PDA

View Full Version : who thinks we should have done the a-rod trade?

Sportfan
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
we would have had a-rod and ordonez. we would have to part with manny lester and nomar and scott williamson. (there might be other palyers but i can't remember. what do you think?

yaowowrocket11
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Doesn't matter now.........

ZHawk1123
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Pointless...

Close?

Sportfan
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
how? if we made the trade at least one of them would stay with us.

quiksilver2491
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
We won 2 World Series from having Manny here, he was the WS MVP of the first one in 2004, Lester won the deciding game of the 2nd World Series in 2007. Also don't forget Orlando Cabrera, he was a key player in that 2004 playoff run and with a traded Nomar he wouldn't have ever come to Boston. Anyone who is stupid enought to still wish this deal should have happened doesn't understand baseball.

RSF1977
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
It was a done deal wasn't it? I thought the Mlb shot it down due to money issues?

sboyajian
07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
we would have had a-rod and ordonez. we would have to part with manny lester and nomar and scott williamson. (there might be other palyers but i can't remember. what do you think?

Technically we did do the ARod deal.. unfortunately the MLBPA rejected it because Alex took less than they thought he should have.

Tragedy
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
The bigger question should be "Should we have signed A-Rod in the offseason" this past year, rather than the trade years ago.

Most people said no to A-Rod after this past season because we thought we had Ramirez for 2008, 2009, and 2010. Now we'll likely have no big booper behind Ortiz after 2008.

If I knew all of this would have happened with Ramirez, I think I seriously consider offering A-Rod the contract he wants and then trade Ramirez for whatever you can get last December.

BoSox2212
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
We won 2 world series with and because of Manny. Arod cannot hit in October. Just because we are upset with Manny now, do not discount what he has already done here; compare it to what ARod has done in NY (Nothing).

PHX-SOXFAN
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
We won 2 world series with and because of Manny. Arod cannot hit in October. Just because we are upset with Manny now, do not discount what he has already done here; compare it to what ARod has done in NY (Nothing).

my thoughts exactly. we would be better off at this moment but would have zero world series titles to show for it after a-rod hit his usual .200 in the postseason

Petertherock
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Manny is going to be useless the rest of the year. He will "get hurt" or he will just stand there and watch balls go by and strike out and just play like crap. And you know what? There isn't a thing the Red Sox can do about it. He will bring the rest of the club house down because they will get sick of his bull crap. At this point I would take a used ball bag for Manny just to get rid of him.

Sportfan
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM

you think nomar manny lester and cabrera are better than ordonez and a-rod. oh yeah we wouldn't have given away the best all-around player hanley rameriez

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
pointless to even discuss. a-rod is a tool bag and a postseason choker. we have 2 ws....enuff said.

Sportfan
07-31-2008, 07:58 PM
my thoughts exactly. we would be better off at this moment but would have zero world series titles to show for it after a-rod hit his usual .200 in the postseason

that's because ny media goes crazy. he wouldn't have that much pressure with us

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 08:14 PM
every where a-rod has gone, he hasn't down jack crap....so the media frenzy didn't really make in impact in his poor performance in the off season. a-rod is a choke artist, pretending to be a post season threat.

WilymoPena
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
I hate Arod. No way would i ever want him here. I used to like him but the more i hear about him the more i hate him.

Lincecum4CY
07-31-2008, 09:53 PM

Look at it this way, Arod has yet to bring a world series championship to NY in the 4+ years he has been in NY, most likely will be 5 unless the Yankees somehow pull of a miracle. Since Arod went to the Yankees, Boston has won 2 world series rings.

TDbank24
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Yea, when we almost got A-rod i was so excited. When the deal fell apart because of money issues i was really unhappy for awhile. It worked out in the end 2 world series with Manny. I still would of done it though, A-rod is the best player in the league. You can talk about how he doesn't perform in the playoffs. Who has performed for the Yankees in the playoffs since A-rod has been there though? You can't put it all on him

For everyone who says they now hate A-rod. Why? Because he went to the Yankees? I mean who cares, he's a great player and until he is proven to be on roids or something i don't see why you can really hate him. If he came to Boston everyone would of loved him

Gangreenseason
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
ramirez was the world series mvp in 2004 when
the sox won their first world series in 86 years and wasn't he the guy who
guranteed last year that they would win the alcs after being down 3-1 and he
came through for them. How soon John Henry forgets, it is just funny to me. I think that the sox needed to give ramirez a bit more respect than that. It is funny how close they were to trading A Rod for Manny in 2004 and how manny won the world series aginst the cardinals for them and A Rod has been well..... the jury is still out

Ramirez will likely go to the hall in a red sox hat and for them to treat him this way in his last year was pretty low.

redsox_rallycry
08-01-2008, 05:06 AM
i read that a-rods' nickname was the cooler for his ability to make a ballclub cold when he arrives and hot when he leaves.... sure he's a great hitter, but he's a d-bag. remember in 04' when he slapped bronson arroyo's tag out like a little b****? no thank you

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 05:16 AM
No one is going to convince me of this other wise.

