PDA

View Full Version : Olympiakos Could Make Run At LeBron

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Olympiakos is considering a run at LeBron James when he becomes a free agent in 2010, according to a source close to Sports Illustrated's Ian Thomsen.

As a free agent in 2010, his new contract in the NBA would start at less than $20 million annually.

The owners of Olympiakos already lose millions annually on their player payroll. It may be worthwhile to them to lose $40 million or more in exchange for the grandeur of LeBron.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/08/01/lebron.greece/index.html

haircanada
08-01-2008, 05:16 PM
he will obviously pick NBA no question about it

North Yorker
08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
that would be HILARIOUS...

because it would never happen

bball1217
08-01-2008, 05:26 PM
That Will Never Happen

North Yorker
08-01-2008, 05:30 PM
lol, all the new Brooklyn Nets/Knick fans would commit suicide and officially give up on the NBA. The NBA draft would be moved to Olympiakos

*Superman*
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow, thats a lot of money. The funny thing is, before i clicked the thread, i was thinking they would throw 40mill at him. If i were him i would sign a 1 or 2 year deal and then come back to the NBA.lol 80mill, in two years.

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
imagine 40mil for say 4 years. with an opt clause after each year to come back to the nba. thats 160mil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Without Taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lakerboy
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
If they pay $40M/year, they may get him. No ****ing taxes!

I'm not sure how the Nike contract will complicate this one.

Sixerlover
08-01-2008, 05:44 PM
40 mil a year? He'll be in Europe if they offer him that kind of money. People that are saying it is a joke aren't thinking about the grand scheme of things.

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
in europe, they also give u a free house and car with your contract. i heard that somewhere

Reezy
08-01-2008, 05:55 PM
If they pay $40M/year, they may get him. No ****ing taxes!
I agree, that's a ton of money. I know I'd go for it, especially if it's a 1-2 year contract.

ARMIN12NBA
08-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Lebron said his goal was to become a billionaire. I guess this would help his cause.

JAZZNC
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
It would be a sad day if LeBron goes to Europe but it could happen. 40mill a year is an absolute **** load of money (that's slightly more than a dick ton which is what he'd be making in the NBA:D)

bogdanrom
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Lebron said his goal was to become a billionaire. I guess this would help his cause.

I was thinking the same thing. People that are saying that Lebron will never go to Europe are crazy. If another team wil give him 40 a year then he will go, especially if he has won a NBA Championship.

PhxGiant
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
WOW 40 million a year?

I'm assuming its EUROS so thats about 62 million American dollars a year!!

UNETOWNBAYAREA
08-01-2008, 06:34 PM
IMO who wouldnt go for 40 mil....
He can always come back.. crap.. hes still young anyways!

Noles3490
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
This will never happen. Your an idiot if you even think of this goin down. He is staying in the NBA. He wants a ring. Europe can keep their money

chicagowhitesox
08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Zero possibility of occuring.

ARMIN12NBA
08-01-2008, 06:54 PM
This will never happen. Your an idiot if you even think of this goin down. He is staying in the NBA. He wants a ring. Europe can keep their money

He does want a ring, but he has said repeatedly that his main goal is to become a billionaire. I'm sure he wants that ring, but it seems that money drives Lebron more than winning so if anybody offers him 40 million a year and he can still get those endorsements then I'm sure he will be gone. BTW the key is endorsements because it won't matter if he gets 40 million a year and loses his endorsements. Then he actually loses money. If he is able to get 40 million, but Nike still endorses him even while he is overseas then he is surely gone.

cmellofan15
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Josh Childress/LeBron could take over Europe together.

albertc86
08-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Lebron isn't leaving the NBA anytime soon. I could see him possibly leaving in the later stages of his career. He always said he wanted to be a billionaire athlete... playing in europe could certainly help him get to that point quicker.

SportsFan1988
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I can almost guarantee that he will NOT be playing in Europe...EVER.

mjt20mik
08-01-2008, 07:28 PM
He would be dumb to not take that deal. If he does play, he would most likely just take a 1 or 2 year deal.

MiamiHeat
08-01-2008, 07:33 PM
damn is he going to be the only one in the team
40mil per year? damn

pg- lebron
sg- lebron
sf - lebron
pf - lebron
c- lebron

bench
lebron
lebron

Reezy
08-01-2008, 07:44 PM
damn is he going to be the only one in the team
40mil per year? damn

pg- lebron
sg- lebron
sf - lebron
pf - lebron
c- lebron

bench
lebron
lebron

Olympiacos is owned by billionaires. There's no salary cap.

lakers4sho
08-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. People that are saying that Lebron will never go to Europe are crazy. If another team wil give him 40 a year then he will go, especially if he has won a NBA Championship.

Yeah, who wouldn't? I'm pretty sure he'd go for the money, especially if he doesn't win a championship until 2010.

MiamiHeat
08-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Olympiacos is owned by billionaires. There's no salary cap.

well wow i would love to be lebron james :D

Knowledge
08-01-2008, 07:51 PM
People say he would never do it, but he is still young enough to go to Europe and come back to NBA. i am not saying he will in 2010 but once he gets into his mid 30s, maybe early 30s, why not.

