PDA

View Full Version : 2007 O's versus 2008 O's

bshone
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
The O's lost yesterday, but they took two of three from the Yankee's. It's been an interesting season for the O's - some days I love to watch them, but in the back of my mind I don't get too excited because it's not 2011 yet.

Today is July 31, 2008 and entering August the O's record is 51-56 (a winning percentage of .477).

On July 31, 2007 (exactly one year ago), the O's record wasn't much different: 50-55 (a winning percentage of .476). All the hype that the O's have received this year RELATIVE to last year, seems to be worth 1/10th of a percentage point? Wow, who would've thought it felt THAT MUCH better to be .477 than .476. Imagine what it feels like to be .500!

By August 31, 2007, the O's record fell to 59-74 (.444), suggesting that their record in August last year was 9-19 (.321). By the end of the 2007, the O's record fell to 69-93 (.426), suggesting that their record in September last year was 10-19 (.345).

So from today's date LAST YEAR through the end of the regular season LAST YEAR, the O's went 19-38 (.333 winning percentage). If you ask me, I don't think the same performance will happen this year. Still, the point is - whether we can look back at this year as a "success" or not has a whole heck of a lot to do with what happens STARTING NOW and ending through September.

I had no clue we were 50-55 at this point last year. Right now we have one more loss and one more win but our team feels like they are much more competitive. Lets hope they can carry this competitiveness through the end of the season.

chaos47
07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
i would definately say this year has been a success so far. we are developing young talent and still winning some games. this year we have hope for the future no matter what happens the rest of the year. last year i was just waiting for the collapse. if they just add a couple more young pieces., i will have hope for the future. hopefully maybe a big bat like texiera, in free agency, that would help others in the lineup too, as they would see better pitches when hitting around him.

Eicholtz
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Well no one has put 30 runs on the board against them so I consider this year a success.

In all seriousness this year there have been a lot more encouraging things going on with this team. At the end of the year there will be much more optimism then last year. Last year they the higher ups threw in the towel and finally admitted there was a problem. At the end of this season they will go into the next phase of their plan. And a plan is something I am happy to hear that they have because in years past they never had one.

So I vote for this year.

bshone
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't think anyone out there would say last year's team was better than this year's team. My only point in posting this thread was to see if I was the only one who was surprised by how close our records were entering August (2007 vs. 2008).

I realize there's a lot more to a team than just their record. The reasons it feels different this year may include the fact that we have new players who work hard, we have a lot of comeback wins, and our bullpen hasn't blown nearly as many games in which our starter pitched well.

Still, it feels like we're ten wins better than this time last year - not one or two. My guess is that we'll play okay through August and September, hovering around 5-7 games below the .500 mark. If we're lucky, we might even finish with 80 wins.

bshone
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
It's only August 9th and we already have more than half the number of wins we had all of August last year.