Manny Ramirez is a HOF player. But Alex Rodriguez if arguably the best player in the MLB. Nomar is nothing right now and Mags is dominating now.

People can say we'd have no '04 championship, but I disagree. Having A-rod on this team would have brought us a championship. No doubt in my mind.

Han-Ram-SS
Pedroia-2B
Ortiz-DH
A-Rod-3B
Mags-LF
Drew-RF
Youk-1B
Ellsbury-CF
Tek-C

Dice-K
Lester
Wake
Buchholz
Masterson

And we probably sign an ACE FA pitcher.

Looking at that team there is no way I can say no.

Tankjeep
08-01-2008, 06:42 AM
bostonfan 53, what's the point in arguing against or for your case....it didn't happen and it won't happen.

gangreenseason, you don't know what you are talking about. disrespect? manny brought all this crap onto himself....period. boston has dealt with this guy for years and just because now they want to part with him because his arse decided not to play hard in his last year of his contract? puhlease.

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Who thinks we should not have traded BABE RUTH?

BoSox2212
08-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Who thinks we should not have traded BABE RUTH?

If we had not traded Ruth, we may not have won in '04 and '07. I think it was a good trade.

i am bob
08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
No cuz w/o Manny we do not win those rings.

papipapsmanny
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Manny Ramirez is a HOF player. But Alex Rodriguez if arguably the best player in the MLB. Nomar is nothing right now and Mags is dominating now.

People can say we'd have no '04 championship, but I disagree. Having A-rod on this team would have brought us a championship. No doubt in my mind.

Han-Ram-SS
Pedroia-2B
Ortiz-DH
A-Rod-3B
Mags-LF
Drew-RF
Youk-1B
Ellsbury-CF
Tek-C

Dice-K
Lester
Wake
Buchholz
Masterson

yes masterson, buchholz, and elssbury would have helped us win a world series before they were even drafted, and matsuzaka before he was posted:rolleyes:

the fact is u have no argument because the sox have won 2 WS, and now u just took your chance to sound right

dumbass thread

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
that's because ny media goes crazy. he wouldn't have that much pressure with us

are you serious???? Boston is not the Royals buddy just a big a spotlight as NY come on now.

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Han-Ram-SS
Pedroia-2B
Ortiz-DH
A-Rod-3B
Mags-LF
Drew-RF
Youk-1B
Ellsbury-CF
Tek-C

Dice-K
Lester
Wake
Buchholz
Masterson

hahahahahahahaha

wow ive highlighted your problems here buddy

so i was wondering if you thought they all would come earlier if we traded Manny.

ahahahhaahah so funny :rolleyes:

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
i read that a-rods' nickname was the cooler for his ability to make a ballclub cold when he arrives and hot when he leaves.... sure he's a great hitter, but he's a d-bag. remember in 04' when he slapped bronson arroyo's tag out like a little b****? no thank you

definetly made that up yourself lol...not funny but we got the point lol

Run Gardner Run
08-01-2008, 02:19 PM
are you serious???? Boston is not the Royals buddy just a big a spotlight as NY come on now.

Its big, but not as big as NY

Jeremy5150
08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
A-Rod is a post-season choke artist. Why would you want this guy on your team in the World Series???

Seriously, look at how his average drops in the post...

Tragedy
08-01-2008, 02:25 PM
A-Rod is a post-season choke artist. Why would you want this guy on your team in the World Series???

Seriously, look at how his average drops in the post...
What, do you mean the .421 BA in 2004, the .313 in 97, or the .308 and .409 in 2000?

He has been pretty bad the last 3 seasons in the Playoffs, but wasn't THAT bad last year. Just because he hasn't hit well in the Playoffs the last few years doesn't mean he'll never hit well there. He did already.

Run Gardner Run
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
He did well in the first round in 2004 as well.

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Its big, but not as big as NY

ok if NY is 100 Boston is a 95 at least. Both team care about winning and are expected to win, saying theres no pressure on Bay in replacing one of the best hitters ever is ridiculous, and playing Boston makes it even more ridiculous. Alot is expected from Bay in Boston and not a lot think he will perform. I think he answers the call and does awesome for us.

