PDA

View Full Version : Jameer that important?

ptransfer
07-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi i am a phoenix fan and who loves to watch the magic play. Reading some posts people seem to be big fans of Jameer. I was really curious about this. From watching games i think he is more of a problem. A PG who is to short, cant defend, isn't a reliable outside shooter and prone to turning the ball over in pressure situations.

Considering the amount of individual scoring talent on the team (Turk, Howard and Rashard) i would think a more solid, jumpshooting PG who could defend ala Kirk Heinrich (or even turn JJ Redick into a backup PG ala Steve Kerr, although he could never defend) would be more desirable than a slasher like Jameer.

Opinions?

*Superman*
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I was thinking about that too, if Jameer is really our guy. I love Jameer and all but i am stating to believe that he is not a starter and you listed most of the problems. I think he would make a better 6th man, but he is also learning still so ill give him about 1-2 years, before we can really tell.

MoJay
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I think he fits well in Orlando from an outsider view. We'll see how this season goes

Sports Illustrator
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
The reason why Carlos Arroyo started ahead of him many games and took away from Jameer Nelson's minutes is because of the several problems that have already been stated.

Jameer Nelson should be so much of a better player while being surrounded with guys like Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu. Look at how much Rondo improved last season while being surrounded with guys such as Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. I wonder how successful Jameer Nelson would be if he was in Rondo's same situation, I don't think he would have done so well.

Jameer Nelson is just a scoring Point Guard who many people had high hopes for. He's not bad here in Orlando, but he can do a lot better than what he's doing right now.

RapsFan4Life
08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
i think your wrong, jameer is a solid guard not top 10 like jose calderon, but still solid ... he stepped up very well in the playoffs and shot the ball from the outside well << keep working on that he will get better, he has a nice drive to the basket and kick out to team mates not gready and very tough and energetic, he has problems with his defense but he has D12 behind him .. so it isnt too big of a deal if a guard like jose calderon breaks him off the dribble ... turn overs is something he will get better with because of his speed and quickness .. he just needs experiance and learn to take his time with the ball... he is a solid starting guard but still not going to be all star, but look at boston rajan has little skills past his quickness and pesky defense, and they still won ... let howard do what howard does.. jameer is not a focus more of a fan favorite

Reezy
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't mind Jameer that much, but we could always upgrade at the 1 and 2 spots.

*Superman*
08-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I wish we had Calderon, man we would be so dominant. Does anyone remember what we gave up for Nelson, wasn't he drafted the same year as Dwight and we got him from Denver. Anyone clear it up for me?

Reezy
08-02-2008, 01:52 AM
How could we get Calderon? We'd have to give up something really great for him IMO.

jetsfan28
08-02-2008, 03:07 AM
I wish we had Calderon, man we would be so dominant. Does anyone remember what we gave up for Nelson, wasn't he drafted the same year as Dwight and we got him from Denver. Anyone clear it up for me?

He was supposed to be a top 10 pick. He slipped, and the Magic traded with the Nuggets (who drafted him) to get him. The Magic traded a 2005 1st round pick (the one from Washington via the Brendan Haywood trade).

POZUNO
08-02-2008, 06:09 AM
I think TJ Ford would be the man for yall. Jameer is ok and yes he is young but I just don't think he fits well with the Magics system. I like Arroyo too but he too just doesn't seem to fit well as a starter.

*Superman*
08-02-2008, 02:48 PM
He was supposed to be a top 10 pick. He slipped, and the Magic traded with the Nuggets (who drafted him) to get him. The Magic traded a 2005 1st round pick (the one from Washington via the Brendan Haywood trade).

I see, thanks.

Reezy
08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
I think TJ Ford would be the man for yall. Jameer is ok and yes he is young but I just don't think he fits well with the Magics system. I like Arroyo too but he too just doesn't seem to fit well as a starter.

I wish we could get T.J. Ford. What would Indiana want for him now?

One of the things I really love about Ford is his insane speed.

*Superman*
08-02-2008, 06:23 PM

I don't think Indy would give up Ford now, they are looking to rebuild around him. But i read when his contract ends, he might be looking to play for the Magic because we would be getting the new arena and who wouldn't want to play with Dwight. I agree with you, his speed is amazing. Also by that time, we would see if Jameer is going to be are starter or not.

POZUNO
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM

I would probably trade Jameer, reddick, and either a pick or foyle for him. I don't know. I think yall might have a better chance on getting him if there was a third party involve in the trade. Maybe Miami or the Knicks.

But yea, Indiana is probably building the team around him. Yall shouldn't worry to much. I think yall still have the better team. Peace

Reezy
08-02-2008, 10:53 PM
What is Indiana looking for?

