PDA

View Full Version : Rant thread for Deadline failure

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
We have at it....

I'll start, What is this crap? Why didn't we do anything?

How are we suppose to contend now? IT's pretty much the Memphis Redbirds winning our games... what is this? :mad:

cardinals45
07-31-2008, 06:17 PM
even the freakin astros made two moves, and they are what? 12 games out of 1st?

ramsrock989
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
How are we suppose to contend now? IT's pretty much the Memphis Redbirds winning our games... what is this? :mad:

All I know is the Memphis Redbirds are apparently significantly better than the Richmond Braves lol... lets get the sweep!!!

But seriously, I'm pretty upset. I'd have been content with just a left reliever.

redbird89
07-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Simmer down. Please.

Of all the lefties that were rumored to be moved, only one was. So it's not like we got outbid. Apparently Fuentes demand was "laughable".

Why would you give up premium prospects for a rental?

It makes no sense!
We still CAN contend. Most teams didn't make a big splash today, even those in contention. If Wainwright comes back healthy in a few weeks, we'd have an extra starter anyway.

And for some of these guys it was just WAY to costly.

We CAN contend. We've been contending all year.

So, please, back away from the ledge.

If the season really is over then just quit watching, quit complaining, and do something else with your time. I'm glad (or hopeful) that no players think like you. Because if they did, we would be in the like 5th now.

All season people have been saying we would be maybe .500. "Oh, they'll fall off" "Oh they have no talent" "Oh, the Cubs and Brewers are just too strong."

We have a dogfight on our hands. But is it over? Not by a long shot.

Vegasguy80
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM
How do I know that you started this thread? I am not shocked! Give it a rest.

We don't need a "bad mouth your team" thread. It is over with. Live with it and support the team. Actually, you didn't support them in the preseason, why do it now?

birddaug
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Your probably right, but man for man the cubbies and brewers are sure going to be tough to beat this year. Never know..we still have quite a few games left with the cubs...think wild card is our best chance

redbird89
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Wild Card is fine with me. As long as we make the playoffs.

Kyle, if you're that mad, just walk away. Never watch a Cardinal game again.

I'm sure your life would be happier and less stressful.

But you probably can't do it.

BradJackson
07-31-2008, 06:34 PM
especially after that brewers beating today :p
were a shoe-in for at least the wild card. haha

stlworldchamps
07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
how many lefties are on waivers anyway?

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 06:48 PM
How do I know that you started this thread? I am not shocked! Give it a rest.

We don't need a "bad mouth your team" thread. It is over with. Live with it and support the team. Actually, you didn't support them in the preseason, why do it now?

first off, I was one of the few that said we would be better than last year and possibly over .500.

I can bad mouth my team alllll I want. thios is garbage.

Stop putting words into my mouth by the way. It really kinda pisses me off

redbird89
07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Kyle, how about you chill out? This won't do any good.

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
it's actually making my ****** day better, why not?

cardinals45
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Simmer down. Please.

Of all the lefties that were rumored to be moved, only one was. So it's not like we got outbid. Apparently Fuentes demand was "laughable".

Why would you give up premium prospects for a rental?

It makes no sense!
We still CAN contend. Most teams didn't make a big splash today, even those in contention. If Wainwright comes back healthy in a few weeks, we'd have an extra starter anyway.

And for some of these guys it was just WAY to costly.

We CAN contend. We've been contending all year.

So, please, back away from the ledge.

If the season really is over then just quit watching, quit complaining, and do something else with your time. I'm glad (or hopeful) that no players think like you. Because if they did, we would be in the like 5th now.

All season people have been saying we would be maybe .500. "Oh, they'll fall off" "Oh they have no talent" "Oh, the Cubs and Brewers are just too strong."