And if he did go to Europe in 2010 and signed a contract with player options, he could come back to the NBA once the team he wants to play for has cap space. Though the team he wants to play for will most likely have space in 2010 unless he opts to stay in Cleveland.

bogdanrom
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM

No you're stupid if you think this will never go down. He has repetively said that he wants to be a billionaire athlete. 40 million dollars a year will definitely help. I doubt he will go when he is in his prime. But after he has won a championship and is older maybe 29 or 30 he will defonitely go if that kind of money if offered.

SaimoNETS
08-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Then all the stars players will follow and there wud be no NBA

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-01-2008, 09:55 PM
The NBA would have to get rid of the salary cap if players of Lebrons caliber started to go over their. We cant compare with those numbers. Who is to say it stops there. D Wade will probably be looking to get 20 mil here. What if they offer him 27 mil over there. We have all see money is where these guys will go. Either our American dollar has to get stronger or we have to get rid of the salary cap.

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
the dollars not getting any stronger

SAVAGE CLAW
08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Funny

Look what i wrote in this post http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250742 some days ago.

Sixerlover
08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Not any time soon. We better start upping contracts. Because Jose Juan Berea, Josh Childress, and Carlos Delfino was just the beginning.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
SAVAGE CLAW
Recruit Join Date: Jul 2008

The REAL menace is yet to come out.

Everybody i read asumes that superstars wouldnt come over to europe. or would require 40 million Dollars ( Wade) to do so.

Ok im gonna tell you a fact:

Real Madrid and Barcelona FC . their Main Branch is Soccer, and 80% of their budget goes into soccer but they mantain other branches like handball, indoor soccer, hockey etc etc.

That Includes Basketball.

They usually spend in basketball "only" like 20 million euros because they see the game as "non profitable" and they just mantain the section for sheer arrogance.

Ok this years budget for Real Madrid is 400 millions EUROS and Barcelonas 350 Million Euros yes you got it thats 5 times the salary cap on the Nba.

OK now lets say they look at what olympiakos has done, lets say Childress comes and Olympiakos wins euroleague, Josh shines like a star, and the sales of his Shirt go skyrocket plus he is a comertial impact .

Ok now lets put yourselves in the minds of Real Madrids and Barcelonas president and think: " Well if a lousy reserve made that big an impact and earned that much money for Olympiakos....what could be the ABSOLUTE impact if i got Lebron James! that would be Millions in t-srhits and merchandising sold, and a coup that would put my teams fame into the stars, it would even work FINANCIALLY".

So after taking this in consideration he just adds 50 more millions to the Budget and makes it 450 millions, but this time they invest 100 millions instead of 20 into the basketball team.

Then they can just offer Lebron like 40 TAX FREE, (all house car and telephone expenses paid) Million Euros.

You have to add for his ego that he would be THE MAN , a mythic god in europe, a pioneer , the first step to build a new church, all would start and finish with him in euroleague, that situation has only had 1 name ever Jordan was = NBA so Lebron being = to WORLD BASKET, that is enticing isnt it?

And of course shoes companys wouldnt matter because they would only lose a little part of American market since a lot of people would still buy Lebrons madrid or Barcelona Shirt and they would gain ALL of the European Market.

So.... Dont be so confident on stars not traveling to Europe.

lalakobe24
08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
40 mil a year!! WTFFFF

Goon.Weezy
08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Dwayne Wade even said that if a team from Europe offered him 40 million a year..he might go............i mean WHO WOULDN'T

POZUNO
08-02-2008, 12:42 AM
he will obviously pick NBA no question about it

You never know homie. The way things are looking now in the NBA, "anything is POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!"

For real though. He could leave the NBA if the price is right. I would.

bogdanrom
08-02-2008, 01:31 AM
^ Exactly. It's kind of sad. The NBA should seriously think about no salary cap. or maybe raising it by a lot, like $400 million.

koreancabbage
08-02-2008, 01:55 AM
screw the american dollar, Euro is where its at. i would guarantee he would take the money and and have opt-out clauses in every year. the NBA is no place anymore to shine and glitter.

if you want world exposure, this is the way to go. $40million per, you'd be crazy not to take the money.
Nike would love if he took the money and went for a year- JERSEY SALES WOULD GO THROUGH THE ROOF- TO HAVE JAMES' name and number in a Olympiakos jersey>>>> i would definitely buy one.

you may see other big teams off the big money to stack up the teams in Europe. starting at $40million per year for each high profile player would take the game to the next level, almost on the same level as football (soccer). it would be good for the game, bad for the NBA. - raise those salary caps to twice the amount and you'll be good for now.

cmellofan15
08-02-2008, 02:21 AM
screw the american dollar, Euro is where its at. i would guarantee he would take the money and and have opt-out clauses in every year. the NBA is no place anymore to shine and glitter.

if you want world exposure, this is the way to go. $40million per, you'd be crazy not to take the money.
Nike would love if he took the money and went for a year- JERSEY SALES WOULD GO THROUGH THE ROOF- TO HAVE JAMES' name and number in a Olympiakos jersey>>>> i would definitely buy one.

you may see other big teams off the big money to stack up the teams in Europe. starting at $40million per year for each high profile player would take the game to the next level, almost on the same level as football (soccer). it would be good for the game, bad for the NBA. - raise those salary caps to twice the amount and you'll be good for now.

