PDA

View Full Version : Why No Trades?

Dashtary
07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
I seriously don' see why the o's didn't pull off any trades, we could have gotten some prospects for sherrill who was at his highest value, we could have potentially traded roberts to the dodgers for kemp or a couple prospects. I like the fact that we kept huff. But as much as I like guys like sherrill, b-rob, and payton, we should have pulled of a trade, we could have gotten so much value back, i mean b-rob and sherrill are both 30. And what trades do you guys think we will be dealt before the waiver trade deadline?

Khennick
07-31-2008, 11:08 PM
At the deadline no team is willing to part with players on their 25 man roster and are asking price was a young talented shortstop that was major leage ready.No one made an offer so we held stead fast. I applaud Mr. Mcfail and the Orioles because we will get very good deals for them both in the offseason.

Dave P
08-01-2008, 07:34 AM
for sherrill, i would have kept him unless we got a good SS prospect in return and we didnt so good. no use in trading him for prospects we alreayd have in the minors, he's a cheap, proven commodity to the bullpen. everybody is always talking about how good nolan reimold is and luis montanez is tearing up AA too. Plus we have our outfield pretty much set plus a possibility of loewen eventually so why trade roberts for kemp? try to extend roberts in the offseason if not trade him for a good middle infield prospect in return.

i bet jay payton will be traded in august and bradford could be too which is fine, two paychecks for old guys gone and macphail can hopefully get another trachsel to the cubs quality deal done

Eicholtz
08-01-2008, 08:54 AM
If they could have gotten what they wanted they would have traded. They are not just going to trade to trade. Something may happen like the Traschel trade last year but the they also have to field a team for a couple more months too. The offseason is going to be much more active.

Dave P
08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
If they could have gotten what they wanted they would have traded. They are not just going to trade to trade. Something may happen like the Traschel trade last year but the they also have to field a team for a couple more months too. The offseason is going to be much more active.

exactly

pacers
08-02-2008, 08:26 AM
They should have made some deals, but I'm glad they didn't just go and makes some trades for the sake of making trades. I mean really who were they going to trade?

Simpson4Heisman
08-02-2008, 06:45 PM
WHY. There is no point in making a trade if your the Orioles. No top tier shortstop was out there. Huff and Payton could of went anywhere, but no one wanted them. Holding to Roberts and Sherril was one of the best decisions I've seen this team make in years. Let this thing pan out, it's a good team that needs a superstar. We'll find him and if we don't get rid of everything the young pitching will develop and there's a future. We've been bad for so long, we need to learn to stop wanting moves because they clearly do not work.

bigity b
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Holding onto Huff makes me scratch my head. He's playing out of his mind right now. His value has never been higher. He plays multiple positions (1B, 3B, LF, DH) and can warrant some minor leaguers in return. This is the guy who bashed the team and the city of Baltimore at the end of last year, never aplogized for it and makes the most money on the team. Get rid of him while hes hot! I think he's still a waiver-wire trade possibility since he makes $8 mil. Thats $8 mil. that can be set aside to get to that $25 mil. a year deal Texeria wants.

Billy Griffin
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Seems to me the Orioles could have gotten Texiera for Huff. The Angels did it with Casey Kotchman....who's having a parallel year to Huff.
A straight up trade.
I know theat Aubrey is having a good year....but isn't that what you hope for from your vets who could help another team right now? Give up a valuable bargaining chip to build your future team at trading time?
The Orioles blew that one big time.

Thinkb4upost
08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Seems to me the Orioles could have gotten Texiera for Huff. The Angels did it with Casey Kotchman....who's having a parallel year to Huff.
A straight up trade.
I know theat Aubrey is having a good year....but isn't that what you hope for from your vets who could help another team right now? Give up a valuable bargaining chip to build your future team at trading time?
The Orioles blew that one big time.
I joined this forum just for stupid statements like this...

The difference between Huff and Kotchman

Kotchman is younger, under contract for three or four more years, a better all around player...and is believed to be a high ceiling player

Huff is older, scouts don't know if this is a resurgence or just a bleep on the radar...he makes 9 mil a yr...he has reached his ceiling(and his basement for that matter), matter of fact he's older than Texiera

To trade Huff for Texiera straight up...come on!!!

Thank You
Thinkb4upost

bigity b
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
But it is an interesting point - we couldnt package Huff with anyone else (vets like Sherrill, Payton, Mora or young guys like Penn, Cabrera, etc) and make some sort of splash? This roster isn't going to compete this year or next and they decided to keep it intact and wait for the off-season. Hopefully they make moves in the offseason. On that note, i have all the faith in the world in McPhail to shake it up for next year and get even younger.

Thinkb4upost
08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Why would a team want to take Mora and Huff...19 mil in contract for what?...packages usually involve a bunch of young players and/or prospects...Penn and Cabrera(I personally love the guy but...)have very little trade value...

Teams want value for value...its like people look at the roster pick out the players that they don't like and then think they're going to get players that they do like...like (for example) Escobar from the brewers or Tabata from the Yankees(now the Pirates) it just doesn't work that way...

Atleast you
Thoughtb4uposted...its appreciated