We have a dogfight on our hands. But is it over? Not by a long shot.

i would have loved to have fuentes. but yea, the asking price was too high for a rental. but you couldnt get anyone? not even grabow, ohman, rhodes i mean any decent lefty. you cant expect to win with your only lefty being villone

Tkais9009
07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
nothing was done and it was gay.

the only good thing about blowing 10 more saves by the end of the year (which we will) and losing the wildcard by like .5 games is going to be coming back to this thread and trash everyone who thinks "its ok" that we did squat at this deadline. Its rediculus.

redbird89
07-31-2008, 07:14 PM
But a lot of those relievers NOBODY picked up.

Doesn't that tell you that they were too pricey?

cardinals45
07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
But a lot of those relievers NOBODY picked up.

Doesn't that tell you that they were too pricey?

well im sure they werent asking for rasmus...it wouldnt have even taken a top 10 prospect in the organization. i mean look what the marlins gave for rhodes.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/players/cards/?pl_id=33601

hes only 22..but still. i mean they couldnt have given up parisi or something?

redbird89
07-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Maybe. We really don't know what teams were asking.

Apparently Fuentes required 3 top-tier pitchers.

cardinals45
07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Maybe. We really don't know what teams were asking.

Apparently Fuentes required 3 top-tier pitchers.

the asking price for him and sherrill were a freaking joke. maybe we will get someone in august..but villone as the only lefty does not work

Schuyler_15
08-01-2008, 12:29 AM
the asking price for him and sherrill were a freaking joke. maybe we will get someone in august..but villone as the only lefty does not work

I'd rather find a righty with good LH vs. RH splits then watch a LOOGY suck it up in there.

STLCards002
08-01-2008, 01:19 AM
I understand that its fun to have your team in the headlines and making a move. But we did the right thing by not risking the future for the present. Because presently we are in good shape and have a great chance of making it to the postseason and doing well. Go look at the threads made after we got Mulder and see how people were excited about that deal....hasn't turned out to well for us has it? We have Carpenter and Wainwright coming back.

Carp
Wainwright
Lohse
Wellemeyer
Looper

That's a badass rotation, along with a pretty good offense. I always say this, but for some reason I feel like alot of people don't realize that this is not MLB 2008 for PS3. You can't trade players like you change socks, its not that easy.

crowz
08-01-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm not pissed but I'm not happy either. With all the talent that got thrown around there sure wasn’t a lot being given for it. You'll notice one thing about all of the teams trading...there in it for the playoffs and most of them all had great teams already...but they know upgrading the slightest bit at certain positions can change games and win series. If you have problems with 1 run games...give up a Dunc. and Reyes and get Manny who could in one swing turn a 1 run lead into a 2+ run lead

* Yankees - pretty much stole Nady and Marte in my mind
* White Sox -Griffey went for very little
* Marlins - Rhodes didn’t require much
* Cubs - Harden is worth twice what the Cubs gave for him.
* Dodgers - Manny. They just had to give up Laroche and Morris?..Dunc and Reyes would’ve worked seeing how Pittsburg had interest in them
* Dodgers - Casey Blake who has played outfield, first, 3rd and wanted to try 2nd at one time ( not a great fit for us but still)
*Diamondbacks -Rauch could’ve been taken for a Brenden Ryan caliber player or just above that
* Brewers -Durham...I'd take Durham at 2nd and Miles at SS, would’ve been a improvement over Izturis

Plus there’s the fact there were sooo many people saying we were for sure going to have to do something and planned on doing something...which we shouldn't of listened to but we did and that only caused us to dream and hope. Which made today hurt...at one time we were rumored with
Holliday, Bay, Manny, Bonds, Renteria, Guzmann, Rauch, Fuentes, Rhodes, Dunn, Will Ohman, AJ Burnett, That little whimsical hope of Halladay, JJ Putz, Sherrill, Grabow, Jack Taschner, Mahay, Guardado, Washburn,

