PDA

View Full Version : Larry Hughes to Denver?

AI
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Some rumored trades that caught my attention one of them being Larry Hughes to Denver for Kenyon Martin.

So far, the sign-and-trade interest in Gordon has been minimal. But if he wants to test the open market next summer, when several NBA teams will have cap room, his one-year qualifying offer is worth $6.4 million, not far below the $7.86 million the Bulls have left to pay for the coming season. A shorter contract length also has been discussed.

The Bulls continue to explore the trade market with other players. With Reinsdorf and director of player personnel Gar Forman taking a greater role in contract negotiations, Paxson has been freed up to talk trades with other teams.

The Bulls have had discussions with Sacramento about center Brad Miller, a league source confirmed, and were very interested in acquiring Nets center Nenad Krstic, most likely for Andres Nocioni, before Krstic jumped overseas to sign with Triumph Moscow.

The Bulls also have discovered some interest in guard Larry Hughes, as long as they're willing to take a big contract in return. Since the Bulls need to thin out their backcourt, some possibilities could include Portland's Joe Przybilla, New York's Jared Jeffries, Dallas' Erick Dampier or Denver's Kenyon Martin.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=224618&src=150

Could we see a possible deal between Denver and Chicago, something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1711~1981~356~3224~366~515&teams=7~7~7~7~4~4&te=&cash=

The trade works out with the salaries and I believe it'd be a good trade for both sides.

Denver gets:
PG - Kirk Hinrich
SG - Larry Hughes
PF - Drew Gooden
PF/C - Joakim Noah

Chicago gets:
SG - Allen Iverson
PF - Kenyon Martin

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
That's one hell of a garbage *** trade.

I say keep AI... Why trade him now? We have until February and if the team isn't taking a step further (by that time), then we can include him in a trade.

SlowMo
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree with crunchy. AI is molten gold man. Don't trade him for a bunch of players that spent most of last season under-acheiving and whining. Although both of their contracts are killers, AI brings it every night. As long as Kenyon can stay helthy next season, I wouldn't mind giving him till the trade deadline as well to make any decisions. We need some strong rebounders now that Camby's gone, and melo will be trying to run the outlet most of the time for easy points.

IversonIsKrazy
07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
no i like that trade:P

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
no i like that trade:P

Then you wouldn't mind seeing Iverson's career rot in Chicago.

kenny922
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
That's one hell of a garbage *** trade.

I say keep AI... Why trade him now? We have until February and if the team isn't taking a step further (by that time), then we can include him in a trade.

:clap::clap: exactly and why not do a deal to just get hinrich i mean i rather see a hinrich and iverson backcourt than a hinrich and larry "always shootin"hughes backcourt

ochoa3791
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
I like Hinrich but only next to A.I.
and i really like Noah if Denver could some how send L.k. and some draft picks along with Kmart and not take Hughs I like that trade

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 06:39 PM
I like Hinrich but only next to A.I.
and i really like Noah if Denver could some how send L.k. and some draft picks along with Kmart and not take Hughs I like that trade

Dude K-Mart can bring in like 2 great players from any team in the league... Why does it have to be the ****ing bulls?

Man, give it up people...

You people choose the Bulls, but did they even make the playoffs this year? I think not.

I'm sorry, I don't want any of those players on this team for the organization's health. If we fail to reach the 2nd round or the playoffs for that matter the next two years, we are back to stage 1: reconstruction.

asadf
07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
yeah this trade is no good. Kmart for Hughes? Yeah they are both overpaid but Kmart is still productive.. Hughes is worthless.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-31-2008, 09:22 PM
yea hughes is a bum, tha only player on tha bulls i would mind having on tha nuggets is Kirk.

DenButsu
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Dude K-Mart can bring in like 2 great players from any team in the league.

Oh, really? :eyebrow:

What team would take on his contract (which is worse than Hughes' and is a negative that FAR outweighs what he's currently able to deliver on the court) and actually in return give up two "great" players?

If we unload Martin on any team, we're penalizing them with the albatross of his salary. You can be guaranteed that any team that's willing to swallow that pill will insist on sticking us back with a crappy-*** contract as well.

But just out of curiosity, what teams do you think would give up what players for K-Mart?

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh, really? :eyebrow:

What team would take on his contract (which is worse than Hughes' and is a negative that FAR outweighs what he's currently able to deliver on the court) and actually in return give up two "great" players?

If we unload Martin on any team, we're penalizing them with the albatross of his salary. You can be guaranteed that any team that's willing to swallow that pill will insist on sticking us back with a crappy-*** contract as well.

