PDA

View Full Version : Where does Manny rank all time in Boston?

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Not taking his antics into account, where do you think Manny ranks All-time in Boston?

moneyball
08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Certainly a great hitter but never a great teamate, he would never get top billing among the many Boston athletes over the years who have been.

magichatnumber9
08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Manny gets put in the third

Tankjeep
08-01-2008, 07:53 AM
just for the simple fact that he helped the red sox bring home a long awaited ws trophy after 86 years.....he should rank pretty high among boston athletes, let alone among the higher red sox players.

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 08:03 AM
As a BB player pretty high, as a person probably last place.

Thelfman
08-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I would say, considering only position players, probably second behind Ted Williams.

Danman1116
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Manny gets put in the third

Maybe for his hitting...but overall batting/fielding/chemistry? Nah

Williams, Yaz, Doerr, Cronin, Fisk, Foxx, Cy Young, Pesky, Fisk, Dom Dimaggio, Rice, Lynn, Evans

So maybe in the 10-15 range

i am bob
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Manny has to be pretty high for what he's done so far in his career.

Tragedy
08-01-2008, 09:48 AM
As a BB player pretty high, as a person probably last place.
Exactly.

Unbelievable hitter and great numbers. 20 years from now, kids will look at his stats and their jaws will drop. Then they'll ask about him, and we can explain the type of person he really was.

RedSoxtober
08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Exactly.

Unbelievable hitter and great numbers. 20 years from now, kids will look at his stats and their jaws will drop. Then they'll ask about him, and we can explain the type of person he really was.

I agree. Probably top 5-10 when you look at him in the history books.

PapelbonLester
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
K if you put everything in consideration.... pitchers are better and dont throw 4000 pitches a game anymore. id have to say he's the 2nd best hitter boston has ever had. Right after TW. people seem to think hes top 20 EVER. idk about that but i say he's number 2 in our history

BrooklynBalla20
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
i would agree that hes the second best hitter we've had after williams, and overall, i would have to say at least top 5

quiksilver2491
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Hate him all you want but he is probably the greatest right handed hitter of his generation right behind Frank Thomas. As for where he ranks in Boston I think he is the best hitter we have had since Ted Williams.

acecrusher06
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
ranks after teddie

papipapsmanny
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I put williams, Yaz, Foxx, Young ahead of him

hell for redsox history i might even put ortiz in front of him soon

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Ted- Im sorry but not even Manny deserves to have his name in the same setence as this guy, prolly the 2nd greatest player ever behing Ruth.

Yaz
Manny

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Who thinks this is so old and pointless. 2 World Series says HELL NO.

lil'papi
08-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Hate him all you want but he is probably the greatest right handed hitter of his generation right behind Frank Thomas. As for where he ranks in Boston I think he is the best hitter we have had since Ted Williams.

Doesn't AROD bat right handed? Frank Thomas? Are you serious....

CyYoungPapelbon
08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe for his hitting...but overall batting/fielding/chemistry? Nah

Williams, Yaz, Doerr, Cronin, Fisk, Foxx, Cy Young, Pesky, Fisk, Dom Dimaggio, Rice, Lynn, Evans

So maybe in the 10-15 rangeManny's chemistry seemed just fine when the team won 2 World Series titles in 4 years, both of which Manny played a huge part in.

On the other hand, that incredible chemistry that almost all of the others you mentioned brought never delivered Boston a World Series title.

homie564
08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
id may manny ranks top ten

ReggieLewis35
08-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Come on guys were talking baseball who cares what his personality was like!! You want personalities watch Desperat Housewives Damn!! Joe Dimaggio was one of the most arrogant punks the game has every seen. People don't remember him for that they remember the numbers and the trophies bottom line!! Manny is arguably the 2nd best right handed hitter since Joe D!! Im not a Manny fan never have been but as all time Sox go he's in the TOP 5 w/o a doubt!!! 1)TED WILLIAMS 2)YAZ 3)FOXX 4)Young 5)Ramirez (2 rings)!! If anyone feels this list is inaccurate holler back!!

futureheisman
09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
best right handed hitter

bagwell368
09-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I go back to '66. Manny is easily the best RH hitter we have had in that time (easily ahead of Rice). He also has a strong arm. That's about it for the good stuff. He made errors, had poor range, was a bizarre base runner (when he did try he was pretty quick).

He seemed to cut up the clubhouse pretty well until Boras turned him into a jerk. If I was building a Boston only team I would have to consider him - but with Papi at DH, and Yaz at LF only the need to balance off the R/L mix could induce me to take him.

Boston sure has had its fill of jerky boys over the years - here is a sample:

Rice (an unpleasant man)
Manny
Lynn (ducked the tough lefties with his bad backs...)
Yaz (at times)
Nomar (spoiled brat)
Boggs (dill weed)
Mo (not too bad except for the late night clubbing)
Dewey (pretty selfish)
Roger

oh yeah...

Osiagledknarf
09-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Come on...I hate Ramirez, and have for a long time...he's a douche, no doubt. BUT...he did help bring two World Series to us, and there was a time I would have signed Satan to help win a championship. So, you have to figure that into your ranking.

With that, he has to be at least Top 5. No one can unseat Babe Ruth or Ted Williams from the top spots...no one. Cy Young has to be up there. Foxx too, but he didn't play as long in Boston or win a World Series here. The only others who could make the Top 5 for me, would be Yaz and Rice, who were both great, but didn't bring us a World Series either...let alone two. So, Manny does deserve his credit...but WOW, he's a douche.