To see the players that did go, go...hurt because I know we had enough to get 1 or 2 of them plus we saw SOOO many players that could've helped just float away. I know this team is fully capable, but why not up the odds? Even if its for one year. I think we've proved in the past if you get to the playoffs you have a shot. So why not go all out right now? We wouldn’t of had to give up the whole farm system or any untouchables from the current roster. Dunc, Reyes, Thompson, Anderson, Ryan, Mathers..etc...the type of guys we could win with or with out down the road. We can't have ankiel,dunc,skip,ludwick,mather,rasmus, stavinoha, and barton all next year...so why let them walk, sit them in the minors or trade them in the spring instead of getting something now for hopes of playoffs. Instead we will watch guys walk because we can't sign them and we will make trades that will help next year...but are useless now. For all we know the Astros will pull out the guns next year...you never know..thats why you play for the present without risking your entire future...Whats done is done, We will beat out the Cubbies and Brewers…. I just wish we would’ve had at least one extra guy to throw out there the next time we see the Cubs and Brewers…They expect Carp and Waino…but they would of never seen a Manny or Holliday coming…lol, we could’ve had a potential 2-6 consisting of 30+ homers and 100+ RBI’s a piece.

bpmd2k
08-01-2008, 03:54 AM
The worst thing about this deadline is that Harden went for nothing. The Brewers ARE NOT going to make the playoffs, they are too cocky and sheets is a headcase at times. But the Cubs actually have a shot at winning the division and advancing in the playoffs. So when they didn't give anything of value and got a very solid pitcher, it makes you wonder where the **** management was. I still believe that if we would have fixed our pitching situation or made our offense better, we would have won the division.

Now lets take a look at what we actually did... Nothing. So its good to see that we still have Rasmus, but I mean holy ****, can we not even manage to get will ohman? In my mind, if you have a prospect that your scouts think is a lock to make the majors and have an impact, they should be nearly untouchable. But if there is a doubt, you should get the proven player via the trade. I can honestly understand why they didn't want to add An OFer because our OF is crowded if Duncan was healthy and playing... But now that Dunk is gone for the season, We definitely could have used a Bay or Manny or Holliday. So in my mind the only 2 locks to make the roster in our entire system are Rasmus and Chris Perez. Everyone else should have been fair game to get us a marquee player. But I would have to think that this isn't totally Mo's fault, and I will place most of the blame on Cheap *** Dewitt. We will have a payroll next year of like 70m I think, so if we do not spend anything in the FA Market, I seriously will try to find the Dewitt's house and demand the money back from the games that I have went to over the years. Because I went to see a competing team not a poser as ***** team that is just going to waste the prime years of the Best Pure hitter the game has ever seen. A Pujols comes around maybe once in a lifetime. You have to go all in over that time and be a rebuilder whenever Pujols is sipping margaritas in the the dominican.

I would also like to put the rest the myth that Fuentes is a "Rental Player". Lets say that Fuentes walks at the end of the year? WE GET OUR PROSPECTS BACK BCUZ HE IS GOING TO BE A TYPE A FREE AGENT. Meaning we get 2 first rounders. So please stop saying that Fuentes is a rental unless if by rental you mean we give up a couple prospects to get new ones next year.

eyememine
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
nothing was done and it was gay.

the only good thing about blowing 10 more saves by the end of the year (which we will) and losing the wildcard by like .5 games is going to be coming back to this thread and trash everyone who thinks "its ok" that we did squat at this deadline. Its rediculus.

How can we lose the WC by .5 games? That's impossible.