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 03:10 PM
hahahahahahahaha

wow ive highlighted your problems here buddy

so i was wondering if you thought they all would come earlier if we traded Manny.

ahahahhaahah so funny :rolleyes:

That wouldn't change the fact that they would be over right now...

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 03:55 PM
That wouldn't change the fact that they would be over right now...

so what you were saying that is the lineup we would have won the world series in 04 with and thats just wrong.

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 04:09 PM
so what you were saying that is the lineup we would have won the world series in 04 with and thats just wrong.

No, I was saying what the lineup would be right now. And that's just right.

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Han-Ram-SS
Pedroia-2B
Ortiz-DH
A-Rod-3B
Mags-LF
Drew-RF
Youk-1B
Ellsbury-CF
Tek-C

Dice-K
Lester
Wake
Buchholz
Masterson

Not what it sounds like at all considering you led in to the lineup with tose words...

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Not what it sounds like at all considering you led in to the lineup with tose words...

If I was talking about '04 you think I would have put Pedro, Schilling, Lowe in the rotation.

NESports2004
08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
If I was talking about '04 you think I would have put Pedro, Schilling, Lowe in the rotation.

well wither way our lineup and rotation is better now we def should not have done that trade

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
well wither way our lineup and rotation is better now we def should not have done that trade

Our rotation is better, but not our line up.

A-rod>Lowell
Hanley>Lugo/Lowrie
Mags>Bay

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Look at it this way, Arod has yet to bring a world series championship to NY in the 4+ years he has been in NY, most likely will be 5 unless the Yankees somehow pull of a miracle. Since Arod went to the Yankees, Boston has won 2 world series rings.

well don't forget the yankees have had HORRIBLE pitching problems.

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 06:02 PM
ramirez was the world series mvp in 2004 when
the sox won their first world series in 86 years and wasn't he the guy who
guranteed last year that they would win the alcs after being down 3-1 and he
came through for them. How soon John Henry forgets, it is just funny to me. I think that the sox needed to give ramirez a bit more respect than that. It is funny how close they were to trading A Rod for Manny in 2004 and how manny won the world series aginst the cardinals for them and A Rod has been well..... the jury is still out

Ramirez will likely go to the hall in a red sox hat and for them to treat him this way in his last year was pretty low.

WHAT?!? don't you remember "who cares, it's not the end the world, there's always next year" the guy dosn't care about winning. we could trade him to the mariners, and he wouldn't care as long as he got his 4/100 mil contract. which won't happen BTW

papipapsmanny
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
sportsfan u have no argument we won 2 WS with manny so yeah u have no arguement at all

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
The bigger question should be "Should we have signed A-Rod in the offseason" this past year, rather than the trade years ago.

Most people said no to A-Rod after this past season because we thought we had Ramirez for 2008, 2009, and 2010. Now we'll likely have no big booper behind Ortiz after 2008.

If I knew all of this would have happened with Ramirez, I think I seriously consider offering A-Rod the contract he wants and then trade Ramirez for whatever you can get last December.

I was for it before all this. I wish we would have signed him regardless of what happned with Manny. But oh well, nothing to do about it now, plus who knows if they would have raised that WS flag had they gone that route

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 06:08 PM
No cuz w/o Manny we do not win those rings.

so you'd think that
mueller or lowell> a-rod
Nixon or drew > mags
Pokey and lugo > hanley

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Our rotation is better, but not our line up.

A-rod>Lowell
Hanley>Lugo/Lowrie
Mags>Bay

Ill give you the first two, but Bay since 2004, with the exception of 07, was the better player. But we keep Hanley, we have no Josh Beckett and likely no WS in 07, as he kept us in the series vs cleveland.

Heres a comparison of Mags and Bays OPS+ since 2004.
2004- Bay 132 Mags 114
2005- Bay 150 Mags 113
2006- Bay 138 Mags 112
2007- Bay 93 Mags 167
2008- Bay 135 Mags 132

Mags seriously kicked is *** in 07, but other then that Bay as been the better player, is 5 years younger, less injury concerns, he made 7.5 million less then Mags this years, and 10.5 million less then him next year.

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
i think this is a better way to show u guys.
2004 team
Damon- CF
Walker- SS
Ortiz- DH
A-rod- SS
mags- LF
Millar- 1B
Nixon- RF
tek- C
Mueller- 3B
bellhorn- 2B

2007 team
Hanley- SS
Pedroia- 2B
Ortiz-dh
a-rod- 3b
mags- LF
youk- 1B
drew RF
coco- CF
tek- C

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:21 PM

Han-Ram-SS
Pedroia-2B
Ortiz-DH
A-Rod-3B
Mags-LF
Drew-RF
Youk-1B
Ellsbury-CF
Tek-C

Dice-K
Lester
Wake
Buchholz
Masterson

Honestly this roster is pure BS. Why? Because we prolly wouldnt have signed Dice-K and another FA ace as you say. Not with ARods 30mil and Drew and Mags 15 mil each. Sorry with Arod there is no Beckett and no Dice-K. Plus Lester is traded in that deal for Arod.