But just out of curiosity, what teams do you think would give up what players for K-Mart?

I'm saying with the salary he has, he can bring in 2 great players... Now I know that there are no teams wanting one overpaid player for two great players....

ptransfer
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Trade would have been good if Camby was still here. But you would be giving up your best defensive big guy for nothing. As for contracts. Kmart will probably get injured again. Hughes contract will be worth something next year as teams look to dump cap.

Heinrich is a great defender and jumpshooter. This trade opens a gap for LK or JR to step up to the 2, whilst ensuring more space for Melo because of Heinrichs jump shooting and a more solid team (good TO count). Chicago might take this deal, and Denver would be crazy not to jump on it. Can you imagine Kmart in two years. He'll be hobbling of the bench!!!

DenButsu
07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm saying with the salary he has, he can bring in 2 great players... Now I know that there are no teams wanting one overpaid player for two great players....

Well, then, that means then that because of that big salary he can't bring in two great players, right? That's what I'm getting at.

On the other hand, looking at a longer term picture, Hughes' contract ends in 2010, while K-Mart is due to be paid $16,545,455 in the 2010-11 season. Now, after AI's salary comes off the books next summer, the amount of our guaranteed contracts for the 2009-10 season (as things stand now) will be around $51,795,273 - actually becoming more like $61 million, probably, assuming we've signed JR for MLE-type money and guaranteed another player or two through the following season.

If K-Mart's out of the picture by then, and the contracts of Hughes and Hunter expire, and say we have both JR and LK for MLEs (we'll give JR a bit more), then we're looking at this kind of payroll:

Melo $17,149,244
Nene $11,360,000
JR $8,000,000
LK $6,000,000

total $42,509,244

And I don't think I need to remind you who's on the free agent list in 2010.

avsman05
07-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Well, then, that means then that because of that big salary he can't bring in two great players, right? That's what I'm getting at.

On the other hand, looking at a longer term picture, Hughes' contract ends in 2010, while K-Mart is due to be paid $16,545,455 in the 2010-11 season. Now, after AI's salary comes off the books next summer, the amount of our guaranteed contracts for the 2009-10 season (as things stand now) will be around $51,795,273 - actually becoming more like $61 million, probably, assuming we've signed JR for MLE-type money and guaranteed another player or two through the following season.

If K-Mart's out of the picture by then, and the contracts of Hughes and Hunter expire, and say we have both JR and LK for MLEs (we'll give JR a bit more), then we're looking at this kind of payroll:

Melo $17,149,244
Nene $11,360,000
JR $8,000,000
LK $6,000,000

total $42,509,244

And I don't think I need to remind you who's on the free agent list in 2010.

DEN i need a reminder i cant get enough of that list:drool:

No but anyways i honestly think if we can get Hinrich or Felton for a #1 we will be set for a while. I believe the cohesion with a PG will do wonders for melo and AI they wont be running around the court like chickens with their heads cut off.

DenButsu
08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
DEN i need a reminder i cant get enough of that list:drool:

Drool is right. (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9031)

Game_Over
08-01-2008, 01:46 AM
The thing that I love most is that Melo isn't on that list from what I saw I do believe he is up the year after.. I love the build from younger talent and if we can get rid of Martin and Nene I am for it cause I think a Melo, JR plus a free agent will be sweet!!

"HOTCREEK"
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I was reading on ESPN INSIDER, And heard that Chicago is interested in tradeing Larry hughes and Kirk hinrich For Kenyon MArtin And Anthony carter! its true

jeff86
08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I was reading on ESPN INSIDER, And heard that Chicago is interested in tradeing Larry hughes and Kirk hinrich For Kenyon MArtin And Anthony carter! its true

so we are stuck with what as our bigs

nene and garbage starters

NOOOOO!!!!

Nugget Tony
08-01-2008, 07:15 PM
We need to get rid of that garbage contract that K-Mart has badley.....I like Kenyon and think he brings alot of energy....and with his injuries I dont think we got to see the best he had to offer......I would like to see what he could bring to the table this year with Camby now gone.....Although the FO may be thinking down the road...and trying to free up more cap space to make a stellar move......

sager729
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
yea hughes is a bum, tha only player on tha bulls i would mind having on tha nuggets is Kirk.

You wouldn't take D. Rose, Noah or Deng?

DenButsu
08-01-2008, 08:29 PM
so we are stuck with what as our bigs

nene and garbage starters

NOOOOO!!!!

We could use our trade exception (packaged with a future first or two) to get a very good big, I'd imagine. Kleiza is also a tradeable piece. So let's just say we did that to get a very legit starting PF (known as "?").