WOW now that the Greeks pulled in Childress people think that the NBA is going to move to Europe. C'mon guys we our one country who is better than a whole CONTINENT. The NBA is where its at if you really want to play ball.

Storch
08-02-2008, 02:56 AM
If i were lebron, id take it. He can retire after 4 years in that team.

McPeak92
08-02-2008, 03:05 AM
damn that is a helluva lot of money, cant blame him if he takes it. will miss him though.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-02-2008, 03:17 AM
i really hope this dosent be come a trend and the NBA loses star players

Hellcrooner
08-02-2008, 03:18 AM
maybe nba will have to finally eliminate the cap and prepare themselves to go like soccer.

You know? lots of teams play in the champions league, but you knwo from teh beggingin that barring an incredible surprise ( that happens every now and then anyway like porto some years ago) in the end it will be Madrid, barcelona, Milan, juventus, manchester or Bayern the one holding the trophy,

Well it works finantialy

im half sure that people all around the world would love to se Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, celtics and Sixers battlien every year to be the ONE.

and as said before every otehr day a mavs or spurs could win too..

Hellcrooner
08-02-2008, 03:19 AM
is baseball less popular for not having a cap? doe speople really tire of yankees wining?

I dont think so.

argo
08-02-2008, 03:49 AM
never say never... though i doubt it would be greece

Beckham - $250 million for 5 years to play in LA - * keep in mind this is at the tail end of his career

vince carter
08-02-2008, 04:08 AM
lebron is not goin to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he is going to broooklyn nets cuz of jay-z

LakeShowRaider
08-02-2008, 04:11 AM
time the F out...if they throw 40 million bucks at Lebron, you gotta think that he may just mess around and go...

Maybe he could do something where he only plays on days whne an nba game isnt scheduled! LOL

CaptainCool79
08-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Europe needs to back off our players. Just because they suck, and all of their players are cheap scrubs, doesnt mean they need to pony up and try and steal our players.

Sixerlover
08-02-2008, 04:23 AM
lebron is not goin to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he is going to broooklyn nets cuz of jay-z

:eyebrow:

not if another team is offering him double the money with no taxes. Their friendship isn't that close

Sixerlover
08-02-2008, 04:25 AM
Europe needs to back off our players. Just because they suck, and all of their players are cheap scrubs, doesnt mean they need to pony up and try and steal our players.

The NBA has been doing the same to Europe for years. Their players don't suck. I could list for days the amount of players we've simply overpaid to leave their European life and come over here to play ball.

Karma might just be one big *****

PhxGiant
08-02-2008, 04:30 AM
The NBA has been doing the same to Europe for years. Their players don't suck. I could list for days the amount of players we've simply overpaid to leave their European life and come over here to play ball.

Karma might just be one big *****

My thoughts exactly.

#1Mavericksfan
08-02-2008, 04:37 AM

:clap:

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 04:41 AM

not if another team is offering him double the money with no taxes. Their friendship isn't that close

I agree.

Money > Friendship/Family

ufd869
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
its business and people will take advantage of it.

bet stern never saw this coming.

do something now!

nascar10294
08-02-2008, 09:26 AM
If this does happen, it would make Europe basketball a tiny bit more popular, and the NBA would have to look into a sytem like soccer.

And CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

BTownTeamsRKing
08-02-2008, 09:48 AM
this is all Stern's fault.

u wanted to make the game global, well goo u did it. now u got billionaire owners in Europe ready to double the NBA salaries and the teams have no salary cap!!

phlp_bj
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
fire stern

BTownTeamsRKing
08-02-2008, 10:00 AM
fire stern

he is a totel idiot.

if they offer lebron 40 mil, hes going to take it. 40,000,000 a year!!! o man

Ragun
08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
i dont think he goes. he is already rich enough.

Cavs_Fan24
08-02-2008, 10:20 AM
WTH!! This is a bunch of :bs:!!!
You really think he's gonna leave the NBA to go to Europe?
I dont think it matters how much they're paying him, he won't leave.
I'd rather see him go to NY or Brooklyn then to see him go to Europe.

jg1573
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
you would have to be off your sack to not take 40 mill/yr no taxes to live like a "KING" in europe for two years

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 11:00 AM
He'd be one hell of a marketing tool in Europe.

_Sn1P3r_
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh man oh man. 40 mil a year.. I would hope he wouldn't take it but sometimes it's all about the money. I know he's already rich and everything but 40 mil more wouldn't hurt... Stay in the NBA LeBron!

Cavs_Fan24
08-02-2008, 01:09 PM
but seriously, he has no good reason to go to Europe
he has the option to go anywhere, and you think he'd pick Europe?
it dont really matter how much they pay him, cuz i can almost guarentee that any NBA team would try and come to whatever Europe is willing to pay him and they can not only to obtain LeBron, but to keep him in the NBA

i still dont get why he'd leave though
he's said it more then once, he wants to win an NBA Championship, and to do that you kinds have to, you know, be in the NBA!?!
no offence Europe, but 99.9% of people that are basketball lovers dream of playing in the NBA!!!, not in Europe

and i dont think LeBron is an exception

yaowowrocket11
08-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Works for me! No more LeBron!!!!!!

