
2k has had the upper hand in basketball video games since NBA Live 05 fell off.

But I will say this, I've seen gameplay footage from E3 about NBA Live 09. Looks promising and the crossovers are beautiful. The games fluidity looks realistic.

Anyone else thought that Live 07/08 on PS3/Xbox 360 had a "glitchy" look to it? Especially when the ball goes through the net. The net like locks up for a second then it proves its realistic physics when the ball falls down.

They changed that, when the ball goes in it actually looks like a ball going through a net. I'm in love with that new pick & roll feature. That's going to be great for teams like the Suns and Hornets!

Those crossovers are probably hard b/c you have to move "freestyle" stick in every direction. 2k is going to be the best unless everything they've accomplishe since 2k5 is destroyed. The biggest difference is going to be the overall gameplay and the online features.

jabberwocky76
08-02-2008, 09:46 PM
the new features will make this nba live '09 the best basketball game of all time.

New features like Pick and Roll Control, Defensive Lockdown Control, Signature Playcalling and Quickstrike Ankle-Breakers will make the LIVE experience fun, long-lasting and satisfying. For those in need of some extra coaching, NBA LIVE 09 takes you to training camp with the NBA Academy that gives you a chance to hone your skills.NBA Academy
Get the most out of your game and hone your skills when you jump into game with an all-new practice facility.

Quickstrike AnkleBreakers
Force your defender to step up and guess what you'll do next. Trigger the turbo button and use the right analog stick for bold, responsive ball-handling moves to fake out your defender and create scoring opportunities.

Pick and Roll Control
This new two-man game mechanic lets you control both the ball handler and the screener, as you set screens and run two man plays, with on court instructions popping up to guide you through each play.

Signature Playcalling
Introducing an accessible in game playcalling system that pushes on-court visualization to guide you through the play. This feature will suggest authentic plays for NBA's stars to run on the court.

Lockdown Control
A new risk reward system to lock in your check on defense. Get in tight on a strong shooting guard to take away his shot, or play back to keep a quick point guard from blowing by you.

FIBA Expanded
With 24 national teams to choose from, you can compete in an international tournament using authentic FIBA rosters and teams, including, the United States, Spain, France, and more

5 vs. 5 Online Team Play
All 10 players on the court can now be controlled by users on 10 different consoles around the world. Now the game outcome can be completely dependent on how you play as an online team.
Online Custom Leagues
Create your own online league, with all-new drafting, trades and a single elimination playoff format.
Be A Pro
Feel what it's like to be a part of a team and lock in as one player - online using Online Team Play, or offline in single player mode. Let NBA LIVE give you feedback and track how well you are playing your position.

Extend your Game with EA SPORTS World
Create your own highlight reel then upload the video to EA SPORTS World to prove your passion to the world.

these features are from www.easports.com/nbalive09/

cmellofan15
08-02-2008, 09:57 PM
the new features will make this nba live '09 the best basketball game of all time.

New features like Pick and Roll Control, Defensive Lockdown Control, Signature Playcalling and Quickstrike Ankle-Breakers will make the LIVE experience fun, long-lasting and satisfying. For those in need of some extra coaching, NBA LIVE 09 takes you to training camp with the NBA Academy that gives you a chance to hone your skills.NBA Academy
Get the most out of your game and hone your skills when you jump into game with an all-new practice facility.

Quickstrike AnkleBreakers
Force your defender to step up and guess what you'll do next. Trigger the turbo button and use the right analog stick for bold, responsive ball-handling moves to fake out your defender and create scoring opportunities.

Pick and Roll Control
This new two-man game mechanic lets you control both the ball handler and the screener, as you set screens and run two man plays, with on court instructions popping up to guide you through each play.

Signature Playcalling
Introducing an accessible in game playcalling system that pushes on-court visualization to guide you through the play. This feature will suggest authentic plays for NBA's stars to run on the court.

Lockdown Control
A new risk reward system to lock in your check on defense. Get in tight on a strong shooting guard to take away his shot, or play back to keep a quick point guard from blowing by you.

FIBA Expanded
With 24 national teams to choose from, you can compete in an international tournament using authentic FIBA rosters and teams, including, the United States, Spain, France, and more

5 vs. 5 Online Team Play
All 10 players on the court can now be controlled by users on 10 different consoles around the world. Now the game outcome can be completely dependent on how you play as an online team.
Online Custom Leagues
Create your own online league, with all-new drafting, trades and a single elimination playoff format.
Be A Pro
Feel what it's like to be a part of a team and lock in as one player - online using Online Team Play, or offline in single player mode. Let NBA LIVE give you feedback and track how well you are playing your position.

Extend your Game with EA SPORTS World
Create your own highlight reel then upload the video to EA SPORTS World to prove your passion to the world.

these features are from www.easports.com/nbalive09/

All of those things that are underlined are also on 2k9. And Live always messes up their new features (Superstars, Dunk Contest etc.) Don't get too hype about it they haven't been on top since Live '04. This won't cjange much.

POZUNO
08-02-2008, 09:59 PM
2K all day.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-02-2008, 10:15 PM
as long as i get one of em im good :D

JIDsanity
08-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I gotta go wit 2K

POZUNO
08-02-2008, 10:28 PM
5 vs. 5 Online Team Play
Online Custom Leagues
Be A Pro

So what if you wanted to play PG and someone else decided to be a PG? If fatigue is involve in the online game play, wouldn't you need a bench player who can play the same position?