PDA

View Full Version : Favre to the Jets?

akorber
07-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Jets' trade talks for Favre heat up
By Pete Dougherty and Tom Pelissero • pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com • July 31, 2008

The New York Jets are in serious talks with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre’s agent about acquiring the legendary quarterback, a source said today.

The Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only teams that have permission to speak with Favre about a potential trade for now. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has been in talks with the Jets, who have shown a growing interest, but Cook has not been working closely with the Buccaneers, according to two sources.

Favre would have to sign off on any trade before a new team would be willing to give up compensation for him, because if he refuses to report to the new team’s camp, the trade would be voided. The extent of Cook’s talks with the Jets means Favre at least is considering playing for them.

Ted Thompson, the Packers’ general manager, has been asking for a draft pick that could escalate to a better pick based on Favre’s and the new team’s performance. Thompson and the Packers have stated repeatedly they plan to move forward with Aaron Rodgers, the former first-round pick and Favre’s backup the past three years, as their starting quarterback.

Favre could force the Packers’ hand by showing up to training camp, and earlier today, he was scheduled to take a private plane to Green Bay. However, that flight was delayed multiple times and then apparently cancelled.

For a third straight day, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell declined to act on Favre’s request for reinstatement from the reserve/retired list to give the Packers time to resolve the situation. That Goodell has waited this long indicates progress is being made toward a resolution.

"The Packers and Brett Favre are continuing their discussions,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail to the Press-Gazette today. “The commissioner preferred to let those discussions continue rather than act on the reinstatement petition today.”

Tampa Bay’s need at quarterback might have increased Thursday, after veteran Jeff Garcia was carted off the practice field with what the team called a calf strain.

As it stands, though, the Jets have the more tenuous quarterback situation. New York was 4-12 last season, but in 2006, coach Eric Mangini’s first season, the Jets went 10-6 and earned a wild-card berth in the AFC playoffs. Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens are competing for the starting job; Pennington never has been the same since suffering a shoulder injury in 2004, and Clemens was ineffective in 10 games (eight starts) last year, throwing 10 interceptions and only five touchdown passes.

Mark Murphy, the Packers’ president and chief executive officer, on Wednesday had a daylong meeting with Favre and Cook in Cook’s Mississippi law office and offered Favre as much as $20 million over 10 years if he stays retired. Favre and Cook have said for nearly a month that Favre wants to be released, a request Thompson has denied.

The Packers, who did not practice today, return to the practice field for the first of two sessions Friday at 8:45 a.m. Favre will not be there.

iam brett favre
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
:sigh:

newdude
07-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh, interesting indeed, good news for Hugh :D, lol.

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
God I hope something happens soon. I don't know how much more of this I can take. If we can deal Brett, get adequate compensation, and if Aaron Rodgers plays well, I would be one happy fricken camper this year.

jetsfan28
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
:)

I would think you guys would rather see this than Favre to the Vikings

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 09:31 PM

That would be ideal. But if we do trade Brett I would like it to be with a team we play, just to see it. That would be wierd to an extreme but fun. Seeing Brett slapping DD on the butt on another team, haha.

Brunner
07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Fun to see Favre on another team? I think not.

augipitcher3
07-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Here is a good question though. Which trade would you do Favre to the Jets for a 5th rounder or Favre to the Vikings for a 2nd rounder? If it came down to that.

robdizzle3
07-31-2008, 10:45 PM

You couldnt be more correct then that.Plus if he goes to the Jets then I can go and watch him play the Dolphins twice a year.In other news the Madden Demo came out and it looks great with Favre on the cover

RichmondMets
07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
there is no doubt that you guys would rather trade him to the Jets for a 5th rounder then to the Vikes for a 2nd rounder.. you have to play the Vikes twice this year... If T-Jack is the QB - you either split or win both.. if Favre is the qb - you might lose both..

Plus - do you Packers fans want to see him playing for the rival? Or would you rather keep him in a nice green jersey all the way out in the AFC.....

NO BRAINER!!

I have always loved Favre... I hope we can figure out a way to get him and then we will see you guys in the Super Bowl!!! Wouldn't THAT be interesting!!

robdizzle3
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
there is no doubt that you guys would rather trade him to the Jets for a 5th rounder then to the Vikes for a 2nd rounder.. you have to play the Vikes twice this year... If T-Jack is the QB - you either split or win both.. if Favre is the qb - you might lose both..

Plus - do you Packers fans want to see him playing for the rival? Or would you rather keep him in a nice green jersey all the way out in the AFC.....

NO BRAINER!!

I have always loved Favre... I hope we can figure out a way to get him and then we will see you guys in the Super Bowl!!! Wouldn't THAT be interesting!!

That would be very interesting and would be one of the most watched Super Bowls in history with the Market in New York and the tradition of Green Bay.If he gets traded I hope its the Jets and they have improved vastly this off-season so Favre should know that they are competitors

wwfd1220
07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
didnt favre already say he had no interest in playing for the jets ??? i thought that was thrown out there already

OnWisconsin2007
07-31-2008, 11:25 PM
makes. me. sick.

TT and the gang better be taking out massive life insurance plans and getting the team jet ready, because if the Packers are not at least a playoff team this year, HEADS WILL ROLL. Literally. I'm talking like mobs of drunk Packer fans carrying pitchforks and torches down the streets of GB.

RcrkllrH2
07-31-2008, 11:30 PM
good

its not with the queens

its not with the bears

just get the freakin thing over with

OnWisconsin2007
07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
good

its not with the queens

its not with the bears

just get the freakin thing over with

If you aren't a Packers fan/don't live in or near WI, you really have no idea the magnitude of the situation.

hughest4
08-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Oh, interesting indeed, good news for Hugh :D, lol.

Whoa, this is not good news at all. I want Brett Favre to be the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers. However this would be the best worst case scenario for me. I would get to see him play every week and he won't be starting for the Vikings. Lets see if it happens

XJW18
08-01-2008, 01:28 AM
My Cousin who is a Jets Fans has always hated/talked crap on the good ole Favre, but now that the jets are rumored to have interest in Favre he has been Praising him every chance he gets!
lol
Bastard!!

RcrkllrH2
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
If you aren't a Packers fan/don't live in or near WI, you really have no idea the magnitude of the situation.

i am a packers fan....i did live in wisconsin....i DO understand the magnitude of the situation

newdude
08-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Whoa, this is not good news at all. I want Brett Favre to be the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers. However this would be the best worst case scenario for me. I would get to see him play every week and he won't be starting for the Vikings. Lets see if it happens

I know that's what I meant on my previous post;)