:D

That is an amazing amount of money, and I think he would take that, no question.

Sixerlover
08-02-2008, 01:53 PM
it dont really matter how much they pay him, cuz i can almost guarentee that any NBA team would try and come to whatever Europe is willing to pay him and they can not only to obtain LeBron, but to keep him in the NBA

he's said it more then once, he wants to win an NBA Championship, and to do that you kinds have to, you know, be in the NBA!?!
no offence Europe, but 99.9% of people that are basketball lovers dream of playing in the NBA!!!, not in Europe

No team could pay him half as much as they could.

argo
08-02-2008, 02:10 PM
money talks.

when there's that much of a difference in dollars, you're naive if you think he'll pass it up.

we've been taking the best players from europe for years, in hockey as well as bball. in baseball we take japan's best players. now they've got the money to compete for the best in the world. it's economics.

don't fool yourself, sport is a business.

Indi23
08-02-2008, 02:24 PM
WTH!! This is a bunch of :bs:!!!
You really think he's gonna leave the NBA to go to Europe?
I dont think it matters how much they're paying him, he won't leave.
I'd rather see him go to NY or Brooklyn then to see him go to Europe.

Well Money talks in this world bud(agreed with argo didn't read the comment b4 posting)..,, and 40 mill is hard to turn down.

Mr. 3 Stacks
08-02-2008, 02:33 PM
lol, thats a lot of money but in the end, probably wont happen...he would get bored postin up 80 a game....

phlp_bj
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM
how would anyone get bored posting 80 a game?

Sixerlover
08-02-2008, 02:43 PM
and making 40 mil a year.

Westbrook36
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Are you kidding me?

GunFactor187
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
He'll definitely look at it and consider it, but I think in the end he'll go with an NBA team.

saucy1
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
what a waste of time.contract money is chump chain 2 this guy .he could scratch his balls and get a 10 million dollar contract from tinactin

Westbrook36
08-02-2008, 03:07 PM
The only reason why I dont see him going is because he wants to be a Legend like MJ, He leaves the U.S and He loses all Respect and Gets Hated on

Sixerlover
08-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Why would you lose respect for him? Because he went where the money was?

Was he supposed to take less to stay in the U.S? Did we all lose respect for Josh Childress or did everyone say it was a good move

Westbrook36
08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Why would you lose respect for him? Because he went where the money was?

Was he supposed to take less to stay in the U.S? Did we all lose respect for Josh Childress or did everyone say it was a good move

Listen,

Lebron wants to be a Legend in the U.s Correct? Like Jordan. He leaves and Im SURE Alot of people Hate him and think he should of stayed.

It's not the Same with a Superstar who is suppose to be the next MJ

Sixerlover
08-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Listen,

Lebron wants to be a Legend in the U.s Correct? Like Jordan. He leaves and Im SURE Alot of people Hate him and think he should of stayed.

I can't hate on him for taking the money. He could play over there for 3 years, make 120 million untaxed dollars, then come back at 27 or whatever to continue. MJ played baseball, LeBron played basketball in Europe (if you want to use that analogy) :D

Neely
08-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Listen to this, LeBron told me the other day, after shooting some hoops, that he would consider taking a contract in Europe to play basketball as long as he had lots of player options that allowed him to leave when he wanted.

Giantwarrior
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
That would be awesome. if they offered him 40 mil and if that is in euros that about 60 million US dollars non taxable. his regular NBA contract would only be about 20 mil a year plus taxes so he will probably lose 40 percent. thats nothing compared to the billionaire owner of Olympiakos is offering. I would be hard to turn down David Beckham money. I hope he leaves the NBA for europe, david stern will poop in his pants.

njnets
08-02-2008, 03:58 PM
if childress wasn't signed none of this would be talked about.

argo
08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Listen,

it's funny that some people think these guys care more about "being a legend in the US" than making way more money elsewhere.

playing overseas would mean becoming a GLOBAL ambassador of the game - IMO a much higher honor, and more exposure and fame than playing in just the US.

the Euro is much stronger than the dollar, the tax structure is better overseas, the opportunity for branding one's name globally (something i'm sure is on the mind's of todays superstars) is greater... their agents aren't stupid - they've started to guide their clients into a global market. jersey sales, tv contracts, ticket sales, advertising/ commercials, etc - all have more to do with a contract between a team, agent, and player than most people realize.

Giantwarrior
08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I totally agree with you argo, i think people are just starting to understand how much money is out there. Kobe Bryant is sponsored by Nutella for years now!!
I think this would really be great for the game of basketball worldwide.

bogdanrom
08-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Karma is a b****, ain't it.

