PDA

View Full Version : Jazz off topic thread

jimbobjarree
08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
hey whats happenin?

I'm Mark, I'm 17 and live in England and I'm a huge Jazz fan, watching almost all the Jazz's games last year on league pass, keeping me up until all hours, especialy the playoffs which I HAD to see. I plan on coming over there one day to live as I think England is going severely down hill, I'd love to roadie across the States in a gap year from Uni beforehand, I think that would be awesome.

I'm also a huge Chelsea football fan (soccer as you guys call it), and I love cricket (if you know what that is I'm impressed)

I think we had an off topic thread last year, it was a sticky, but I dont think we have a forum mod, or if we do he doesn't bother with us (giving this forum no rules woooo!!!) so I thought I'd make it and get to know y'all as we Jazz fans are small in number on this site, theres nothing better than a bit of team bonding!

JAZZNC
08-02-2008, 12:39 AM
My name's Wes, I'm 26 and I live in Wilmington, NC. I grew up in a little town called Welcome, NC. I'm the only non-Mormon Jazz fan I've ever I know of here (kinda makes it difficult being a fan at times:mad:). I watch every Jazz game that's nationally televised. If I had league pass I'd loose my job:D

I'm gonna try my best to get to the Bobcats/Jazz game this year so I can finally say I saw them in person.

As you can tell from my avatar I love catfishing/bass fishing, I'm the president of Town Creek Bassmasters. Fishing is the best thing on the planet in my opinion and I'm still striving to become a guide.

Gettin' married in two months:smoking: Should be interesting!

Well, I'm looking forward to another season and yet another chance at a ring! Everybody keep the faith. If you get to the playoffs you got a chance!

GO JAZZ!!

jimbobjarree
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
is being mormon in Utah such a big deal then, they always mention it on tv and stuff, but I dont really understand it all.

and good luck with the wedding!

ThaBoomer
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Just wondering how you two came to be Jazz fans growing up outside of Utah?

JAZZNC
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
You're gonna love this, I became a Jazz fan b/c they were good in NBA Jam when I was younger. I started watching their games when they came on TV and the rest is history.

Lo Porto
08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Great story JazzNC. I remember playing with the Jazz in NBA Jam. Classic game - played with Stock/Malone or Dominique/Augmon. Boomshakalaka...

As for me, the name is Kyle, but everybody calls me Lo Porto. I'm 30 and I was born, raised and live in Alabama. I've been a Jazz fan for as long as I can remember. Growing up, it was the Jazz and MJ. When MJ retired, dissed Pippen, came back, and then demanded $30+ million a year which ruined NBA salaries forever, I've despised MJ. That's a whole other story...

I started liking the Jazz because I was tiny until I was a senior in high school. I loved Stockton being the smallest guy but best leader. Growing up in coastal Alabama, you find a team you like for whatever reason and stick with them. Grew up playing soccer so I loved the team philosophy Utah has always had. It's even more refreshing in today's environment.

Other than the Jazz, it's The University of Alabama football (love the Jazz but Bama is #1 for me), Philadelphia Eagles (cause Cunningham), New York Yankees (cause Donnie Baseball), Italia futbol (Azzurri) and Inter Milan. Married with a kid and I work in Student Affairs at colleges/universities. Play any sport I can get my hands on, but almost too competitive sometimes.

Not a Chelsea fan jimbob, but I felt for Terry big time buddy. Hated seeing that...

chipurmunki
08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
lo porto......wow, alabama huh?:clap: i moved there when i started high school 10 years ago. what part do u live in?

anyways, i was born and raised in utah, w/ my dad joining the army very young so i have lived elsewhere. we settled (for a time) in utah as that's where my extended family lives. i've been watching the jazz for as long as i can remember. i am a huge braves fan as well, i think because of tbs. in football i like the raiders and the eagles, i think i always liked them cuz their uniforms were awesome. now i am going to school in idaho, working on my art history degree. next year i plan to start my masters at u of alabama. hmmmm, single and 25...... so if y'all know any hotties in idaho and/or alabama, jk. :rolleyes: it's good to know who's posting on here and it's very nice to meet y'all.

aaronseyeview
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Aaron here. I grew up in SLC and have loved the Jazz as long as I can remember. I have always loved tough grittiness that Sloan brings to the team. I also love the team first philosophy. I take a lot of pride in how the Jazz play basketball. I now live in Seattle and have league pass. I never miss a game. When I went to college in California, and could not get the league pass, I would hit refresh on my computer screen about every 5 seconds during the game. I love the Jazz!

As for the mormon question, I really never felt that it was that big of a deal growing up in Utah. I, myslef, am not mormon and grew up right in the thick of it. Mormons are very kind people. They just have a slightly different set of ideals is all :-) The one thing I think they lack is a bit of tolerance towards those who are different. I think they are getting better though. Anyways, they make great Jazz fans, and lets face it Jazz pride is blind to religion.

This is our year!!!!! Dwill looks sik for team USA.