Hinrich/Hughes/Chucky
AI/JR/Jones
Melo/LK(?)/Balkman
?/Andersen
Nene/Hunter

We'd have arguably one of the best guard rotations in the NBA, and as long as "?" can defend and isn't an offensive liability, I'd say that puts us squarely in "lock for the playoffs" territory.

rico
08-01-2008, 08:55 PM
even though hughes is a big contract theres no way we give him up for an expiring in 3 years why would we do that for garbage? i can see something like hughes and hinrich for ai and another piece but not that ridiculous ai and kmart for noah, hughes, hinrich, gooden LOL.

and hughes isnt as bad as you guys think. he has great d and can score. yes he does chuck a lot thats a downfault, but he is an expiring 2010.

my prime trade though for chicago would be more like s&t ben gordon & hughes for AI *using our trade exception) you get a great expiring for 2010 - you know iverson wont be there much longer with melo. you get a good pure shooter in gordon great 6th man, and hughes has good D and is a combo guard.

DenButsu
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
even though hughes is a big contract theres no way we give him up for an expiring in 3 years why would we do that for garbage? i can see something like hughes and hinrich for ai and another piece but not that ridiculous ai and kmart for noah, hughes, hinrich, gooden LOL.

and hughes isnt as bad as you guys think. he has great d and can score. yes he does chuck a lot thats a downfault, but he is an expiring 2010.

Wait a minute, you're not saying that K-Mart is garbage, are you? :eyebrow:

jeff86
08-01-2008, 09:09 PM
We could use our trade exception (packaged with a future first or two) to get a very good big, I'd imagine. Kleiza is also a tradeable piece. So let's just say we did that to get a very legit starting PF (known as "?").

Hinrich/Hughes/Chucky
AI/JR/Jones
Melo/LK(?)/Balkman
?/Andersen
Nene/Hunter

We'd have arguably one of the best guard rotations in the NBA, and as long as "?" can defend and isn't an offensive liability, I'd say that puts us squarely in "lock for the playoffs" territory.

got ya

ok i would have to have a deal in place to do that first because we could end up being stuck with nene and hunter

o man

rico
08-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Wait a minute, you're not saying that K-Mart is garbage, are you? :eyebrow:

we all know kmart doesnt have long to go. + Gooden = Kmart except younger.

thats all im saying.

DenButsu
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
we all know kmart doesnt have long to go. + Gooden = Kmart except younger.

thats all im saying.

Well, I'd just have to say that K-Mart outperformed Hughes significantly last season - in a season in which he was recovering from microfracture surgery. My guess is that next season he'll be looking a good deal better than Hughes.

And K >>> Gooden. The only two points I'd concede on that are his FT shooting and maybe his rebounding (although K averaged 10 in 06-07, and that was next to Camby, who's a glass hog). But in overall efficiency, in passing, and most especially in defense (let me know the next time Gooden locks down Tim Duncan or Dwight Howard), Kenyon outperforms him by a long shot.

rico
08-01-2008, 09:46 PM
either way tho bro, look at it if you were chicago.

would you give up hughes who is a 2010 expiring for another pf that doesnt expire for 3 years, who is injury prone and just as good or the same as a current PF you already have. clogging your PF spot when you are tryin gto develope TT?

its just not logical. if we had kmart/gooden/tt at the 4 spot its way too crowded. i mean we COULD move gooden th the 5 spot with noah, but... still its not something that really helps out the team. surely you can agree with that.

avsman05
08-01-2008, 11:21 PM
In the last 24 hours a number of e-mails have popped up in my inbox with regard to a potential trade involving Kenyon Martin. Fans were intrigued due to the fact it has been widely assumed Martin's contract was virtually untradable. But suddenly, a rumor about Martin going to the Chicago Bulls surfaced and got folks talking.
The rumor came from an article in Wednesday's edition of the Daily Herald. What follows is a direct passage from the aforementioned article.

"The Bulls also have discovered some interest in guard Larry Hughes, as long as they're willing to take a big contract in return. Since the Bulls need to thin out their backcourt, some possibilities could include Portland's Joe Przybilla, New York's Jared Jeffries, Dallas' Erick Dampier or Denver's Kenyon Martin."

Notice how the article says "some possibilities could include." So in essence, this is really nothing more than speculation. Another interesting point to consider is the salaries of Przybilla (who the writer of the piece incorrectly identified as Joe instead of Joel) and Jeffries are approximately half of Hughes' total salary, meaning a trade of either of those players alone wouldn't work financially in deal for Hughes.