AgentViet
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM
LOL, watch him walk to Europe for 200M/4 or 5 Years.

bogdanrom
08-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Your forgetting one thing, the most important thing. Money. There will never be a thing that will change your mind quicker. The dream is to play in the NBA, but when a team is giving you $40 million a year you will take it. Okay lets say at work you make $100,000 a year. You always wanted to work there. But then another company offers you $200,000 for the same work, same time, same everything. Plus no taxes, a house, a car, and other things.

bogdanrom
08-03-2008, 12:25 AM
if childress wasn't signed none of this would be talked about.

It would have eventually happened. And technically Brandon Jennings kind of started.

liliverson819
08-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Maybe he can become the LeBron of Europe who knows

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 12:51 AM
it's funny that some people think these guys care more about "being a legend in the US" than making way more money elsewhere.

playing overseas would mean becoming a GLOBAL ambassador of the game - IMO a much higher honor, and more exposure and fame than playing in just the US.

the Euro is much stronger than the dollar, the tax structure is better overseas, the opportunity for branding one's name globally (something i'm sure is on the mind's of todays superstars) is greater... their agents aren't stupid - they've started to guide their clients into a global market. jersey sales, tv contracts, ticket sales, advertising/ commercials, etc - all have more to do with a contract between a team, agent, and player than most people realize.

Thats why Lebron will never be better then MJ, Because hes too worried about Money. No one ever will be better because they all are worried about being Global Players. It will hurt his Legacy because he will not have the Stats. 80 PPG Overseas Means ****. A Championship over Seas Means ****. He will not be a Legend if he goes overseas.

I dont care what the Dollar is doing, Because thats not my Problem yet. We will see alot of Changes, If Lebron leaves He will not be a Legend, Euro Is much Weaker then the U.S( Basketball ). He can Still be Global by playing in the NBA, All he has to do is Get up Call his Agent and Go Book a Plane to China Im shooting a New Commercial. I dont mind if he leaves One Year for 40 Million Dollars but I doubt it happens

lakers4sho
08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Thats why Lebron will never be better then MJ, Because hes too worried about Money. No one ever will be better because they all are worried about being Global Players. It will hurt his Legacy because he will not have the Stats. 80 PPG Overseas Means ****. A Championship over Seas Means ****. He will not be a Legend if he goes overseas.

I dont care what the Dollar is doing, Because thats not my Problem yet. We will see alot of Changes, If Lebron leaves He will not be a Legend, Euro Is much Weaker then the U.S( Basketball ). He can Still be Global by playing in the NBA, All he has to do is Get up Call his Agent and Go Book a Plane to China Im shooting a New Commercial. I dont mind if he leaves One Year for 40 Million Dollars but I doubt it happens

That all depends on his choice. Money, or legacy. That ultimately rests on his own decision. We can't do anything about it.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-03-2008, 02:26 AM
40 mill a year thats crazy.

chad311k9
08-03-2008, 03:16 AM
lebron will stay NBA because of his marketabilty desires. he wants the big market of the big apple.

argo
08-03-2008, 05:43 AM

MJ played in a different era, the two aren't comparable. who's to say MJ wouldn't have left for big money in Europe if he received an offer for $40m/year? he did leave the NBA for baseball.

and playing in Europe won't necessarily hurt anyone's legacy... it might actually do the opposite - make the guy a world-wide household name, someone synonymous with the international growth of the game, a pioneer of sorts. David Stern saw this coming a long time ago... hence the reasons he's been preaching the growth/ spread of the game globally for the past decade. the world is getting smaller.

innovator
08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
omg 40 million dollars per year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do it lebron!

Isiah Thomas
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Future nba stars Branden Jennings and Josh Childress will be overseas this year.. This is only the beginning. Several american players over the next couple years will follow this newfound trend. First off i could have sworn it was 40 euros which is over 60 million a year for bron.... he would make more money in endorcements overseas anyway, so for a smart business man(which he is) do you really think he is going to turn this down.. example:

David beckham prob hates America (dont know that as a fact)... but he is a pioneer .. he came here to make America more interested in soccer... he is getting 250 mill..

Offer bron bron 160 million Euros (roughley 250 million) from some european team for 4 years... peace out... he would only be 29 when the contract is done with.... he is 1/4 to his goal in 4 years without endorcements and tax free.... get ready for the next directtv,dishnet,comcast,io channel .... international sports in english staring nonother than starting my man LeBron James!!

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 01:53 PM
MJ played in a different era, the two aren't comparable. who's to say MJ wouldn't have left for big money in Europe if he received an offer for $40m/year? he did leave the NBA for baseball.

and playing in Europe won't necessarily hurt anyone's legacy... it might actually do the opposite - make the guy a world-wide household name, someone synonymous with the international growth of the game, a pioneer of sorts. David Stern saw this coming a long time ago... hence the reasons he's been preaching the growth/ spread of the game globally for the past decade. the world is getting smaller.

Europe WILL KILL Lebrons Legacy, What the **** is 80 PPG In a Euro League? Thats like 20 PPG in the Nba, A Championship in Euro is what? Nothing Means like your High School Basketball Championship Ring. Like I said all he has to do is Call up his Agent and Book a Plane to Go where ever he wants and Shoot alittle something and Bam everyone knows about him. You can Play Great Basketball Vs the Best or you can Play In Euro That means nothing and Make a Bunch of Money and You could still do that in the USA. All he has to do is Take a Plane to China, and Shoot alittle something and make millions.

