PDA

View Full Version : How does Jason Bay Handle Boston , and the Fans

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
CAn Jason Bay who is a quite to himself individual deal with the big stage known as the BOSTON RED SOX?

Run Gardner Run
07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
stay tuned and youll see. But as long as he produces, why not

yaowowrocket11
07-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Sure, there will be lots more pressure on him in Boston, knowing he is the man to replace Manny Ramirez, one of the greatest hitters in history. Although, he knows that he won't be the star and franchise player of this team, like he was in Pittsburgh. He has plenty of stars over him, so he will be fine.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Yea i just hope that he comes in and goes 2-4 tomorrow. Think he will be in the Line-up for the next game.

MVPOrtiz201
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
I think he should be alright. There will probably be a adjustment period, but I don't think, and hope that it doesn't take quite as long with him as it did Drew.

-Lavigne43-
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Hopefully he will excel and be a better offensive player at Fenway

BostonFan 53
07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
I already hate this deal.

If he comes here and hits .250, he's certainly gonna hear about it.

He's filling the shoes of a 1st ballot HOFer, We certainly gave up a lot for him. If he doesn't put up Manny Ramirez numbers, He's not going to be treated well.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
So when do we see him in the line-up? For sure i am excieted about his hustle in the feild and he should be a doubles machine at Fenway.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
I disagree with him not putting up Manny numbers. Manny was gone after this season either way so i believe we got the best replacement OF'er that we could have gotten. Plus leaves us a Grip of Money for SP next year.

MVPOrtiz201
07-31-2008, 09:14 PM

He's filling the shoes of a 1st ballot HOFer, We certainly gave up a lot for him. If he doesn't put up Manny Ramirez numbers, He's not going to be treated well.

Well he is putting up Manny numbers in a much more pitcher friendly park, so hopefully that translates into just as good if not better production, than his numbers are right now.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
07-31-2008, 09:14 PM
I think Bay will flourish in a high pressure environment and utilize the Monster very well. :D

sboyajian
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM

As long as he is a good clubhouse person and puts up decent numbers.. he'll be appreciated.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree with Bays assesment going from the face of an orginazation to just being one of many guys that can be a solid player to an already solid line-up.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
So when does he get into the line up? Tomorrow agianst the A's

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I hope so cause i will be watching

MVPOrtiz201
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
So when does he get into the line up? Tomorrow agianst the A's

I would think he would be in tomorrow.

Tragedy
07-31-2008, 09:43 PM
We will enjoy Bay, just as Bay will enjoy playing meaningful games.

I think we're all just happy to have someone in LF that can place defense, will not make ridiculous plays, will always play hard, and respects the game for what it is.

That's me, anyways.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
OH yeah i am super excieted to watch him play

Wake's Fastball
07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
I think having some actual lineup protection is going to help him out a ton. I think in the present that Bay may actually have more pop than Manny, but he's not going to hit for average like Ramirez did. His first few games are going to be huge.

Tragedy
07-31-2008, 09:50 PM
I think having some actual lineup protection is going to help him out a ton. I think in the present that Bay may actually have more pop than Manny, but he's not going to hit for average like Ramirez did. His first few games are going to be huge.
That's the thing - Actual protection.

Bay has been a member with the Pirates, yet he's put up the type of numbers he has. Now he's going to have a cost of Ortiz, Drew, Lowell, Youkilis, and Pedroia around him.

How can he not be BETTER?

I'm hoping he has a good two months and we extend him past 2009.

MVPOrtiz201
07-31-2008, 09:55 PM

I think everyone is with you on that one, although I believe Matt Holliday is a free agent after 2009, so I also definitely wouldn't mind having him.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Im Calling it i think he goes yard in his 1st game as the REDSOX leftfeilder

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM

Cough two months early. In the sense, he's not the same type of hitter, fine that's fair. This was going to happen sooner or later. Be happy we got someone for next year. Manny is a HOF and I will never doubt his impact on our team 274 HR, 874 RBI, 2 WS, 8 Allstar showings.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
i agree he has to be better

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Cough two months early. In the sense, he's not the same type of hitter, fine that's fair. This was going to happen sooner or later. Be happy we got someone for next year.

Yeah know kidding at least we got something for him oppose to him just walking after the season

Wake's Fastball
07-31-2008, 10:21 PM

Bay has been a member with the Pirates, yet he's put up the type of numbers he has. Now he's going to have a cost of Ortiz, Drew, Lowell, Youkilis, and Pedroia around him.