Anyways I am used to the Cards being in the playoff hunt but after the 05/06 offseason I have been expecting a rebuild of sorts (yes I know we won it in 06). I think this year, even though we are in contention, is a bit of a rebuilding year. What's the point of losing the NLDS this year and kinda sucking for the next few when we can maybe miss the playoffs this year and contend for the WS in the next 2-5?

rapjuicer06
08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
you know you need to do something when your god damn manager said you need to do something. yay IF wainwright comes back healthy we'll a better STARTING rotation. oh wait, our STARTING rotation wasn't the problem now was it? its our damn bullpen that has a major problem. unless our starting rotation goes 9 innings the rest of the year, theres going to be at least 10-15 more blown saves. thats not me being negative, thats me being realistic. when you lead the league in blown saves, shouldn't you try to acquire a hmmm reliever? no, that makes too much damn sense. and who said fuentes has to be a damn rental player? resign the ****ing guy, then he is no ****ing rental.

redbird89
08-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Anyways I am used to the Cards being in the playoff hunt but after the 05/06 offseason I have been expecting a rebuild of sorts (yes I know we won it in 06). I think this year, even though we are in contention, is a bit of a rebuilding year. What's the point of losing the NLDS this year and kinda sucking for the next few when we can maybe miss the playoffs this year and contend for the WS in the next 2-5?

Good point. Once everyone plays 162 games, there are no .5 games.

Did you guys not see the Fox Sports post that said we were winners at the trade deadline? You don't need to make a big splash to be successful. Good grief.

freydoggy
08-01-2008, 11:51 AM
We have at it....

I'll start, What is this crap? Why didn't we do anything?

Its like I said before, our so called GM is a big *** kisser, and is doing what our so called wonderful ownership is telling him to do !!! :mad:

redbird89
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
*sigh*

This thread is just fraught with people who really don't know what they're talking about.

Look, getting a reliever probably would've been a good thing, but apparently the asking price for a lot of these guys was just too much. Other teams didn't pick them up either. Doesn't that tell you something?

I would not want to make a trade like that if it required giving up a premier young pitcher. It's not worth it. Also, our farm system isn't deep yet. Some of the better players we probably couldn't have gotten anyway.

Even when in contention, you can't give away good prospects for rentals every year. Eventually it will crash in on you. Sometimes it's better to stand pat and do nothing. Would I have liked a lefty reliever? Sure! But we CAN still win this division without one. And complaining about it after the fact will do no good.

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Kyle step away from the ledge

JustBlaze07
08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
we will probably do what we usually do and acqurie someone from a wavier trade which can happen after the trade deadline

JustBlaze07
08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
*sigh*
Even when in contention, you can't give away good prospects for rentals every year. Eventually it will crash in on you. Sometimes it's better to stand pat and do nothing. Would I have liked a lefty reliever? Sure! But we CAN still win this division without one. And complaining about it after the fact will do no good.

like redbird89 said dont you guys remeber when we had walt jocketty and he wasnt affaird to make a deal that lost us alot of prospects let me just let u know of who we could have dan haren, daric barton we would have a powerful lineup and starting rotation if we would have stand pat on trades but we gave up all of our prospects and now we have no one we can trade if we wanted to.

redbird89
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Sometimes you can make big trades and give up prospects.

But we're not there. We're rebuilding. Would you rather give up a pitcher that might be ready in 2009 or 2010 for (at most probably) 30 innings of a reliever this year?

crowz
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Don’t insult peoples knowledge of the game by saying they don’t know what there talking about. Everyone has there opinion and say, just because its not the same opinion you have doesn’t mean they don’t know what there talking about. None of us are gm’s or managers so nothing we say will effect the outcome of this team. The post on Fox Sports is just another opinion, I’ve heard positive and negatives so it means nothing to me, Some said the Cardinals needed to make a trade for at least a reliever and many said a bat to,…again that means nothing to me. Its just there opinions, the same opinions that said the 06 Cardinals would not make the playoffs and the same that said Cards would be lucky to finish in the top 3 if not 4 this year.

This is my opinion, Rauch was given for a young middle infielder and Dodgers gave up Laroche and Morris for Manny…that’s it. We could’ve had both of them for Ryan, Reyes, Dunc and maybe Mathers or Anderson at the most if you compare it to what others gave for these players. Figuring Pittsburg was rumored to like Dunc and Reyes and it only cost Laroche and Morris….I’m sure Manny would’ve been possible….and I bet Mathers, Anderson, Thompson or Ryan would’ve been just as good as what the Diamondbacks gave for Rauch and I wouldn’t doubt some of those guys wouldn’t of also got us a Rhodes. Would losing those guys destroy our future?