Thats Completely not the Same at all, MJ Played another Sport because he wanted to See what he could do, Lebron always has said that he Still Loves the Game of Football(Played Tight End in Highschool) I dont mind if he leaves for One Year 40 Million but It will not help his Legacy

Diego_Le
08-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Europe WILL KILL Lebrons Legacy, What the **** is 80 PPG In a Euro League? Thats like 20 PPG in the Nba, A Championship in Euro is what? Nothing Means like your High School Basketball Championship Ring. Like I said all he has to do is Call up his Agent and Book a Plane to Go where ever he wants and Shoot alittle something and Bam everyone knows about him. You can Play Great Basketball Vs the Best or you can Play In Euro That means nothing and Make a Bunch of Money and You could still do that in the USA. All he has to do is Take a Plane to China, and Shoot alittle something and make millions.

Thats Completely not the Same at all, MJ Played another Sport because he wanted to See what he could do, Lebron always has said that he Still Loves the Game of Football(Played Tight End in Highschool) I dont mind if he leaves for One Year 40 Million but It will not help his Legacy

I don't know if he averages 80 PPG over sees he will become a legend and it's way more than averaging 20 PPG in the NBA cause they let more go there so you will get hit for those points.

Sixerlover
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Europe WILL KILL Lebrons Legacy, What the **** is 80 PPG In a Euro League? Thats like 20 PPG in the Nba, A Championship in Euro is what? Nothing Means like your High School Basketball Championship Ring.

Ok don't underrate the Euro leagues now. I'm sure Rashard Lewis or Andre Iguodala can't average 80 in the Euro league much less 40, but they did average 20 in the NBA.

And I'm pretty sure Kansas couldn't beat the top team in the top Euro league in a championship game and they were the best team in college basketball. So a high school ring isn't nearly as respectable.

canzano55
08-03-2008, 02:32 PM

and i dont think LeBron is an exceptionThen you're a dummy.

Like all capitalist systems, the American franchise system has it flaws. One of these flaws is guaranteeing that all NBA clubs make profit every year by enacting spending sanctions. The only thing that is protecting a teams player rights is a finite contract that is under the property of the NBA.

In Europe, sports teams are property of no one, infact most top sports clubs in Europe actually own their stadiums unlike in America where practically everything is an endorsement partnership. The European sporting infrastructure is the ultimate free enterprise system where everyone and everything is for sale. As a result the top clubs a really, really rich while the poor clubs are really, really poor.

As rich as the NBA is, it can't compare to private investors that have absolutely no limitations in spending.

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok don't underrate the Euro leagues now. I'm sure Rashard Lewis or Andre Iguodala can't average 80 in the Euro league much less 40, but they did average 20 in the NBA.

And I'm pretty sure Kansas couldn't beat the top team in the top Euro league in a championship game and they were the best team in college basketball. So a high school ring isn't nearly as respectable.

Im not saying a Highschool Team can beat a Euro Team Im saying a Ring won in the Euro League is like a Ring Won in Highschool Basketball.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
80 points per game? id like to see thath.

In fact

Can anyone please look at the scoring stats of Dirk, Pau, Manu, PEja,Calderon etc in their last year in europe?

Then compare them with their scprong stats in Nba.

And stop being so egocentric about nba.

Nba its NOWDAYS teh ebst league because iot has the best players, but its not the most difficult to win, and by no means the most exciting/intense league.

Half Nba players acostumed to people sitting and laughin at mascots jokes and watching time outs designed cfor cheerleders woudl star clrying like a little Baby in teh middle of a game Between Panathinaikos and Olympiakos, with drunken people Yelling and trhowing Car Keys to the pitch.

And you NEVER see in Nba the Rivalries , the utter hate between the teams and the desire to humilliate teh rival you see heere.

If stars start to come here, Bye bye nba, because euro game is much more EXCITING.

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
80 points per game? id like to see thath.

In fact

Can anyone please look at the scoring stats of Dirk, Pau, Manu, PEja,Calderon etc in their last year in europe?

Then compare them with their scprong stats in Nba.

And stop being so egocentric about nba.

Nba its NOWDAYS teh ebst league because iot has the best players, but its not the most difficult to win, and by no means the most exciting/intense league.

Half Nba players acostumed to people sitting and laughin at mascots jokes and watching time outs designed cfor cheerleders woudl star clrying like a little Baby in teh middle of a game Between Panathinaikos and Olympiakos, with drunken people Yelling and trhowing Car Keys to the pitch.

And you NEVER see in Nba the Rivalries , the utter hate between the teams and the desire to humilliate teh rival you see heere.

If stars start to come here, Bye bye nba, because euro game is much more EXCITING.

I cant even read what your trying to saying..NBA Is the Most Exciting and Intense League by Far.

Who is going to watch the Euro League in the U.S? I have never seen a Game EVER. How many Euro Leagues are their even?

GUOdugidfuifjinfj Si Si? Gibberish?

arlubas
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Who is going to watch the Euro League in the U.S? I have never seen a Game EVER. How many Euro Leagues are their even?

