PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rewards Fans With Actually Interesting Christmas Matchup, Hornets Versus Magic

phlp_bj
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
One of the best things about last season was the fact that so many teams were good that you didn't expect. The bad thing was that they all played in small markets, and therefore were only on national television for about a second and a half before returning you to your regularly scheduled Lakers versus Mavericks game. Well, apparently the NBA is going to go ahead and try something different after last year's disastrous Greg Oden vs. Kevin Durant Christmas Day matchup. That game lost its luster of course due to Oden's injury and that the fact that the Sonics were worse than watching your alcoholic uncle fall off the wagon and face first into the spiked eggnog for the third year running. That left us with quite the bad taste in our mouths, but this year, we get a unique treat.

New Orleans.com has gotten a copy of the Hornets's 2008 schedule and is reporting that the Hornets will face off against the Orlando Magic next year on Christmas Day. The game is expected to be held the night of Christmas Day and most likely on TNT. I would expect the usual Lakers ratings blowout in the early game, and possibly another crack at Oden vs. Durant in the afternoon. But the nightcap, hoo boy.

This development isn't really a change of attitude for the league in marketing what it believes will sell the absolute most. Instead, it's due to the fact that the game features two of its best and most marketable young stars, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. Still, we as fans reap the rewards, as this is an absolutely terrific matchup between two exciting teams. The Hornets' alley-oop business is limited by Howard's presence inside, and the Magic's slashing ability is countered by New Orleans' tough defense. Throw in a high number of quality shooters and David West versus Rashard Lewis, and you've got an absolute homerun for the League's television schedulers. It's July, and I already can't wait.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/07/31/nba-rewards-fans-with-actually-interesting-christmas-matchup-ho/

innovator
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
cant wait for the season to start, dwight's magic vs. cp3's hornets is a game to watch

daleja424
07-31-2008, 10:05 AM
wade/kobe
kobe/bron
wade/bron
beasley/rose
shaq/heat
lakers/celts

...those would all make sense

SHONIE
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh goody goody :)

phlp_bj
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
i want to see lakers vs celtics the first game of the season. it will also be the ring ceremony game for the celtics.

JordansBulls
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Rockets vs Boston would be good on Christmas as well.

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Magic vs. Hornets? Not a bad matchup :)

PhillyLuver
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I like it a lot. Young, beastly big man versus young, beastly point guard

theimortalone
07-31-2008, 01:03 PM
When does the NBA schedule officially come out?

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
When does the NBA schedule officially come out?

Sometime in August, I think :shrug:

YankeeFan89
07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Rockets Vs Boston!

phlp_bj
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
that would be a good matchup

Rando
Allen
Pierce
KG
Perkins

vs

Alston
T-Mac
Battier
Artest
Yao

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Rando
Allen
Pierce
KG
Perkins

vs

Alston
T-Mac
Battier
Artest
Yao

Artest is undersized at the 4 IMO. Unless they play some kind of a zone.

pwest6
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
i want to see lakers vs celtics the first game of the season. it will also be the ring ceremony game for the celtics.

The Pacers' first game of the season is against the Celtics

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
The Pacers' first game of the season is against the Celtics

Is it gonna be at Indianapolis? Or is it Boston's first home game?

fairandbalanced
07-31-2008, 05:36 PM
good matchup but nobody will watch, neither would I.

phlp_bj
07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
i might if i get a chance

Vinny642
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow I love that game
my first favortie team versing my second favorite team. Wow this should be a good christmas game.

obrpunk
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
this will be a great game...very excited!:D

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 10:14 PM
i cant wait

lakers4sho
08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
They should add more Hornets games in their National TV schedule.

cmellofan15
08-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I wanna see Sixers - Toronto and Lakers - NO/Celtics/Detriot

Giaps
08-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Lebron vs Kobe should be the 1st game.

{}
08-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Chris Paul and the legit Hornets team vs the nba equivalent of Souja Boy, a team so overrated and with such a gay following it makes you sick.

Anyway, will Dwight wear his leotard and cape to the game? Oh god, I hope so. Nice xmas present for all us male groupies who swoon over Supaman!

cmellofan15
08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Chris Paul and the legit Hornets team vs the nba equivalent of Souja Boy, a team so overrated and with such a gay following it makes you sick.

