PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Cards could deal Lohse

Wrigleyboy25
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Cardinals could trade Lohse

Thursday, July 31, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark
Here's one of the most surprising names to pop up on the "available" list in the last 24 hours -- Kyle Lohse. Officials of two teams that spoke with the Cardinals report that they've been offering to deal Lohse if they can get back the right package.

The Cardinals have been looking for both a bat and a bullpen arm. And apparently, they concluded they didn't have the prospects to get both. They got Chris Carpenter back from the disabled list Wednesday, with Adam Wainwright a couple of weeks behind. And they have no assurance they can re-sign Lohse because he's a Scott Boras client.

So Lohse could dramatically alter the starting-pitching market Thursday if the Cardinals can find the right taker. Among the teams still looking for a starter: White Sox, Rockies and Yankees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3512452&name=mlb_trade_deadline

Lohse is 12-3 with a 3.68 ERA.

RiffRaff
07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
:mad: :sigh: :bang: :down:

Bgpapa1
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
I see managements point but have I havnt heard any talk about an attempt to resign him. I would be OK (not excited at all!!!) if they did this as long as we were able to get someone to pony up MLB talent. Cards don't like Boras b/c of the money he demands and Cards don't like spending money so not a good match. Hate to see him go but... OH HELL IM TORN!!! I see both sides of it

BradJackson
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I see managements point but have I havnt heard any talk about an attempt to resign him. I would be OK (not excited at all!!!) if they did this as long as we were able to get someone to pony up MLB talent. Cards don't like Boras b/c of the money he demands and Cards don't like spending money so not a good match. Hate to see him go but... OH HELL IM TORN!!! I see both sides of it

that is exactly what i was thinking.
i would support him leaving for the right deal. He's been really good, but i don't think he'll stay that good. and to deal with Scott Boras later on, we would Loshe him anyway. (you get it? :D) I would like to see him successfully dealt for some good relief, personally..

prolly not going anywhere though, we shall see.
were eager observers. not sellers this deadline :p

stlcardsfan3289
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
If they can ship him to Colarado for Fuentes and Holliday I say go for it.. or if that trade in Pittsburgh doesnt work out between them Boston and Florida work out maybe send him to Pittsburgh for graback (sp?) and Jason Bay. I wouldn't like shipping him out just for one or the other, if they part ways with him, we need to pick up both the pitcher and the arm.

BradJackson
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Fuentes and Holliday. Fuentes and Holliday. Fuentes and Holliday.
I'm chanting. I would roll around on the ground if we can pull that off.

Wrigleyboy25
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
If they can ship him to Colarado for Fuentes and Holliday I say go for it.. or if that trade in Pittsburgh doesnt work out between them Boston and Florida work out maybe send him to Pittsburgh for graback (sp?) and Jason Bay. I wouldn't like shipping him out just for one or the other, if they part ways with him, we need to pick up both the pitcher and the arm.
The Rockies would laugh and hang up the phone.

Stl08
07-31-2008, 11:58 AM
On Fuentes and Holliday, if we throw Chris Duncan and some prospect into the deal, it could go down. Why not? :clap:

IndiansFan337
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Lohse is pitching over his head, and everyone knows it. His value isn't as high as you'd think with those numbers.

That's why you guys were able to find him still available during ST this year.

crowz
07-31-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree with ya wrigley if we just offered Lohse...but rockies were the one team that had said there was atleast 10 prospects that were of interest to them from The Cardinals. Throw in 2 of them and Lohse...I think its possible. I'm not saying the cards will...but they could. With Lohse going to go for top dollar this summer, His agent, Ankiel getting injured, and how Lohse is a hot commodity at this time....I can see why he would go for a bat....But I think if the Cards don't also pick up a starter somewhere else that the extra offense from Holliday and Pen arm from Fuentes wouldnt be enough to keep us winning unless Waino and Carp and 1 other starter could go 7+ a start after awhile...who knows. Just imagine though our 2-6 hitting 30+ HR's and 100+ Rbi's

stlcardsfan3289
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
I saw if Colorado asks for someone like Duncan in the deal or Mather do it, getting Funetes and Holliday would be a huge addition to our team. I personally believe that the only reason Chris Duncan is a Cardinal is because of his dad, I'm not saying he is a terrible player by no means, it's just the fact that he is not an outfielder, he's never going to be an outfielder, he might try hard but it's not worth putting him out there everyday. Duncan might be able to go somewhere and play first base and put up some decent numbers, but as for being a solid Cardinals player, I don't see it, Albert Pujols isn't going anywhere for a long time. So I say, put Kyle Lohse, Duncan, and maybe even Mather up, send them to Colorado and pull down Fuentes and Holliday. I doubt this would ever happen, but it's fun to think about.

