PDA

View Full Version : Everything's clicking for Team USA, especially Kobe on defense

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
MACAU -- We have three candidates for strangest thing we saw on Friday: A referee smoking a cigarette at halftime, Sarunas Jasikevicius looking like he had never played the game of basketball before and Chris Paul throwing down a dunk late in the fourth quarter.

Well, check that.

Paul has dunked before, which everyone on Team USA was quick to remind Dwight Howard of, since he was the guy Paul dunked over during a Hornets-Magic game a couple years back.

The other two items, however, were true rarities, and Kobe Bryant's shutting down of Jasikevicius was one of the biggest eye-openers, as Team USA handled Lithuania with relative ease in a 120-84 victory that wrapped up the Macau portion of its pre-Olympic tour.

"That's what I do," said Bryant, who gave himself a new nickname: "The Doberman."

There was pretty much nothing but a long, long list of positives for Team USA in this 36-point stomping, so let's just go ahead and rattle off a few:

Dwyane Wade again looked like the Wade of two years ago, punctuating a 7-for-9, 19-point performance with yet another powerful windmill dunk late in the fourth quarter that had his teammates jumping off the bench and roaring in admiration.

"He's back. That's all I can tell you, he's back," Carmelo Anthony said.

Howard got going on offense early after getting a pep talk during the morning shootaround from assistant coach Nate McMillan, scoring 10 of his 17 points in the best first quarter the Americans have played among their three warmup games, thus far.

Michael Redd busting Lithuania's zone by knocking down four 3-pointers and scoring 16 points in just 14 minutes, his shot clicking so well that LeBron James took to yelling "bang bang" every time the left-hander fired away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USALithuania-080801

lakers4sho
08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Jasikevicius looked pissed out there, Kobe totally shut him down. The game was pretty close until Lithuania made a few careless turnovers. It seems like they don't know ball handling, or maybe U.S.'s pressure defense was too much for them :shrug:

Tom Stone
08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah they looked pretty good........But I think when they play spain there number will be up......or even Greese when they meet Baby shaq...the'll lose their physical dominance and have to deal with teams that really play together....not that they can't win....I just think the presure will get to them.....and bold statements from Lebron James "we will win gold for sure".....saying something like that can only hurt your chances.......Peace

lakers4sho
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Yup I'm looking forward to games against Spain, Greece, and Argentina. Hopefully they'll be exciting and not blowouts.

_Sn1P3r_
08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Yup I'm looking forward to games against Spain, Greece, and Argentina. Hopefully they'll be exciting and not blowouts.

For sure those teams will be much more challenging than the teams USA faced so far. It'll be exciting to see how they fair against the better teams.

younggunn113
08-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Its fun to watch this team play, I cant wait for the Olympics to roll around

Storch
08-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Kobe did great on defense. But what won it was the team work and the high field goal percentage. 60+%?! holy hell!

lakersrock
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
This team is just as good as the last one, except Kobe is here. Say what you want, but every single team knows their best PG/SG/SF is done when they play USA because of him. LeBron needs to learn from him and just shut up and win. There's no need to talk when you're playing this good, just win.

Chronz
08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
This team is just as good as the last one, except Kobe is here. Say what you want, but every single team knows their best PG/SG/SF is done when they play USA because of him. LeBron needs to learn from him and just shut up and win. There's no need to talk when you're playing this good, just win.

What did LeBron say that go you so agitated?