Well I go both directions with the protection argument. He had a sky-high OBP in Pittsburgh because opposing pitchers didn't have to throw the ball over the plate to him. He's not going to have that in Boston, and while I don't think that he's an exceptional contact hitter, getting to face pitchers who have to throw him the ball over the plate could very well help him out as well. We can only wait and see.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
I can't wait for 2morrows game i think we start a winning streak....maybe 5 to 8 in a row.

gcoll
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Jason Bay will be fine.

In fact. He's gonna hit 4 home runs in tomorrow's game.

cocossox
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
was just wondering if any news people have interviewed bay yet wondering if he is happy about coming to play for us.

nolin
07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
This team normally makes a trade too better themselves at the deadline. This year they have gotten worst. i just dont understand the trade while were in a playoff race.Maybe being content with 2 rings in 4 years?

cocossox
07-31-2008, 10:34 PM
This team normally makes a trade too better themselves at the deadline. This year they have gotten worst. i just dont understand the trade while were in a playoff race.Maybe being content with 2 rings in 4 years?imo the deal was made b/c the fo was sick n tired of worrying about weather manny was gonna quit on them

No Pie Here
07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
This team normally makes a trade too better themselves at the deadline. This year they have gotten worst. i just dont understand the trade while were in a playoff race.Maybe being content with 2 rings in 4 years?

I'm not so sure. Manny was gone after this year. Sure, the Sox could've picked up his options and traded him, BUT that's next year. This year, just like in 2006 Manny seemed ready to pack it in. What's worse? Having Bay do his darndest to hit something outta the park, or Manny dogging it down the first base line, or flat-out giving up on his team by letting the bat sit on his shoulder for 3 strikes.
Let's also look at next year...instead of locking 20 million into an unhappy Manny, the Sox now have over 20 million (No Curt, No Manny) to upgrade the team without having to look in Left Field (hello Shortstop...and Catcher????). Repeating in modern spots is tough, and as Sox fans we've been super lucky over the last 4 years...but I'll take a championship every 2 or 3 no problem...and to me, that's what we're setting ourselves up for.

Tragedy
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
It's an investment for 2009. If we keep Ramirez then he walks after the season and we have no LFer in 2009. With Bay, we have someone locked up for next year.

Not to mention, Manny was literally hurting our chances to win this year with how much his attitude has distracted Terry/the club.

gosawks
07-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Agreed. I hear so much about how we can't win without Manny, but we weren't exactly winning lately with Manny. If he just quits on us, what would our options have been? Let him rot on the bench? Designate him? Either way we get nothing out of it. At least we got someone who, based on his numbers this year, can hit. And I don't think I even need to bring defense into the question.

Hoping that the fact that nobody has to worry about Manny anymore will boost the club. I'm sick of losing series with the caliber of team we have right now. Sure, the Angels are playing unreal, but something else seemed wrong in that series in Boston.

If we're going to lose, I'd rather lose knowing we got beat by someone better, NOT because we have more talent and someone was playing lazy.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM

you have no idea what your talking about.

PapelbonLester
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
This ends our LF hole to fill this winter. so we can focus on catching and pitching

Crucis
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM

And it shouldn't be overlooked that in Pitt., Bay was playing in a VERY righty-hitter UNfriendly ballpark. In Fenway, things will be about 180* different. Plenty of protection in the lineup, lots of runners to drive in, meaningful games in front of a full ballpark every home game, and a ball park that is about as righty-friendly as exists in MLB.

How can it not be better?

CarniifeX
07-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Jason Bay is going to thrive in a Red Sox uniform. With him in the middle of the lineup, with runners getting on in front of him, adnd with the green monster. He should be huge for the Red Sox down the stretch. Don't worry. He'll be fine.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Jason Bay is going to thrive in a Red Sox uniform. With him in the middle of the lineup, with runners getting on in front of him, adnd with the green monster. He should be huge for the Red Sox down the stretch. Don't worry. He'll be fine.

I Agree 100% Great point

Crucis
07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
This ends our LF hole to fill this winter. so we can focus on catching and pitching

If Bay has a good final 2 months (hopefully 3), I hope that the Sox try to get him extended this coming offseason, rather than waiting.

It would be nice to lock up LF for 4+ years with an All-Star caliber LF-er, even if he may not be a future HOF'er.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Tomorrow He Better Be In The Line_up Tito

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Or Else!!!!!!!

Towelie
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM
he should Pittsburgh is what 3 hours from Boston?

