PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong, Rautins both returning to Raptors broadcasting roles

ink
07-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Armstrong, Rautins both returning to Raptors broadcasting roles
Posted: July 29, 2008, 6:10 PM by Eric Koreen
Basketball, GTA, NBA

The Toronto Raptors have worked out the details regarding their television broadcasts and have divvied up duties for the two game analysts.

Both Jack Armstrong and Leo Rautins will be returning to their roles as analysts, with the distribution of games split up a little differently with Rogers Sportsnet out of the basketball business. Armstrong will replace Rautins as the analyst on TSN, with Rautins serving as a studio analyst alongside Rod Black on the network. Armstrong will also serve as "an insider" on TSN's SportsCentre.

Rautins, meanwhile, will continued to serve as the lead analyst on both CBC and The Score. Both men will work along side play-by-play man Matt Devlin, who was hired last month to replace Chuck Swirsky, who is leaving Toronto to become the radio voice of the Chicago Bulls.

As well, both Armstrong and Rautins will work on various roles on Raptors NBA TV, including contributing to the network's pre- and post-game shows. There will be no games shown exclusive on Raptors NBA TV in the 2008-09 season, though, after it showed 12 games last year, with Armstrong as the lead analyst.

The NBA schedule has not been released yet, although it is usually announced early in August. The television schedule should follow closely.

Source: Post (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/07/29/nba-armstrong-rautins-both-returning-to-raptors-broadcasting-roles.aspx)

Musical Tempo
07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Compared to Chuck Swirsky, how good is Matt Devlin?

Is he a entertaining fellow like Chuck was, with his "Salami and Cheese", and his unique nick names for players.

marvILLous
07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
even though i have raptors tv, its nice to see that no games will be exclusively on raps tv now. i didnt have a problem with that but i remember alot of ppl complaining because they didnt have raps tv.

deaner
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm with musical tempo on this... anyone have a link to hear Matt Devlin call a game? This IS the biggest factor[/U] for me to enjoy games next year... without a doubt... Matt could ruin my 08-09 raptors experience.

Halladay
07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not looking forward to hearing Leo again...his arrogance and sort of cockyness is annoying to me.

Dragan
07-31-2008, 08:29 PM
great. now if they could only fire Leo and have the coach be at every game. That would be teh icing on teh cake.

dirtybird
07-31-2008, 09:26 PM
I like Chuck for his enthusiasm, but the catch phrases were starting to get excessive for me. I'm kind of disappointed that the Fan doesn't have audio clips of Devlin's game calling.

If the trend is to get less and less Leo and more and more Jack, that's something I'm definitely for. The only real shame is that I think that the SCORE does the best job producing a game (note: I don't get HD).

Musical Tempo
08-01-2008, 01:38 AM
I like Chuck for his enthusiasm, but the catch phrases were starting to get excessive for me. I'm kind of disappointed that the Fan doesn't have audio clips of Devlin's game calling.

If the trend is to get less and less Leo and more and more Jack, that's something I'm definitely for. The only real shame is that I think that the SCORE does the best job producing a game (note: I don't get HD).

The Score is definitely the home of the hardcore. Half-time on TSN, CBC, & Sportnet are horrible.
#1 they have hockey highlight around the league WTF???.
#2 They really don't analyze the game from head to toe like the score does.
#3 I get so sick of their half-time I change the channel and probably miss the first 5 min of the third quarter.

However I did notice Jack did more TSN games while Leo was on the Score, and Sportnet.

I don't have Raptor's TV but their broadcast are probably the best, considering it meant for the team strictly.

_Sn1P3r_
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I wonder if the broadcasters will say the 'salami and cheese' line to keep it alive or not say it anymore because it's not the same when it's not from Swirsky's mouth.

travesy3
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I better not here Salami and Cheese come out of anyone's mouth, especially Leo. I hate Leo, I feel like he always gave Chuck a hard time about bringing out the Salami and Cheese. And the new guy, I don't think I am going to like him, he seems to generic to me.

And the first time I heard him talk(JO press conf) he said he was looking forward to being in front of a crowd that may get to see 18-20 wins this year(at home), then nervously corrected himself saying 25 or more. He obviously doesn't have much expectations.

I also loved Chuck's homer persona, he lived and breathed Raptors basketball.

Fion
08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
rautins was an asshat, i never cared for him. but jack armstrong is good.

Tom Stone
08-05-2008, 07:29 AM
They should hire Cabby on the street.....he's funny ........he'll come up with good nick names and create his own slogans.....Matt devlin can call the play by play....but cabbie should do most commentary.

da1nonly
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM
nice suggestion... i also like cabbie... not sure what he'd sound like calling a game... but he's really creative and has a very unique style that is different from the standard generic commentators...