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
i think this is a better way to show u guys.
2004 team
Damon- CF
Walker- SS
Ortiz- DH
A-rod- SS
mags- LF
Millar- 1B
Nixon- RF
tek- C
Mueller- 3B
bellhorn- 2B

2007 team
Hanley- SS
Pedroia- 2B
Ortiz-dh
a-rod- 3b
mags- LF
youk- 1B
drew RF
coco- CF
tek- C

Ill take what we have right now, the team that won 2 WS in 4 years, thats the one I want, there is no guarntee that team wn the WS in either year. And if you think this team would be better off without Beckett in 07, you didnt watch the playoffs last year

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Honestly this roster is pure BS. Why? Because we prolly wouldnt have signed Dice-K and another FA ace as you say. Not with ARods 30mil and Drew and Mags 15 mil each. Sorry with Arod there is no Beckett and no Dice-K. Plus Lester is traded in that deal for Arod.

So you think the FO would let us go with a rotation of Wake, Buchhol and Masterson? I don't think so. Theo has shown he's willing to pay money if it makes the team better.

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Ill take what we have right now, the team that won 2 WS in 4 years, thats the one I want, there is no guarntee that team wn the WS in either year. And if you think this team would be better off without Beckett in 07, you didnt watch the playoffs last year

yeah but really beckett was a huge bust in 05 and i know he has gotten no run support this year, but he has an era over 4. he is either way too inconsistent or last year was just a fluke.

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
So you think the FO would let us go with a rotation of Wake, Buchhol and Masterson? I don't think so. Theo has shown he's willing to pay money if it makes the team better.

To bad Theo dont pay the bills, if they sign Dice-K and another starter your talking a 170 million dollar payroll, I dont see it happening

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
yeah but really beckett was a huge bust in 05 and i know he has gotten no run support this year, but he has an era over 4. he is either way too inconsistent or last year was just a fluke.

Who gives a rat *** what happened in 06,im worried about what happened in the playoffs in 07, no beckett, no ring. Its pretty simple. Plus in 3 years or so Hanley will be a free agent and I would guarntee the Red Sox make a mojor push for him, rather its for SS or CF

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 06:33 PM

so you don't want THE BEST ALL-AROUND HITTER in baseball. The BEST PLAYER in baseball. A guy that is a .312 hitter and gives you 25+ HR and 100 rbi's. You don't want a guy that will demolish bonds HR record and a guy that will be the next 40/40 hitter. And help my fantasy team.:D Pathetic.

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Who gives a rat *** what happened in 06,im worried about what happened in the playoffs in 07, no beckett, no ring. Its pretty simple. Plus in 3 years or so Hanley will be a free agent and I would guarntee the Red Sox make a mojor push for him, rather its for SS or CF

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3389809
read it

bosox3431
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
so you don't want THE BEST ALL-AROUND HITTER in baseball. The BEST PLAYER in baseball. A guy that is a .312 hitter and gives you 25+ HR and 100 rbi's. You don't want a guy that will demolish bonds HR record and a guy that will be the next 40/40 hitter. And help my fantasy team.:D Pathetic.

Or the guy who would bring just as much negative attention as the guy that just got chased out of town? So you trade what was 2 WS, just to have that lineup today?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3389809
read it

well must have missed that one, oh well

Sportfan
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Or the guy who would bring just as much negative attention as the guy that just got chased out of town? So you trade what was 2 WS, just to have that lineup today?

well must have missed that one, oh well

well maybe we could have won 3 WS titles.

quiksilver2491
08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
well maybe we could have won 3 WS titles.

Maybe, but we didn't so you can't say that. One thing we did do though is win 2 with Manny and with stacked teams in NY A-Rod has still failed to lead his team to a WS, nevermind winning one. Baseball games aren't won on paper, they are won on the field.

pudge27
08-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Sometimes the best deals are the ones that don't happen. We'd have to hold our noses with A-rod- Magglio Ordonez also spends a lot of time on the DL.
I like the Sox position going forward. This is a talented team that hasn't even begun to peak yet. My hope is that the Angels are peaking too early. Right now the Angels are the best team in baseball- solid pitching all the way through with the ability to win games with small ball- the addition of Teixera adds even more power. They also have a great manager. The Red Sox could potentially beat them, but they are going to have to start playing up to potential.