A trade of Martin straight up for Hughes, on the other hand, would work under the cap. The question, though, is why either team would consider such a trade? Yes, such a move could help get the Nuggets get out from underneath the three years and approximately $48 million left on Martin's contract, but in return Denver would be taking on the two years and $25 million left on Hughes' deal. However, since Hughes would come off the books in 2010, the Nuggets could be players in the free agent market a year sooner which might be desirable considering all the hype surrounding the 2010 free agent class.

For next season, though, Hughes likely wouldn't make the Nuggets better. He's not a great defender, and we've already seen that Hughes and Allen Iverson don't exactly form a dynamic duo as evidenced by their time together in Philly. Moreover, Martin is one of the five best on the ball defenders in the post in the Association, something Denver desperately needs if the team is serious about improving on the defensive end. Sure, Martin has his faults and is unquestionably overpaid, but what he brings on the defensive end can't be ignored.

From the Bulls perspective the move doesn't seem to make a ton of sense, either. There's a reason you've heard Martin's contract is virtually untradable over the course of the last couple of offseaons, and that's because it's darned near true. The move would be a huge financial investment by the Bulls for a player with a history of injury and headaches in the locker room. And would Martin really be the right guy for a team that has a lot of young players like Derrick Rose and Luol Deng?

If there's one thing anyone who follows the NBA should know by now it's that one should never say never about any trade possibility provided the deal works financially. That said, the chances Martin is playing anywhere other than Denver next season remain extremely low.

You can chalk this one up to reading a little too much into some speculation which found its way onto the front-page of everyone's offseason "rumor-mill."

this is from hoopsworld.com but theirs links to other sites as well they are just saying kmart for hughes straight up no way i would do this.

29$JerZ
08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Josh Smith Would do your team good

Maybe your TE could be use to pay for most of his contract

Maybe Kleiza + Steven Hunter + Pick for Josh Smith could happen if Josh really wants to leave ATL

Atkins - Carter
AI - J.R
Carmelo - Renaldo
Smith + Kenyon Martin
Nene

Bibby + Law
Joe + Salim
Marvin + LK
Horford + Solomon
Zaza + Hunter

DJiC
08-02-2008, 03:28 AM
trust me he wants out, talks with him and hawks about a new contract has moved as far as us in the playoffs...NOWHERE....getting him is a strong possibility but will our FO do it, probably not...

C-Dub
08-02-2008, 10:32 AM
ha, we could do the Carter/Kmart trade for Hughes/Hinrich and then sign Smith or trade Kleiza and Atkins or whatever we gott do to get JOsh

PG Hinrich/ Hughes
SG AI/Smith
SF Melo/ Balkman
PF Smith/ Birdman
C Nene/ Hunter

I like it a lot, haha! For some reason I feel like Hughes and JR Smith would get along really good?

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't care what any of you say, Larry Hughes is the flu.

His shot isn't that great and I rarely see him pass.

I don't even want to see him come close to the border of Colorado.

I don't mind Hinrich, however.

I'd love to see Smith on this team, but I seriously doubt Denver will make any moves to obtain him.

I wish they will prove me wrong :D

AI
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM

If this is true, I would do it if I can line up another deal that can land us a good starting PF.

PG - Hinrich
SG - Iverson
SF - Carmelo
PF - "?"
C - Nene

You'd have a good bench rotation with Hughes, JR, Kleiza, Balkman, Anderson coming off the bench. I like that deal not to mention it gives us even more cap flexibility because Kenyon's contract is way more than Hughes.

Maybe you can package Hughes along with some other players for Rasheed.

AI
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Also i'd like to remind you that yes Kenyon is a good defender but we'd adress our main flaw by getting a quality point guard in return. Makes our team better overall.

Maybe you can package Hughes, Kleiza, Trade Exception for Josh Smith?

Crunchy12489
08-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Also i'd like to remind you that yes Kenyon is a good defender but we'd adress our main flaw by getting a quality point guard in return. Makes our team better overall.

Maybe you can package Hughes, Kleiza, Trade Exception for Josh Smith?

I agree with this.

C-Dub
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM
me too, Hughes contract does suck though, i love josh smith, i wish we could get him

PapelbonLester
08-02-2008, 07:11 PM
wow if we got kirk and hughes. hughes and jr of the bench we'd have to deal one of em for a big man. dont think we want to start klezia at the 4 or balkman. we'll see

DJiC
08-03-2008, 11:39 AM
if we can get josh smith do this deal lets run the crap out of everyone and have some defense to back it up it be nice seeing hinrich/ai/melo/smith run up and down the court...if melo can increase his defense in olympic play by playing along side guys like prince/howard/bryant/paul/etc. then theres no stopping us