How would you have seen a Euroleague game when they don't even show them on american television and no one promotes this particular league on media to boost people's interest in it?

As for the threat topic, it's pretty laughable. This is just the american hype machine trying to create waves in the off season. I live in Greece and no one has even mentioned such a possibility in the greek media. And trust me, if there even was a hint of truth in this the press here would be all over it. On top of that Olympiakos would lose so many money from such a move that it wouldn't be worth it for their owners to do it.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey arlubas, arent you an Panathinaikois fan?

Hating a bit?=

Jajajajajajajajaajjajaja

Anyway i like Aek better.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I cant even read what your trying to saying..NBA Is the Most Exciting and Intense League by Far.

GUOdugidfuifjinfj Si Si? Gibberish?

I type fast and not in my mother tongue.

May you display your Spanish smarts?

Plus i grant you if anybody brought lebronitno europe, his game would be on TV in USa

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
I type fast and not in my mother tongue.

May you display your Spanish smarts?

Plus i grant you if anybody brought lebronitno europe, his game would be on TV in USa

Why would I have to Display my Spanish Smarts?

Hellcrooner
08-03-2008, 03:49 PM
You dont have any? then dont ***** about someone who can express in more than one language.

I dont have to be Shakespeare you know??

Adn i can talk portugues and some Deustche too...

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
You dont have any? then dont ***** about someone who can express in more than one language.

I dont have to be Shakespeare you know??

Adn i can talk portugues and some Deustche too...

What are you talking about?

greek miami hea
08-03-2008, 04:57 PM
if lebron comes here then the olympiakos should be renamed.it should be called lebroniakos.lmao.im an olympiakos fan and i say that we can give him more than 4O millions per year!

arlubas
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey arlubas, arent you an Panathinaikois fan?

Hating a bit?=

Jajajajajajajajaajjajaja

Anyway i like Aek better.

Yeah I am a Panathinaikos fan and I was very glad when I heard Childress is coming over here even if it's for Olympiakos. I'm gonna go watch him live numerous times, you can count on that cause I'm a basketball fan more than a Panathinaikos fan and having Josh here play every week only makes me happy.

arlubas
08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
if lebron comes here then the olympiakos should be renamed.it should be called lebroniakos.lmao.im an olympiakos fan and i say that we can give him more than 4O millions per year!

Dude, I highly doubt the Aggelopoulos bros could afford 20 million let alone more than forty...

CowboysKB24
08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I doubt he will leave the NBA.
He is going to get paid around 25 million a year if he wants to in the NBA and maybe even more.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I doubt he will leave the NBA.
He is going to get paid around 25 million a year if he wants to in the NBA and maybe even more.

if he gets offered $40,000,000 in Euro (so it actually is even more), he is not going to pass it up.

how many athletes today do we watch make the same kind of decision? except here, its usually chance to win vs. money. we see it so much and this is just another example.

just this summer we watched corey maggete who has lost all his career, and even metioned it repeatedly, only to take more money offered by the going no where warriors.

u think lebron wont care about a 15 million dollar difference? then your indenial. sometimes a couple million can swing an athlete towards a team, nevermind 15 mil.

well he will dominate and live rich as heck, but he will lose ALL RESPECT of fans in the US. Nothing he wins over there will mean **** to fans here and he can forget being an NBA legend. its like Doug Flutie winning in the Canadian football league. he was amazing there, but no one here cared at all.

do they really have 40 mil to offer? i mean damn thats soo much money. one thing for sure, this will get interesting. the cavs should trade him soon before they get caught up in this mess and end up with nothing.

in the end its $$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$$ Lebron Jame$ is gonna be redic rich after hes done ballen here or in Europe.

argo
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Im not saying a Highschool Team can beat a Euro Team Im saying a Ring won in the Euro League is like a Ring Won in Highschool Basketball.

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've read on here. What do you know about European basketball?

If you aren't familiar with something, you're probably not qualified to judge or criticize it.

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
This is one of the most ignorant posts I've read on here. What do you know about European basketball?

If you aren't familiar with something, you're probably not qualified to judge or criticize it.

Seriously Who has ever Known who wins a Euro League? Too Many Leagues that people cant keep up with.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM

hes not saying that our HS teams = Euro teams.

hes saying thats how much fans in America will care about watever he wins overseas.

so he is really saying HS ring = Euro ring in an American's fans eyes.

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
hes not saying that our HS teams = Euro teams.

hes saying thats how much fans in America will care about watever he wins overseas.

so he is really saying HS ring = Euro ring in an American's fans eyes.

Exactly.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Exactly.

yup and it essentially means he wins NOTHING bc no one here will care.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-03-2008, 10:06 PM
If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and there is nobody around does it still make a sound?

Anyway, if stars go to europe some Tv in USA will be wise enough to broadcast euroleague.

John408
08-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I also read an article somewhere that Kobe Bryant would leave for Europe if they paid him $20 plus. It was an article somewhere in reference to Josh Childress leaving. Kobe can speak other languages such as Italy so I wouldnt be surprised.

