PDA

View Full Version : Mutombo negotiations on hold

Sports Illustrator
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Agent: Center unlikely to play for veteran minimum salary
By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
July 31, 2008, 11:01PM

Contract negotiations with Dikembe Mutombo likely will be on hold until Mutombo and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey return from the Olympics, but Mutombo’s agent, David Falk, said Thursday that he doubted Mutombo, 7-2, would play another season if the Rockets offer only the veteran’s minimum.

“It would surprise me if they thought he would come back for the veteran’s minimum,” Falk said. “I’ve known (Rockets owner) Leslie Alexander for a long time. Dikembe has a very good relationship with Les. We’ll get together when we get back and see if there can be a situation for Dikembe to consider playing another season.”

Morey did not say what sort of offer he planned to make. The minimum for a veteran with Mutombo’s experience is roughly $1.3 million.

But if Mutombo, 42, was paid the minimum, the Rockets would pay only $797,581 of that amount (with the NBA subsidizing the difference) and only the amount the Rockets pay would count when calculating whether their payroll exceeds the luxury tax threshold.

“That’s all stuff we need to negotiate with him,” Morey said. “I don’t know if what we’re doing has been decided. We’re planning to sit down with Dikembe, it looks like after the Olympics. We hope to convince him to return.”

From Chron.Com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5918736.html)

Driven
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I honestly think that Scola's going to be the backup center this year, so I don't expect Mutombo to play much anyways.

JordansBulls
08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I honestly think that Scola's going to be the backup center this year, so I don't expect Mutombo to play much anyways.

Whose starting at the PF? And please don't say Artest?

mightybosstone
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I think Scola will see time at C, but I think he's more fitted to play PF. That's where I think he should be in the starting lineup, not Artest. That being said, I think Artest will also get a lot of minutes at PF in smaller lineups.

Driven
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Whose starting at the PF? And please don't say Artest?

Even if Scola starts at PF, I think he'll still get the majority of backup C minutes, IMO. They can go to a small lineup and either throw Artest at PF or Landry at PF when Yao is on the bench

{º¿º}
08-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Last season Deke only wanted 500k above the minimum before settling for the minimum. I say sign Deke at the 1.7 or whatever and move on without Landry. Not signing Landry could also be the difference in keeping Artest by adding that 2-3 extra million per yr to his offer at seasons end.

The Rockets also need to start preparing to resign Scola. The guy should be pulling down at least 8m right now. It'll defintely cost money to resign him after next season, especially if the story of him being offered 15m per season from the Greek team was true.

Sports Illustrator
08-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Contract negotiations with Dikembe Mutombo will likely be on hold until Mutombo and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey return from the Olympics, but Mutombo's agent, David Falk, said Thursday that he doubted that Mutombo would play another season if the Rockets offer only the veteran's minimum. "It would surprise me if they thought he would come back for the veteran's minimum," Falk said. "I've know (Rockets owner) Leslie Alexander for a long time. Dikembe has a very good relationship with Les. We'll get together when we get back and see if there can be a situation for Dikembe to consider playing another season." Rockets general manager Daryl Morey did not say what sort of offer he planned to make.

From Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5918575.html)

agobbi17
08-02-2008, 03:59 PM
he needs to call his own bluff and just sign the vet minimum.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
maybe two mill at most

t-mac1nukka
08-02-2008, 09:41 PM
2 mil for a guy who will see <5 mins a game! is it possible to make the contract for minimum with a clause that if he has to take on heavy mins like last year his salary raises to say 1.2-1.7 mil???