Lo Porto
08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm in Birmingham now, but grew up in Fairhope.

Gotta love the Mormons. I worked at a dude ranch in Jackson, Wyoming with a couple. One of them was one of the hottest women I've ever seen, but my Catholic roots barred access. Her and her friends were so amazed I was a Jazz fan, but they couldn't have cared less. Oh well, later that year I got to see the opening night game in 2001 in the Delta Center when Stockton hit a buzzer beater to send it to overtime.

Amazingly enough, my buddy and sat and watched while some no-name Bucks player stayed on the court 10 minutes after everyone else with 3 coaches working on his shot during pregame. That player...Michael Redd.

Enderson
08-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey everyone,

The name is Bryson and I am one of those aforementioned Mormons :speechless:

I was born in Utah and lived here all my life except for two years when I was in Oklahoma (the two years the Jazz were in the finals - figures) I have been a Jazz fan since I can remember; the only basketball fan in my family. I used to put a clock radio under my pillow when I was little to listen to Hot Rod and Booner call the games after my parents made me go to bed. I imagined playing as Stockton and Malone for hours a day on the hoop in my driveway, even in the middle of winter when I had to shovel the snow away. I used to have visions of Jerry or Larry H Miller driving by and seeing me and realizing how good I was and inviting me to join the team. Ahh, the delusions of youth!

I watch nearly every game and have enjoyed the transition to our new contending team. The thing that I love most about the Jazz is their commitment to winning. I have often wondered if I would trade all those good years of Stockton and Malone for just one championship. Honestly, I don’t think I would. Sure there have been lots of heartbreaks along the way, but there was always the hope and the excitement. It’s great to have that excitement and hope back again after just a few seasons of mediocrity!

ThaBoomer
08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm Curtis and I think it's awesome that you guys are Jazz fans outside of Utah. I was born in Utah, and have lived there most of my life with the exception of 3 years in Italy playing volleyball. When I was younger I used to wonder if there were any Jazz fans outside of the state because it seemed like everything about Utah was always trashed on national TV. You guys rock!

As for me, I am 27, married with one little girl, and just finished a rotation at the hospital. I have 2 years of school left before I can officially call myself a doctor, but I'll probably just use my first name because so many doctors are arrogant jerks.

I grew up living and dying with each Jazz victory and loss. I remember literally crying after we were eliminated by the Blazers in the Western Conference Finals in 1992 and my father trying to tell me that it was just a game but I told him he just didn't know what it was like to care so much! I have waited my whole life for a Jazz championship, and to see them be so close year after year, but never able to seal the deal was heartbreaking. I experienced this frustration with my other sports teams, the Red Sox and the Michigan Wolverines (for ncaa football), but the Jazz far outrank any other squad on my list of favorites and I think I would probably cry again if they were ever able to pull it off!

aaronseyeview
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I totally used to play bball in my driveway pretending to be both stockton and malone (in the same play no less)! I had the exact same dillusions of thinking Sloan or Phill Johnson would drive by and see what a great jump shot I had, and then promptly add me to the team! I too would not trade all the great seasons we've had for a championship. Jazz basketball is always fun to watch and that is reward in itself. A championship sure would be nice though :-)

джаз
08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Yo, I haven't been on here much lately, that's pretty much due to me being out fly fishing every chance I get, that's my true passion in life.

The Jazz are a close second though. My name is Scott, I have lived in Utah pretty much my entire life except for the 4 years I was in the Army. Spent a couple tours over in the "Stan", never did make it to Iraq, which was fine with me.

I had season tickets when D-Will and the gang went to the Western Conference Finals, wow is all I gotta say, what a year to have em. There aren't greater fans anywhere than in Utah. The Jazz will get a championship with D-Will and it's going to be great.

I can't wait for this season to start, I haven't been this excited for Jazz basketball in some time.

jimbobjarree
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Not a Chelsea fan jimbob, but I felt for Terry big time buddy. Hated seeing that...

to lose the biggest chelsea game of my life in that way was heartbreaking.

its great to see this thread pick up, i became a jazzfan at the start of the 06/07 season not knowing anything about them just to be competitive with my mate who supports denver. i somehow got league pass and ended that season watching every game at all hours,

Lo Porto
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Great stories fellas. Don't you love those delusions? I remember "tearing up" the local winter rec league in Wyoming thinking I was a damn good player worthy of knocking on Larry's door asking for a shot. Turns out I was playing a bunch of stoners and slackers known for populating ski towns during the winter.

jimbobjarree
08-09-2008, 10:04 PM
would anyone be interested in playing the elimination game again?

JAZZNC
08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
would anyone be interested in playing the elimination game again?

I would.

I would recommend that we eliminate a bunch of people on the team to start with just to make it a little more simple. It's pretty obvious that Collins or Fez or Almond or Tyrone Corbin is going to get it. Lets just start with no Coaches, just guys in the main rotation. It'll make it a little quicker.

jimbobjarree
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
okidoke, I'l use our whole roster and just make it 10 each instead of 20 like last year