*Superman*
08-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Last i heard Indy wanted a low post score, unless we give Howard, i don't see them making a deal.lol

But more realistically could be offering Hedo, i think that would get it done.

Reezy
08-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Last i heard Indy wanted a low post score, unless we give Howard, i don't see them making a deal.lol

But more realistically could be offering Hedo, i think that would get it done.
Would we even think about giving up Hedo?

I'd honestly have to think about it. I love T.J. Ford.

*Superman*
08-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Would Otis want to give up Hedo? No, remember he said he doesn't want to give up Hedo, Shard or Howard.

I would think about giving up Hedo for TJ and probably someone else though, but can TJ even guard? Just wait until 2010 when his contract expires, he definetly won't want to be with Indy and will search around.

ptransfer
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
i think hedo for ford would be a good trade, since Hedo is going to want more than the magic will be able to offer next year

*Superman*
08-06-2008, 01:22 AM
What is Indiana looking for?

Well Reezy, just for you i went in the Indiana forum and asked them about a trade for Hedo and JJ(make numbers work) for Ford and someone said "Both trades suck, especially the first one. No thanks. We didn't work so hard to get Ford just to trade him and be back in the same situation we were before a few weeks ago, Tinsley as the starter. They didn't want to really trade him because they just got him, you don't see that happen often. The second trade was Foster for Cook and Bogans.

Reezy
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Well Reezy, just for you i went in the Indiana forum and asked them about a trade for Hedo and JJ(make numbers work) for Ford and someone said "Both trades suck, especially the first one. No thanks. We didn't work so hard to get Ford just to trade him and be back in the same situation we were before a few weeks ago, Tinsley as the starter. They didn't want to really trade him because they just got him, you don't see that happen often. The second trade was Foster for Cook and Bogans.
Yeah, I guess it shows that Hedo really is more valuable to us than other teams.

IndyFan
08-06-2008, 12:02 PM

i was one of the guys that didn't like the trade. nothing against turkoglu, but the pacers already have granger, dunleavy, BRush and daniels at the 2 & 3. adding turkoglu to that mix just means less minutes for everyone. plus ford is the pacer's only quality PG. trading him for another SF just doesn't make sense.

:)

Reezy
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
i was one of the guys that didn't like the trade. nothing against turkoglu, but the pacers already have granger, dunleavy, BRush and daniels at the 2 & 3. adding turkoglu to that mix just means less minutes for everyone. plus ford is the pacer's only quality PG. trading him for another SF just doesn't make sense.

Yep, it seems like not many teams need an SG/SF that badly. One of the best parts about Turkoglu is that he's become a much better player and can drive to the hoop as well. But I totally understand that you guys have too many guys there already. Even us, it'd be nice to have a quality PG, but I think more the priority for us is to get another quality big.

*Superman*
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Yeah i understand no hard feelings.

rogbalog
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
They just traded their only low-post scorer to get TJ Ford, so they won't be trading him for anything short of double his value.

Also, Ford raises a giant red flag because of his injury issues. Serious back injuries don't just go away; the only reason the trade got done with Toronto is because the teams were swapping two injury-prone all-stars.

Besides all of this, Jameer completely outplayed Ford and Calderon combined in the first round of the playoffs. To refresh your memory, many analysts were saying that the series might hinge on which backcourt, and more specifically, which set of PGs played the best. In the one game that Calderon and Ford outplayed Jameer in, the Raptors won. In the rest Jameer torched and shut down both of them.

I agree that in the regular season Jameer was flawed and obviously not an entirely polished PG, but he shone in the playoffs and that's what counts, right?

Reezy
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm sure Jameer will keep getting better. But I still think Ford is faster than him.

*Superman*
08-07-2008, 12:27 AM
We will have to wait until he is a FA or look at another PG later on.

rogbalog
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't want him at all. Sure he is fast, but career-threatening back injuries aren't going to let him be fast forever, and even putting the injuries aside, he is a whiner and a marginal defender at best.
The bottom line is, pros and cons being what they may, taking on someone who has major back issues is a HUGE risk. One we don't need right now, as we are poised to make a deep playoff run.
We have a young, healthy team with a bright future. Ford is not the player for us.
Crittenton is a better fit and would cost less. He has the size to defend (6-5) and is a pass-first PG. And he is young and healthy.

Reezy
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Plus Critt has previous playing experience with Dwight.

I also like Pargo as well.

*Superman*
08-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Crittention is good, but they want JJ and the 1st, do we give that? Otis is waiting for them to lower the price, but if they don't I'm sure they will have someone else before training camp starts.