Crucis
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM
It's an investment for 2009. If we keep Ramirez then he walks after the season and we have no LFer in 2009. With Bay, we have someone locked up for next year.

Not to mention, Manny was literally hurting our chances to win this year with how much his attitude has distracted Terry/the club.

And maybe with the money freed up by no Manny and No Schill, the Sox can sign Bay to a nice, long extension and we'll have LF taken care of for a few years.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
OMG i am betting a wall ball double 1st at Bat!

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Take all that extra money and get CC or Sheets.

Towelie
07-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Not Sheets, to injury prone. CC is proven in the AL.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
I think Bay well feel at home in BOSTON. Just imagine the O-Vation he is gonna get when they announce him.

Towelie
07-31-2008, 11:28 PM
It's gonna be huge cause people are looking at him for zero problems.

Tragedy
07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, the Nation are really ready for Bay. I think we just want someone here that isn't going to cause such an unbelievable distraction.

Bay BETTER get a monster response, or I'll be very unhappy.

Peter Gammons said that Francona has lost about 15 lbs during this whole Manny escapade.

SOXPATSCELTS
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
I bet Francona is so happy that he has a 100% all around 5 tool player in Left now.

papipapsmanny
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
if drew who is very reticent can handle boston pressure then bay can too

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Taking bets on Bay's first at bat. I personally say a single up the middle. :smoking:

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 01:03 AM
I'll take the HR in the first AB

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 01:41 AM
If he hits a homer everyone will forget about Manny.

gcoll
08-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Taking bets on Bay's first at bat. I personally say a single up the middle. :smoking:

Fly out to right field.

Nickday
08-01-2008, 02:33 AM
stop giving him ****ing expectations. thats the LAST thing to do. if you want him to succeed dont expect a thing from him. expect jason bay, and jason bay only.

gcoll
08-01-2008, 02:39 AM
expect jason bay, and jason bay only.
Yeah....but Jason Bay is actually a really good player. So expecting him to be Jason Bay would be "expecting things" from him.

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 02:40 AM
I don't think what I say on an internet forum will affect how he plays on the field.

redsox_rallycry
08-01-2008, 04:43 AM
i really hope that bay excels in this remaining half of the season or else i have a feeling a number of disgruntled fans will hold up signs that say:

"bay is gay"
"bring back manny"
etc etc

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
His father is a huge REDSOX fan. He has posters of Yaz ....in his basement. I like him already!

Yaz is my all time RS favorite. He was the anti-manny.

i am bob
08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
His father is a huge REDSOX fan. He has posters of Yaz ....in his basement. I like him already!

Yaz is my all time RS favorite. He was the anti-manny.

:clap:

RedSoxtober
08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Hopefully he will excel and be a better offensive player at Fenway

I just clicked through about 5yrs worth of ESPN Park Factors (google it if you want) to get a feel for PNC vs Fenway. PNC is only slightly less productive in terms of runs and they suppress HR at very similar rates. PNC gives a boost (relative to MLB) for doubles, but it's not in the same league as Fenway. There's still a 20-25% boost in BOS.

I think we'll see him inch closer to a .300/30/105 rate for the rest of the season and through 2009. It's not Manny but it's good enough as long as guys like Youk and Pedroia continue to improve.

So when do we see him in the line-up? For sure i am excieted about his hustle in the feild and he should be a doubles machine at Fenway.

Reportedly he's flying into Boston this morning (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/bay_to_arrive_t.html). He's expected in the lineup tonight.

Well I go both directions with the protection argument. He had a sky-high OBP in Pittsburgh because opposing pitchers didn't have to throw the ball over the plate to him. He's not going to have that in Boston, and while I don't think that he's an exceptional contact hitter, getting to face pitchers who have to throw him the ball over the plate could very well help him out as well. We can only wait and see.

59BB/106 games is pretty high, but not outrageous among the hitters in the Sox lineup. Mid-30s in BB is pretty typical among the Sox hitters right now with Manny and Drew over 50. He's probably gotten a bump in OBP from being pitched around but not that much.

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
My major concern is his .190 against lefties. Pretty much my only concern.
We can find a bigger bat this winter or next deadline we now have more money for payroll even though they were 15 mil under last years already. Manny going frees up 13.5 mil.
That should be a nice addition by subtraction. Lets see what that 13.5 mil brings us. ;)

RedSoxtober
08-01-2008, 09:42 AM
^^^ I bet he stays through the end of his deal. They'll make an evaluation on extending him based on how Reddick moves through the system.

