PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery to the rescue?

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
In the first three days of practice, Montgomery has had some bright moments, both at tackle and end. On Wednesday night, he came oh so close to trashing tackle Tony Moll with the “hump” move made famous by Reggie White.

If Jenkins is forced to move inside in base, Montgomery is probably the next-best option to start at right end, given Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila’s age and knee problems. Hairston always has liked Montgomery’s ability to set the edge against the run and find the ball.

With Jenkins entrenched at right tackle in the nickel, the Packers have been shuttling Johnny Jolly, Colin Cole, Montgomery and others at left tackle.

“Mike’s playing strong,” Hairston said, acknowledging that this was the best he had seen him perform. “He’s doing good things, physically and mentally. Now we’ve got to keep him healthy.”

Therein lies the problem. Montgomery’s right knee is sound now, but the Packers aren’t sure if it will hold up.

In August 2007, he underwent arthroscopic surgery for cartilage damage and a torn medial collateral ligament. In December 2006, he suffered an MCL sprain and posterior collateral damage in the same knee.

A reserved, modest man, Montgomery can only pray that his knee doesn’t fail him. He will become an unrestricted free agent in March, and to this point the Packers have not even discussed an extension.

His ready nod made it clear that he knows his financial future is intertwined with his performance in 2008.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778675
“Oh yeah, oh yeah, I’m real motivated,” Montgomery said. “But I can’t put too much stress on my life. What I told myself was, ‘Hey, give it all I’ve got and whatever the good Lord has for me, it’ll come.’

Apparently he's been doing pretty good in camp. Since Jeremy Thompson hasn't looked like anything special so far, this seems like a nice story heading into the season. Anything Mike Montgomery gives us is a bonus.

Packerbacker
08-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Good, I'm glad we have alittle more depth at D line with the problems jolly is having and letting williams go I was worried. to bad we don't have Favre then it wouldn't matter what are D was doing because we could keep up with the other teams scoring.

hawkeye
08-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Apparently he's been doing pretty good in camp. Since Jeremy Thompson hasn't looked like anything special so far, this seems like a nice story heading into the season. Anything Mike Montgomery gives us is a bonus.

Thank God, just when I've been worried that it was a mistake letting Corey Wiliams go :rolleyes:

It's always a bonus when a stiff gives you ANYTHING. Too bad the fat kid from TN can't give us ANYTHING.

servais77
08-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I can't see Jenkins holding up on the inside consistently. It would be fantastic if Mike Montgomery made the team. He is probably on the chopping block.

wwfd1220
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM

great .... i am officially ready to watch the packers in the super bowl :rolleyes:

wwfd1220
08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Thank God, just when I've been worried that it was a mistake letting Corey Wiliams go :rolleyes:

It's always a bonus when a stiff gives you ANYTHING. Too bad the fat kid from TN can't give us ANYTHING.

oh come on now hawkeye. harrell is all choked up about this injury, and he is definitely not going to be a bust :o

hughest4
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
To be honest, Montgomery has been injured so much that i don't really know what he brings to the table. Either way anything he can give us is great and we really need it at this point. Hopefully he stays healthy this season and shows us what he can do