I also hate how everyone’s talking about giving up prospects for rentals is horrible…..There’s 3 rentals we got in the past that stand out….there names are Mark MGwire, Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen… All traded for , all were free agents the following year….we obviously signed them all. I also remember people weren’t happy giving up Bud Smith and Kent Bottenfield because a lot of people thought they were great. Imagine if we wouldn’t of gave Bud up and gotten Scott Rolen…or Bottenfield for Edmonds? To answer your question about giving up a pitcher that could start in 2010 for a reliever that will pitch 30 innings… I would first give up those we won’t need, Anderson, Reyes, a hand full of the million outfielders we got going, Dunc, Ryan, etc. then if it game down to…we also want one of your future pitching prospects.. (which it didn’t really require for Manny and Rauch) I would think…a guy that might not be ready till 09-10 or ever, for a for sure thing, that we get to have come in to the club and have Dunc and Larussa get there hands on to see if he’s our kind of guy, we can say “Hey we want you, what will it take to get you to stay?” Giving up prospects for a guy to come in to your club for only 2 months is going to show that player you really want him and then if you build a relationship with that player in those 2 months…you just upped your odds on resigning him. If he's not your guy or he walks you get 2 draft picks that could go to new starting pitchers. We once gave up 3 pitching prospects for Mark McGwire..they never turned out and what did Mark do…..

Again i'm not saying anyones wrong but thats the way I see it,This was the way I always looked at chances and risk

To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself ~ Soren Kierkegaard

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take. ~Wayne Gretzky

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first. ~Frederick B. Wilcox

Tkais9009
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Good point. Once everyone plays 162 games, there are no .5 games.

Did you guys not see the Fox Sports post that said we were winners at the trade deadline? You don't need to make a big splash to be successful. Good grief.

both of ya need to shut the hell up. you knew what i meant. we lose by one game. who gives a ****. my point is that if we do, you better not come to the boards for a while cause im bringing all this back up if we do

nstachowski
08-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Yea were still in it, but not doing anything at the deadline really decreased our chances since both the Cubs and Brewers got significantly better.

Tkais9009
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
like redbird89 said dont you guys remeber when we had walt jocketty and he wasnt affaird to make a deal that lost us alot of prospects let me just let u know of who we could have dan haren, daric barton we would have a powerful lineup and starting rotation if we would have stand pat on trades but we gave up all of our prospects and now we have no one we can trade if we wanted to.

Barton was easy to part with. where would he play if he stayed.... the OF. sorry but that makes our problem worse

cardinals45
08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Barton was easy to part with. where would he play if he stayed.... the OF. sorry but that makes our problem worse

agreed. i had no problem giving up barton, he wasnt part of our future plans. the problem i have is he was a top 30 prospect coming into the year, and just imagine what type of return we could have gotten for him. i really dont even care that we gave calero. the one that digusts me is haren. but again, look at the brilliant trades we have made in the past. the 3 guys we gave for mcgwire sucked. big time. bud smith, polanco and timlin for rolen? rolen was an mvp caliber player at the time. kennedy and bottenfield for edmonds? every trades not going to work out amazing, and the A's got the best of us.

Tkais9009
08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
agrerd. i had no problem giving up barton, he wasnt part of our future plans. the problem i have is he was a top 30 prospect coming into the year, and just imagine what type of return we could have gotten for him. i really dont even care that we gave calero. the one that digusts me is haren. but again, look at the brilliant trades we have made in the past. the 3 guys we gave for mcgwire sucked. big time. bud smith, polanco and timlin for rolen? rolen was an mvp caliber player at the time. kennedy and bottenfield for edmonds? every trades not going to work out amazing, and the A's got the best of us.

i could not of said that better myself

redbird89
08-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Yea were still in it, but not doing anything at the deadline really decreased our chances since both the Cubs and Brewers got significantly better.