Anyway, will Dwight wear his leotard and cape to the game? Oh god, I hope so. Nice xmas present for all us male groupies who swoon over Supaman!

Yea I guess it's a mistake when you get the 2nd seed in the Playoffs. Or maybe it was a mistake that they were number one for more than a week. I guess Chris Paul being close to MVP was just the biggest fluke in the world. I'd rather compare them to Lupe. They're young, talented and when you look at what they do on paper your amazed.

{}
08-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Yea I guess it's a mistake when you get the 2nd seed in the Playoffs. Or maybe it was a mistake that they were number one for more than a week. I guess Chris Paul being close to MVP was just the biggest fluke in the world. I'd rather compare them to Lupe. They're young, talented and when you look at what they do on paper your amazed.

I said Chris Paul and the Hornets are legit. I just wish it would've been the Hornets vs a more interesting team, Boston, the Cavs or a western conference team. Outside of the Cavs and Boston, the east...or leastern conference, is still as weak and boring as ever, IMO.

LakeShowRaider
08-02-2008, 01:31 AM
lol at you small market nba fans!!! haha LAKERS!!

ok i had to do that! haha anyhow I wonder who Lakers are going to play?? Celtics anyone?

Strumpy
08-02-2008, 01:35 AM
potential NBA Finals preview?:)

goku
08-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Rando
Allen
Pierce
KG
Perkins

vs

Alston
T-Mac
Battier
Artest
Yao

rondo
allen
pierce
kg
perkins

vs

alston
t-mac
artest
scola
yao

artest will play the 3

JordansBulls
08-02-2008, 09:45 AM
rondo
allen
pierce
kg
perkins

vs

alston
t-mac
artest
scola
yao

artest will play the 3

Man that would be a good one

Vinny642
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM

Dude Shut ur hating *** up for real. We probably would of mad the playoffs two years ago to after going 39-43 but everybody was injured for more then 5 games and we lost Peja for the whole season. Last we didn't have bad injuries and we shown what we can do. Also now we got Posey so our team got a lot stronger. o0o and I like that Lupe Fiasco comparison, thats my favorite rapper.

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 11:07 AM

Come on man, they were just having a fun time.

You are just being a lameass hater.

But I do believe that the Magic are overrated. Rashard Lewis could be a LeBron type of player (rebounder/shooter already/insane dunker), but instead he chooses the wimp-way. All he does is shoot. He needs to man up, grow some nuts, and drive hard to the rack. For goodness sake he's 6'10"! Jameer Nelson was one of my fav guards in college. Now? He's very inconsistent and he's not someone I would consider putting in the starting line up. Carlos Arroyo is 10x better than him. Hedo Turkoglu is an outstanding player, but he makes alot of stupid decisions when the ball is in his hands. It's like he knows he's an asset to the franchise, but he never dishes the ball. He has one thing on his mind, score score score. He needs to get his teammates involved and you would see so much more from this Magic team.

Dwight Howard is just a monster on the boards, defensively, and a big time low post threat. When the ball is in his hands in the high post, he makes the stupidest decisions. He can't create space for himself which leads to a brick or a turnover. Jason Maxiell was manhandling him this year in the playoffs. Van Gundy needed to put Arroyo out there with him so Dwight could beast off of his beautiful assists.

knicks religion
08-02-2008, 11:45 AM
why take a shot at last years top rookies? oden vs durant? how about this years top rookies facing off . . .rose vs mayo [top gaurds] or beasly. but good game between orlando and the hornets, as long as the hornets are home. i hate the orlando home court.

_Sn1P3r_
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Can't wait for this game. I wonder if CP3 will dunk on Dwight again. :P

I think a Christmas match-up should also be a top rookie against a top rookie.

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I hope this game is in New Orleans! It's a quick drive for me :D

phlp_bj
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
wow if the rumors are true, these will be the games on christmas.:

hornets vs magic

lakers vs celtics

DaddyCool
08-04-2008, 08:29 AM
It'll probably be in Orlando. Bigger market there opposed to New Orleans.

BTW phlp_bj respond to the pm.

phlp_bj
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
i did