Vegasguy80
07-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Last interview I heard with Mo he said absolutely not. He said why would he trade one of his best pitchers when still in contention. I call B.S. on this and don't see it happening.

As for the guy that said he is pitching over his head, he has been pitching like this sense last July. Not exactly over his head.

As for Fuentes and Holliday, just don't see the Rockies doing it. I would love to see it happen but it just won't. As of right now I wouldn't be surprised if we did nothing.

RiffRaff
07-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Pitching wins championships. Trading away one key piece(need) for a different key piece (need) gets us no where ... it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul ... it just doesn't make any sense ... at least not for this season ... in which case acquiring Fuentes who like Lohse is a FA after this season is pointless.

It's a lose, lohse for us. (lol)

Maybe we can trade Pujols for A-Rod and then in turn trade Glaus back to Toronto for Rolen.

RiffRaff
07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Last interview I heard with Mo he said absolutely not. He said why would he trade one of his best pitchers when still in contention. I call B.S. on this and don't see it happening.

I think/hope your right

As for the guy that said he is pitching over his head, he has been pitching like this sense last July. Not exactly over his head.

right.

As for Fuentes and Holliday, just don't see the Rockies doing it. I would love to see it happen but it just won't. As of right now I wouldn't be surprised if we did nothing.

:shrug:

SportsFan1988
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Fuentes and Holliday. Fuentes and Holliday. Fuentes and Holliday.
I'm chanting. I would roll around on the ground if we can pull that off.
If you guys think we're even getting Matt Holiday for Kyle Lohse, you're both out of your minds.

On Fuentes and Holliday, if we throw Chris Duncan and some prospect into the deal, it could go down. Why not? :clap:
Prospects meaning either Colby Rasmus or Bryan Anderson, and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.

Lohse is pitching over his head, and everyone knows it. His value isn't as high as you'd think with those numbers.

That's why you guys were able to find him still available during ST this year.

If that's what you would like to believe, fine....but Lohse has turned into a great starting pitcher now, and chances are this is no fluke, I'm sure plenty of teams would be interested in him, considering most teams need starting pitching.

redbird89
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I hope they don't trade Lohse. Surely we can get a reliever without giving up Lohse.

Czyzdustries
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
It does make sense. With his record and ERA this year he will command a large contract. But since this is the ONLY year he's but up numbers close to this there is no guarantee he does it again. So I agree, for the right "package" I would deal him.

Shlumpledink
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow this came out of left field, and i love it. Lohse is a stud but I don't know that we'll be able to resign him.

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 05:35 PM
It's funny.... Mozeliak said that there was 0 chance that we dealt him on a FSN game

Tkais9009
07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
yeah. why the hell would we deal him. he is a stud and im pretty sure what we could use right now is a SP who can eat innings and still be good since Carpenter and Wainwright wont be pitching any CG anytime soon

redbird89
07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Ya he did. With the deadline over (though you can still trade through waivers) I don't expect Lohse to be traded.

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
this is such crap.... We needed to do something... I'm infuriated.

I woulda rather traded for Mahay or Ohman :puke:

:mad:

redbird89
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
The price was high for a lot of those guys.

BradJackson
07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
and giving up A-line prospects isn't worth 25 innings of pitching relief. (given how much of the season we have left)
and i hear that the asking price for Fuentes was "laughable".

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't think Mahay or Ohman woulda cost too much... but this is just ****

redbird89
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
I would've like Ohman, but the Braves decided to keep him. It sounds like the price was too steep.

Kyle man
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Anything would have been great... but not this

Czyzdustries
07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Wow this came out of left field, and i love it. Lohse is a stud but I don't know that we'll be able to resign him.

He's 75-77 with a career ERA of 4.70, never winning more than 14 games (actually has only had double figure wins in 3 seasons and double figure loses in 6 seasons). Far from studly.