I would've liked to acquire somebody at the deadline.

But if it didn't make sense it just didn't make sense.

BradJackson
08-01-2008, 04:39 PM

but we get significantly better in Carpenter and Wainwright coming back.
to me. Getting Carpenter back is like trading for either one of those pitchers the cubs and brewers picked up.

bpmd2k
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
We can probably just close this thread because this is the truth... Everyone was asking for a lot for their talent this year. Mozielak is over valuing our specs some. So the gap was so huge from what each side thought, it was probably pretty hard to get a deal done. But this deadline dud was not Mo's fault as I am relatively sure that Dewitt would have **** himself if we would have added a $4 extra value meal from mcdonalds to our payroll because he is a cheap son of a *****. THE END.

redbird89
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
You guys act like we had the prospects to get anybody. That's just not the case. You can't just wave a magic wand and make it happen, unless you give up premium prospects.

What if you give up a premium prospect to get a rental? The prospects may get hurt, they may end up never amounting to anything. But they may become great. That's a chance you take. I'm glad Mo didn't take that chance. We finally, after a number of years, have a halfway decent farm system. Let's not trade it away.

And the Ohman deal, apparently the Rays were in on it, too. If anybody could get Ohman, it would be them, because they have the prospects to do it. We probably did not, unless we gave up a good prospect.

bpmd2k
08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
You guys act like we had the prospects to get anybody. That's just not the case. You can't just wave a magic wand and make it happen, unless you give up premium prospects.

What if you give up a premium prospect to get a rental? The prospects may get hurt, they may end up never amounting to anything. But they may become great. That's a chance you take. I'm glad Mo didn't take that chance. We finally, after a number of years, have a halfway decent farm system. Let's not trade it away.

And the Ohman deal, apparently the Rays were in on it, too. If anybody could get Ohman, it would be them, because they have the prospects to do it. We probably did not, unless we gave up a good prospect.

Ohman isn't even that good. We just need a body to fill out the bullpen from the left side that will have an ERA under 4.5. If we had to give up a prospect so what, they basically would take whatever for him I think. Ohman makes 1.6m (Prorated for 2 months is what we would pay) this year so salary probably shouldn't have been an issue, although Dewitt was probably penny pinching.

Also, lets take a look at our situation. What positions do we need prospects at?

1B- No
2B- Yes
3B- Not really
SS- Yes (eh, who knows about Kozma)
C- No
OF-No
SP-Yes/Maybe (Wainwright and Carp are locked up, Maybe Lohse, etc.)

So what specs do we have in our system? OF, 1B, 3B and C the only positions we don't need. So, what the hell is the big deal if we traded some of them? Molina, Pujols, and our OF is pretty much locked down for a while and Glaus has another year on his contract plus Brett Wallace. So, If we traded an OF or 2 or a C or mediocre sp, who cares. We only have a limited window w/pujols. It is only once in a lifetime a Pujols comes around. Make a push while you have the best pure hitter in our lifetime.

rapjuicer06
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM

how come we can't resign anyone? why is it if we would of gotten anyone, it would of been just a rental? if were going to give up some players, wouldn't we want to resign them? uhh yea. so enough with the rental crap. what do you want to bet that manny resigns with the dodgers? uhhh cuz their not ******** and will resign a player that they went out and got.

cardinals45
08-02-2008, 12:53 AM
but we get significantly better in Carpenter and Wainwright coming back.
to me. Getting Carpenter back is like trading for either one of those pitchers the cubs and brewers picked up.

except CC and harden are at full strength and have been there for a month already...

