PDA

View Full Version : State of the Offense, by Ron Turner

Bulldog76
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=4930

Summary:

QBs: Both playing hard, we don't know who will start

WRs: We have a lot in camp, we don't know who or how many will play

C. Williams: He needs to get back soon...or he will miss time during the regular season...

Forte: He is everything they expected...good guy, smart, hard working and full of potential

Hester: He's good, but we don't intend to create a specific package for him, we are going to use him as a wide receiver every down, not a special sub package

Brandon Lloyd: He is aware of the rumors (which ones?) but he is using his relationship with him at Illinois to gauge his interest in the game...

Not really anything ground breaking other than the fact that we are unsettled at QB / WR and have no imagination on how to implement Hester in our offense...

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
ron turner has a crayon book that he uses for play calling.

how can you not find a way to use hester in the offense and why would you want to avoid the issue. get started on writing up plays to get him involved.

Bulldog76
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
No doubt...

If he wants to keep his cards close to his vest...I would think that is a decent idea, but to say he has nothing planned for him is a bit of a reach.

For those of you who play poker, I can only imagine his face as turning bright red as two aces hit the board...and then his voice cracks as he says...check.

How about instead of saying we have no intent of using him, he responds with the phrase, we are excited to have him...we realize we have a dangerous weapon on offense and we are going to utilize his speed the best we can by moving him across the field and getting him the ball in the open field as much as possible, because we recognize Devin is the most dangerous player in the NFL with the ball in his hands...

It makes me wonder who the Bears PR staff thinks they are fooling with these interviews...can't they help the coaches with their interviews... How many times did we hear "Rex is our Quarterback"..."we like our..."..."We have no intention of bringing in another RB"...

Not to mention Angelo's long list of PR blunders (Turban comment is still my favorite)...

Maybe the PR staff could pull the coaches and administration in and give them a crash course in media management...hell the players get this their freshman year in college and every year since then...the coaches may just need a refresher.

ackar
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
bland vanilla offense. now if it works great but if does not long season

Shardik17
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
... get started on writing up plays to get him involved.

Absolutely not.

That would be a mistake IMO. A special playbook just for Hester is not the answer. An expanded, more imaginative and attack style playbook, Yes!

But, he needs to learn the whole playbook just like every other receiver. When he comes into the game (starting or not) he should be able to play any receiver position and know all the routes, calls and blocks.

This would make him much more dangerous than having his own set of trick plays that by mid-season, every NFL scout would know and plan for.

Turner has a lot of problems, but one of his biggest is not being able to adjust his attack philosophy during a game.
He keeps runnin' the same shyte, play after miserable play. Even I know what they're gonna run half the time, as well as most of the stadium.

If you don't have the luxury of superstars at all of your ball handling positions, you have to be creative in using the strengths of your team against the weaknesses of your opponent.

Obviously, Ron hasn't read T'sun T'zu.

Soop
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Absolutely not.

That would be a mistake IMO. A special playbook just for Hester is not the answer. An expanded, more imaginative and attack style playbook, Yes!

But, he needs to learn the whole playbook just like every other receiver. When he comes into the game (starting or not) he should be able to play any receiver position and know all the routes, calls and blocks.

This would make him much more dangerous than having his own set of trick plays that by mid-season, every NFL scout would know and plan for.

Turner has a lot of problems, but one of his biggest is not being able to adjust his attack philosophy during a game.
He keeps runnin' the same shyte, play after miserable play. Even I know what they're gonna run half the time, as well as most of the stadium.

If you don't have the luxury of superstars at all of your ball handling positions, you have to be creative in using the strengths of your team against the weaknesses of your opponent.

Art of War by Sun Tzu is a great book. Have you read Nicollo Machiavelli's Art of War?

Shardik17
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Art of War by Sun Tzu is a great book. Have you read Nicollo Machiavelli's Art of War?

No. But, I've studied T'sun T'zu quite a bit and apply adages whenever I can.

Football, most of the time perceived like war, is a perfect arena to exercise some of these principles.

Like 'Spies' for instance. They are one of the most important units for a successful commander. Belichek sleeps with that particular chapter under his pillow.

Someone needs to forward Ron Turner an Idiots Guide to The Art of War.

Steve Kerr
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
We need to sign Chris Henry

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Absolutely not.

okay, an expanded more imaginative attacking style playbook? that would mean mr. turner would have to write new plays...he doesn't have an expanded more imaginative attacking style....unless of course, we are mathematically out of the playoff picture.

IvyWentCrazy
07-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Even though I'm up in the air about Turner and sort of blame him for a lot of the bad play at qb over the last year; don't OVERREACT to this story...

All he is saying is, there will not be special playbook for Hester, were he only needs to know a small amount of plays. Hester, like all recievers, is going to have to learn the entire playbook.

Will there be certain plays that are drawn up for Hester, to utilize his special abilities? Yes... but it's not going to be like last year were he only had to learn 4 routes.

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
it's not an overreaction, it's reality....turner is unimaginative and lacks creativity. plus, he's predictable.

Soop
07-31-2008, 08:00 PM
We need to sign Chris Henry

Goodell handed down a four game suspension today but now he's able to sign w/ anyone.

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
would we want another receiver, even though henry is a good wr...is it worth it. just curious, i'm not opposed to signing him if the deal is right.

Badluck33
07-31-2008, 09:02 PM
You guys are dopes if you think the Bears will create a special package for Hester. How long will it be til every defense in the NFL figures that one out.

Another reason why Ron Turner should stay out of this forum and forum members should stay out of the Bears Offensive play calling.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Goodell handed down a four game suspension today but now he's able to sign w/ anyone.

I'm sure he can still sign. Lol the last two years I've had injuries to WR and I've picked him up for a couple of starts after he came off suspension. Haha felt a little dirty doing it but o well. Fact of the matter is he wont be that good of option when teams aren't worried about ocho cinco and housh

WOwolfOL
08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Turner is wack

RockStrongo
08-01-2008, 12:30 AM
The last I heard, Hester was supposed to learn the entire playbook. Or at least "digest" I believe the term Turner used to describe it.

Boss980
08-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Has anyone seen Marcus Monk play? how does he look? I think he should be given a shot if he earns it. I don't like small recievers and really dont think Devin should be a 1 or 2 WR on this team.

Bulldog76
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
You guys are dopes if you think the Bears will create a special package for Hester. How long will it be til every defense in the NFL figures that one out.

Another reason why Ron Turner should stay out of this forum and forum members should stay out of the Bears Offensive play calling.

Nobody is asking for a special package to be created for Hester, even tho that is what they did for him last year...What we are asking for is the offensive coordinator to publicly say that Devin's unique skill set will be utilized in our offense...Rather than, Hester being utilized within the same conservative offense that has regressed over the past few years...

Not a special package, but speak optimistically about his talent skills...

Tankjeep
08-01-2008, 01:30 PM
true, no special package.....i just want some creativity and some attacking style on offense for xmas.

SoCalBEARFAN
08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
ron turner is an idiot.

superdude79
08-02-2008, 02:21 AM
The Bears had Turner on their staff and then he left for Illinois. What do you think the chances of Crawton coing back? I thought he called a good game.