It would probably be cool to play overseas for big money that is tax free and fully paid hospitality. I would immediately desposit that money into an investment account and live off the free stuff. Haha

NBA players leaving for the overseas teams is a reality and I expect it to be more of a trend of Josh Childress tenure is a success.

You guys agree with me???

BTownTeamsRKing
08-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I also read an article somewhere that Kobe Bryant would leave for Europe if they paid him $20 plus. It was an article somewhere in reference to Josh Childress leaving. Kobe can speak other languages such as Italy so I wouldnt be surprised.

It would probably be cool to play overseas for big money that is tax free and fully paid hospitality. I would immediately desposit that money into an investment account and live off the free stuff. Haha

NBA players leaving for the overseas teams is a reality and I expect it to be more of a trend of Josh Childress tenure is a success.

You guys agree with me???

that would suck so bad. and im a Celtics fan

A-TrainDopeMan
08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=BTownTeamsRKing;6136969]if he gets offered $40,000,000 in Euro (so it actually is even more), he is not going to pass it up.

What are you talking about? They would offer him a contract equivalent to 40,000,000 dollars. They wouldn't offer him 40 million euros.

Westbrook36
08-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I doubt this Dude Is stupid Enough to Sign Lebron James for 40M a Year..

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
08-04-2008, 12:14 AM
That Will Never Happen

I wouldn't say never. The NBA is a business. As long as our economy continues to fall, anything can happen. The value of money is greater out there. I would say that it is unlikely but it only takes one. Lets say Lebron does leave. What would you say then? Will others fallow? I say they would.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=BTownTeamsRKing;6136969]if he gets offered $40,000,000 in Euro (so it actually is even more), he is not going to pass it up.

What are you talking about? They would offer him a contract equivalent to 40,000,000 dollars. They wouldn't offer him 40 million euros.

oo ok. didnt know that. still thats around 15-18 mil more than he could get here, which isnt fair.

Olympiakos
08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Aggelopoulos said he will "compete" top NBA teams in the near future!

And I don't think he is lying!

Prepare for something big to happen next year, whatever that might mean....The old record in season tickets belongs to the past already. The stadium will collapse!!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee93/ManosEK9/107176-olumpiakos.jpg http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee93/ManosEK9/150px-Olympiakos4_svg.png

Vegasguy80
08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Why do you keep posting these? Maybe I should just post that Team Iraq is going for Bynum next year.

Reezy
08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Why do you keep posting these? Maybe I should just post that Team Iraq is going for Bynum next year.

This page has been going on for over 3 days now. Welcome.

Vegasguy80
08-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Sometimes it is NOT always about the money. I would much rather make 20 mill here then go to a foreign country where the competition is weak and make more money. That is just stupid!

Vegasguy80
08-04-2008, 04:05 PM

This page has been going on for over 3 days now. Welcome.

So what? I do other things then sit on the internet. It just happened to be in the top 5 post at the moment.

Reezy
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
So what? I do other things then sit on the internet. It just happened to be in the top 5 post at the moment.

So what, you're 3 days late in making a statement like that. Rather than making yourself appear as a fool, maybe you shouldn't have made that post. Problem solved.

lakers4sho
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Sometimes it is NOT always about the money. I would much rather make 20 mill here then go to a foreign country where the competition is weak and make more money. That is just stupid!

That is YOU. Does LeBron James think the same way as you do? We're not sure. That's the thing about it. We're not sure what he's thinking. But based from his personality, he would rather be a billionaire than maintain his NBA legacy.

united41290
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
i would love it. just as if cristiano ronaldo came to the US to play soccer. in 25 years the NBA turns into a global WBA. no doubt in my mind Baracelona, Maccabi Tel Aviv, CSKA Moscow, Olympiakos, or even Roma could compete and come out a winner matched up against many NBA teams.

before you jump all over me i know its not gonna happen. haha i think it would be very interesting to see Nets/Knicks fans to all simeltaneously go into a coma

LA_Raiders
08-05-2008, 12:26 AM
For $40M/yr he will play...He loves the $$$ not the game....

kylem4711
08-05-2008, 01:01 AM
that would be awesome

Breatnach
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM

Who cares about exact numbers? The fact remains, that it would be a LOT more then he could ever get in the NBA.

Normally, I would say there is no chance... IF LeBron didn't keep expressing his wish to become the first billionaire in sports. I just don't see that happening in the NBA with the salary cap rules as they are today.

What I think is more likely though, is that LeBron will stay as long as he can play his A-game (10 years, or so) and then retire in Europe where he can end his career in leisure. Much like Beckham - just the other way around.

SHONIE
08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Oh lord I hope this doesn't happen.

JWalk126
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM

the Greek league and the Iraq National team arent exactly on the same logic scale. Team Iraq cant have NBA players unless they were born or lived in that country

stlramsgo81
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
would never happen.....

Strumpy
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Dwayne Wade was asked how much it would take for him to play in Europe. He jokingly said "30 mil per year with a house and car." The fact of the matter is that that's looking more realistic everyday.
If LeBron were to go to Europe he would literally be treated like a King.
I think David Stern has got a growing problem on his hands.