cardinals45
08-02-2008, 12:55 AM
how come we can't resign anyone? why is it if we would of gotten anyone, it would of been just a rental? if were going to give up some players, wouldn't we want to resign them? uhh yea. so enough with the rental crap. what do you want to bet that manny resigns with the dodgers? uhhh cuz their not ******** and will resign a player that they went out and got.

do you really think the cardinals would have resigned fuentes for 8 million bucks a year over the next 3 or 4 seasons?

eyememine
08-02-2008, 07:19 AM
both of ya need to shut the hell up. you knew what i meant. we lose by one game. who gives a ****. my point is that if we do, you better not come to the boards for a while cause im bringing all this back up if we do

Chill out holmes no worries.

The thing is about trading specs is that the players we get (ML players) is they have to be paid. There is a lot of money going into that and say we pick up a contract that sucks or something, it leaves us straped for a while. Just a point

Kyle man
08-02-2008, 08:10 AM
We probably could have gotten Bay with out giving up Rasmus.... which completely pisses me off because we don't have very good protection for Albert.

Our bullpen is pretty much a mix of old guys missing the strike zone. (outside of Springer)

Our rotation is fine IMO.

SS and 2nd base..... it's just a giant blackhole there. Except for Miles. Miles should be starting fultime by now IMO aswell.

rapjuicer06
08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
do you really think the cardinals would have resigned fuentes for 8 million bucks a year over the next 3 or 4 seasons?

if you gave up some good prospects to get him, you bet your *** i will

birddaug
08-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Your thoughts...based on rhetoric from Mo over past year I don't see them making big moves next year except for maybe a SP and closer...I can't help but think Glaus is gone after 09..they will want to see Freese or wallace first. Shortstop will want to see Kozma or Barden, closer will want to see want to see what perez can do..starting pitching who knows??

I hope I am wrong, but sure seems like they want to see what all the prospects can do before they start making big moves an adding payroll? I am with you on previous comments..payroll is going down and they like it that way. Would like your comments on why they are unwilling to part with Anderson with Molina tied up for the foreseeable future?

I sure hope I am wrong!

bpmd2k
08-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Your thoughts...based on rhetoric from Mo over past year I don't see them making big moves next year except for maybe a SP and closer...I can't help but think Glaus is gone after 09..they will want to see Freese or wallace first. Shortstop will want to see Kozma or Barden, closer will want to see want to see what perez can do..starting pitching who knows??

I hope I am wrong, but sure seems like they want to see what all the prospects can do before they start making big moves an adding payroll? I am with you on previous comments..payroll is going down and they like it that way. Would like your comments on why they are unwilling to part with Anderson with Molina tied up for the foreseeable future?

I sure hope I am wrong!

I will make a post on exactly how much the cardinals payroll will be next year. I made one in the offseason this year illustrating how much money we will have in 2009. I will also go into 2010. But as of right now, there will probably be a mini-riot in downtown St. Louis is some serious money is not spent on quality players in the offseason. The biggest Free Agent we have signed in the past say 10 years, is Jason Isringhausen. Now, the point you bring up about Mozielak wanting to see what the prospects will do should lend it self to us spending money in free agency. The reasoning I have behind this is

1. Rookies are Cheap @ $390,000 a season as the rookie salary for the 1st 3 seasons they are in the bigs. This leaves us massive payroll space especially if the rookies have a decent impact.

2. If you want to see what the specs can do, you can't trade them right? So, as we saw at the deadline we kept all of our specs. But you can't be solely reliant upon prospects and have a legit shot at the postseason. So, to keep your specs and have a good team you have to hit the free agent market. And with our payroll at a quick estimate in my head of about 60m next year, if we were to go up to 90m which is about what our payroll is this year, we will have 30m to spend on the market. Which could net us a shitload of talent. 1 top notch SP, A marque bat and a power arm for the pen.

So, I would forecast us spending in the offseason.

I will get the contract and payroll situation up sometime in the next day or so, so we can all see how much money we will have in the offseason to work with.