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
^^ I agree, but in the meantime we can still get a big bat. We can also get some parts for that 13.5 mil. Bay might be a monster here?
Who knows.....my point was if you look at the deal we gained 13.5 mil so when evaluating it lets see how they use the money next year.

Tragedy
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
^^ I agree, but in the meantime we can still get a big bat. We can also get some parts for that 13.5 mil. Bay might be a monster here?
Who knows.....my point was if you look at the deal we gained 13.5 mil so when evaluating it lets see how they use the money next year.
Well, where would we slide this new big bat in, though? Unless somehow a great SS becomes available, the only other position would realistically be Jason Varitek's spot.

I think they take whatever money they have this year and spend it on the BP/bench/POTENTIALLY one SP.

RedSoxtober
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM

Well, where would we slide this new big bat in, though? Unless somehow a great SS becomes available, the only other position would realistically be Jason Varitek's spot.

I think they take whatever money they have this year and spend it on the BP/bench/POTENTIALLY one SP.

I've been looking at the FA's and there really isn't much. By shedding Manny's money we could reasonably try to sign Furcal and hope he stays healthy for a change but that's about it. The only other impact players coming up on the market this winter are pitchers (Sabathia, Sheets, etc) and I'm not sure if we're willing to commit to them for as much as they'll demand.

FA 2010 is even more bleak unless some options are bought out.

PapelbonLester
08-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I've been looking at the FA's and there really isn't much. By shedding Manny's money we could reasonably try to sign Furcal and hope he stays healthy for a change but that's about it. The only other impact players coming up on the market this winter are pitchers (Sabathia, Sheets, etc) and I'm not sure if we're willing to commit to them for as much as they'll demand.

umm dont be too sure about that. Theo loves CC. we were about to trade bowden and reddick or lowrie lars anderson and reddick for him right before. the brew crew stole him away. and BELEIVE ME we WILL be in the running for one of them cause with the yankees pitching staff being as bad as it is. i see them pushing hard for one of these players. hopefully if they get one we get the other. that would be pretty sweet

DirtyThirty
08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Positives about Jason Bay

- He Hustles
- He is Team Friendly (fan also)
- He is a good fielder
- He is only 29 (we got younger)

This is how i look at this whole situation.If Manny finished out this year then the Red Sox would have got nothing in return for him. So i look at the deal as Jason Bay for Hansen and Moss.

Tragedy
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Positives about Jason Bay

- He Hustles
- He is Team Friendly (fan also)
- He is a good fielder
- He is only 29 (we got younger)

This is how i look at this whole situation.If Manny finished out this year then the Red Sox would have got nothing in return for him. So i look at the deal as Jason Bay for Hansen and Moss.
Add this:

-He's signed through next year, Ramirez was not.
-He's costing us about $7 million next season.

TDbank24
08-01-2008, 04:39 PM
It was a great deal with the way things were headed with Manny. If Bay performs the way he has been in Pittsburgh it may well be the steal of the century. We got younger, freed up some money to play with for next year, and got rid of a headache

Snipeshow
08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
A really great deal. Younger, cheaper, nearly as productive stats-wise...why not?

cocossox
08-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I hope he hits a HR in his 1st game!:D

JimmyMal450
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
While watching the NESN interview with Jason Bay, the question was asked how he would handle the pressure in Boston. Jason responded by saying he isn't worried and really he is just excited to play in some meaningful games in Boston. Jason Bay looks like the perfect player to join the Red Sox right now. He seems like he has the right attituse and wants to play for a great organization. I can't wait to watch tonight's game.

lil'papi
08-02-2008, 08:58 AM
read this pretty interesting..........

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7889

lil'papi
08-02-2008, 09:10 AM

We can still trade guys no? We have prospects. FA is only one way to improve and getting CC was pretty high on their list this year.

Tex could come and we could make someone else go. Pretty simple really. We can trade his position (youk) and get a catcher or SS.

Lowell can be traded too. People might not like it , but he certainly adds more (tex). Youk can man third. Lowrie can man third......I'm not advocating it just thinking out loud.

Holliday could be traded for...although that might clog the wheel. But we could move another OF'er to make room. There are all kinds of moves....

I wanna see Bay for the remainder this year. He might fill one need. Then a couple BP moves along with CC might be enough. Remember Ortiz is aging too.

Alot rides on how this year plays out.

TDbank24
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I think Bay handles Boston and the fans very well after what i saw in his first game. He looked good, flashed some leather in the field, came up with the big triple in the 12th, and scored both of our runs. Welcome to Boston Jason Bay